Gratuity question

reginar

Gratuitys are a bargain for the wonderful service but I bought this cruise for 3 (jan 09) the gratuitys are going to total $210 with hubby and 2/3 of my income gone this now seems like a lot of money. This year my adult niece and my 9 year old granddaughter are traveling with me would it be unfair to drop the gratuity from my granddaughters bill?

Gratuitys are a bargain for the wonderful service but I bought this cruise for 3 (jan 09) the gratuitys are going to total $210 with hubby and 2/3 of my income gone this now seems like a lot of money. This year my adult niece and my 9 year old granddaughter are traveling with me would it be unfair to drop the gratuity from my granddaughters bill?

Yes, it would be unfair to drop her gratuity unless you leave her at home.

I think that gratuities should be included in all cruise pricing.

That Said. I always expect to include gratuities in my total cost. Since I put everything on a credit card, including tips (you get more Frequent Flyer Miles that way) I know that, if I want, I can pay over time. That way the VERY hard working help on the ship get what is coming to them. And if I receive exceptional service, I will hand cash to the person providing it.

So, If you are wanting to save money on a cruise, Drink Less, (including sodas) don't take an excursion but walk around the port towns, cut back on souvenirs, and spend more time just relaxing.

I know how you feel, on our recent 9 day cruise we paid $270 in tips for the 3 of us. It hurts to look at the total cost and see how much you spend!

They will treat your granddaughter like a queen, though. They deserve every penny of that money and then some for kids!

Tipping is #1 for me, but between the tips and the unnecessary fuel surcharges right now, that can really add up making your cheap cruise price these days not so cheap.

Yes, it would be unfair to drop her gratuity unless you leave her at home.

lol Sally, things are bad all over , the economy is in bad shape all over, I know since hubby and I are unemployed at this time , that said I will say that our plan is number one to get jobs and hopefully we will be able to take our yearly cruise next September, It will not cross my mind not to tip, never, is out of our minds, if I cannot afford the tips I might as well stay home.

Even with the bad economy I will like to take my daughter on her bday to a 3 day cruise, which is in January 26, but that is just a wish lol. I take alchol and save in other areas but never at the expense of tipping this hard workers.

to the OP If your child goes please take care of this persons that will work to made her feel like a princess.

to the OP Enjoy your cruise and I know times are hard but we can always drink one fun ship less lol.

On a vaguely similar note, is there any reason I shouldnt remove the automatic tipping and tip directly? I prefer the idea of giving money to those who actually help us, rather than into some big ship wide pool. But ive never cruised before so maybe im missing something.

Here is a thread under the "how to save money" section. This OP lost her job and wants to cut tips and wonders what would be fair considering she is only getting unemployment income.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=876043

Someone suggested skipping formal night and not tipping the waiters .... seriously.

I agree it seems to be a sign of the economy lately.

If you have to ask you know the answer. Would it be fair to reduce your salary by 1/3 because the company was in a tight financial circumstance?

Yes, but the first one on the subject is not for real. This person is serious. My answer to them. Never drop gratuities.

Enough with the not real, for all we know this poster (NevadaHiRoller) is someone else too since they only have 37 posts when I answer this. Maybe since this poster knows the other was unreal this poster and the other one are one and the same.

On a vaguely similar note, is there any reason I shouldnt remove the automatic tipping and tip directly? I prefer the idea of giving money to those who actually help us, rather than into some big ship wide pool. But ive never cruised before so maybe im missing something.

Your tips go to the people who serve you, with a small part of them being divided among the Lido deck dining staff. No need to be concerned that they go into a pool, the automatic tipping just makes it easier to get it to them, and they are told that you are using the automatic tipping option so they know that you have tipped them. If they do a great jonb you can always give them extra.

Yes, it would be unfair. Your grandaughter eats, sleeps in the cabin, uses the shower, enjoys the activities onboard just like everyone else.

Would you take a restaurant bill, divide out the grandaughters meal, then base the tip on the rest? Of course not.

You can either afford to cruise - or you can't. But, stiffing those who wait on you and your party hand and foot is simply being a deadbeat.

Yes' date=' it would be unfair. Your grandaughter eats, sleeps in the cabin, uses the shower, enjoys the activities onboard just like everyone else.

Would you take a restaurant bill, divide out the grandaughters meal, then base the tip on the rest? Of course not.

You can either afford to cruise - or you can't. But, stiffing those who wait on you and your party hand and foot is simply being a deadbeat.[/quote']

Ouch, that was a direct hit.

YES it would be unfair to the crew to "drop" the granddaughter's gratuities; the gratuity applies for all adults and to all children. The crew works just as hard, if not harder, for the kids as well as the adults. Prepare yourself for the maelstrom to follow! ken

Yes' date=' it would be unfair. Your grandaughter eats, sleeps in the cabin, uses the shower, enjoys the activities onboard just like everyone else.

[b']Would you take a restaurant bill, divide out the grandaughters meal, then base the tip on the rest? Of course not[/b].

You can either afford to cruise - or you can't. But, stiffing those who wait on you and your party hand and foot is simply being a deadbeat.

Actually, people do something similar all the time. They ask for a highchair for their toddler, then ask for free crackers. The high chair has to be totally wiped down and then you need to sweep the floor and sometimes vacuum it after they have left, way more work than a childless couple .... and of course the parents of the darling innocent didnt order anything from the menu, so dont tip extra for 4 times the work. They do think they shouldnt have to tip for their darlings in real life, 'cause many dont. Iv waited tables so I know this happens. You see someone being seated with a baby and you think, please not in my section, hope hope hope. Parents are oblivious that their darling is so much extra work, I guess they get used to doing it themselves at home?

YES it would be unfair to the crew to "drop" the granddaughter's gratuities; the gratuity applies for all adults and to all children. The crew works just as hard, if not harder, for the kids as well as the adults. Prepare yourself for the maelstrom to follow! ken

Call the burn unit, looks like we have a casualty...

You can either afford to cruise - or you can't. But, stiffing those who wait on you and your party hand and foot is simply being a deadbeat.[/quote']

Don't be so sure, unless you have worked in the restaurant business you have no idea how many people do not tip or tip much less than the suggested amount of 15% of the pre tax total.

If you cannot afford the cruise, cancel. Ask Carnival to drop the price the tip amount:rolleyes: or ask them to lower the taxes that amount.:mad: Or be honest and tell the servers, he WILL not be tipped because you are too POOR.:o Tell the server on the first day. Be sure to tell him that no matter how wonderful he serves, he is not going to get a penny. Then enjoy your service. I'd carry my toothbrush we me always and I would not consider eating anywhere but the buffet.:eek:

Dan

Archived