Gratuity question

reginar

On a vaguely similar note, is there any reason I shouldnt remove the automatic tipping and tip directly? I prefer the idea of giving money to those who actually help us, rather than into some big ship wide pool. But ive never cruised before so maybe im missing something.

You should tip in cash so the cruiseline won't take a service or administration fee out of the autotip and the higher ups also won't get a cut.

Steve

Except for a few cheapskates and the usual paranoid members, everyone will tell you to leave the automatic tips alone. The employee whose automatic tips are adjusted or removed will be looked upon as doing something to cause this.

Buy a drink or two less, cut out the souvenirs, cut back on tours, don't cut tips.

Doc;)

You should tip in cash so the cruiseline won't take a service or administration fee out of the autotip and the higher ups also won't get a cut.

Steve

This does not happen. there is no administrative fee taken out of the gratuities. The people that are specified on the web site and in the literature are the ones that get 100% of the stated amounts.

Perhaps you will get lucky and Carnival will refund the fuel surcharge on your cruise. I agree with the other posters that you should not drop the tip for your grandaughter. I might add, however, that not all cruiselines have the same tip recommendation for kids. If staying in the same cabin, NCL will drop the suggested tip to 50% of the adult tip.

Steve

You desperately need a new mantra. This one was way beyond boring last year. And not true to boot.

Dan

Originally Posted by reginar viewpost.gif

Gratuitys are a bargain for the wonderful service but I bought this cruise for 3 (jan 09) the gratuitys are going to total $210 with hubby and 2/3 of my income gone this now seems like a lot of money. This year my adult niece and my 9 year old granddaughter are traveling with me would it be unfair to drop the gratuity from my granddaughters bill?

WOW!!!!!!! The first few people answered my question quickly and politely and this was my reply .

Thanks for the quick answers , this is cruise 2 for me so I have some things to learn. Will figure out how to skimp elsewhere.:)

As for some of the rest of you

You can either afford to cruise - or you can't. But' date=' stiffing those who wait on you and your party hand and foot is simply being a deadbeat.[/quote']

Do you read an entire post or just jump on a few words? Unfortunately my circumstances changed very recently too late to cancel.

Isnt Stiffing someone giving nothing?

Or do I dare ask another question?

After reading this whole thread (yes every post and most were polite and informed) am I to understand this is not a tip but their wages?

Originally Posted by reginar viewpost.gif

[As for some of the rest of you

Do you read an entire post or just jump on a few words? Unfortunately my circumstances changed very recently too late to cancel.

Or do I dare ask another question?

After reading this whole thread (yes every post and most were polite and informed) am I to understand this is not a tip but their wages?

Oh PLEASE continue to ask!!!

Many jobs in the service industry..waiters for example...earn much less than min wage per hour and most of their salary is what they get from tips. Here in the US waitstaff in a restaurant only actually "earn" a couple of $ per hour from the establishment. Tips are their main wage.

Cruiselines are very similar. the base pay for the staff is low and the bulk of their earnings come from tips.

Often tips are taken from the main servers and a portion is passed along to asst staff such as buspeople here in the States. The cruiselines similarly suggest an amount and then dole that out amogst the staff. the same waitstaff who work in the Main Dining Rooms will have shifts throughout the cruise in the buffet area. So even if you forgo the Dining Room you are still having services provided on the Lido Deck by the same people.

As far as the service on a cruise goes....I have sailed as a solo as well as single mom with my kids and I have found that my kids get much more service from the Cabin Steward and Waitstaff then I do when I am by myself. I have to agree that my opinion is to plan on tipping in full and cut back elsewhere.

Yes' date=' it would be unfair. Your grandaughter eats, sleeps in the cabin, uses the shower, enjoys the activities onboard just like everyone else.

Would you take a restaurant bill, divide out the grandaughters meal, then base the tip on the rest? Of course not.

You can either afford to cruise - or you can't. But, stiffing those who wait on you and your party hand and foot is simply being a deadbeat.[/quote']

Oh, I know I will be flamed.....but here it goes.

First off, let's make one thing very clear: me and my DH tip...over and above what Carnival asks. Okay...got that? Good. Now let me continue.

I get a little sick and tired of the bulk of the posters here who have a "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to tipping. The arguments you use are just silly. This poster that I quoted is actually comparing tipping in a restaraunt to tipping during a cruise. You know what, if that is the standard then I am all in. You see, when my wife and I go for dinner....and spend $75 dollars on a meal...I tip 10%...which is standard. That works out to a $7.50 tip. Pretty darn good if you ask me. Okay, now let's use the same measuring stick for a cruise. My wife and I go together and we paid $800 dollar in total for the cruise...I tip 10%...which is $80 total - LESS than that what Carnival says we must pay. Carnival says $10 a day per person- $140 dollars total. But in a restaraunt I tip once for the whole bill. Why shouldn't a person be allowed to tip 10% on the total price of the cruise. Why does each person have to tip. Does everyone in your dinner party pay 10% of the total bill? I think not.

What's also funny, is that everyone talks about the maid service we get on a cruise as a reason for tipping yet how many of you tip your hotel chambermaid when you stay in a hotel?? I would guess almost none of you.

The Cruise line keeps jacking up prices, they hit passengers with fuel charges, the air industry now makes us pay for more than one suitcase, you have to tip the baggage handlers $3 a bag for fear you will never see your bags again and even though it is an all inclusive cruise you have to purchase soda cards on top of it...

My point? Give people a break on these boards. Get off your high horses and quit judging people over whether or not they tip. Or how much they tip. The bulk of the passengers tip...in fact we over tip...and if you think the 10% or less of passengers who don't tip are going to force the workers on the cruise lines to the poor house...well you are deluded. Most of the workers come from under developed nations and what they make on board the ship more than adequately pays for their labours and more. If they weren't making enough money they would not stay in the cruise industry. The truth of the matter is they make more money working on the ship than they would at home.

After saying all this I still say tipping is the right thing to do...if you can afford it. But leave that decision up to the individual...don't berate them for their actions or their thoughts. I do believe that the OP was sincere in their questions and I totally hear their pain. Everyone wants to, and deserves to, take a vacation and enjoy all the ammenties that are included. If you can tip - great. Go for it. If you can't...so be it.

So just leave them alone will you.

I served in school, over 6 years ago....10% is not standard...15% is standard industry wide...20% is actually what good tippers tip...My father still tips 10% and it is embarrassing...

First off, let's make one thing very clear: me and my DH tip...over and above what Carnival asks. Okay...got that? Good. Now let me continue.

I get a little sick and tired of the bulk of the posters here who have a "holier than thou" attitude when it comes to tipping. The arguments you use are just silly. This poster that I quoted is actually comparing tipping in a restaraunt to tipping during a cruise. You know what, if that is the standard then I am all in. You see, when my wife and I go for dinner....and spend $75 dollars on a meal...I tip 10%...which is standard. That works out to a $7.50 tip. Pretty darn good if you ask me. Okay, now let's use the same measuring stick for a cruise. My wife and I go together and we paid $800 dollar in total for the cruise...I tip 10%...which is $80 total - LESS than that what Carnival says we must pay. Carnival says $10 a day per person- $140 dollars total. But in a restaraunt I tip once for the whole bill. Why shouldn't a person be allowed to tip 10% on the total price of the cruise. Why does each person have to tip. Does everyone in your dinner party pay 10% of the total bill? I think not.

What's also funny, is that everyone talks about the maid service we get on a cruise as a reason for tipping yet how many of you tip your hotel chambermaid when you stay in a hotel?? I would guess almost none of you.

The Cruise line keeps jacking up prices, they hit passengers with fuel charges, the air industry now makes us pay for more than one suitcase, you have to tip the baggage handlers $3 a bag for fear you will never see your bags again and even though it is an all inclusive cruise you have to purchase soda cards on top of it...

My point? Give people a break on these boards. Get off your high horses and quit judging people over whether or not they tip. Or how much they tip. The bulk of the passengers tip...in fact we over tip...and if you think the 10% or less of passengers who don't tip are going to force the workers on the cruise lines to the poor house...well you are deluded. Most of the workers come from under developed nations and what they make on board the ship more than adequately pays for their labours and more. If they weren't making enough money they would not stay in the cruise industry. The truth of the matter is they make more money working on the ship than they would at home.

After saying all this I still say tipping is the right thing to do...if you can afford it. But leave that decision up to the individual...don't berate them for their actions or their thoughts. I do believe that the OP was sincere in their questions and I totally hear their pain. Everyone wants to, and deserves to, take a vacation and enjoy all the ammenties that are included. If you can tip - great. Go for it. If you can't...so be it.

I am British and abhor your tipping culture, but accept it is part and parcel of travel to the United States and get on with it.

The cruise is inexpensive because we pay the Carnival staff for them. It's the way it is, we should just be grateful that they are willing to leave their families the other side of the world, work their nuts off for little reward and their employers make millions.

A poster with some common sense. Refreshing.

A tip should NEVER be counted on or expected.

A tip is at the descretion of the tipper. People throw these precentages out, but where do they come from?

A waiter has a job just like I do. They are hired AND PAID to do that job. If they do not want to do that job, they need to find another one. It is not my place to make sure they get x number of dollars a month. If it was, I would go crazy worring about the moms and dads working at walmart and the like knowing they can not possibly be making enough to pay all the bills when I make a lot more than they are and sometime even I have problems. (my sister works at walmart and I know what she makes after 20 years) But the thought really hits me every time I have to pay insurance on house, car, flood, life, etc, THEN the car needs new tires, my stove goes out, my cat swallows something bad and it cost me 2 weeks wage to get her taken care of, and I don't even have kids living at home anymore.

I leave my gratuties on my account. There have been times I gave some extra in cash for outstanding service and I have also deducted from my account when I got poor service. I board with the assumption my tips are taken care of. Occassionally I get outstanding service and there will be extra cash given at the end of the cruise in that case. But usually only pay the $10 per day per person.

How other people do it is none of my business. And how I do it is none of theirs.

It gets tiring seeing the same people bullying new posters. What or even if you tip is entirely at your descretion. Carnival makes a suggestion, but you can take it from there and there is not one person you have to answer to for your decision.

Actually, 10% is considered a bad tip. So you do not overtip you undertip for good service.

Gratuitys are a bargain for the wonderful service but I bought this cruise for 3 (jan 09) the gratuitys are going to total $210 with hubby and 2/3 of my income gone this now seems like a lot of money. This year my adult niece and my 9 year old granddaughter are traveling with me would it be unfair to drop the gratuity from my granddaughters bill?

It is your money and you are free to give as much or as little as you wish. The amount that is suggested is purely that, a suggestion. If you wish to reduce or increase the amount based on your circumstances, please feel free to do so.

Whether other posters on here agree with you or not is really not your concern.

Enjoy your cruise and tip as you deem appropriate.

Cheers,

Peter

Oh, I know I will be flamed.....but here it goes. You see, when my wife and I go for dinner....and spend $75 dollars on a meal...I tip 10%...which is standard. That works out to a $7.50 tip. Pretty darn good if you ask me. .

..... seriously you only tip 10% at a restaurant??? I left over 30% last time, because I sat there longer talking and taking up space, but I pretty much always leave around 20%. I round up the 15% tip to at least the next dollar.

10% is not considered standard. No wonder you expect to get flamed. You can afford a $75 meal and then only tip 10%. I worked as a server in a nice restaurant and we had to give quit a large percentage to the bar at the end of the night for any drinks or wine ordered. If there had been a $25 bottle of wine including, half that tip would have gone to the bar for providing your wine and Id only have kept half that $7.50 and then had to tip the bus boy out of the $3.75 left after the bar tip. 10% is NOT standard.

If you were to give nothing for your grandchild, that would be stiffing.

...I tip 10%...which is standard

10% hasn't been a standard tip since the 1960's. If you frequent the same restaurants over and over, I can promise you two things....1. the waitstaff thinks you're a fool and 2.you should probably check your food very carefully before you eat it. Spit happens.

Actually, 10% is considered a bad tip. So you do not overtip you undertip for good service.

Considered bad by who? The person getting the 10%? well duh.

If I go to Ruby Tuesdays and get 2 burgers with drinks, it is $40. 10% is a $4 tip. 15% is $6.

Now if I go to a local place, those 2 burgers and drinks will be $15. 10% would be $1.50. 15% is $2.25.

But the waitress in both places do the same amount of work. And I get the same service.

I do not do precentages anymore. I tip per person, in both cases it would be $3.

$1.50 per person is more than enough for someone to put a burger in front of me and bring me a bottle of ketchup.

If I have more than basic demands or if the server knocks themselves out is some way, it will be increased, but for basic service, that is it.

If I go to Ruby Tuesdays and get 2 burgers with drinks, it is $40. 10% is a $4 tip. 15% is $6.

Now if I go to a local place, those 2 burgers and drinks will be $15. 10% would be $1.50. 15% is $2.25.

But the waitress in both places do the same amount of work. And I get the same service.

I do not do precentages anymore. I tip per person, in both cases it would be $3.

$1.50 per person is more than enough for someone to put a burger in front of me and bring me a bottle of ketchup.

If I have more than basic demands or if the server knocks themselves out is some way, it will be increased, but for basic service, that is it.

I was wondering your age. As someone above posted lower tips were standard in the 60s? My Dad is also a cheap tipper. So, Im wondering if this is a age thing?

You really only tip $3 for a $40 check? Im surprised how many are willing to admit they dont tip near the standard.

At Ruby's, your server is likely tipping support staff at least 1.20 of the 3.00 you're leaving (possibly more as chains tend to have more support staff), while paying taxes on more than the 3.00. She/he is being taxed on money they didn't make.

At the local joint, your server is probably tipping out .45 of the 3.00 while being taxed on a minimum of 1.20.

You may not tip according to a % of the sale, but your servers are tipping their support staff a % of their sales and being taxed on the same.

I for one agree with you. I cannot for the life of me figure out why people should base a tip on the amount spent. Takes the same amount of work to deliver a burger as a filet, or a bottle of water as wine.

Cheers,

Peter

You desperately need a new mantra. This one was way beyond boring last year. And not true to boot.

Dan

:):)

Well if we believe what you stated.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=16472997&postcount=50

it does not matter because CCL will make up the difference if they get stiffed as there is a guarantee. :D

Steve

I spend about 50 - 100 nights a year in hotels, either on business or for personal travel. I leave a $3 - $5 tip for the maid each and every night. As a matter of fact, most business travelers know that tipping for maid service in hotels is as standard as tipping the valet attendant or the bellmen who help you with your luggage.

It is only the casual traveler - someone who might take a cruise or other vacation once or twice a year, who doesn't realize that leaving a tip for housekeeping services in hotels and motels is now considered standard practice.

I spend about 50 - 100 nights a year in hotels, either on business or for personal travel. I leave a $3 - $5 tip for the maid each and every night. As a matter of fact, most business travelers know that tipping for maid service in hotels is as standard as tipping the valet attendant or the bellmen who help you with your luggage.

It is only the casual traveler - someone who might take a cruise or other vacation once or twice a year, who doesn't realize that leaving a tip for housekeeping services in hotels and motels is now considered standard practice.

I do the same amount of business travel and have never tipped the maid. I have never used a valet or bellman either.

Cheers,

Peter

Wow.... so many attacks on the OP who came back rather quickly and acknowledged that they may have to figure out a way to cut back on some other costs to be better prepared to provide the customary gratuities to the staff. Kudos to the OP in realizing that the gratuities are the norm for all passengers to provide.

Now this thread has turned from a cruise related issue to a pissing war over restaurant and hotel tipping !

Remember the good old days when Holland America Line was "No tipping required" ?

Archived