Medical onboard the Sapphire Princess

Marusia

While on our Sept. 27th Mexican Riviera cruse I had fallen. I was walking past the bar on the Lido deck and slipped and fell. My husband helped me up. There was a gentleman at the bar and also the bartender who saw the whole thing. I was not drinking, just walking by. I had a pair of Birkenstock sandals on. There were no signs displayed that the floor was wet or slippery. I was a little shaken, but I walked away. Buy the time I entered the dining area – maybe 20 steps I noticed that my right hand / wrist area was totally swollen. I had a lump on my hand the size of a plum, I was able to move my fingers and wrist. I immediately went to medical. The sign stated that they would open at 4:30pm, it was 3:45pm. If this was an emergency Medical could be reached for a “additional fee”. I decided to go back to my cabin and change out of my bathing suit and get some ice on my hand. No my suite was not wet when I fell. I wasn’t in the pool prior to falling. I came back at 4:15 with my husband.

The Nurse examined me and DH filled out a bunch of forms. I could not write. Of course this was my right arm. And I am right handed. Then 2 Doctors and the Security Officer meet with me. And another Security Officer met with DH. I was asked how I would like to pay for my visit by the Nurse. I told her that I did not feel I should have to pay for my visit. It was an accident I had on their deck, I had not caused any of this. The Doctor greed with me. After 2 sets of x-rays it was decided that my hand / wrist / arm was not broken. Two hours later I left with my hand and wrist wrapped up in an ace bandage and 4 days’ supply of pain and anti inflammation pills, with my arm in a sling.

The Cabin Steward was very kind. I had asked for an extra pillow so that I could prop my arm up, above my heart, to help with the swelling. Unfortunately he was not able to find a pillow. Instead he gave me a blanket stuffed into a pillow case. It worked for me. Yes it did put a damper on my vacation, Yes I was in pain. Yes my hand / wrist hurt the rest of the trip.

There were at least 3 other people who had fallen on board the ship. One gentleman had his whole arm in a cast. I never spoke to any of them regarding their falls.

When we received our bill there wasn’t a charge listed for the medical visit. We paid our bill and disembarked in LA on Oct 4th.

Last Friday I received a bill in the mail from Princess asking me to pay approximately $300.00 for the medical visit immediately.

I feel I should not be charged for the coast of the visit. Since it was due to the staffs’ negligence that the spill was not wiped up. That there were no signs posted that the floor is wet. After my fall the signs appeared and remained in all areas.

What would you do regarding the bill?

While on our Sept. 27th Mexican Riviera cruse I had fallen. I was walking past the bar on the Lido deck and slipped and fell. My husband helped me up. There was a gentleman at the bar and also the bartender who saw the whole thing. I was not drinking, just walking by. I had a pair of Birkenstock sandals on. There were no signs displayed that the floor was wet or slippery. I was a little shaken, but I walked away. Buy the time I entered the dining area – maybe 20 steps I noticed that my right hand / wrist area was totally swollen. I had a lump on my hand the size of a plum, I was able to move my fingers and wrist. I immediately went to medical. The sign stated that they would open at 4:30pm, it was 3:45pm. If this was an emergency Medical could be reached for a “additional fee”. I decided to go back to my cabin and change out of my bathing suit and get some ice on my hand. No my suite was not wet when I fell. I wasn’t in the pool prior to falling. I came back at 4:15 with my husband.

The Nurse examined me and DH filled out a bunch of forms. I could not write. Of course this was my right arm. And I am right handed. Then 2 Doctors and the Security Officer meet with me. And another Security Officer met with DH. I was asked how I would like to pay for my visit by the Nurse. I told her that I did not feel I should have to pay for my visit. It was an accident I had on their deck, I had not caused any of this. The Doctor greed with me. After 2 sets of x-rays it was decided that my hand / wrist / arm was not broken. Two hours later I left with my hand and wrist wrapped up in an ace bandage and 4 days’ supply of pain and anti inflammation pills, with my arm in a sling.

The Cabin Steward was very kind. I had asked for an extra pillow so that I could prop my arm up, above my heart, to help with the swelling. Unfortunately he was not able to find a pillow. Instead he gave me a blanket stuffed into a pillow case. It worked for me. Yes it did put a damper on my vacation, Yes I was in pain. Yes my hand / wrist hurt the rest of the trip.

There were at least 3 other people who had fallen on board the ship. One gentleman had his whole arm in a cast. I never spoke to any of them regarding their falls.

When we received our bill there wasn’t a charge listed for the medical visit. We paid our bill and disembarked in LA on Oct 4th.

Last Friday I received a bill in the mail from Princess asking me to pay approximately $300.00 for the medical visit immediately.

I feel I should not be charged for the coast of the visit. Since it was due to the staffs’ negligence that the spill was not wiped up. That there were no signs posted that the floor is wet. After my fall the signs appeared and remained in all areas.

My husband broke his shoulder on the Diamond last year. No bill was to be expected and none was received. Hopefully you had insurance; they will take care of it. Should you have received this bill? No. Was it foolish of them to send it? Yes. I think it's just the right hand not talking to the left hand, but I wouldn't make a big thing over $300. Just submit it for payment to your insurance company.

I would initially write back to the Princess address that billed you, with a summary of your situation, and that you had indicated at time of treatment that you did not feel obligated to pay and that it was your understanding upon leaving the Infirmary that that was the arrangement. In the meantime, contact your insurance and determine your coverage. ken

I would initially write back to the Princess address that billed you, with a summary of your situation, and that you had indicated at time of treatment that you did not feel obligated to pay and that it was your understanding upon leaving the Infirmary that that was the arrangement. In the meantime, contact your insurance and determine your coverage. ken

Writing to Princess is like writing to nobody. She will only get back a form letter about how they are not responsible....blah blah blah. You have just heard the voice of experience.

The only way Princess will pick up this bill is if you can PROVE it was their negligence that caused you to fall. OMG, if I had a running count on how many passengers I have seen fall onboard a Princess (and other lines) ship it would run into the hundreds. Many just trip over their own feet and fall as they aren't used to wearing certain shoes, or walking on certain types of decking.

Sorry, but this is what insurance is for. Hope you had travel insurance and can submit the claim. I doubt Princess is going to write this bill off, especially now after you have left the ship.

What I don't understand is why the charges for the medical services did not show up on your shipboard statement? I have been to the doctor as late as last thing in the afternoon on the last day of a cruise, and the charges appeared as I expected them to. I think you DO have some recourse here, based on the fact the charges weren't on your account when you disembarked the ship. I think it IS a case of two people not conveying the proper information. I would not just pay the bill, but would pursue it.

FWIW, slip and falls on ships are too frequent. I fell on the Radiance of the Seas near their indoor (solarium) pool on day 2 of a 23 night cruise once. I felt foolish and was sore for a few days, but never went to see the doctor. I read later on this board about that same area on that ship and its sister ships, how slippery they can be, and I kind of wish I had at least reported the incident, as they might have at least put up a sign or something.

What I don't understand is why the charges for the medical services did not show up on your shipboard statement? I have been to the doctor as late as last thing in the afternoon on the last day of a cruise, and the charges appeared as I expected them to. I think you DO have some recourse here, based on the fact the charges weren't on your account when you disembarked the ship. I think it IS a case of two people not conveying the proper information. I would not just pay the bill, but would pursue it.

FWIW, slip and falls on ships are too frequent. I fell on the Radiance of the Seas near their indoor (solarium) pool on day 2 of a 23 night cruise once. I felt foolish and was sore for a few days, but never went to see the doctor. I read later on this board about that same area on that ship and its sister ships, how slippery they can be, and I kind of wish I had at least reported the incident, as they might have at least put up a sign or something.

It is interesting it did not show up, yes, we have always had the charges applied to our account immediately but maybe it is because, as the op stated, she told them up front she did not think she was responsible..It is really hard to know why one slips and falls. My feeling is, the OP will get nowhere fast. Again, you bring up a good point about the charges not being on the bill. It wil be interesting to see how this plays out.

Nita

I'm sorry this happened to you but as others have said, the least stressful thing to do is to submit the bill to your insurance company.

The Lido deck, including right near the bar, is near pools and while you weren't wet, many people walking past there are. Unless cruise ships eliminated pools completely, there will be wet spots here and there and are almost impossible for the ship's staff to constantly monitor and wipe up. This is true whether it's Princess or any other cruiseline. Right or wrong, they take the attitude that if you are on a deck with pools, there will be wet spots and passengers should wear non-slip shoes and walk carefully.

I have ???, a few comments and my experience getting hurt onboard...

Did you ask for a report to be filed with the Passenger Services Manager?

Did a security/safety officer come take a report?

Did you ever hear that a focus file had been opened?

This is something that every person or their traveling partner needs to do

after you have visited the doctor. You are protecting yourself, when it comes

to not being blamed that you must of been negligent

ALSO, if it is outside of normal business officers and the bartender

had reported your fall and a code was called you wouldn't have to

pay for the immediate medical attention.

Once reports are taken and investigated 9 times out of 10 your doctor fees will be waived.

On our Tahiti/Hawaii B2B cruise several days from any land my big toe was severly cut

and the pad of the toe was hanging 3/4 the way up Blood was all over me as I sat on a chair trying to compress

my toe back together...as people began assisting me I could hear a

code alpha being announced.

I did need quite a few stitches but the seas were too rough,

so I was super glued back together.

The entire accident was thoroughly investigated and documented..being a small ship even Captain Lupo paid me a visit.

I was not charged for the medical code in off hours, I was not charged for my treatment, I was not charged for the pain meds.

I was not charged for follow up visits.

I was not charged for the Maitre D medicine as he called it...(free drinks

in the dining room each evening)

I'm sorry you were injured, I know it put a damper on your cruise, but

thank god it wasn't broken or your hip or leg was broken.

I would speak with Princess using the position that it was charged after

the cruise and you were under the impression it was covered because

it was an accident on the ship and you were not at fault.

If that doesn't work, contact your insurance. I know mine covers for anything outside of network, I just submit paperwork and the bill.

K.

I am so sorry for your injury. I'm sure its not fun especially on vacation.

I really don't think it is Princess fault. People fall on deck all the time. Due to water, spills and just tripping over their own feet. When there are hundreds of people on deck spills happen all the time. Perhaps the person who caused the spill should pay your bill? :eek: Whenever I am on Lido deck I walk carefully because water and spills can be anywhere.

This is what travel insurance is for. Be thankfull that it wasnt any worse.

I am so sorry for your injury. I'm sure its not fun especially on vacation.

I really don't think it is Princess fault. People fall on deck all the time. Due to water, spills and just tripping over their own feet. When there are hundreds of people on deck spills happen all the time. Perhaps the person who caused the spill should pay your bill? :eek: Whenever I am on Lido deck I walk carefully because water and spills can be anywhere.

This is what travel insurance is for. Be thankfull that it wasnt any worse.

Umbarger, this is not what insurance is for. (not flaming you, it is just this general type statement that causes responsible parties to not have to take care of their properties) There is negligence on the part of Princess for not keeping the slip and fall hazard rule. If you slipped in the lobby of an office building due to water or some other slippery hazard, the building owners liability policy will cover this. Yes, spills do happen, but it is the cruise line's responsibility to keep their walkways, common areas, etc. free from these type of hazards.

Most health insurance carriers will pay the bill after you have paid it on this type of claim. Princess did not charge purposely and then sent the bill after the fact.

Now, the OP has to either fight Princess or submit to her health insurance.

Me - I would fight it.

Colo - I wouldn't pay it either, but would make sure that Princess receives communication in writing from me.

Maurisua - so sorry this happened. Hopefully the free drinks helped a little.:)

Umbarger, this is not what insurance is for. (not flaming you, it is just this general type statement that causes responsible parties to not have to take care of their properties) There is negligence on the part of Princess for not keeping the slip and fall hazard rule. If you slipped in the lobby of an office building due to water or some other slippery hazard, the building owners liability policy will cover this. Yes, spills do happen, but it is the cruise line's responsibility to keep their walkways, common areas, etc. free from these type of hazards.

Most health insurance carriers will pay the bill after you have paid it on this type of claim. Princess did not charge purposely and then sent the bill after the fact.

Me - I would fight it.

Colo - I wouldn't pay it either, but would make sure that Princess receives communication in writing from me.

So you are saying that water on the deck in an area around the pool should be cleaned up immediately, and if not, the cruise line is at fault for anyone that slips and falls?????? I feel that legally, there is an expectation of water on the floor in the area of a swimming pool. IMHO of coarse.

So you are saying that water on the deck in an area around the pool should be cleaned up immediately, and if not, the cruise line is at fault for anyone that slips and falls?????? I feel that legally, there is an expectation of water on the floor in the area of a swimming pool. IMHO of coarse.

and I agree with you 100%. The only issue here is whether the OP should have been billed prior to debarkation.?? Of than that I don't see where Princess should be held responsible.

Nita

For us here in the Northeast - we better keep our walkways clean and free of obstructions when it snows or gets icy. If someone slips and falls, Harry Homemaker is responsible for any injuries. The City of Boston is expected to keep our roads and sidewalks clean. But, they can bury your car with snow if you are parked in a zone that restricts parking during a snow storm:eek:

because there is a sign that says so. :cool:

The same holds true for Corporate. They buy insurance for just this reason.

It is the responsibility of the (in this case) Cruise Line to keep their guests

free from harm. Water is a hazard - whether there is an expection of it being around a pool or any "common area." It is up to Princess to make sure that no "hazard" exists. Now you know why.

For us here in the Northeast - we better keep our walkways clean and free of obstructions when it snows or gets icy. If someone slips and falls, Harry Homemaker is responsible for any injuries. The City of Boston is expected to keep our roads and sidewalks clean. But, they can bury your car with snow if you are parked in a zone that restricts parking during a snow storm:eek:

because there is a sign that says so. :cool:

The same holds true for Corporate. They buy insurance for just this reason.

It is the responsibility of the (in this case) Cruise Line to keep their guests

free from harm. Water is a hazard - whether there is an expection of it being around a pool or any "common area." It is up to Princess to make sure that no "hazard" exists. Now you know why.

While you are correct to a certain extent, you won't find Harriet Homemaker standing by on the sidewalk with a shovel 24/7 to remove snow as it falls. If someone walks by your house at the height of the storm, is HH responsible or is there a reasonable expectation that you're going to find snow on a sidewalk or walkway in the middle of a blizzard? Heck, in Boston or East Boston, it's more likely that HH will position an old kitchen chair in the street to preserve their parking space than anything else.

I have ???, a few comments and my experience getting hurt onboard...

Did you ask for a report to be filed with the Passenger Services Manager?

Did a security/safety officer come take a report?

Did you ever hear that a focus file had been opened?

This is something that every person or their traveling partner needs to do

after you have visited the doctor. You are protecting yourself, when it comes

to not being blamed that you must of been negligent

ALSO, if it is outside of normal business officers and the bartender

had reported your fall and a code was called you wouldn't have to

pay for the immediate medical attention.

K.

Thank you for posting these terms. Good to know for future reference. Fortunately, I've never required medical services and figured there was a 'process' in place for shipboard accidents.

Good luck, Marusia, with whatever course of action you decide.:)

Pam - I know you were originally PA in MA:D I think that nice AZ weather is

being too good to you.....so here is a ? for you. If Henrietta Homemaker puts her trash barrel or chair out in the parking area of the Street, that means the car is not there. If it gets covered over with snow from your blizzard and someone crossing the Street steps on it, falls down and hits their head on the telephone pole and requires 15 stitches - is that to be expected? :D:):D

Now back to the OP.

Me - I would fight it.

Sorry would disagree with you on some points, Northender.

If you slip and fall on land in a bldg, the building owner's coverage my cover your meds only because they have premises med pay insurance which pays regardless of fault or negligence. A ship at sea or any landowner has no obligation to care that type of coverage. Without that or to get an addi'l settlement for pain/suffering, you have to prove them negligent. And just because tenat joe smith spills his latte, doesn't mean the building owner is at fault. It's up to the party bringing the claim to PROVE that the bldg owner knew or should have known of the hazardous situation.

Also regarding your snow situation, a property owner has no duty to warn and no responsibility if someone is injured due to an open and obvious condition, ie snow is slick. If someone falls, on snow, it's not the landowners fault. Also statutes requiring shoveling within some much time, have nothing to do with liability for injuries if they don't shovel.

With regard to the OP falling on water on the open deck of a ship, near the pool. A reasonable person should know that there is likely to be water and be extra cautious. Im sure hundreds managed not to fall which indicates it was possible not to. Also, she has to PROVE that Princess knew or should have known that that particular puddle was present and they failed to wipe it up.

So again, sorry that the op slipped and fell. I've almost done same. Thankfully she was not hurt seriously and (at least my) travel insurance would cover her treatment.

........With regard to the OP falling on water on the open deck of a ship, near the pool. A reasonable person should know that there is likely to be water and be extra cautious. Im sure hundreds managed not to fall which indicates it was possible not to. Also, she has to PROVE that Princess knew or should have known that that particular puddle was present and they failed to wipe it up.

Exactly!

Now as to why it was billed later rather than on the final shipboard statement probably has to do with risk management. If they take off the charges, they are admitting they were negligent and caused her to fall.

The last poster is probably right regarding a review of the incident and risk management deciding that they had better charge or be open for more litigation. That being said, The bar area should have no slip padding since most of it is tiled and very dangerous and it's difficult to see water. When you step off the carpeted areas around the pool onto the wood decking it's very easy to fall; even a very cautious person could suffer a fall under those circumstances. That being said, I do feel Princess should at least cover the medical treatment. The physician on board agreed to no charges and that should be upheld.

I would write a proper letter explaining the entire situation and hold off payment until you get in touch with someone higher up. Request a telephone discussion of the issue in your letter. It might not help but it's worth putting it in writing. If you did have medical coverage, I would notify them of the claim immediately though so that there will be a record.

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all in expecting treatment for an injury sustained onboard under reasonable circumstances; you weren't drunk, or climbing on a chair, or any other type of negligent behavior; you were simply walking.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Archived