formal night question

A note to all CC posters. When you are involved in a discussion if you post an uncredited excerpt from something from somewhere twice you automatically win the dispute! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Folgy, I am thinking of a color, anyone else? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

T Seago, I actually agree with your excerpt in the sense that no one will force you to do what is right. That is a personal choice, and if you choose to be disrespectful of the requested dress code no one will stop you. As a bonus, nobody will be so uncouth as to point out that you are being disrespectful either.

My tiny piece of advice is to let your "friend" live her own life.

jc

You are retired...You proved my point about the age set.
Thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hdawson:
INteresting that T.Seago's first post to the thread was "don't listen to these people". After three cruises and some designation as a Certified Travel Agent. she obviously is an expert at cruising. BTW what designation does she have from CLIA? And you will definitely thank her for giving such good advice based on her vast experience. Other than Disney, what other lines has she cruised on?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I dress up on formal nights. I'm under 40. I've been on over 20 cruises.

Am I retired? Does this prove your point about the age set?

Again...she has seen my pictures IN THE DINING ROOM on formal night. Most people are dressed the same as us....

I have a picture of me dancing with our head waiter and about 4-5 other cruise guests. ONE guy was wearing a tie.

If she is seeing my pictures, she knows I am not lying.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xpcdoojk:
A note to all CC posters. When you are involved in a discussion if you post an uncredited excerpt from something from somewhere twice you automatically win the dispute! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Folgy, I am thinking of a color, anyone else? [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

T Seago, I actually agree with your excerpt in the sense that no one will force you to do what is right. That is a personal choice, and if you choose to be disrespectful of the requested dress code no one will stop you. As a bonus, nobody will be so uncouth as to point out that you are being disrespectful either.

jc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Under 40? She is 24.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Globaliser:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T.Seago:
Thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I dress up on formal nights. I'm under 40. I've been on over 20 cruises.

Am I retired? Does this prove your point about the age set?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thank you....I am always ready to learn.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Globaliser:
That is an asanine statement...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No, it's spelt "as_i_nine".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey JC glad to see you are so involved in another thread. On a side note tell your mom to stop calling me and your daughter too, that was a one time thing and we were both very drunk.

Is it wrong to wear designer jeans to smart casual nights? Not the ordinary blue jeans, but the nice ones with a button down shirt.

Under 40? She is 24.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>As was I, once. And when I cruised at that age, I dressed up, as I do now. Your point was that only older people dress up. I suspect that (a) you know it's not true and (b) I am uncomfortable evidence of that.

How is it disrespectful?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by xpcdoojk:

jc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gisi, poor Gisi!

Are you having a formal wedding? Do you care if cousin Jimbo shows up in his duck hunting outfit? The concept is the same. The invitation to the formal night dinner is telling you what the traditional clothing option is. You can show up as Jimbo or James Bond. Nobody but your friend will try to force you to wear anything. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

jc

jc

She had her wedding and it was gorgeous....I helped plan it after all...It was right on the beach....

I have never tried to make her wear anything...I was just letting her know she could leave the Grammy-attending dress at home.

Gisi, poor Gisi!

Are you having a formal wedding? Do you care if cousin Jimbo shows up in his duck hunting outfit? The concept is the same. The invitation to the formal night dinner is telling you what the traditional clothing option is. You can show up as Jimbo or James Bond. Nobody but your friend will try to force you to wear anything. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

jc

jc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Admittedly retired and loving it. Cruising at least twice a year. Old maybe, but not out of step. Not making my own rules and encouraging others to go along with the idea. I think every cruiser deserves the right to expect that all guests respect the standards of dress and behavior that the cruiseline sugests. As I've said, we should all choose the cruiseline that best matches our own taste and comfort level. And of course all the cruiselines have tried to provide alternatives to the formal dining room in order to satisfy those that are not inclined to dress appropriately.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hdawson:
Now, I know that some folks think NCL is a bit "fancy" so, how about the Disney cruise-line? Surely Disney - the "family" cruise line is appropriate for "everyman". They suggest the following:

Disney Cruise Lines

On other cruise lines, the norm may be "dressing up" for dinner, but this is not an issue on the Disney Cruise -- though there are a few restrictions such as no shorts, T-shirts or jeans worn in any of the restaurants in the evening.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This isn't quite the case on ALL DCL sailings. The three and four day sailings onboard the Wonder have no formal night, and smart casual is the norm every night, although many shoose to dress up a bit more for dinner in Triton's, and the adult arternate restaurant, Palo, suggests jackets for men.

On the seven night Magic cruise there is a formal and semi-formal night, during which gentlemen are reqested to wear suit and tie or tux, and ladies are requested to wear appropriate evening wear.

When we sailed on the Magic a couple years ago, 90+ % were in formal attire on formal night with about 40% of men in tuxes, 50% in a conservative suit and tie, 9% in sport jacket with shirt and tie, and a few slobs thrown in for bad measure.

Anne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssrrmm00:
Hey JC glad to see you are so involved in another thread. On a side note tell your mom to stop calling me and your daughter too, that was a one time thing and we were both very drunk.

Is it wrong to wear designer jeans to smart casual nights? Not the ordinary blue jeans, but the nice ones with a button down shirt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What a pathetic piece of work you are.

I am sure that your type of postings or humor are a big hit in the 7th grade detention crowd. I can't wait until your humor reaches the sophomoric level.

jc

T.Seago:

The reason these folks are generally not being very nice to you is because you're making it easy for them! The more defensive you are, the more they're going to work on you.

The original poster wanted to know if she was going to be OVERDRESSED by dressing up, and the answer is no. You, I'm sure, are just trying to make sure she knows that it's not mandatory to wear formal attire, and you're correct.

You have to realize, though, that many of us on this post have probably a few thousand cruises between us, and our experience is formal night is dressy and we like it that way.

Your information is correct, but most cruisers like the fun of dressing up, and it sounds like your co-worker does, too.

As for ages: most of the 20-something women I see on cruises like to wear their formals, too. They look fabulous, too. If they don't want to, then I'm not offended. I do wonder about anyone coming into the dining room dressed down on formal night when there is a great dining option in the Windjammer. It's a great place to eat and be casual.

Chill out a little, and don't let these folks on the board tweak you so much.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

I was just letting her know she could leave the Grammy-attending dress at home.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While a gown is not needed, appropriate evening attire should be worn on formal nights. This could include a cocktail dress, or even a fancy pant suit.

Anne

Thanks, P! I am having a good time here...My friend knows what to wear...I was just making sure she knew what she would be comfy in...I am not tweaked...trust me....(>'.'<)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcur:
T.Seago:

The reason these folks are generally not being very nice to you is because you're making it easy for them! The more defensive you are, the more they're going to work on you.

The original poster wanted to know if she was going to be OVERDRESSED by dressing up, and the answer is no. You, I'm sure, are just trying to make sure she knows that it's not mandatory to wear formal attire, and you're correct.

You have to realize, though, that many of us on this post have probably a few thousand cruises between us, and our experience is formal night is dressy and we like it that way.

Your information is correct, but most cruisers like the fun of dressing up, and it sounds like your co-worker does, too.

As for ages: most of the 20-something women I see on cruises like to wear their formals, too. They look fabulous, too. If they don't want to, then I'm not offended. I do wonder about anyone coming into the dining room dressed down on formal night when there is a great dining option in the Windjammer. It's a great place to eat and be casual.

Chill out a little, and don't let these folks on the board tweak you so much.

Peggy - RCI since 1973<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ssrrmm00:
Is it wrong to wear designer jeans to smart casual nights? Not the ordinary blue jeans, but the nice ones with a button down shirt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whether they are Wal-Mart brand at $12.00 a pair, or Versace at $1200 a pair, jeans are jeans. The crusieline specifies NO JEANS IN THE DINING ROOM. That means no jeans, regardless of how much you got ripped off for.

Anne

T.Seago
Your friend knows you are a certified TA, right?

Your friend also knows you've been on many cruises (well, OK, three).

She still double-checks your expert advice by making one of her first posts on this message board.

Did she not believe you? I wonder why.

Would you go 'slumming' to your son or daughters wedding?

If you answered yes, feel free to not dress up on formal nights. Most wear the same type of attire they'd wear to a wedding.

I personally would feel out of place not dressing up on formal night. I would not feel comfortable wearing 'casual' clothes to a wedding and therefore I would not feel right wearing them on formal nights on a cruise.

Just my opinion.

Grandeur of the Seas-September 4, 2004
Galaxy-June 7, 2002
Fascination-March 17, 2001

JC whens your next cruise, so we can end this little arguement.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is our arguement? You have tried like a third grader to attack me. It is pathetic. I can only assume you are equally pathetic. I don't think I want to go with you on a cruise, so we don't need adjoining cabins. Do you think that makes you a man. I am sorry child it makes you a fool.

jc

My take on it is simple. If I'm seated with someone who has such a lack of respect to not at least make an effort to follow the ships requested dress code, I'll ask for another table.

The way you dress says alot about your manners and the way you conduct yourself in general, and I don't want to spend a week with rude and disrespectful people.

Anne

Archived