Size of Dinner table

RedSox5

Quick (and probably silly) question...

I have cruised several times, but have never planned one myself. We are sailing on Royal Caribbean in April, and I'm wondering how I go about selecting the size of the dinner table that we're at- 2 people, 4 people, 6 or 8? I didn't notice it as a preference when we booked (we booked online directly through the Royal Caribbean.) Anyone know?

Thanks for your help :)

Your TA should have asked you if you preferred a small table or large table. If they didn't contact them and state your preference. BTW - it is just a "preference", no guarantees. We always ask for a large table and seem to get a table for 2!!!

Thanks...

In the past, when I cruised with my family as a kid, we often requested a large table (there were only 4 of us) and we have certainly met some interesting people over the years- people we still joke about and remember fondly (and some not so fondly!) 15 or 20 years later! However, being that it's my boyfriend's first cruise, we would rather sit alone. If we end up at a larger table, no big deal.

Since we didn't go through a travel agent, I suppose I probably could just contact the cruise line directly and make them aware of our preferences.

We used to tell our TA that we wanted a large table and it never was a problem. However, since my husband is now booking our room, we sometimes find that our table is for 2. So we now find out where we sit on the first afternoon aboard the ship and if it isn't what we want, we talk to the maitre-d and he switches us to a larger table! No problem (unless the others at the table end up eating on the Lido deck every night! ha). My suggestion: check out your table setting as soon as the dining room is open and then change if you want too! Good luck!

We prefer a table for 6 or 8. Last year we were stuck at a table with just one other couple. It's not that they were not nice; it's just that we did not have a lot in common with them. A short cruise might be OK--but this was a 10-night cruise.

This year I am planning on checking out our table when we get on the ship. I don't want another small table. Of course we could end up like we did on another cruise--at a table for eight with just another couple. There were four empty chairs. Fortunately that was a short cruise, just 4 nights.

We request a table for 8 and have met some great people. One cruise myself and DH were the only people at a large table all week. Was a bit of a let down. Two couples appeared on the last night by then we couldn't be bothered to attempt much conversation.

We usually ask for a table of 6 or 8 so if one couple is not very social there will still be someone to talk to hopefully. On our Hawaiian cruise we were seated at a table for 4, and the other couple were deaf and mute. They couldn't even read lips. Since it was a table for 4 it was very awkward, and we moved. Had it been a table for 6 or 8 it would have been easier to stay with them. They seemed like a lovely elderly couple, and I gave them a lot of credit for traveling alone, but 14 nights of no communicating wasn't something we could do.

Newbie here .... so to check on your table, you go to the dining room .. how do you know where your table will be? Is there a list posted?

Judy

Your table assignemnt is usually on your sail/sign card. If it is not on there then time to go to the maitre d'.

We always ask for a large table too. On our February 2005 cruise we met a very wonderful couple. The guy proposed to his girlfriend during our cruise because he felt like he wanted to do it with us there (we got along so well!!). We had a ball and they sent us a wedding invitation and when they got married in 2006 we flew from Florida to Oregon to attend their wedding. We have been in touch ever since. We have been trying to get together to book a cruise together but it just hasn't worked out that well...but one day we will!

We had such great memories!!! Meeting new people and enjoying yourself is the best!

I always request large table and have really good luck with tablemates. It does seen that we always have at least one couple that dont fit in, but they usually switch and someone else takes their place. If you have someone you are traveling with you can link up your reservations and most generally get assigned together.

We are now thinking that since we'll be spending 24 hours a day together, we might like to look at some other faces and have conversations with someone else. We live together, but both work, etc. so we don't spend every waking moment together! I think we'll request a big table... thanks for the advice, everyone :)

Quick (and probably silly) question...

I have cruised several times, but have never planned one myself. We are sailing on Royal Caribbean in April, and I'm wondering how I go about selecting the size of the dinner table that we're at- 2 people, 4 people, 6 or 8? I didn't notice it as a preference when we booked (we booked online directly through the Royal Caribbean.) Anyone know?

Thanks for your help :)

You can call RCI customer service and have your table request added to your reservation. I don't think there is a place where you can add it to your online reservation. RCI also has an email address to send your dining request a few weeks before your sailing - anyone who has used it has had their request honored so far. Come over to the Royal Caribbean board and ask your question there for more specific information.

We prefer a table of 6 or maybe 8. Why? because then we can hear whatever someone says. We have changed tables because no one else spoke English and we didn't speak Indian, we were at a table of 70 & 80 year olds who wanted 1st seating and last cruse because only had one couple at our table for 8 and when they came to the dining room they were drunk and ordered more booze when they got there! But we have met some great tablemates we're still in contact with. (One couple from Flint, MI, have driven to our house on the NC coast twice to cruise with us again!)

CRUISE LINES

Dolphin

Commodore

Regency

Premier

Cape Canaveral Cruises

Carnival

Royal Caribean

Celebrity

NCL

Princess

Costa

We always ask for a large table. Last cruise my 16 year old son was with my sister and I. He really came to enjoy sitting at dinner with the other 5 strangers. In fact, he learned how to enjoy the ritual of dinner and is much more likely to linger at the dinner table at home. He also enjoyed getting dressed up (in a suit) for formal nights. And this boy is a skateboarding, snow boarding, peer obsessed party animal. So we were surprised that he would enjoy formal dinners. The other diners were not people we would ever see again, but all very nice. I think the traditional seating is the best! The socal skills he picked up will last him a lifetime!

Archived