?????What Gives?????

Woobstr112G

I just found out yestersday that princess is pulling a fast one on me. For my upcoming Diamond princess Australian cruise, I specifically booked my AD class cabin (mini suite) because irt is part of that small group that has a totally covered balcony. Was checking my personalizer yesterday and I found out I have been "Upgraded" to an "AC" mini on the dolphin deck with an uncovered balcony. I also requested the "no upgrade" option when I booked my cruise. When I called princess, I got the run around with one of the sales reps saying I had to talk to customer service. The customer service person said I couldn't find anything out till Monday...This stinks...:mad::mad::mad:

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Celebrity Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Celebrity Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Celebrity Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

HAL Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Carnival Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

I just fopund out yestersday that princess is pulling a fast one on me. For my upcoming Diamond princess Australian cruise, I specifically booked my AD class cabin (mini suite) because irt is part of that small group that has a totally covered balcony. Was checking my personalizer yesterday and I found out I have been "Upgraded" to an "AC" mini on the dolphin deck with an uncovered balcony. I also requested the "no upgrade" option when I booked my cruise. When I called princess, I got the run around with one of the sales reps saying I had to talk to customer service. The customer service person said I couldn't find anything out till Monday...This stinks...:mad::mad::mad:

Bob

Bob, Call back Monday and be your sweet little ole self, but be firm. :) If you marked your stateroom 'NO UPGRADE' and they still upgraded you without notice, nicely let them know this will not be acceptable as you had informed them from the start you were not interested in an upgrade.

Check back in and let us know what happens here please. And best of luck. Remember, sweet but FIRM! ;)

I just fopund out yestersday that princess is pulling a fast one on me. For my upcoming Diamond princess Australian cruise, I specifically booked my AD class cabin (mini suite) because irt is part of that small group that has a totally covered balcony. Was checking my personalizer yesterday and I found out I have been "Upgraded" to an "AC" mini on the dolphin deck with an uncovered balcony. I also requested the "no upgrade" option when I booked my cruise. When I called princess, I got the run around with one of the sales reps saying I had to talk to customer service. The customer service person said I couldn't find anything out till Monday...This stinks...:mad::mad::mad:

Bob

This happened to us once but it was quickly corrected once I pointed out that we had a no upgrade notation on our booking. I suggested that instead of upgrading us, that they give the upgrade to whoever it was that they gave my cabin to and reinstate my original booking. They did. Of course I had a good TA that went to bat for me. I hope this works out for you too. In the meantime I know it can cause some anxiety but don't let it make you crazy.

Bob, Call back Monday and be your sweet little ole self, but be firm. :) If you marked your stateroom 'NO UPGRADE' and they still upgraded you without notice, nicely let them know this will not be acceptable as you had informed them from the start you were not interested in an upgrade.

Check back in and let us know what happens here please. And best of luck. Remember, sweet but FIRM! ;)

Thanks Toto;

I'll try and be a little nicer than I was this morning....I was, shall we say, not happy......:rolleyes:

Bob

This happened to us once but it was quickly corrected once I pointed out that we had a no upgrade notation on our booking. I suggested that instead of upgrading us, that they give the upgrade to whoever it was that they gave my cabin to and reinstate my original booking. They did. Of course I had a good TA that went to bat for me. I hope this works out for you too. In the meantime I know it can cause some anxiety but don't let it make you crazy.

You'd think when I booked it directly with princess, they would have got it right.....

Bob

I definitely would not be happy with this either. I hope they fix it for you. That is wrong. The purpose of booking a particular cabin and even paying more to do it, is to get what you want. I personally don't think we should even have to mark no upgrade on them. That is what gtys are for. Not fair or right. They should at least call first.

I just found out yestersday that princess is pulling a fast one on me.

while I hope it works out and you get what you want I can pretty much say for certain that princess isnt trying to pull a fast one or mislead you...probably a better solution than getting frustrated

Did you ever have an actual AD Emerald deck mini or were you on a GTY? :)

When I first booked the cruise in April, I booked an AA mini. Over the summer, I discovered my balcony was uncovered. This is a big thing with DW and myself. I called princess and had it changed to an AD mini. I was assigneed cabin E731; the one on the end with the longer "wrap around" balcony. I also told the princess rep that I did not want to upgrade. This is why I'm just a little "miffed."...Anyway, I just got home from work and later on this morning when I get up, I'll call princess and hopefully get this mess straightened out.

Bob

while I hope it works out and you get what you want I can pretty much say for certain that princess isnt trying to pull a fast one or mislead you...probably a better solution than getting frustrated

Why would they upgrade me then? Do you think it was just a clerical error?

Bob

I definitely would not be happy with this either. I hope they fix it for you. That is wrong. The purpose of booking a particular cabin and even paying more to do it, is to get what you want. I personally don't think we should even have to mark no upgrade on them. That is what gtys are for. Not fair or right. They should at least call first.

a novel concept, isn't it........:rolleyes:

Bob

Several of the Carnival Brands have a computer booking system called "POLAR".

It is a very sophisticated intuitive system that predicts booking demands and trends and automatically reacts to them.

Say, for example, that you have already booked a cabin in a particular category. If demand for that category rises above a certain point, the computer will automatically - without telling anyone - upgrade you to a better category and put your original cabin back into inventory, to be sold again.

The idea here is that most passengers would be quite happy to receive a free upgrade.

There are some cases, however, where this is not a desirable situation. When somebody like you has a particular cabin booked for a special reason, you do not want to be upgraded. This is why the cruise lines that use POLAR give you the option, when booking, of telling them that you do not want to be upgraded.

Unfortunately, this situation of not wanting to be upgraded is so rare, that the staff who enter the data into the POLAR system sometimes fail to tell the computer that you do not want the upgrade.

It's simple human error. That's probably what happened in your case. Usually it is easily rectified, as most passengers will jump at taking your upgrade.

As a TA I can tell you that this is one of the most frusterating things that the cruise lines do, and some do it more than others. Even if I say NO UPGRADE it sometimes still happens, and I just dont get it, and can never get a straight answer from the cruise line...I am in NO way saying Princess does it, I am just saying in general. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Here is where I'm confused. If you mark "NO UPGRADE" on your booking, I thought that Princess or your TA (if booked through TA) was supposed to call and ask if you wanted the upgrade. This happened to us and we had so many hours in which to decide. We told them we didn't want the upgrade and were able to keep our original cabin. Is this in some paperwork I'm not seeing or is this a Princess policy that they can just upgrade without checking even though the booking says NO UPGRADE?

Here is where I'm confused. If you mark "NO UPGRADE" on your booking, I thought that Princess or your TA (if booked through TA) was supposed to call and ask if you wanted the upgrade. This happened to us and we had so many hours in which to decide. We told them we didn't want the upgrade and were able to keep our original cabin. Is this in some paperwork I'm not seeing or is this a Princess policy that they can just upgrade without checking even though the booking says NO UPGRADE?

I noticed on my cruise summary for my upcoming cruise this statement by Princess. I don't remember seeing this in the past and not sure if I just missed it or if it is new. But it sure does cover them in situations like this.

Please contact your Travel Agent or 1-800-PRINCESS to change any information in your Booking Summary. Carrier may, without liability for refund or damages, change your booked accommodations at anytime without notice.

spacer.gif

When I first booked the cruise in April, I booked an AA mini. Over the summer, I discovered my balcony was uncovered. This is a big thing with DW and myself. I called princess and had it changed to an AD mini. I was assigneed cabin E731; the one on the end with the longer "wrap around" balcony. I also told the princess rep that I did not want to upgrade. This is why I'm just a little "miffed."...Anyway, I just got home from work and later on this morning when I get up, I'll call princess and hopefully get this mess straightened out.

Bob

Sounds like the TA may have goofed, hope you get it straightened out. :)

I certainly understand how you would be miffed about this! We have that same cabin booked on the Emerald next November and the only upgrade I would accept is to a full suite!

The only thing about upgrades is that you can not specify what you will or will not accept an upgrade to. If you choose 'will accept' that gives the cruise line the right to upgrade your stateroom.

Good news...All is now good. Just got off the phone with Princess and we are back in our original stateroom. Yahooooooooo......:D:):D

Bob

Archived