Cancellations must be running rampid

bajathree

MIAMI (AP) -- Carnival Corp., the world's largest cruise operator, on Thursday lowered its 2009 earnings guidance and said advance bookings continue to lag compared with 2008 as consumers delay booking vacations.

"As expected, 2009 is shaping up to be a challenging year in the travel industry," said Carnival Chairman and Chief Executive Micky Arison in a statement.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081218/carnival_outlook.html?.v=1

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Bonuses in the financial services industry are practically non-existant and unemployment is up. It is a challenging year in every industry with the exception of health care.

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

We are able to cancel and rebook after final payment, at a much lower rate. We upgraded to the balcony:D

Rampant + rapid = Rampid. As in 'the rapid rate of cancellations is becoming rampant'.

That's my definition and I'm stickin' to it. :p

P.S. I've been using the word 'troublems' for years.

Hmm, I always do a double take when someone says, "conversate.":confused::confused:

This shouldn't surprise anyone. Bonuses in the financial services industry are practically non-existant and unemployment is up. It is a challenging year in every industry with the exception of health care.

I am in the retail industry sales are way down 4th quarter (no suprise). We didn't even hire holiday help this year. Expect longer than ususal return lines after the holidays because we are already thinking about payroll cut backs. Thank God my wife works in the health care industry.

How I wish this were true! I work in health care administration and hospital admissions and surgeries are down around the country. People will postpone elective care when the economy is hurting. Two hospitals in my city recently had lay-offs and a third in a nearby city reported a $5 million loss for the first time ever for the fiscal year ending Sept 30, 2007. The loss was do mainly to charity write-offs and an increase in ER visits.

Having said that, I've been surprised that the cruise I booked to the Baltic Sea in June seems relatively full or at least the room selection in several categories seems very limited. Does anyone know whether you can easily change room locations if a preferable one becomes available? There doesn't seem to be a mechanism on the HAL website. I guess I would have to call.

Thank you Debbie for getting this thread back "on track" - yes spelling can be "funny" but the bottom line is people generally want to get as much info as possible about the subject - in this case are cancellations really - oh you know - ubiquitous? And they'd rather not have to sort thru a litany of irrelevant postings. Our TA in April on the Emerald is indeed one of the best cruising bargains around. Final payment isn't even due yet and we just saved nearly $1,000 off the already great price we got when we booked the price early on. That was way mo bettah than we ever hoped for!

Right! I was having so much fun reading this that I plum forgot what the subject of the thread really was. Oh yeah, it was about cancellations....

I think one of the main factors is that TAs do book a block of cabins and have to assign a dining preference to each on, so they pick on of the traditional times for the whole block. When it comes down to either booking out of the block or releasing the balance, those booking customers could be choosing an alternate time or PC which reduces the waitlist pool. Since you saw a very dramatic drop, I would guess that it was a releasing a large block back to the general public.

How I wish this were true! I work in health care administration and hospital admissions and surgeries are down around the country. People will postpone elective care when the economy is hurting. Two hospitals in my city recently had lay-offs and a third in a nearby city reported a $5 million loss for the first time ever for the fiscal year ending Sept 30, 2007. The loss was do mainly to charity write-offs and an increase in ER visits.

Having said that, I've been surprised that the cruise I booked to the Baltic Sea in June seems relatively full or at least the room selection in several categories seems very limited. Does anyone know whether you can easily change room locations if a preferable one becomes available? There doesn't seem to be a mechanism on the HAL website. I guess I would have to call.

Your industry has still fared better than every other out there and that's one of the reasons I've heard that men (more commonly in financial services) are feelilng this recession more than women. Nobody is doing great and that's the reason why I expect the travel industry to get hit as well.

Just got a call from our TA. We usually don't get upgraded because we like side-by-side balcony cabins. Final payment on this cruise is due 12/25. We were just upgraded from category BB, a Caribe deck balcony, to AC which is a mini suite on the Dolphin Deck! We were wondering if a lot of folks were cancelling or maybe downgrading. It seems weird that we could get upgraded in the side-by-side cabin situation. Anyway, the upgrade fairy has smiled kindly on us! Wishing you all the same!

Archived