Hmmmm, Formal Bath Robes?

travelmatron

Question for the folks. If the fellow in the robe, was seated at your table either in traditional or anytime, would you stay at the table or leave?

My closest experience was at a table for 10 where 5 men came to formal night in jeans and plaid short sleeve shirts the exact small clothes they wore each night to the dining room. I could have overlooked it except they started ragging on DH for letting the cruise line boss him around and make him wear a tux. DH is easy going, no problem to him, he doesn't even remember their comments (I need to take a lesson). But now I think if someone is that mismatched with our tastes, I think I would go to be reseated.

Ideas? Flames?

Thanks.

I think their behaviour was tacky in the extreme. I may have looked into changing tables - for them to be moved.

1. On the last “formal night” of our Oosterdam cruise last week a man at the next table came in his bathrobe and some kind of green straw hat.

2. On the first “formal night”, as we were commenting that we saw more tuxedos on Norwegian than Holland America,

3. (on formal night continued) we noticed another man several tables away in a black tee shirt with one of the boutonnieres that are given to suite passengers.

4. Let’s admit it openly; it’s getting silly for HAL to even bother calling it a “formal night”.

5. I felt a twinge of sympathy for the passengers who paid extra baggage fees to pack sports coats, suits, and/or tuxedos, thinking that they were necessary.

6. To those who rented a tuxedo through the cruise line, I only hope their significant others appreciated the effort.

I think you are pulling legs here. LOL

In any case it was fun to read. :D

Question for the folks. If the fellow in the robe, was seated at your table either in traditional or anytime, would you stay at the table or leave?

My closest experience was at a table for 10 where 5 men came to formal night in jeans and plaid short sleeve shirts the exact small clothes they wore each night to the dining room. I could have overlooked it except they started ragging on DH for letting the cruise line boss him around and make him wear a tux. DH is easy going, no problem to him, he doesn't even remember their comments (I need to take a lesson). But now I think if someone is that mismatched with our tastes, I think I would go to be reseated.

Ideas? Flames?

Thanks.

My guy is easy going as well. He would probably turn to the fellow and say " See that lady I am with,( the one with the steam coming out of her ears) Well I have some advice for you. RUN , FOREST! RUN !!:D

My guy is easy going as well. He would probably turn to the fellow and say " See that lady I am with,( the one with the steam coming out of her ears) Well I have some advice for you. RUN , FOREST! RUN !!:D

Love it. :)

It sure helps when you're able to tag-team someone like that.

If it were a Formal Night and someone(s) came to my table dressed in casual night clothing I would do what I have done when it has happened in the past -- and it has -- I will pretend that it wasn't happening, eat my dinner, engage in friendly conversation, and enjoy myself. Life on a cruise is way too much fun to worry about such things; if they want to be underdressed, that's their problem ... not mine.

HOWEVER, if they started "ragging" on me "for letting the cruise line boss me around and making me wear a tux," I would smile and ask them -- very politely -- behave like adults to keep their uninvited opinions to themselves. If that didn't work I would probably offer a gentle suggestion that "perhaps they would like to have dinner in the Lido tonight?" And, if that didn't work, I would have the Area Supervisor come over and I would ask him, in front of those who had been ragging me, to find me a different table because, clearly, I wasn't welcome at my own. No, dear Ruth, I wouldn't ask them to be moved ... I would ask to be moved because THEY were being nasty.

Colleyberry, was it you who had commented about the man in the tarp, or was that someone else? There goes the memory again... :o

We visited on Eurodam when she was in Boston and saw 'the tarp man'. We didn't know what to make out of him. We were coming through Black Falcon Terminal and he was coming out. My jaw dropped. :D

Who/what was that??

If Mr. Bathrobe was at our table........ I don't think he'd be there for long. No, I would not dine with anyone in a bathrobe in the dining room. Wouldn't happen.

No, dear Ruth, I wouldn't ask them to be moved ... I would ask to be moved because THEY were being nasty.

A perfect example of two complementary rules:

No good deed will go unpunished/Crime pays. This comes under the "Crime pays" side of the ledger.

The question though, Greg, was not if the tablemate were to find fault with you for observing the dress code du jour, but rather, what would you do if the tablemate were to arrive "dressed" in a robe.

I see no reason for me to have to leave when I am not the one in such flagrant violation of any taste whatsoever.

I have to admit that I'm glad Bathrobe Guy wasn't at our table, and that we were part of such an interesting conversation that I didn't even notice when he was seated. Fortunatley our table mates, if not formal, were certainly not casual.

I'm not sure what kind of dress to call a bathrobe, maybe "intimate". There are a lot of people in robes on their verandahs. I've seen people in the elevators near the Spa in robes. I've noticed people going to the Neptune Lounge in Robes. I think I'm grateful that I haven't been to Bingo were robes were deemed appropriate. Maybe I should really be thankful that HAL provides everyone with robes. I hate to think what the alternatives to a bathrobe might be!;)

A perfect example of two complementary rules:

No good deed will go unpunished/Crime pays. This comes under the "Crime pays" side of the ledger.

The question though, Greg, was not if the tablemate were to find fault with you for observing the dress code du jour, but rather, what would you do if the tablemate were to arrive "dressed" in a robe.

I see no reason for me to have to leave when I am not the one in such flagrant violation of any taste whatsoever.

I now see the question was about the situation of a person in a robe; my comment was more about the situation of casually dressed people on formal night giving the properly dressed a hard time.

In case of the robed person, I think I would still ask for a table change but be less adamant om him leaving. I would just wish to get away from that and the dining room manager can figure out how to make it happen.

I chose to answer the secondary (implied) question -- what would I do if one or more passengers came to my table on formal night dressed in casual night clothing and proceeded to berate me for dressing according to the formal night code -- because the bathrobe question is, in my opinion, simply too extreem for a realistic response that wouldn't occasion fire breathing judgementalism from the "anything goes" crowd. The question to which I responded is, essentially, what happens here on this board all the time. The wearing of a bathrobe to dinner, on the other hand, is simply not a likely occurrence demanding an actual, real world response.

However ...

IF someone were to come to my dinner table in the Main Dining Room on any evening (casual or formal) dressed in a bathrobe, I would politely inquire as to what they thought they were doing and, if they refused to return to their stateroom and change clothing, I would ask the Maitre'D to remove the bathrobe wearing passenger from my table.

Anyone who steps outside of their cabin or balcony in their bathrobe shows a lack of respect for their shipmates.

OK, help a newbie out here. Aren't we supposed to wear a robe when enroute to the pool or spa out of respect for other folks onboard? But don't get me wrong, a robe in the dining room is NOT appropriate, at any time!

John

Archived