Hmmmm, Formal Bath Robes?

travelmatron

OK, help a newbie out here. Aren't we supposed to wear a robe when enroute to the pool or spa out of respect for other folks onboard?

You're supposed to wear a cover-up. That can be a long t-shirt, a muumuu, something sold as a beach cover-up.

Passengers had no problem covering their swimsuits before HAL started furnishing robes in every cabin.

hugh2.jpg

If that was the guy, I would be demanding the Maitre'D put him (and his entourage) at my table.

Seriously though. If the bathrobe guy sat at my table and at least was a decent fella ( I guess its a possibility *LOL) I would just laugh it off I think.

If he was ragging me about my attire, I would definately ask the Maitre"D to do something QUICK!!!!! *LOL*

We visited on Eurodam when she was in Boston and saw 'the tarp man'. We didn't know what to make out of him. We were coming through Black Falcon Terminal and he was coming out. My jaw dropped. :D

Who/what was that??

If Mr. Bathrobe was at our table........ I don't think he'd be there for long. No, I would not dine with anyone in a bathrobe in the dining room. Wouldn't happen.

Apparently the gentleman wearing the 'green tarp'( supposedly it is sail cloth) lost his wife under tragic circumstances.

If this is indeed the case,whatever emotional issues he is dealing with this attire seemed to bring him comfort. Needless to say he intrigued many of his fellow cruisers.:) Lots of jaw dropping and looks of bewilderment.myself included.

However a far cry from some baffoon ,trying to make a statement, by wearing a bathrobe to dinner

Oh and it is my understanding "the gentleman in green" wore a tux on formal night.

Dear RevNeal,

No where in my post did I indicate posting a picture of the robed man on CC or anywhere else on the web. Thanks for the advice regardless!;)

True. You suggested taking the photo ... I suggested not posting it. I was simply trying to interject a bit of humor and a bit of helpful advice. :)

To all males - If bathrobe-wearing Hugh sat at your table with the gals in tow, would you really request to be moved? Hmmm...oh, how your values can be skewed by a skirt, or lack thereof. :D

Diane

Hey I resemble that remark :)

This thread reminds me of an old Red Skelton skit . He shows up at a fancy black tie party in his pajamas.

The mortified hostess asks him why he is dressed that way.

He replies " The invitation said "evening clothes' didn't it?" :) :) :)

I assume you meant "sack cloth," not "sail cloth" ?

The fellow has my condolences.

Nope ,it was sail cloth . Looked like a very thick vinyl table cloth or tarp,he told a fellow passenger it was sail cloth.( there are more details of his story in my review "Eurodam Our Story' ) DH felt it very well could have been the canvas like material used for sails. It was most bizarre.

My first reaction was it might have been a spa treatment,DH thought maybe a New Age priest.( no collar like yours though:)) He had everyone speculating,I hope his 'green blanket' eased his pain and with time his grief will soften.

The crew seemed to be looking out for him and I hope he enjoyed his cruise as much as we did.

Apparently the gentleman wearing the 'green tarp'( supposedly it is sail cloth) lost his wife under tragic circumstances.

If this is indeed the case,whatever emotional issues he is dealing with this attire seemed to bring him comfort. Needless to say he intrigued many of his fellow cruisers.:) Lots of jaw dropping and looks of bewilderment.myself included.

However a far cry from some baffoon ,trying to make a statement, by wearing a bathrobe to dinner

Oh and it is my understanding "the gentleman in green" wore a tux on formal night.

Wow

And people wonder why my sisters and I worked so hard to get my mother out of being in all black so soon after my dad died. It could have gotten wayyyyy out of hand and she could have been the "tarp' lady :(

To all males - If bathrobe-wearing Hugh sat at your table with the gals in tow, would you really request to be moved? Hmmm...oh, how your values can be skewed by a skirt, or lack thereof. :D

Diane

:confused: Someone's wearing a robe in that photo? Somehow I hadn't noticed.

:D:p:D

It's amazing to me how many people let what OTHER people are wearing affect the quality of their own experience. Is it really necessary for other people to be "in uniform" for you to enjoy yourselves?

I just don't get it.

Marc

It's amazing to me how many people let what OTHER people are wearing affect the quality of their own experience. Is it really necessary for other people to be "in uniform" for you to enjoy yourselves?

I just don't get it.

Hello Marc. By your above-quoted statement would it be reasonable for us to conclude that you don't see anything wrong with someone dressed in a bath robe (and, probably, very little else) having dinner in the main dining room on a formal (or any other) night? I'm not trying to start a fight -- I'm just trying to understand what it is you're saying.

I just don't get it.

Marc

Marc, I think you are miss-reading the responses to the original post. I didn't read any responses saying that Bathrobe Guy would "affect the quality of their own experience". On the contrary, several chatted about what they would do so their experiences wouldn't be affected: ignore it, move, ask that he be moved, remind him of the dress code...whatever, but no one said it would make a difference to their evening.

There have been many discussions on this board dining room attire. Formal nights, and blue jeans in the dining room come up often, but this was different. This wasn't a case of someone not knowing what was expected, or not being able to afford formal wear, or being comfortable in it, this was an obvious choice. If he literally had no clothes to wear, he could have ordered room service. To paraphrase someone early in the thread, "there isn't a restaurant in town that would seat someone in bathrobe."

It was so outside the norm that I found myself thinking about it after the cruise, and wondering why he did that. In his mind, I think there was a purpose. The straw hat by itself would have attracted attention if that had been his goal, or looked silly if he were trying to make a joke. If he wanted to prove the Dining Room Manager would let anyone it, he accomplished that. But why go to that extent? Since I don't know what his point was, the bathrobe must not have been effective way of communicating it.

The bathrobe sounds a little odd. My first guess would be his tux didn't come back from dry cleaning and he was making a statement. That being said...my DH always says I have quite the imagination.:rolleyes:

I'm thinking "Lost a sports wager". I know a few clowns here in Central Florida who have done much worse in public to pay off a wager.

You're supposed to wear a cover-up. That can be a long t-shirt, a muumuu, something sold as a beach cover-up.

Passengers had no problem covering their swimsuits before HAL started furnishing robes in every cabin.

I agree 100% Ruth ..... that's why so many of us were shocked with Elizabeth the CD made her announcement (I think you may have gotten a free bingo card or something if you showed up in your robe or pj's .... but the free bingo card we got for missing the port of Victoria was only if we bought one or two, then we'd get one free) We've actually had this discussion with friends that stay in lovely hotels ..... would they ever walk through a public room in their hotel supplied bathrobe and they all said 'no', but one did mention that they do try sometimes to sneak down a back elevator to for a spa appointment.

Pat

I'm thinking "Lost a sports wager". I know a few clowns here in Central Florida who have done much worse in public to pay off a wager.

You mean like shaving your head , painting your toe nails bright red, getting up and singing "I am Woman" at Kareoke .

I wouldn't know anything about such wagers *LOL*

To be clear: I wear a dark suit on formal evenings and dress appropriately at other times, according to HAL's stated suggestions.

RevNeal, What I'm saying is that I don't care what anyone else is wearing. If they are comfortable, I'm comfortable. If someone sits down at my table wearing a bathrobe, shorts and sandals, mixed stripes and plaids, stark naked, whatever, I'm fine with any of it.

Travelmatron, you said:

I didn't read any responses saying that Bathrobe Guy would "affect the quality of their own experience". On the contrary, several chatted about what they would do so their experiences wouldn't be affected: ignore it, move, ask that he be moved, remind him of the dress code...

In the above statement, by saying that people may try to do various things so that "their experiences wouldn't be affected", you are acknowledging my point.

I've read lots of threads here about people's reactions to how other people are dressed. It's a recurrent theme. There are many people for whom someone else's appearance affects the quality of their experience. That seems like a losing proposition to me.

Here's the "Serenity Prayer": God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.

My wisdom tells me that how someone else chooses to dress is one of those things that cannot be changed by me. My wisdom also tells me that even if there was a way for me to impose my preference about someone else's attire, it wouldn't be a worthy way for me to spend my time on my vacation.

Marc

I agree 100% Ruth ..... that's why so many of us were shocked with Elizabeth the CD made her announcement (I think you may have gotten a free bingo card or something if you showed up in your robe or pj's .... but the free bingo card we got for missing the port of Victoria was only if we bought one or two, then we'd get one free) We've actually had this discussion with friends that stay in lovely hotels ..... would they ever walk through a public room in their hotel supplied bathrobe and they all said 'no', but one did mention that they do try sometimes to sneak down a back elevator to for a spa appointment.

Pat

I could see a ship sponsered activity or stunt all in good fun in which you wear a bathrobe or pajamas. Out on deck or in a lounge or showroom.

But wearing it all on your own doing to dinner is pushing teh envelope.

Archived