Formal Attire?

GeezLouise1

Do the tropics have an inside and an outside?

Is it possible for example, to say, 'I'm just slipping into the tropics for a few minutes old boy, hand me my white jacket please'. I ask purely in a spirit of scientific enquiry you understand.

Gari

It is quite possible, Griz. If you happen to know where the Tropic of Cancer is, just step north of the imaginary line, but before you do so, make sure that you have removed your white DJ. When stepping south of the imaginary line, you may don your pure white tux again, without an ounce of worry that you will become the target of your country men's wrath.

It is quite possible, Griz. If you happen to know where the Tropic of Cancer is, just step north of the imaginary line, but before you do so, make sure that you have removed your white DJ. When stepping south of the imaginary line, you may don your pure white tux again, without an ounce of worry that you will become the target of your country men's wrath.

I would still ask him for a gin and tonic, but that's just playful old me:cool:

I would still ask him for a gin and tonic, but that's just playful old me:cool:

I am sorry Griz, you may have to worry about one of your country men --ah hum--who may try to embarrass you by asking for a gin and tonic, but only in a playful way.

Garigoun:

Sorry for the precise information. In the future when I have a choice of information or misinformation I will think long and hard before I chose what to post.

You still haven't grasped the principal have you Willy? You do NOT supply misinformation what you DO do is ignore the question completely and answer a completely different question which exists only in your imagination.

Gari

You still haven't grasped the principal have you Willy? You do NOT supply misinformation what you DO do is ignore the question completely and answer a completely different question which exists only in your imagination.

Gari

Gari! This is a family board. Now would you please answer Nom's question? Are you on QM2 on Jan 3???!!????

If weight is the issue I say go for dark suit. Though really renting is just too expensive and once bought you have them for life or until your middle expands...Get the expand type trousers. In the long run you will save money and have it forever...or at least until the next cruise or wedding or whatever....

Gari is going to the Caribbean with us???

Sadly Nom I must disappoint my loyal fans. We did consider this cruise as it falls within the octave of Senior Management's Birthday. HOWEVER, it became a choice between the Caribbean and a complete bathroom refurbishment. Naturally, being the red-blooded Alpha Male that I am I insisted on the bathroom option. So there you have it, you will be proceeding to the warm, lush, dreamy, balmy airs of the Islands completely Gari-less. I don't envy you, I've got tiling to look forward to.

Gari

Sadly Nom I must disappoint my loyal fans. We did consider this cruise as it falls within the octave of Senior Management's Birthday. HOWEVER, it became a choice between the Caribbean and a complete bathroom refurbishment. Naturally, being the red-blooded Alpha Male that I am I insisted on the bathroom option. So there you have it, you will be proceeding to the warm, lush, dreamy, balmy airs of the Islands completely Gari-less. I don't envy you, I've got tiling to look forward to.

Gari

Well shucks! I was hoping for the opportunity to meet the ever-wise and ever-funny face behind the name!

Bettie

Gari

You leave me, Sir,

Inconsolable...

While not inconsolable, I will admit to a wee bit of disappointment. A nice flute of champagne as we glide across the sea shall suffice to dull the pain, I suspect.

A whole flute. I'd have thought a penny whistle would have sufficed.

J

Sizes - Availability (current as of May 27, 2005)

Jackets (size) Quantity Trousers (size) Quantity

38 S 1 30/29 2

38 R 4 30/31 3

38 L 2 30/33 1

40 S 2 32/29 4

40 R 4 32/31 4

40 L 2 32/33 4

40 XL 2 34/26 1

42 S 1 34/29 6

42 R 4 34/30 2

42 L 1 34/31 7

42 XL 3 34/32 6

44 S 3 34/33 3

44 R 5 34/34 2

44 L 3 36/29 4

44 XL 1 36/30 4

46XS 3 36/31 7

46 S 2 36/32 7

46 R 3 36/33 1

46 L 2 36/34 3

46XL 2 38/29 3

48XS 2 38/30 3

48 S 3 38/31 11

48 R 3 38/32 7

48 L 3 38/33 3

50XS 1 38/34 2

50 S 2 40/29 4

50 R 3 40/30 4

50 L 3 40/31 13

54R 2 40/32 1

40/33 3

42/29 1

42/31 9

42/33 4

44/29 1

44/30 1

44/31 1

44/32 2

46/31 2

48/29 3

48/31 2

48/33 TBA

I am surprised at the low numbers for such a large ship . . . Do they run out often? If I was doing a lot of "cruise only" trips, I would consider buying/bringing my own . . . but for a transatlantic voyage to a real, live destination? What would one do with it upon arrival if staying a week or so?

Jon

I am surprised at the low numbers for such a large ship . . . Do they run out often? If I was doing a lot of "cruise only" trips, I would consider buying/bringing my own . . . but for a transatlantic voyage to a real, live destination? What would one do with it upon arrival if staying a week or so?

Jon

Try hanging it in the wardrobe/closet. Or leave it in the suitcase. Why is it such a big deal. It is a suit. :D

Try hanging it in the wardrobe/closet. Or leave it in the suitcase. Why is it such a big deal. It is a suit. :D

Certainly, if we were just checking in somewhere and sitting tight for a week, that could work. But dragging it all over the British Isles via train, boats, and who-knows-what-else (of course followed by the plane back, plus train home from the airport), it seems like a dreadful hassle. On the kinds of trips we like to do, luggage is a "necessary evil" to be minimized at all costs. I'm more than willing to pay steep rental fees . . . but not if there's a significant chance of them not having one for me.

I understand that many folks simply go "over and back," with little or no actual travel at the destination. But to me, the whole beauty of this sort of trip IS the fact that you're actually going somewhere! If I just wanted to experience the ship, I could do an out-and-back to Nova Scotia or some place closer.

Jon

The other option would be to ship it directly back home--perhaps with the other formal clothing you won't need for the rest of the trip. Your travel agent should be able to help organize this with the White Star service.

If you were to do a back-to-back as I've done, you can leave suitcases that you won't need for your overland travel with the Port Authorities and they'll have them back in your cabin for the return trip before you even get on board. The Purser's Office took care of this on board during the first leg of the journey, costs about 60 quid.

Jon

Even if you are trying to minimize the amount of luggage you are carting around with you, a tuxedo really doesn't take up that much room, in fact the shoes nearly take up the same amount of room. The secret is to make use of it on your journey. Suddenly appearing for dinner in the middle of the African bush in your get up always is a great conversation starter, as is wandering around European museums wearing it. I do not recommend it for mountain climbing however, that just didn't go well. You have to get out of the mind set that a tuxedo is only for use on formal nights, and the world is at your fingertips. You do get some funny looks though.

Maybe I can get tickets to a James Bond movie premier whilst over there . . . get the whole "international man of mystery" thing going :rolleyes:

You are a fun bunch; I look forward to meeting youse sophisticated folks some day. :p

Archived