MyTimeDining Fleet Wide Dates

emmy-

We were a table for 4 and never changed but I see no reason why you couldn't change from night to night, but if you have not given them any idea of the change in advance you may have to wait while they put together a table for 8.. BUT the 8 would need to be all signed up for My Time Dining too I would think, you can't float between fixed and My Time, at least you couldn't on the Jewel.

We generally ate at 7ish but others came at different times, the Host is available after 3PM to make reservations, but they WON'T turn you away if you just show up whenever, you just might have a slight wait, we only saw one group wait once during our 10 night cruise and that was only for minutes.

B52-

We NEVER waited AT ALL. And as I just said we only saw one group wait for a few minutes so I would think you would have no problem, especially if you made the Host aware of your needs at start of cruise.

Hope that helps.

The tips have to be paid in advance because in My Time Dining you are not guaranteed same wait staff, especially if you come at different times each night so that's really the only fair way for that group. We had no problem with it and the service was so good that we wound up tipping quite a bit extra because our dining experience was wonderful on the Jewel with My Time Dining.

Thanks. Like another poster stated, 6pm is too early, but the later time is way too late.

First I got a price drop, then a refund for the fuel surcharge, then this. Turning out to be a good cruise and it is still 6 months away.

emmy-

We were a table for 4 and never changed but I see no reason why you couldn't change from night to night, but if you have not given them any idea of the change in advance you may have to wait while they put together a table for 8.. BUT the 8 would need to be all signed up for My Time Dining too I would think, you can't float between fixed and My Time, at least you couldn't on the Jewel.

Thank you..just as I hoped.

Okay I need some clarification~This does not sound too flexible to me. One night you might want to dine alone but what if you meet others and you all show up at the same time and you want a table for 8 I would hope you can be accomodated just because on one evening you dined at a table for two. This is how I would expect it to work..am I wrong in assuming so?

Emmy, I have not read any other responses to this but you have the choice each night as to how many other guests you dine with or at least that is how it worked on the Freedom. They asked when you walked up how many in your party. Very simple.

It doesn't take much to confuse me at the Holidays:

Sooooo cruisin gator , you mean you walk up anytime in those hours, you dont have to make reservationsbefore the cruise, it will be 3 people at 7:13 and you have to show up at that time every night?You just go whenever between 6 & 9:30 with 2 or 20 people?

Also , they are screwing with me more by saying on some cruises, now thru Dec.23. It will not be fleet wide but random dates, for random ships?

You can sign up for MTD prior to your cruise or wait until you get on board but if you wait, there is no guarantee that there will be MTD space available.

You do not need to make a reservation. Show up at the MTD desk anytime between the hours of 6:00 and 9:30. They will ask how many in your party, cabin number and then you will be seated. We never had to wait but I'm sure if you show during peak hours then a small wait might be possible.

Why do you have to pre-pay your gratuities to participate? Don't get me wrong! We always tip above and beyond what is recommended, but I just wondered why that is a stipulation?

Anyone that wants MTD must pre-pay their gratuities and that means for the room steward too. It is all charged at one time either to your invoice if done prior to full payment or your Seapass if you sign up on board. You will not have the same wait staff nightly if you use MTD so therefore they split the gratuities among all of the MTD staff to keep it fair.

iluvkst-

Some people just don't like to see change of any kind. My Time Dining worked wonderfully for us and we will use this option every time we cruise if it's available. There was a table of 12 in our section and they were accomodated every night with no problem, your party of 6 should be a breeze.

As others have said, for us the early seating is too early and the late, too late, so this is great alternative.

BUT, if you like fixed dining you still have that option, in fact the My Time Dining section is small on each ship, at least it is right now.

We did late seating on a Princess ship but a couple of nights we just went into their My Time Dining and they seated us, not sure if RCCL is as flexible but we are definately thinking of trying it...If you want to sit with friends or family who are also signed up for MTD you have to ALL arrive together to be able to sit together...

We also were on an NCL ship which is ALL they do and that was horrible...they gave us a beeper like some restaurants and some nights we waited almost 45 mins...not acceptable. We went around 7pm which we heard is the most popular time.

We did late seating on a Princess ship but a couple of nights we just went into their My Time Dining and they seated us, not sure if RCCL is as flexible but we are definately thinking of trying it...If you want to sit with friends or family who are also signed up for MTD you have to ALL arrive together to be able to sit together...

We also were on an NCL ship which is ALL they do and that was horrible...they gave us a beeper like some restaurants and some nights we waited almost 45 mins...not acceptable. We went around 7pm which we heard is the most popular time.

This is the reason why those of us on Princess who couldn't get traditional dining because the waiting list was over 600 long, and were forced into the Anytime option had over an hour's wait for a table on most evenings. We were bumped from tables by people like you who had traditional but ate in the Anytime dining room at whim, so there weren't enough seats for those of us who were actually assigned there. You are supposed to choose one dining option or the other, not move back and forth. This is Princess's policy, and even if they didn't check, it's courtesy to your fellow cruisers to stick with your chosen dining plan. Since someone said that RCCL asks for your cabin number, hopefully, RCCL is doing it right and NOT being flexible, so that those who choose MTD will be accomodated without issue.

To those in favor of MTD: can you get the same wait team for the duration of the cruise? This is my only hesitation about MTD - for us, it is an integral part of the cruising experience to have a dedicated wait team throughout the course of the week.

DonnaK-

We had the same wait team for all but one night and they were very apologetic about that night. Service was as good or better than any cruise we've been on and we're diamond.

I think one of the reasons it worked so well on the Jewel was because only people officially signed up for it could participate and they had enough tables set aside to handle whoever showed up. As I said we only saw one group wait one night for a few minutes. The remarkable thing about that was that we were there nearly every night at 7ish which was the busiest time for this area and they handled without any problem. I just didn't see a downside with RCCL's version.

We had MTD on Serenade last month and we liked it very much. We chose it because my sister and BIL were not seated with us for dinner, (yes our reservations were linked) and that was the only way we could eat together.

We chose 6:30 for our meal time and had the same wait staff and table each night. But later that week, we met other friends from another cruise, and they were trying MTD, so we ended up with a larger table. We changed our time and table size and had no problem. I liked eating a little bit later.

When we had the table for 8, the service was so efficient, that we got out usually around 7:45 pm.

Yes, we did have to prepay our gratuities, but we always tip more, so this wasn't a problem.

donna

we just booked recently on Radiance for 2010 & chose early seating medium size table--no one offered MTD-- so can we safely asume we will not be forced into MTD?

It really has no appeal for us & I must keep to a regular schedule for my meds... I also have no desire to meet new dining friends each evening for the same introductory conversations.. That's fine for breakfast & lunch but not at dinner. Helps also that with traitional dining your waiters know what those at the table prefer & it runs well. We have made many new friends at our tables...

No problem with others enjoying MTD as long as we have our set time, table & dining staff... Hope they don't rotate staff in to MTD from reg table assignments

Carol-

There were several tables for two on our 11/07 Jewel cruise. You can't switch back and forth from one to the other though. There are a set number of tables for this concept based on the number signed up so it's not flexible enough to allow for someone to "join you" for a night half way through a cruise. On the Jewel the My Time Dining was full before we even set sail, there were those who wanted to switch the first day and couldn't.

We LOVED the concept. RCCL handles it very well, there were no "flashing beepers" as I've read about on other lines. We NEVER waited at all, we had the same waiters all nights but one and they were so apologetic about that one night that we were almost embarrassed. It was great and I disagree COMPLETELY with someone referring to this a "degradation" of the cruising concept. This was the BEST cruise we ever had and will sign up for My Time on every cruise if possible from now on. My sister and her husband who cruised with us agree completely. I am thankful that RCCL has gone this route. Early seating time is TOO EARLY and late is TOO LATE, this is wonderful alternative!

Gracie, Thank You for that info....

If you have MTD and you meet others that have it also, can you just go for dinner with them or do you have to make reservations?.....

Can you just show up every night at a different time, and by yourselves or with other people?.....

What would be the best time to go, and is there a time where to many show up at the same time?....

Carol:)

Carol-

You can go anytime you want, they just suggest making reservations because that way they can plan for you and you won't have to wait at all. We only saw one group wait the entire 10 night cruise and that was just for a few minutes.

You can show up by yourselves or with others in the My Time Dining station. They have a list of staterooms that are signed up for MTD, as long as you are all a part of it you can go together, alone, whatever.

The primetime seemed to be 7-7:30, which is when we nearly always arrived too and we never waited for a table. It was a great experience.

I just called RCI tonite and point blank asked " will MTD be offered on the Explorer in 2009?" the lady said " NO"

Who do I believe? I REALLY want MTD!!!! whats the scoop?

Feb 13th is the start of MTD for Explorer :D

I confirmed the dates/ships again yesterday with RCCL :D

We are sailing on the AOS in March, so it appears that MTD will be available. We have been interested in trying this because, like others, we think the early dining shift is too early and late dining is just a bit too late. To us, the ideal dining time is 7:30ish. I seem to recall that evening showtimes were around 7 or 7:30 on mosr RCCL cruises. We are now considering the optimum MTD reservation time that would still allow us to see the shows.

Advice?

Thanks.

Kevin-

We ate around 7ish each night(much closer to 7 than 7:30) and were done in time for the 9:00 show which is generally the time for the shows for early seating guests. 7:30 might be pushing it but the waiters in this area are able to speed up service if necessary, we saw some tables done in an hour, so if you let your server know when you sit down that you want faster service I don't think it would be a problem.

Hope that helps.

I'm thrilled that MTD is going to be available on our sailing on Legend next summer and will be signing up for it - it's great for our small party (family of 4) and for the Med ports of call - particularly since late sitting in the Med can sometimes be just a bit TOO late.

However, I'm still in 2 minds as to whether MTD will work on our sailing in April. We will be a party of 15 - 4 separate families. We're not bothered about eating really early and have booked second sitting. I love the idea of MTD but am not sure whether it will be just too much hassle to try and get a party of 15 sorted out most nights. Has anyone had experience of this - would we be better sticking with trad dining this time

Feb 13th is the start of MTD for Explorer :D

I confirmed the dates/ships again yesterday with RCCL :D

I just called and talked to 2 separate people at the My Time Dining # and both said they have no information that Monarch will go to My Time Dining. Guess I will just have to wait until March to find out if it really will happen or not. Would love to move all my res's to My Time if it actually happens. We already have it on our Serenade and Oasis cruises.

Archived