Difference between BACON and CANADIAN BACON

Aussie Cruisers

Hi Friends,

Would the Nth Americans please explain this to me? On the CC Menu, there is “Bacon” (yes, I know what it is) and “Canadian Bacon.” What is the difference (apart from the accent) hahaha. :p

Mark.

Mark,

Canadian bacon is a small round (think 3" diameter) piece of pork, that really reminds me of ham more than the typical american slab bacon. It does not fry up in its own fat either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

Quote:

In the United States ordinary bacon is only made from the pork belly, yielding what is known in Britain as "streaky bacon", or "streaky rashers". In Britain bacon made from the meat on the back of the pig is referred to as back bacon and is part of traditional British and Irish breakfasts. In the United States, back bacon is called Canadian-style Bacon or Canadian Bacon.

Personally, I prefer regular bacon over Canadian bacon...I like it crispy and Canadian bacon is hard to get good and crispy because of it's texture and thickness.

In Canada when someone asks for "bacon" they mean the long strips referred to as American Bacon. We would ask for back bacon if we wanted what is referred to as Canadian bacon. I can't remember ever seeing a menu in Canada referring to it as Canadian bacon, rather as back bacon.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Bacon (not the philosopher): http://www.tonychor.com/archive/cat_worlds_best.html -- and scroll down the page for another picture as well.

Canadian bacon: see http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-canadian-bacon.htm OR http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatcureBacon.html

Bon Appetit

Back bacon (aka Canadian bacon) has MUCH less fat than strippy bacon. It's acceptable on a lot of diets, like Weight Watchers. A serving of back bacon has about 2.5 grams of fat.

I used to love to have back bacon sandwiches at the Stampede (the fair) --- three slices of back bacon on a hamburger bun. mmmmmmmmmm!

In Canada when someone asks for "bacon" they mean the long strips referred to as American Bacon. We would ask for back bacon if we wanted what is referred to as Canadian bacon. I can't remember ever seeing a menu in Canada referring to it as Canadian bacon, rather as back bacon.

Ditto!

I have never been to a restaurant where anything but the "strip" bacon is served - and I have been a Canadian citizen for nearly 70 years...

This is what we get in our restaurants and serve at home:

http://www.tonychor.com/archive/bacon.jpg

Thanks everyone.... I will order the Canadian Bacon as it is the closest to what I am used to.

Texed - I hope on separate plates! I love waffles, but with bacon? :eek:

If you really want an awsome waffle (or pancake), I recommend; back bacon, apples, onions and maple syrup. Yes, fried sweet onions.. YUUUUM

In summary; Bacon is an actor; Canadian Bacon is a movie.

Back bacon (aka Canadian bacon) has MUCH less fat than strippy bacon. It's acceptable on a lot of diets, like Weight Watchers. A serving of back bacon has about 2.5 grams of fat.

I used to love to have back bacon sandwiches at the Stampede (the fair) --- three slices of back bacon on a hamburger bun. mmmmmmmmmm!

Also known as the Calgary (Alberta) Stampede!

It is held in July each year.

It is known as "peameal" or "back bacon"!

Hey, us Canucks also eat what the rest of the world would know as "strip bacon"!

Exactly! Strange how this works, if you go into a Canadian restaurant and order bacon & eggs, you will get strip bacon. You have to specify peameal or back bacon (same thing) if you want it. This is assuming they even have in stock. A lot of places don't stock it.

I've read some really strange threads on this board and this one is in the top ten. :p

you got that right. That is exactly why cruisecritic is so great. where else in the world can you ask a question about bacon and get 22 replies in 24 hours.

Some call it anal, some entertainmnet, I just think it's awesome to have such a great community.

Thanks everyone. The regular US bacon is very different to Australian bacon too. I have even been told that some bacon is not real, but coloured and artifically made. Is that true?

Hello Aussie Cruiser

Well now you have touched a sore point with us Brits. Very occasionally do we get proper bacon on our American cruises.

The American bacon is very fatty and very very well cooked usually sitting in an inch of melted fat on the buffet, sorry but we just cant eat this type of bacon. The Canadian bacon comes in small thin 3" circles so it must be processed ( never seen a round pig)taste more like cooked ham you have on sandwich (not thick gammon ham which you have with eggs for breakfast) Maybe the Canadians can tell us if this is their type of bacon. Unfortunately none are to our liking so we go without. We are coming over to Aussie in March so I hope you have some good bacon!

Archived