Veendam - bermuda 2010

PRINSENDAM

Below is a copy of Holland America's Press Release:

Holland America Line Increases 2010 Bermuda Cruises to 24

Roundtrip New York Sailings Begin in April Now

Seattle, WA, December 18, 2008 – Holland America Line announced it will more than double its previously announced Bermuda cruises in 2010 from 11 to 24 beginning on April 25, 2010. Sailing roundtrip from New York aboard ms Veendam, the cruises will visit both Hamilton and St. George’s, Bermuda’s cultural and shopping hubs.

“This is a wonderful development for Holland America Line and Bermuda,” said Richard D. Meadows, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs. “We are thrilled to homeport a ship in New York City to sail to Bermuda and our extended season to the islands will be very exciting to our guests.”

When the 1,350-guest ms Veendam sails in April on the first of 24 seven-day roundtrips to the island, it will mark Holland America Line’s return to New York City as a home port and to Bermuda as a destination. Additionally, guests of Holland America Line will have an opportunity to fully experience Bermuda’s British charm and its unique island culture by day and by night with multi-day stays in Hamilton and St. George’s. The itinerary calls for approximately two and half days in each port. The season lasts until October 10, 2010.

“Veendam is ideal for this itinerary,” Meadows noted. “She is a premium mid-size ship, the perfect size to navigate the narrow entrances to the harbors in Hamilton and St. George’s. Veendam’s guests are able to step off the ship right in the center of each town. Ships larger than Veendam must tie up at the Dockyard facility a considerable distance from both towns.”

Bermuda offers many activities for the entire family, from historic discoveries, active pursuits such as horseback riding and kayaking and wonderful beaches with swimming and snorkeling. The island is also known for world-renowned golf courses.

Holland America Line worked closely with the Bermudian government to form the partnership that takes Holland America Line back to the island that it first visited more than 70 years ago. In 1926, Veendam II, with a guest capacity of approximately 500, left New York on the company’s first Caribbean cruise. During the summers of 1930 and 1931, Veendam II sailed on five-day roundtrip cruises between New York and Bermuda.

Founded in 1609, the town of St. George’s in the northeast area of Bermuda is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the second oldest settlement in North America. Only Jamestown in the United States is older. Narrow, twisting streets and pastel-painted houses create a European feel. The oldest Anglican Church in North America is in St. George’s and many other historic buildings, most made of stone, have been preserved. More than a dozen forts dating to the 17th century are scattered in the hills surrounding the town.

Hamilton, the major commercial hub and seat of government, is in the geographic center of the island and is close to south shore beaches. Veendam will dock at the town’s front door just steps from Front Street and its colorful array of shops and restaurants. Hamilton is home to a massive 19th-century, neo-Gothic cathedral and the Georgian-style Sessions House dating to 1815.

Sunday to Sunday Voyage. Last Voyage is Columbus Day Weekend.

I Guess this is our 2010 Fall Voyage. Although we sailed to BDA about 17x (X, RCL,NCL) This will be a real treat to sail on the Veendam.

So, when is the huge drydock/refurbishments on Veendam going to take place? Right now her last cruise is scheduled for April 8, heading from South America to Ft Lauderdale and arriving at the end of April. So, I guess more redeployments will be taking place.

So, when is the huge drydock/refurbishments on Veendam going to take place? Right now her last cruise is scheduled for April 8, heading from South America to Ft Lauderdale and arriving at the end of April. So, I guess more redeployments will be taking place.

The continuing Signature of Excellence construction is scheduled for March 29, 2009 to April 27, 2009.

Below is a copy of Holland America's Press Release:

Holland America Line Increases 2010 Bermuda Cruises to 24

Roundtrip New York Sailings Begin in April Now

seven-day roundtrips to the island, it will mark Holland America Line’s return to New York City as a home port and to Bermuda as a destina Additionally, guests of Holland America Line will have an opportunity to fully experience Bermuda’s British charm and its unique island culture by day and by night with multi-day stays in Hamilton and St. George’s. The itinerary calls for approximately two and half days in each port. The season lasts until October 10, 2010.

Will it be 7 days/8 nights? If only 6 days/7 nights, how could Veendam be in each port for approx two and a half days?

Will it be 7 days/8 nights? If only 6 days/7 nights, how could Veendam be in each port for approx two and a half days?

If it does the old Zenith/Horizon route

Sun - leave NY

Mon - at sea

Tues am - arrive Bermuda

Wed - Bermuda

Thursday - Bermuda

Friday pm (afternoon) - leave Bermuda

Saturday - at sea

Sunday am - arrive NY

I wanna go!

Sadly, April 25 is a Sunday ... meaning these cruises will cover 2 Sundays. That makes it really tough on me (Taking off 2 Sundays and only getting a 7-day cruise out of it is NOT economical for vacation time in my line of work).

:D

Still ... I want to go.

I wanna go!

Sadly, April 25 is a Sunday ... meaning these cruises will cover 2 Sundays. That makes it really tough on me (Taking off 2 Sundays and only getting a 7-day cruise out of it is NOT economical for vacation time in my line of work).

Still ... I want to go.

Gee, Rev... What is it you do, again? :rolleyes:

I agree, I don't see how you can have 2 1/2 days in each port on a 7-day cruise. That can't be right. It will probably be 4 days/3 nights, with one overnight in St George's and 2 overnights in Hamilton.

If it does the old Zenith/Horizon route

Sun - leave NY

Mon - at sea

Tues am - arrive Bermuda

Wed - Bermuda

Thursday - Bermuda

Friday pm (afternoon) - leave Bermuda

Saturday - at sea

Sunday am - arrive NY

Herb,

Actually they are going back to what the OLD Volendam did when she was cruising here in the early 1980s. Then Nordic Prince, Bermuda Star and a few others were making the two port cruise before Chandris Celebrity started with Horizon.

Stephen

Great news! This reminds me of those great Home Lines Bermuda cruises from New York, when HAL was the rival. I preferred Home Lines then, but I am excited for HAL to be running these cruises again.

Yes, those were the days!

You had a choice between OCEANIC and ROTTERDAM on the Ny/Bda/Nassau/NY cruises or between DORIC and STATENDAM or ATLANTIC/HOMERIC and VEENDAM/VOLENDAM for the 7 day Bermuda only cruises.

Good competition it was too! I cruised in Doric, Oceanic, and Atlantic long before I tried the old Veendam. Well, I was much younger and the Home Lines ships seems to be more fun. It was all about Italian style.

Good old days!

Stephen

I wanna go!

Still ... I want to go.

Could you switch to being a Seventh Day Adventist for one week? :D

I wanna go!

Still ... I want to go.

Maybe you could negotiate a sabbatical? I've been reading your posts from other cruises -- I think it would be so much fun to share one! And Bermuda is *divine*!

Archived