Annoyed with Holds...

Bert64

I called up my credit card company and asked for higher limits because I was going out of the country and needed to spend more than my limit. They had no problem doubling my credit limit. Simple one phone call. Didnt even need a supervisor's ok.

I also pay off each month, so raising my interest wouldnt affect me unless I happened to forget to pay. I got better things to worry about than the interest rate on a card I pay off every month.

That is great, this is not about EVERYONE, this is about generalizations. I too can see our customers gaining more credit. That does not mean that the situation I am referring to is not happening. It is happening left and right, and it is what is causing our call centers volume to spike 180%

I have no idea why certain customers are targeted.. I just know they are. I can see someone with a 800+ score get a reduction from 5k to 1k with no delinquencies reported with us or other creditors, and no change in income. This is something that is going to continue to happen. Why they allow us to increase some, and they take away others??? Well that is not my job, and I cannot answer why.. just that it IS happening!

I have no idea why certain customers are targeted.. I just know they are. I can see someone with a 800+ score get a reduction from 5k to 1k with no delinquencies reported with us or other creditors, and no change in income. This is something that is going to continue to happen. Why they allow us to increase some, and they take away others??? Well that is not my job, and I cannot answer why.. just that it IS happening!

They're targetting them based on the zip code of the billing address and the rate of bankruptcies for that area.

And yes, it is happening. And holds are staying on credit cards longer because with banks going out of business there are fewer clearing houses to transfer the funds.

That is great, this is not about EVERYONE, this is about generalizations. I too can see our customers gaining more credit. That does not mean that the situation I am referring to is not happening. It is happening left and right, and it is what is causing our call centers volume to spike 180%

Well, you didnt respond to my point, which was why would someone care if the interest rate changed if they pay it off in full every month as you stated.

I am aware credit has tightened, and for some that matters, but the interest rate shouldnt be a huge deal if you always are paying in full every month.

They're targetting them based on the zip code of the billing address and the rate of bankruptcies for that area.

And yes, it is happening. And holds are staying on credit cards longer because with banks going out of business there are fewer clearing houses to transfer the funds.

What you are talking about was called, "Red Lining." Red lining was outlawed many years ago. That was the beginning of two new oxymorons, "subprime mortgages," and "toxic assets."

Dan

What you are talking about was called, "Red Lining." Red lining was outlawed many years ago. That was the beginning of two new oxymorons, "subprime mortgages," and "toxic assets."

Dan

Redlining pertains to mortgages.

Besides, who's going to stop people from doing it? The SEC? Yeah, they're real effective ...

Dan

I'm sure they are being careful about it, but the articles I posted the other day stated that they were especially cutting back in areas where home prices had declined sharply and distressed areas... also, people in certain industries. I'm sure there will be fallout over all of this, but the credit card companies are really scrambling at this point...

I'm sure they are being careful about it, but the articles I posted the other day stated that they were especially cutting back in areas where home prices had declined sharply and distressed areas... also, people in certain industries. I'm sure there will be fallout over all of this, but the credit card companies are really scrambling at this point...

Didn't say it wasn't happening, just said it was outlawed many years ago. Doing it makes good business sense [No wonder it was outlawed] and I don't care if it is happening.

Dan

Didn't say it wasn't happening, just said it was outlawed many years ago. Doing it makes good business sense [No wonder it was outlawed] and I don't care if it is happening.

Dan

It does make good business sense, but you will have people outraged, and the people outraged are generally the people that SHOULD have it reduced!! LOL!

Well, like the fuel surcharges, the holds don't bother me.

I was called stupid for not being upset with the fuel surcharge so I guess not being nuts over the holds makes me a real dumbazz.

I use a credit card...have never had any charges that weren't supposed to be there...usually have PENDING show up on my on line statement 50% of the time anyway....if CCL or any line takes a few days to get the charges straight, I don't see the problem. Like Dan (or someone said...maybe Fred??) there once was a time we didn't see anything until we got the statement in the mail.

If they need a week to straighten it out, no big deal.

If you don't have wiggle room, then next time use cash.

All this hysteria on these boards is nuts lately.

Like someone said...there once was a time we didn't see anything until we got the statement in the mail.

If they need a week to straighten it out, no big deal.

If you don't have wiggle room, then next time use cash.

All this hysteria on these boards is nuts lately.

I dunno, until people got off topic, I didn't really see much hysteria in here. Just people trying to figure out what the status quo was for holds from CCL. CCL seems to do things differently than other companies regarding holds (at least, for me, and some others that have posted). Just trying to clear up the confusion so everyone knows how to handle such things, yeah?

Sure, once upon a time, you waited for the statement in the mail. And that was before it was quite as likely someone would yank your CC number and go on an online shopping spree. :) I've had two friends who got their accounts ALL messed up this year, both by restaurant employees. I had a company accidentally double-charge me for a purchase worth over $1000, also this year. Yikes. I check my accounts every few days. It's worth it, to me.

In happier news, to lighten this place up a bit---one of my friends who got her CC number yanked and used was happy to hear they'd caught the girl who did it (employee of a Chili's she had visited). How'd they catch her? She went online and ORDERED STUFF TO HER OWN ADDRESS. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :)

I dunno, until people got off topic, I didn't really see much hysteria in here. Just people trying to figure out what the status quo was for holds from CCL. CCL seems to do things differently than other companies regarding holds (at least, for me, and some others that have posted). Just trying to clear up the confusion so everyone knows how to handle such things, yeah?

Sure, once upon a time, you waited for the statement in the mail. And that was before it was quite as likely someone would yank your CC number and go on an online shopping spree. :) I've had two friends who got their accounts ALL messed up this year, both by restaurant employees. I had a company accidentally double-charge me for a purchase worth over $1000, also this year. Yikes. I check my accounts every few days. It's worth it, to me.

In happier news, to lighten this place up a bit---one of my friends who got her CC number yanked and used was happy to hear they'd caught the girl who did it (employee of a Chili's she had visited). How'd they catch her? She went online and ORDERED STUFF TO HER OWN ADDRESS. Dumb, dumb, dumb. :)

I agree that in today's world, checking your account often is a good thing and see nothing wrong with it and we check ours pretty often. I was just 'thinking out loud' about how before the internet, there may have been holds and people were not aware of them...so because they didn't see it, it was no big deal. Now that they see it they get a little unnerved.

LOL...as for the other thing, I guess some people were not meant to be thieves LOL!!

I was just 'thinking out loud' about how before the internet, there may have been holds and people were not aware of them...so because they didn't see it, it was no big deal. Now that they see it they get a little unnerved.

Before the internet they also did not have debit cards.........I think the real issue is the debit cards because it comes right out of your account, unlike the credit cards.........

Haha, yeah, don't look at my account to verify my credt card charges are accurate and to ward off any possible fraudulant activity before it becomes an issue. That seems like a real *bright* idea...

And again, I'm sorry to say something about Carnival since it bothers you so much, but NO, they have to release it. Credit Card companies just can't go releasing things because someone calls and asks them to. What if Carnival really did need to charge me $500 and I just called and asked the credit card company to release it? Like I said before, they don't know whether the Carnival has placed something on my account for a legitimate charge or because they were just wanting to make sure I had sufficient funds in the account. So just releasing it upon request doesn't seem very smart, does it?

Oh Bert - it clearly shows that you dont know how to manage or direct your anger. You should speak to the bank that issued the card - they can overwrite the "hold". It really isnt the cruise lines fault.

By the way - if you have all this money - and such great amounts of creditlines - why would it annoy you over a simple hold? Most people who really do have bank accounts and large lines of credit - are quite knowledgeable about transactions such as holds, and dont get so easily upset and then rant about it needlessly. Im curious - why do you need to?

I hope it all works out with you !!!!!!!

Well, you didnt respond to my point, which was why would someone care if the interest rate changed if they pay it off in full every month as you stated.

I am aware credit has tightened, and for some that matters, but the interest rate shouldnt be a huge deal if you always are paying in full every month.

I didn't address it because YOU did not ask a question. The point was about the reduced limits, whether customer were paying them off every month or not, in response to another post. Then I mentioned APR's (not every customer pays it off every month) just part of what was happening overall.

Here is what I posted;

Tell that to all of our 800+ FICO customers that have NEVER been late, never over their limit, and payoff each month... yet we are reducing their limits, raising their interest.. it's not pretty, but it is happening!

So really.. what is your deal? We all know that with the exception of residual finance charges, that if the balance is paid in full each month, then there is no APR to worry about. You apparently focus on ONE thing which was really not the point, just another in a list of things I am seeing being done... So really... what is your point? What am I missing?

I didn't address it because YOU did not ask a question. The point was about the reduced limits, whether customer were paying them off every month or not, in response to another post. Then I mentioned APR's (not every customer pays it off every month) just part of what was happening overall.

Here is what I posted;

Tell that to all of our 800+ FICO customers that have NEVER been late, never over their limit, and payoff each month... yet we are reducing their limits, raising their interest.. it's not pretty, but it is happening!

I just got a letter from Chevron lowering my credit limit.. I don't always pay off in full each month but I have never been late or gone over my credit limit..

I just got a letter from Chevron lowering my credit limit.. I don't always pay off in full each month but I have never been late or gone over my credit limit..

I just got the same deal from JC Penney...and I also have not been late nor gone over my limit or charged up to the limit! So they don't need to worry about me charging with them anymore.....some reward for being a good customer for the last 30 years :mad: I am going to pay them off and I cut up my card!

Before the internet they also did not have debit cards.........I think the real issue is the debit cards because it comes right out of your account, unlike the credit cards.........

I agree...totally.

But didn't the Op use a credit card?? :confused:

FTLOG, I am seriously confused this week.

I just got the same deal from JC Penney...and I also have not been late nor gone over my limit or charged up to the limit! So they don't need to worry about me charging with them anymore.....some reward for being a good customer for the last 30 years :mad: I am going to pay them off and I cut up my card!

I have been a customer with Chevron for 25 yrs too. And they have lost me too..

I agree...totally.

But didn't the Op use a credit card?? :confused:

FTLOG, I am seriously confused this week.

Yes, the original OP used a regular credit card..

Oh Bert - it clearly shows that you dont know how to manage or direct your anger. You should speak to the bank that issued the card - they can overwrite the "hold". It really isnt the cruise lines fault.

You criticize this poster, but you don't even bother to read the thread to see the rest of the details? I made a post, for example, explaining how you're absolutely wrong here. The bank cannot overwrite the hold w/o a release from Carnival. Both Carnival AND my bank agreed on that point.

/hates it when people are patronizing

//really hates it when people don't bother to read the thread they post in

///likes slashies :)

Archived