Please help settle a bet

abhb

All ships also have a 220V outlet right next to the 110V one that you can probably use too. Nearly all AC adapters for electronics like laptop computers, digital camera chargers, camcorders, cell phones, etc. are dual voltage -- just check the specs. printed on each adapter to be sure. I know all of ours are (including the I-Pod USB charger we have)

All you need then to use this as a second outlet is a simple European - North American plug adapter (no voltage converted needed). You can get one cheaply at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Very small to pack. You'll need this anyway if you ever travel in Europe.

One caution though: be very careful with electrical appliances (hair dryers, shavers/trimmers, etc.) as many do not convert dual voltage; those of these that do usually require you to change a switch to use at 220V.

First cruise took the power strip, it was just in the way. I think I would skip it and just trade off what is charged at any given time. Besides 2 of the 5 cell phones we will have with us are Blackberry phones so they charge off a USB port...and we will have a computer with us so charging from the computer while the computer is plugged in is no biggie. The 3-4 cameras will never need to be charged all at once. My camera likely will only be charged one time in the middle of the cruise...

I have a power strip and it has gone on a few cruises, but hardly ever gets used. We don't need to charge our phones because they are turned off, our camera batteries are charged overnight, plus we always have spares and we don't really have any other uses, no computer or curling irons etc...

But, the power strip is just a 3 outlet model and takes up almost no space, it's kind of like a sewing kit, only handy if you need it and a bummer if you don't have it along. It sits in the bottom of my always packed toiletry kit.

My DH thinks that it is not necessary to bring an outlet strip. I think it is.

How many plugs are in a non-suite room? We will be bring 2 ipods, 2 cell phones and a digital cameral. We will be on the Jewel this Friday.

Well, your husband clearly wins the bet, the only thing necessary is identification and a credit card/some cash. Everything beyond that are just conveniences to one degree or another.

• 8 months later...

I bring an outlet strip that has the surge suppressor to protect my laptop. That is my main reason of bringing the outlet strip/surge suppressor. To protect senstive electronic such as laptop. The outlet strip I have is not that large, made out of plastic and light. If you are bringing your laptop you may considering of bringing one outlet strip that has the surge protection.

I have never even thought of bringing one. 2 cell phones, 2 ipods, 1 camera. Once the ship leaves port it is awfully hard to get a signal so ours are turned off. The other stuff is charged at different times so it is no big deal.

I don't need a power strip for the multiple outlets, but neither my hair dryer nor my camera charger would fit into the plug below the mirror on Enchantment. I can live with the provided hairdryer (might not even bring mine this trip) but my camera doesn't take batteries- it must be recharged, so I don't want to risk it dying mid-trip. So I've either got to bring a power strip or my laptop (I can charge it via USB as well).

We do usually take one. Is it necessary? No. Is it convenient to have? Yes. Most electronics have a larger base plug and therefore although there are 2 plugs in the room only one can really be used at once. It's just easier not to have to worry about batteries dying or which thing takes priority to charge. Power strips are small and lightweight. No reason not to throw one in.

Archived