What an ugly ship

karmac

But wouldn't it be nice if the restuarant was at the back and had a view of the ocean and all the white wash.

The view would be great. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "ugly", but, I don't know.......she just doesn't look right.

With the "flat' aft it tends to look a bit container ship like, not pretty in my books. :rolleyes:. The rest looks ok .

I just did a bit of googling on her and guess what?........She was originally built as a container ship. That certainly explains the shape of her. I reckon she'd be ok to cruise on though at only 25,000 tonnes and less than 800 passengers. Would probably be a nice friendly, intimate atmosphere.

Hi everyone,

Would you believe I currently am sitting here at my computer wearing a Costa Marina Tshirt, with a picture of the ship on it..... now I have been lucky enough to have sailed on her both in North Europe/ Scandanavia and South America, was a wonderful experience lots of fun, cruising Costa is truely an amazing way to cruise Itlaian Style, loved it!!!! Also the ship the Costa Marina was lovely inside (10 years ago, but I know has been upgraded since inside), with passenger's from everywhere you truely get a cultral experience! Entertainment is some of the best you'll ever experience afloat onboard Costa, when we next plkan to cruise Europe, we will for sure be going onboard a Costa ship!

I agree! She is not a pretty ship at all!

We were in a port of call once and while looking down into another smaller ship, I said to my son "Remember the name of that ship! I wanna make sure we never mistake booking that one!"

There are some pretty sad looking cruise ships out there, I was surprised.

Hi everyone,

Would you believe I currently am sitting here at my computer wearing a Costa Marina Tshirt, with a picture of the ship on it..... now I have been lucky enough to have sailed on her both in North Europe/ Scandanavia and South America, was a wonderful experience lots of fun, cruising Costa is truely an amazing way to cruise Itlaian Style, loved it!!!! Also the ship the Costa Marina was lovely inside (10 years ago, but I know has been upgraded since inside), with passenger's from everywhere you truely get a cultral experience! Entertainment is some of the best you'll ever experience afloat onboard Costa, when we next plkan to cruise Europe, we will for sure be going onboard a Costa ship!

What a coincidence:)

I actually asked you on another thread what she was like inside....now you can ignore that question;). I realised after I started the thread that you had been on her. That pic I posted, she is in Geiranger. That is my dream cruise.......Norwgian Fjords. If I ever get the chance to do it, I'll certainly consider Costa as I think I'd like the Italian experience. And no, I don't have any Italian background in me.......although I used to always say I was going to marry an Italin (just for his mum's cooking;)).

I just did a bit of googling on her and guess what?........She was originally built as a container ship. That certainly explains the shape of her. I reckon she'd be ok to cruise on though at only 25,000 tonnes and less than 800 passengers. Would probably be a nice friendly, intimate atmosphere.

Certainly I agree with the outside view on this one Karen - Fugly!!

The first impression I had with the aft picture was that of a ferry - almost looks like you can drive your car on.

We have heard very good reports on service and food etc on Costa cruises, and we see they seem to be expanding in Asia a bit more - with 2 ships there now -, they certainly have some great deals on from time to time!

S&D

:):)

0019-0402-0403-0506_TN.jpg.dfffc746546f37730de26ba69a5a220e.jpg

Also, those Costa ships go to some pretty wierd places. The other day Costa Romantica was 500km up the Amazon.
Wouldn't that be good:D

Pacific Princess is crossing the Atlantic at the moment on its way from Banjul and "Up the Amazon",so there will be some good bridge cam views to catch .

The Costa ships,although not pretty on the outside are supposed to be very nice inside.

Costa Allegra spends a lot of time doing Asian ports.

Neilus......

Wonder what ship it is in the Costa cam capture?

ShowImage.aspx?i=2443

hi guys,

yes she was built as a container ship i found these details on her.

Axel Johnson

The Johnson Lines Container ship M/S Axel Johnson.

The first of a series of six self-unloading container vessels, delivered from Wärtsilä Ab, Turku, Finland. in June 14, 1969

IMO. 6910544

She was operating in the first full container service between Europe and the West Coast of North America.

14,700 dead-weight tons.

Speed 23 knots at 26.000 hp.

Sold 1986 to Amafiss Navigation Co in Cyprus, and renamed to M/S Regent Sun.

In 1989-90 she where rebuild to cruise ship for the Costa Crociere Italy, and renamed to Costa Marina.

cheers matt

hi guys,

yes she was built as a container ship i found these details on her.

Axel Johnson

The Johnson Lines Container ship M/S Axel Johnson.

The first of a series of six self-unloading container vessels, delivered from Wärtsilä Ab, Turku, Finland. in June 14, 1969

IMO. 6910544

She was operating in the first full container service between Europe and the West Coast of North America.

14,700 dead-weight tons.

Speed 23 knots at 26.000 hp.

Sold 1986 to Amafiss Navigation Co in Cyprus, and renamed to M/S Regent Sun.

In 1989-90 she where rebuild to cruise ship for the Costa Crociere Italy, and renamed to Costa Marina.

cheers matt

Here is what AJ looked like before the conversion,

axel_johnson_1969_tn1.JPGaxel_johnson_1969_tn3.JPGaxel_johnson_1969_tn4.JPGaxel_johnson_1969_tn2.JPG

With the "flat' aft it tends to look a bit container ship like, not pretty in my books. :rolleyes:. The rest looks ok .

Funny you should say that Marg, because it used to be a container ship in a previous life.

Opps, should have the rest of the thread, seems this info has already been shared.

Archived