what time can I actually board?

me&2kids

New to cruising, so this is probably a stupid question...

We're on the Carnival Fantasy in February, leaving from New Orleans. The listed embarkation time on Carnival's website is 1:30PM, leaving port at 4:00PM (doesn't seem like much time for boarding). I've seen several reviews where people were on their ships earlier. What time can I actually expect to board? I'd love to get there early if possible. Any advice for this port (and the whole boarding process)? We're driving and parking at the pier.

Thanks!!!

how soon you can board will depend mostly on how soon the previous cruise clears and disembarks. sometimes they will not even allow access to the dock area until the ship has cleared and emptied. other times you can get in by 10:30 or 11:00. but then so do lots of other people so it may be so crowded that you still spend a lot of time waiting to check in and to board.

you must be onboard at least 2 hours prior to sailing though.

You will likely be able to board by around 12:00 Noon; possibly sooner.

Those who want to board early try to arrive at 11:00 AM.

As mentioned, there are various factors that affect the precise time of boarding including how timely those on the cruise before you disembarked the ship.

Keith

They give you a later time so you don't have to wait if there are any problems in debarkation (computers go down, surprise inspections, etc). I usually arrive at 11:30 or so and have only had to sit and wait to board a few times ... but sometimes it does happen that you will have to wait until 12:30 or 1 to board.

Archived