Annoyed with Holds...

Bert64

Well, because there was another post last week with Carnival cheerleaders like yourself who claimed that Carnival doesn't place holds and to go ahead and use your debit card because it won't have an impact on you. I'm letting people know they DO IN FACT PLACE HOLDS, often times for substantial amounts, and if you go by what the "Carnival Can Do No Wrong Crowd" that you belong to, than they'll be in for a rude awakening.

I don't like companies HOLDING onto ANYTHING of mine for over a week when they've already been paid. You must of been lied to about the card company releasing the holds as well - Carnival has to release it. I just got off the phone with the credit card company, so you are terribly misinformed.

Carnival has to tell the CC company to release the hold, however it often takes the CC company up to 10 business days to release the hold after they have been notified.

Place blame where it belongs, on the CC company, HOWEVER, you are exactly correct that you should NEVER use a DEBIT card for on board charges because of the issue of hold, because yes they are put on the accounts.

I used my debit card on my Destiny cruise in October. Having worked in the finance industry for many years, I did expect Carnival to place a hold on my bank account for purchases and was prepared for that. What I found odd was that rather than placing a hold for, say, $1000 to cover anticipated expenses, the ran every sail and sign transaction through individually, so that I had one for tips, a seperate one for the excursion I purchased, my first nights drink tab, and so on and so on. A review of my bank account upon returning home had all these seperate holds pending on my account as well as the final bill being processed. The holds cleared about three days later.

So I got off the Valor on Sunday, Nov. 16. On Monday, Nov. 17 all my charges for my onboard account were charged to my credit card. But Carnival is STILL holding charges on my account. I called my credit card company to verify what the "pending charges" were that are on my account and it is indeed Carnival. I call Carnival, and the lady on the phone claims they don't place 'holds' for more than 24 hours. Clearly, the Carnival lady has no idea what she's talking about, as I haven't used my credit card since for even 1% of what's pending on my account AND I called my credit card company and they've also confirmed that it's Carnival who still has these holds on my card.

It doesn't really affect me, in that I have plenty of room on my card (I don't carry over balances and my credit limit is high enough where I have PLENTY of room), but if you're someone who maybe carries over balances or doesn't have a few thousand dollars in wiggle room on your credit card, having these holds on your account for over a week may impact you.

I know there was a thread about this last week, and some people were claiming there were no holds and it was okay to use debit cards and it's not a big deal, but I'd just like to give a heads up to anyone considering using a debit card. I'd be a lot more annoyed if this was a hold on an account I use to pay bills on and I couldn't access the money, at least this is a no balance credit card that really won't impact me.

If they've already charged my account for the complete total of my onboard expenses, I don't know why they haven't released the the 'holds' on my account.

uh, it's the bank not Carnival that decides how long to let the "hold" stay on the account. Try getting the facts before you whine.

Bert

I agree that the hold should not be on your account. I've never

noticed if they have been on ours. I never check my account on line...

......when I get my credit card statement, I verify the charges with my

records and Pay the Bill :(:p. Usually there is just the one charge from

Carnival so I don't see the extra "hold". We must all have them then?

They just go away thru the cycle period?

Nothing wrong with your checking your account daily.... you do what

you need to do.

Bert, I know that Hotels place a hold on credit cards, but I haven't had a problem with my card and Carnival.

Did you book a hotel before the cruise?

Fred

Seriously, for someone that claims to cruise so much you should know better. Of course Carnival puts holds on your account.

Well, because there was another post last week with Carnival cheerleaders like yourself who claimed that Carnival doesn't place holds and to go ahead and use your debit card because it won't have an impact on you. I'm letting people know they DO IN FACT PLACE HOLDS, often times for substantial amounts, and if you go by what the "Carnival Can Do No Wrong Crowd" that you belong to, than they'll be in for a rude awakening.

I don't like companies HOLDING onto ANYTHING of mine for over a week when they've already been paid. You must of been lied to about the card company releasing the holds as well - Carnival has to release it. I just got off the phone with the credit card company, so you are terribly misinformed.

Well, then, you should've found that thread and posted to it. The number of redundant threads on this board is just absurd. Then when all the freaking group threads keep being bumped up, you can't find threads that are only hours old.

And then, of course, there's the "I know this has been discussed but the search is down..." issue.

So for people don't want a hold on their cards - use cash.

Holds are a fact of life these days. Plan accordingly.

I currently work for a major financial company, where I deal with this on a daily basis.

Based on the service establishment ( Carnival in this case ) banks are required to hold the authorization amount for a specified number of days, unless the exact charge from that SE comes through on the account. (at which time it will drop when the charge posts)

Since Carnival does not know how much EXACTLY you will spend, they take auth's in round even numbers.... $100, $150, $500 etc.! So when your S&S total comes in at say $1251.45 and they have authorized a total of $1500, through various authorizations.. well when the $1251.45 posts it does not match the authorizations. Therefor the hold(s) stays in place until the legal amount of time passes and the BANK drops them.

Now, the SE can choose to contact the bank's merchant services and have the hold removed, however for Carnival to do that for 50,000+ passengers a week would be impossible. While these holds are on your account, your bank cannot charge interest or over the limit fees, report the hold amount to any CB, or charge any other fee associated with anything other than your actual posted balance.

In the future, no matter who you cruise with, use a cash deposit to avoid the holds as this is pretty much standard. Until then, don't worry, they will drop off!

And, AGAIN, I did not use a debit card, therefore I don't need to call the bank. I called my CREDIT CARD COMPANY, since I used a CREDIT CARD. And the CREDIT CARD COMPANY told me, yes, it's Carnival placing the hold. And also that CARNIVAL has to release it. A credit card company can't just go around releasing things on a card whenever someone calls...how do they know whether the company is holding it for a legitimate charge or whether it was just a hold for sufficient funds?

You realize that the credit card company IS a bank right??? LOL :p

Carnival put the charge through, the hold was released, but it could take some time before the hold is released with your BANK.

So I got off the Valor on Sunday, Nov. 16. On Monday, Nov. 17 all my charges for my onboard account were charged to my credit card. But Carnival is STILL holding charges on my account. I called my credit card company to verify what the "pending charges" were that are on my account and it is indeed Carnival. I call Carnival, and the lady on the phone claims they don't place 'holds' for more than 24 hours. Clearly, the Carnival lady has no idea what she's talking about, as I haven't used my credit card since for even 1% of what's pending on my account AND I called my credit card company and they've also confirmed that it's Carnival who still has these holds on my card.

It doesn't really affect me, in that I have plenty of room on my card (I don't carry over balances and my credit limit is high enough where I have PLENTY of room), but if you're someone who maybe carries over balances or doesn't have a few thousand dollars in wiggle room on your credit card, having these holds on your account for over a week may impact you.

I know there was a thread about this last week, and some people were claiming there were no holds and it was okay to use debit cards and it's not a big deal, but I'd just like to give a heads up to anyone considering using a debit card. I'd be a lot more annoyed if this was a hold on an account I use to pay bills on and I couldn't access the money, at least this is a no balance credit card that really won't impact me.

If they've already charged my account for the complete total of my onboard expenses, I don't know why they haven't released the the 'holds' on my account.

Hello Burt64..:) Hopefully you wont be ONE OF THE MILLIONS of credit card customers that are getting their credit limits DECREASED as a result of the economy.. That would elimanate your wiggle room on your card. Hopefully if it has not already, It will be credited soon. Take care.

Every single merchant in the universe and beyond puts a hold on your credit card when you use it for anything. Some are quick to release them, others aren't. Same with banks [they ALL love float], some are quick to release holds, others, not so quick. If someone keeps having problems due to holds, they need to rethink/review if they should be using credit cards at all.

Can you say Citigroup? Bear Stearns? Etc. etc. etc.

Dan

The cruiseline is the one doing the "HOLD" on debit and c.cards.... they initiated the "Hold" and must release it. It has nothing to do with the bank end of the transaction UNTIL the cruisline (or merchant) releases the hold afterwhich then the delays would fall into the banks responsibility ! :rolleyes:

Hello Burt64..:) Hopefully you wont be ONE OF THE MILLIONS of credit card customers that are getting their credit limits DECREASED as a result of the economy.. That would elimanate your wiggle room on your card. Hopefully if it has not already, It will be credited soon. Take care.

The line of credit a bank provides will NOT BE REDUCED unless the cardholder is either possibly delinquent on payments -or- requests the limit be reduced. I recently discussed this with a banking friend and your statement is inaccurate !

The line of credit a bank provides will NOT BE REDUCED unless the cardholder is either possibly delinquent on payments -or- requests the limit be reduced. I recently discussed this with a banking friend and your statement is inaccurate !

Not true! It's been all over the news for months now... one of the most recent articles http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/15/AR2008111500216.html?hpid=topnews

a slightly older one from the summer: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/21/business/21credit.html?pagewanted=print

You don't have to be delinquent or make the requests...

We have vendors that are reducing credit limits simply because they have to insure those credit lines... credit is being tightened everywhere right now.

I'm fairly new to these boards and I really don't understand why people are so nasty and mean spirited. Why can't people just nicely give their opinion?

Actually, these replies are dripping with sugar compared to some other areas of the board and many other internet message boards... it's the nature of the internet, when you bring together hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world... you get used to it, LOL

there is a huge difference between a debit card and a credit card. And having been a "cheerleader" for quite a few years now-- I let people know that using a debit card could freeze their account for a few days where they wont have access to their money.

I am sorry that you were misinformed.

How does one see that there is a hold on a credit card? (sorry but I dont have one so dont know how it works)

Banks that are REDUCING the lines of credit vary... not all are doing this. If a customer is using up a large majority of their line of credit on a monthly basis (as I particularily do) and they are paying off that debt monthly, the banks are hesitant to reduce that amount.

I was just responding to your statement that the posters "statement was inaccurate"... it was not... banks are definitely reducing credit lines based on more factors than delinquency... of course not all are, but many are.

I was just responding to your statement that the posters "statement was inaccurate"... it was not... banks are definitely reducing credit lines based on more factors than delinquency... of course not all are, but many are.

Well lets just say that that statement was a blank one and not totally true... many banks ARE possibly reducing the lines of credit, but many are NOT ! My banks have not touched mine at all....and if they do, they would lose a valuable customer for certain. I am not going to be penalized for paying my debts off every month to them and am probably one of their better risks !

Well lets just say that that statement was a blank one and not totally true... many banks ARE possibly reducing the lines of credit, but many are NOT ! My banks have not touched mine at all....and if they do, they would lose a valuable customer for certain. I am not going to be penalized for paying my debts off every month to them and am probably one of their better risks !

No, "we" won't just say that... many banks ARE reducing lines of credit... not possibly (did you read the articles? LOL) Sure, many are not, but many ARE... that is the entire point... nobody said all... but you said NONE unless delinquent or requested. I hate to beat this, but your response to Jailerman was a little rude, and his statement was completely accurate... yours on the other hand, was completely inaccurate... just because it hasn't happened to you, does not mean it hasn't happened to millions of others... and it will be happening more and more in the coming months and credit card companies mitigate their risks...

he said: "Hello Burt64..:) Hopefully you wont be ONE OF THE MILLIONS of credit card customers that are getting their credit limits DECREASED as a result of the economy.. That would elimanate your wiggle room on your card. Hopefully if it has not already, It will be credited soon. Take care. "

you said: "The line of credit a bank provides will NOT BE REDUCED unless the cardholder is either possibly delinquent on payments -or- requests the limit be reduced. I recently discussed this with a banking friend and your statement is inaccurate !"

You didn't say "many"... you didn't say "mine"... what jailerman said was spot on... and now you are making it about you and your credit card companies, but that wasn't what this was about, or what jailerman's statement was, or your original response was.

Wow...I am glad I do not have an opportunity to have a real discussion with you.....is the last word that important ??? I'm so done with this issue. Happy Cruising !

No, the last word isn't important... but the right one is ;):)

Archived