Annoyed with Holds...

Bert64

So I got off the Valor on Sunday, Nov. 16. On Monday, Nov. 17 all my charges for my onboard account were charged to my credit card. But Carnival is STILL holding charges on my account. I called my credit card company to verify what the "pending charges" were that are on my account and it is indeed Carnival. I call Carnival, and the lady on the phone claims they don't place 'holds' for more than 24 hours. Clearly, the Carnival lady has no idea what she's talking about, as I haven't used my credit card since for even 1% of what's pending on my account AND I called my credit card company and they've also confirmed that it's Carnival who still has these holds on my card.

It doesn't really affect me, in that I have plenty of room on my card (I don't carry over balances and my credit limit is high enough where I have PLENTY of room), but if you're someone who maybe carries over balances or doesn't have a few thousand dollars in wiggle room on your credit card, having these holds on your account for over a week may impact you.

I know there was a thread about this last week, and some people were claiming there were no holds and it was okay to use debit cards and it's not a big deal, but I'd just like to give a heads up to anyone considering using a debit card. I'd be a lot more annoyed if this was a hold on an account I use to pay bills on and I couldn't access the money, at least this is a no balance credit card that really won't impact me.

If they've already charged my account for the complete total of my onboard expenses, I don't know why they haven't released the the 'holds' on my account.

It takes from 3 to 10 days for a hold to be released from your account. Carnival places a test hold on the account to see if there are sufficient funds. At the end of the cruise they put in a final charge. The hold is then allowed to expire. Some banks remove it as soon as they see the charge go through and others do not.

There are going to be some mis-led people if they believed that other thread especially those who are using debit cards.

Dave

It doesn't really affect me, ....

I'd just like to give a heads up to anyone considering using a debit card. I'd be a lot more annoyed if this was a hold on an account I use to pay bills on and I couldn't access the money, at least this is a no balance credit card that really won't impact me.

If the hold doesnt affect you why are you annoyed? Why post that your hold is on a credit card and its just a hold, but if it was a hold on a debit card that would be even more annoying for someone else. If its just a pending charge, it wouldnt actually be debited from their account any more than it would on a credit card. Either you have enough credit or cash in your checking account so its not a problem or you dont. Why be annoyed.

I had a much larger hold placed when I rented a car with a debit card and it took them over a month to remove the hold. Now thats annoying, not a couple of days hold. They said it was up to the bank not up to the car rental place when a hold was released, that they had no say in when to release the hold. Talk to whomever issued the card, so the person you need to be upset with is the card issuer, not Carnival. Seems to me you are upset over nothing.

If they've already charged my account for the complete total of my onboard expenses, I don't know why they haven't released the the 'holds' on my account.

.... again, this removing of holds is up to your bank or whomever issued your card, Carnival has nothing to do with releasing the hold. You say thats what your bank told you, and its true. You are blaming the wrong entity. I actually had to call my bank after a month to get the hold released when I rented that car, it was up to the bank, not the car rental place.

So I got off the Valor on Sunday, Nov. 16. On Monday, Nov. 17 all my charges for my onboard account were charged to my credit card. But Carnival is STILL holding charges on my account.

I'm just curious how you know this. The only reason I've ever known about these "holds" is here, but I certainly haven't checked, nor has it ever affected me. I'd be freaked if I ever even came close to maxing out a card, and it would serve me right if I exceeded it due to a hold to be turned down for a purchase.

If the hold doesnt affect you why are you annoyed? Why post that your hold is on a credit card and its just a hold, but if it was a hold on a debit card that would be even more annoying for someone else. If its just a pending charge, it wouldnt actually be debited from their account any more than it would on a credit card. Either you have enough credit or cash in your checking account so its not a problem or you dont. Why be annoyed.

I had a much larger hold placed when I rented a car with a debit card and it took them over a month to remove the hold. Now thats annoying, not a couple of days hold. They said it was up to the bank not up to the car rental place when a hold was released, that they had no say in when to release the hold. Talk to whomever issued the card, so the person you need to be upset with is the card issuer, not Carnival. Seems to me you are upset over nothing.

Well, because there was another post last week with Carnival cheerleaders like yourself who claimed that Carnival doesn't place holds and to go ahead and use your debit card because it won't have an impact on you. I'm letting people know they DO IN FACT PLACE HOLDS, often times for substantial amounts, and if you go by what the "Carnival Can Do No Wrong Crowd" that you belong to, than they'll be in for a rude awakening.

I don't like companies HOLDING onto ANYTHING of mine for over a week when they've already been paid. You must of been lied to about the card company releasing the holds as well - Carnival has to release it. I just got off the phone with the credit card company, so you are terribly misinformed.

I'm just curious how you know this. The only reason I've ever known about these "holds" is here, but I certainly haven't checked, nor has it ever affected me. I'd be freaked if I ever even came close to maxing out a card, and it would serve me right if I exceeded it due to a hold to be turned down for a purchase.

My credit card account shows pending charges on my online account...I thought everyone's does that?

My credit card account shows pending charges on my online account...I thought everyone's does that?

So don't look at your online account. Seems simple.

BTW, wouldn't it be YOUR bank that needs to release this hold?

.... again, this removing of holds is up to your bank or whomever issued your card, Carnival has nothing to do with releasing the hold. You say thats what your bank told you, and its true. You are blaming the wrong entity. I actually had to call my bank after a month to get the hold released when I rented that car, it was up to the bank, not the car rental place.

And, AGAIN, I did not use a debit card, therefore I don't need to call the bank. I called my CREDIT CARD COMPANY, since I used a CREDIT CARD. And the CREDIT CARD COMPANY told me, yes, it's Carnival placing the hold. And also that CARNIVAL has to release it. A credit card company can't just go around releasing things on a card whenever someone calls...how do they know whether the company is holding it for a legitimate charge or whether it was just a hold for sufficient funds?

I would be annoyed also. "Pending charges" imply there may be more charges to come or it affords Carnival the opportunity to bill for something more than what is on your Sign & Sail statement. Will further charges happen..Probably not...but the issue is for people who keep tight accounting of what goes on their credit cards (as I'm guessing the OP does since they have high limits on multiple cards & always pay in full), you don't like things open ended. Who knows, if that happens to me on my next cruise & shortly afterwards I decide I'm buying my husband that Rolex on my credit card, the Carnival hold may prevent him from getting it : )

But seriously, in my opinion, once they close your sailing account & the next people are sailing away in "your" cabin, that should be that in regard to your credit card.

And, AGAIN, I did not use a debit card, therefore I don't need to call the bank. I called my CREDIT CARD COMPANY, since I used a CREDIT CARD. And the CREDIT CARD COMPANY told me, yes, it's Carnival placing the hold. And also that CARNIVAL has to release it. A credit card company can't just go around releasing things on a card whenever someone calls...how do they know whether the company is holding it for a legitimate charge or whether it was just a hold for sufficient funds?

The same thing happened to me, on a regular credit card. Took 5 days for the holds to fall off..

On a statement?

No, online. I don't even get paper statements anymore...I check my online account every night, just to make sure everything went throught right, I wasn't overcharged, etc. and also to make sure all my pending charges are right (i.e. what I've actually spent and what the credit card company says I've spent matches).

So when I go on there and it says I have over $1500 pending in charges, yet I haven't even spent $50 on that card other than the Carnival charges, I know something isn't adding up...

So don't look at your online account. Seems simple.

BTW, wouldn't it be YOUR bank that needs to release this hold?

Haha, yeah, don't look at my account to verify my credt card charges are accurate and to ward off any possible fraudulant activity before it becomes an issue. That seems like a real *bright* idea...

And again, I'm sorry to say something about Carnival since it bothers you so much, but NO, they have to release it. Credit Card companies just can't go releasing things because someone calls and asks them to. What if Carnival really did need to charge me $500 and I just called and asked the credit card company to release it? Like I said before, they don't know whether the Carnival has placed something on my account for a legitimate charge or because they were just wanting to make sure I had sufficient funds in the account. So just releasing it upon request doesn't seem very smart, does it?

Haha, yeah, don't look at my account to verify my credt card charges are accurate and to ward off any possible fraudulant activity before it becomes an issue. That seems like a real *bright* idea...

Wow. Can't think what we did before the internet.

Oh, and siss, boom, bah.... :rolleyes:

I've been preaching on this one forever and was even told recently that the hold was just a "myth." I have seen it on my own cruises happen just like what you posted.

As a banker, I've also seen people over draw when usuing a debit card for travel industry charges. These holds are standard with hotels, car rentals and cruises. Restaurants also often place a hold for 20% more than your total bill to cover any tip you may leave. So if you charge the tab and leave a cash tip - you still have a hold on your card for more than you even spent in that case.

In most cases, holds drop off at the same time the actual charge posts. The problem comes when things don't match up just right. There isn't someone sitting in a room at the bank examining each person's account and manually removing holds - it's all done automatically. Occasionally something tricks the system and Carnival's way of posting charges seems to do that. The hold will fall off in 5-10 business days since nothing else comes through to reconcile with it.

This hold issue can't really be blamed on either party or the other. Every bank uses different systems to reconcile these things, just like not every merchant submits charges through the same system or in the same way. Sometimes the two don't mesh perfectly, sometimes they do. This is why some CC members swear they never have holds and others do.

The bottom line is, unless you know the inner workings of your bank's computer systems and hold processes AND whether or not they mesh with Carnival's current innner workings and hold processes - you really shouldn't use a debit card unless you have double the amount of you S&S bill available to be tied up for as much as 2 weeks after the cruise.

And never, ever, use a debit card in a foreign port.

Ok, off my soapbox now... :)

I've been preaching on this one forever and was even told recently that the hold was just a "myth." I have seen it on my own cruises happen just like what you posted.

As a banker, I've also seen people over draw when usuing a debit card for travel industry charges. These holds are standard with hotels, car rentals and cruises. Restaurants also often place a hold for 20% more than your total bill to cover any tip you may leave. So if you charge the tab and leave a cash tip - you still have a hold on your card for more than you even spent in that case.

In most cases, holds drop off at the same time the actual charge posts. The problem comes when things don't match up just right. There isn't someone sitting in a room at the bank examining each person's account and manually removing holds - it's all done automatically. Occasionally something tricks the system and Carnival's way of posting charges seems to do that. The hold will fall off in 5-10 business days since nothing else comes through to reconcile with it.

This hold issue can't really be blamed on either party or the other. Every bank uses different systems to reconcile these things, just like not every merchant submits charges through the same system or in the same way. Sometimes the two don't mesh perfectly, sometimes they do. This is why some CC members swear they never have holds and others do.

The bottom line is, unless you know the inner workings of your bank's computer systems and hold processes AND whether or not they mesh with Carnival's current innner workings and hold processes - you really shouldn't use a debit card unless you have double the amount of you S&S bill available to be tied up for as much as 2 weeks after the cruise.

And never, ever, use a debit card in a foreign port.

Ok, off my soapbox now... :)

The poster is talking about a regular credit card, not a debit card..Seem to be difficult to get the point across that it is not a debit card..

Well, because there was another post last week with Carnival cheerleaders like yourself who claimed that Carnival doesn't place holds and to go ahead and use your debit card because it won't have an impact on you. I'm letting people know they DO IN FACT PLACE HOLDS, often times for substantial amounts, and if you go by what the "Carnival Can Do No Wrong Crowd" that you belong to, than they'll be in for a rude awakening.

I don't like companies HOLDING onto ANYTHING of mine for over a week when they've already been paid. You must of been lied to about the card company releasing the holds as well - Carnival has to release it. I just got off the phone with the credit card company, so you are terribly misinformed.

Sorry, your first premise is wrong wrong wrong. I havent been even close to a cheerleader since the Ike cruise when the purser's desk repeatedly hung up on us if we called from the cabins and a few things that I experienced. If you cant even tell Im not a Carnival cheerleader, why would I think you know what you are talking about. Before you accuse someone of being a cheerleader, get your facts straight.

Since my Carnival cruise, Iv booked QM2 and two RCL cruises, no more Carnival cruises. Have a couple more booked but not booking more.

People throw words around without facts way too often here.

Your bank can also keep the hold on even after Carnival releases it. If its just the day you get back, of course it could be Carnival. If its a month later, its probably your bank not Carnival. Again, you are throwing facts around. A hold one day after you come back, pffff. I admit I think this is a big fuss over nothing. Even the OP said it didnt affect him adversely, he just wanted to say he was annoyed. Get over it. Carnival will put a hold on the money, prepare for it.

I am far from a Carnival cheerleader, ..... again. Just a way of trying to dismiss that I feel you need to be prepared for it and get over it or stay home.

The poster is talking about a regular credit card, not a debit card..Seem to be difficult to get the point across that it is not a debit card..

And I'm so thankful it wasn't a debit card - my boyfriend was about to use his for our account, and we we're going back and forth about it on the shuttle to the port, as he was convinced (as some people on here are) that this whole hold thing is, as someone said, 'a myth', or it won't be a problem, or the bank won't be holding on to the money, etc. Thankfully, we used my credit card...but I did tell him I bet he's enjoying having that $1500 in his checking acccount accessible this whole week :D

My whole point to the post was to clear up about the post last week where people were saying 1) there were no holds and 2) it's not an issue to use a debit card. So, be VERY careful with what you use on your account if you don't have wiggle room on your credit card, and I just flat-out WOULD NOT use a debit card. In this economy, with things being tight, someone might have an emergency or something come up, and be relying on that extra couple thousand dollars on their credit card which they might not have access to for over a week after their cruise.

And, AGAIN. You posted that you came on just to warn debit folks this could happen to them that if you had a debit card you would have been even more annoyed. I was replying to your post which got into debit cards. Never said YOU had a debit card. AGAIN.

Just expect a hold and then you wouldnt have a problem.

Bert, I know that Hotels place a hold on credit cards, but I haven't had a problem with my card and Carnival.

Did you book a hotel before the cruise?

Fred

I did, but it was prepaid well before the cruise, so I didn't give them my CC at the hotel (we were only there for a night, so I didn't even leave it for incidentals).

When I left for the cruise, I paid the card and had $0 in pending charges. I didn't use my CC AT ALL during the cruise, except at check in at Miami for the sail and sign card. So, basically, in 2 weeks, other than for Carnival and using it for my Sail and Sign card, I've used it for about $50 in charges, yet there is a hold of over $1500. And I called the CC company who confirmed that it's from Carnival.

So, Carnival charged my account on Monday. I expect there to be a hold for a day or so, but after they've charged me for what I've spent, I don't think it's reasonable to be holding anything on my CC...it's been nearly a week and what I spend with them has already been posted to my account. Like someone said, I think once they charge your card for what you've spent, it seems as though they would release any holds they put on it.

And, AGAIN. You posted that you came on just to warn debit folks this could happen to them that if you had a debit card you would have been even more annoyed. I was replying to your post which got into debit cards. Never said YOU had a debit card. AGAIN.

Just expect a hold and then you wouldnt have a problem.

I expect holds...people who came on this board and read that there aren't holds, and Carnival won't hold your money probably won't expect to have credit (or actual money for a debit card) held up for over a week. Which is exactly what I read on this board before I left for the cruise.

Archived