Hmmmm, Formal Bath Robes?

travelmatron

On the last “formal night” of our Oosterdam cruise last week a man at the next table came in his bathrobe and some kind of green straw hat. My guess is that he thought it was funny, and when you think about it, there is nothing in any of the pre-cruise material that says you need street clothes in the dinning room. On the first “formal night”, as we were commenting that we saw more tuxedos on Norwegian than Holland America, we noticed another man several tables away in a black tee shirt with one of the boutonnieres that are given to suite passengers. Both were probably trying to make some sort of statement, but I’m not clear what they were trying to convey.

Let’s admit it openly; it’s getting silly for HAL to even bother calling it a “formal night”. I felt a twinge of sympathy for the passengers who paid extra baggage fees to pack sports coats, suits, and/or tuxedos, thinking that they were necessary. To those who rented a tuxedo through the cruise line, I only hope their significant others appreciated the effort.

I didn't want to stare and make him feel uncomfortable...
Why not?? Dressing in such a manor, one has to know they are going to draw attention - probably the reason for doing so. What I really want to know is WHY he was allowed in the dining room in the first place. I have NO doubt that any restaurant around here wouldn't have seated him. :eek:

On the last “formal night” of our Oosterdam cruise last week a man at the next table came in his bathrobe and some kind of green straw hat. My guess is that he thought it was funny, and when you think about it, there is nothing in any of the pre-cruise material that says you need street clothes in the dinning room.
My only comment would be that the dining room manager was an idiot for allowing him in. Yes, there's nothing wrong with "making a statement" ... I do it all the time. But this sort of thing is ridiculous and borders on insulting.

True, I wear a "tee-shirt" with multi-colored reinstones on it for some formal nights and did so on my last cruise. But, my "tee-shirt" is appropriately accessorized, with a nice blazer over top and a nice pair of velvet pants. It honestly does not look like a tee-shirt.

But these people? I would have turned both of these gentlemen away at the dining room entrance.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thank you for sharing what you observed in the dining room on your cruise.

Thankfully, to date, we have not yet seen anything like that.

Sure, there is the odd person here and there who dresses rudely with no respect for those around them but most dress nicely and clearly make an effort.

HAL continues to have formal nights because more guests than not want them, is my guess.

I was pleased to see the Rotterdam dining room manager tell a man, in a sweater, that he needed to wear a jacket to enter the dining room on a formal night. The man was putting up quite an argument, but I hope he did as was told.

ok, I'm glad to read your comments. I don't think I care very much what other people wear. My DH wears a tux, and I think he looks great. But I agree with Mary Ellen and Kryros that not only do I wonder what 'Bathrobe Guy' was thinking, but I also wonder why he was seated. I wondered if I was the only one who felt it was rather rude. Ruth may have answered my question as to what their statement was.

On the last “formal night” of our Oosterdam cruise last week a man at the next table came in his bathrobe and some kind of green straw hat. My guess is that he thought it was funny, and when you think about it, there is nothing in any of the pre-cruise material that says you need street clothes in the dinning room. On the first “formal night”, as we were commenting that we saw more tuxedos on Norwegian than Holland America, we noticed another man several tables away in a black tee shirt with one of the boutonnieres that are given to suite passengers. Both were probably trying to make some sort of statement, but I’m not clear what they were trying to convey.

Let’s admit it openly; it’s getting silly for HAL to even bother calling it a “formal night”. I felt a twinge of sympathy for the passengers who paid extra baggage fees to pack sports coats, suits, and/or tuxedos, thinking that they were necessary. To those who rented a tuxedo through the cruise line, I only hope their significant others appreciated the effort.[/quo

On every cruise and there have been many I carry my in built tape recorder, the tape is, what have you done about it? Nine out of ten times the answer is nothing. Remember if we stand for nothing we fall for anything.

I would have gotten a picture of that one, even if it did piss him off!

We had a solo traveling women who came dressed to the 1st formal dinner in a t-shirt and sweats at our table playing it off like she did not know. She never showed for the 2nd formal dinner but was dressed appropriately for the other nights at the table. It did not ruin our dinner, but was a first, and we still bring it up in conversation once in a while.

Cruising....memories for a life time!

I was pleased to see the Rotterdam dining room manager tell a man, in a sweater, that he needed to wear a jacket to enter the dining room on a formal night. The man was putting up quite an argument, but I hope he did as was told.

I hope I have the same dining room manager for my upcoming ROTTERDAM cruise! My last cruise (and first) I was seated with a family that wore Hawaiian and cowboy shirts on formal night. We were dressed in formal attire. Unfortunately, it was uncomfortable for all parties.

John

Not a huge fan of formal , God knows I have done my share of outrageous things in my day. but showing up for dinner ANYWHERE in a just a bathrobe is pushing it (even for me)

Would have liked to know what statement the guy was trying to make myself though *LOL*

Whatever you do, unless you have an affinity for tar and feathers I wouldn't recommend posting such a photo on cruise critic. :) ;) :D

Is that the voice of experience I hear ? :) :) :)

How have you been RevNeal ? Hope that you and your mom have been holding up well.

I gave up on the Dress Code wars long ago. People will dress however they want, and there's nothing I can do about it. I'll just continue to dress Formally on Formal Nights and Informally on Smart Casual Nights ... as suits my comfort and preference.

Nevertheless, I am thankful that our friendly formal night haters finally appear to agree that this, at least, is "over the line."

Is that the voice of experience I hear ? :) :) :)

I was plucking off those feathers for quite some time. ;)

It was one of the hardest online lessons I've ever had to learn.

How have you been RevNeal ? Hope that you and your mom have been holding up well.

I'm doing well, all things considered. My grandmother is in an unchanged condition in the Hospice Nursing Home. No change. She could keep on living for months or even years ... or, she could not wake up in the morning.

I hope I have the same dining room manager for my upcoming ROTTERDAM cruise! My last cruise (and first) I was seated with a family that wore Hawaiian and cowboy shirts on formal night. We were dressed in formal attire. Unfortunately, it was uncomfortable for all parties.

John

You know, this situation might actually be a part of the solution. The dining room manager is right there when people come in. He could simply have people seated according to how relatively formally they are dressed. The tuxedos to one area, the suits and nice dresses in another, and the truly casual in a third. That way the passengers could chose what they want to wear, and be seated with others who have made the same choice. It might not work as well for those with assigned seating, but for those who have open seating it would seem a possibility. Anyway, he might suggest room service for those in bathrobes.

Question for the folks. If the fellow in the robe, was seated at your table either in traditional or anytime, would you stay at the table or leave?

My closest experience was at a table for 10 where 5 men came to formal night in jeans and plaid short sleeve shirts the exact small clothes they wore each night to the dining room. I could have overlooked it except they started ragging on DH for letting the cruise line boss him around and make him wear a tux. DH is easy going, no problem to him, he doesn't even remember their comments (I need to take a lesson). But now I think if someone is that mismatched with our tastes, I think I would go to be reseated.

Ideas? Flames?

Thanks.

You know, this situation might actually be a part of the solution. The dining room manager is right there when people come in. He could simply have people seated according to how relatively formally they are dressed. The tuxedos to one area, the suits and nice dresses in another, and the truly casual in a third. That way the passengers could chose what they want to wear, and be seated with others who have made the same choice. It might not work as well for those with assigned seating, but for those who have open seating it would seem a possibility. Anyway, he might suggest room service for those in bathrobes.

I paid good money for this cruise and for this t-shirt and jeans and I want to sit at the best table in the dining room! :rolleyes::D:eek:

Archived