Sun Princess Balcony rooms

Sailaway John

Hi all out there!

Is there anyone that could give a run down on the balcony cabins on Sun Princess. My wife and I are looking at a balcony cabin for the Sun princess sailing to aAsia in June. We have sailed on the Pacific Dawn in a balcony cabin but wondering what the Sun Princess cabins were like.

Hi Sailaway John,

We loved our balcony cabin. The balcony is only 1.1m deep and it is large enough for 2 chairs and a small round table. The balcony end of the cabin is all glass with a door in the middle (a solid glass section each side). The outer edge of the balcony has a steel section each side. The open section in the middle is a big smaller for cabins on deck 9 than on the higher decks. The railing is timber with an open section below that and a solid steel piece closer to the floor.

When the bed is made up as a queen size it is 'front to back' on the ship. The bed is very comfortable.

The bathroom is tiny, but very well designed.

I am attaching a few photos.

2100303180_SunPrincessCabin1.jpg.1fba0dbdf35798a7c1baa6086006eb9e.jpg

667019502_SunPrinessCabin2.jpg.098145c951148bb22a09ed01e2d99ba5.jpg

1871804605_SunPrincessBathroom1.jpg.cd0a6e0df55809c5d4e7d2e5afbd25d2.jpg

763901057_SunPrincessBathroom2.jpg.4382357a26386eca5b1a763f9d41b2e0.jpg

1174023256_BalconyDeck9SunPrincess.JPG.178997a317744a687c3a05ddd143c7cf.JPG

They look great.

Reading about the beds reminded me of something I read a while back. Some one wrote that they really needed to know which way the beds went as if they were in the 'wrong' direction, it drove them crazy.

I wasn't sure what the wrong direction was.

What is generally the most comfortable for people-to sleep with their head facing the front of the ship or to sleep woth their head facing the back of the ship?

I am guessing some may prefer head first but I am not sure how much of a difference it makes. I suppose some beds might even be sideways.

I will find out soon anyway-I cruise away (inside cabin) in january.:D

We had a balcony on the port side. The bed was feet first to the bow so we "rode" the waves.

I think this is more comfortable than "head first" or "sideways" on.

The "rolling" can be stabilised however the "pitching" can't. Twosteps forward and onestep back creates a whole new dance and exercise pattern as we negotiate the decks.

The balcony cabins on Sun/Dawn Princess are margianally smaller than on Pacific Dawn.

One other thing that you may have noticed from the pics - SP/DP have sliding doors to the balcony, so you do not wipe out anyone on the balcony when you open the door. Also easier to leave open for some fresh air.

We had a balcony on the port side. The bed was feet first to the bow so we "rode" the waves.

I think this is more comfortable than "head first" or "sideways" on.

The "rolling" can be stabilised however the "pitching" can't. Twosteps forward and onestep back creates a whole new dance and exercise pattern as we negotiate the decks.

On our Pac Sun & Pac Dawn cruise we slept "sideways". Didn't bother me at all:)

THanks for the photos people, give a really good idea of what the cabins actually look like, we are on SUn Princess next July and are in a balcony cabin on A deck, have been on a Sun class ship before but we didn't have a balcony, all the cabins seem on the small size, our inside certainly was. Keep the pics coming

THanks for the photos people, give a really good idea of what the cabins actually look like, we are on SUn Princess next July and are in a balcony cabin on A deck, have been on a Sun class ship before but we didn't have a balcony, all the cabins seem on the small size, our inside certainly was. Keep the pics coming

Yes, apart from the minis that are the largest in the fleet, most of the other cabins are "compact". The SP balcony cabin will have the same inside space as an inside, with the balcony added.

looking at the pic's it looks like you can sit on the toilet to shave your legs in the shower LOL....tight!! better still Garry can shave my legs while he is in the shower LOL...

Joanne :-P

Hi Joanne,

You certainly would be able to sit on the toilet and shave your legs in the shower. We reckoned you could sit on the toilet and clean your teeth over the hand basin. (Maybe a very slight exaggeration there!)

The Sun Princess bathrooms are well designed and we found the shower had one advantage over those in the Pacific Sun. The shower curtain does not waft into the shower and cling to your legs while you are showering. I noticed the Sun Princess shower curtains had weights sewn into the bottom hem, so maybe that is why they hang straight down. That has set me thinking. Next time we are on the Pacific Sun I might take a few tablecloth weights (the ones designed to go on a picnic tablecloth) and see if they make the shower curtain behave itself. :):)

Evon.

Hi Sailaway John,

My favourite feature (and your wife will appreciate this too) was the dressing table and seat with the hair dryer at hand, not in the bathroom.

There was more than enough space in the closet for clothes, plus lots of drawer space. If you're used to a cushion top mattress, the SP's were a bit too firm. We used the balcony a lot when in port or taking in the night sky. You need to draw the curtains in low latitudes (like Malaysia) as the afternoon sun raises the temp inside quite a lot.

By the way, I'll be keen to follow your travels on this cruise as we are thinking seriously about it for 2010.

All the best,

Anna

We had a balcony on Dawn Princess and first reaction was that it was so small there would not be enough room for everything.......

but it was amazing.....there was plenty of room for hanging,enough room in the drawers and the cases slipped under the bed.

The compact bathroom.....as others have said.....is very well designed .

• 4 weeks later...
This was cabin R310

Sun%20Princess%20110608%20%200032.JPG

Sun%20Princess%20110608%20Bathroom%20Pano.jpg

Sun%20Princess%20240608%20PICT0016.JPG

table%3E

Hi Boeckli

Thanks for the great photos. We're VERY interested as we are booked on the Dawn Princess, R344, for the Round the World cruise 5 July 2009.

Would really appreciate your opinion on the position of your cabin on Riviera Deck. Was is noisy? Did you find it convenient to access other parts of the ship? What were the pluses and minuses for travelling on Riviera Deck?

Also, is there a laundry on Riviera Deck on the Dawn Princess? Can't see one on the deck plan. If not, where is the closest laundry?

Was internet access available from your cabin?

We noticed that the deck plans shows a Card Room on this deck. Is this correct?

Apologise that we have so many questions...it's just that you're the first post we've noticed (and we're addicted to this site) that has recent experience of cruising on the Riviera Deck of the Dawn Princess, and we're very keen to know how someone else found this experience.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Hi Boeckli

Thanks for the great photos. We're VERY interested as we are booked on the Dawn Princess, R344, for the Round the World cruise 5 July 2009.

Would really appreciate your opinion on the position of your cabin on Riviera Deck. Was is noisy? No - At times you could hear things from the buffet area above but by and large you could not call it noisy. Did you find it convenient to access other parts of the ship? Yes - short alk to the stairs/elevators and quick access to the open deck/pool area. What were the pluses and minuses for travelling on Riviera Deck? We always try and choose a cabin on higher decks and also forward, so Riviera was the obvious choice for us. For our upcoming Dawn Princess cruise we opted for a BB cabin on the Aloha deck, as we booked prior to the Sun Princess sailing and did not want to be stuck with 42 days in a possibly noisy spot (which it wasn't).

Also, is there a laundry on Riviera Deck on the Dawn Princess? Can't see one on the deck plan. If not, where is the closest laundry? I think I ironed in the laundry on Aloha deck (just back from the stairs)

Was internet access available from your cabin? Not sure

We noticed that the deck plans shows a Card Room on this deck. Is this correct? As we sailed on the Sun Princess, I can't answer your question at this time (see note below)

Apologise that we have so many questions...it's just that you're the first post we've noticed (and we're addicted to this site) that has recent experience of cruising on the Riviera Deck of the Dawn Princess we did cruise on the Sun Princess but differences should be minor (see also not below), and we're very keen to know how someone else found this experience.

Many, many thanks in advance.

Hi 2happywanderers - just saw your post and will try and answer you questions. We are also booked on the Dawn Princess on March 7 (Cherry Blossom cruise), so upon our return I will be able to answer more questions (feel free to ask anything now that I can maybe look out for at that time and answer on our return :) )

Hope the above helps.

We have booked two balcony cabins next to each other - is it possible to take down the partition and if so, does the cabin assistant do this?
Yes the cabin steward will open them for you - we didn't need a bungee cord rather a solid piece of cardboard (see post below) so ok it got the better of me so I hunted down an old post - on the SP there are fire walls periodically so some dividers can be open some not - we were in B610 and B612 and had the doors opened and left that way for the duration of our cruise but I had been nervous about this not being possible (as we used this as a proxy interconnecting doorway) - so the post I found does i

give some of the cabins with/out:

April 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM

OldGrayMare user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifPartitions between balconies

does anyone know how to tell where the fire walls are - are they the cabins near the fire doors (as seen in corridors on deck plans)??? We are going on the Sun does anyone know whether we will need the bungee cords or can they be locked open??? would really appreciate any info

I love cruising Princess for this very reason!

We were on the Sun in cabins B730,722,720,714,712 and we didn't know it at that time but there are solid partitions. There was one between 722 and 720, which is not a fire door area, also, between 714 and 712.

On the deck plans you will see doors in the hallway, that is your fire door and they have solid partitions thru out the ship.

Call Princess directly and they can tell you exactly where they are. They knew about the solid partitions between 722 and 720 but not 714 and 712. Of course, I called after our cruise, too late, but will be ready for the next one. Princess will be very hopeful for you. They actually were going to contact the ship and check our cabins for our next encounter on Princess.

Most important - YES - you will need a bungee cord. I just pick one up at the grocery store.

The OldGrayMare

Jane

• 3 weeks later...
Hi 2happywanderers - just saw your post and will try and answer you questions. We are also booked on the Dawn Princess on March 7 (Cherry Blossom cruise), so upon our return I will be able to answer more questions (feel free to ask anything now that I can maybe look out for at that time and answer on our return :) )

Hope the above helps.

Hi Boeckli

Many, many belated thanks for your reply .... it certainly has helped.

Sorry for the delay in thanking you .... I couldn't find the post! It's now on page 5 of CC so it gets a bit lost. I've put it in Favourites now so I should be able to find in more easily in the future.

Will be very interested to read your impressions of your Cherry Blossom cruise on your return ....love the itinerary.

Have a wonderful time, blue skies and calm seas.

2happywanderers :):)

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

Does anybody have photos of a 3 berth balcony cabin on the Sun Princess?

Cheers,

Michele:)

Hi Michele,

I saw your post and didn't know if you had seen a photo of a 3 berth cabin - I found a photo of a 3 berth cabin on the Dawn and the Sun is identical, so thought it might help!

Cheers!

Marion

dawn_princess_cabin_night.jpg.98629a00c22c211c3118a7f7590683fb.jpg

Hi all,

Firstly what is the purpose of the bungee cord, can someone explain this please. I would have thought when the dividing section between two balconies is removed they go store it somewhere? Is that what the cord is for?

Secondly, where is the power point located in a BB grade balcony cabin? Is it up near the glass doors - close to the hair dryer / dressing table?

thanks!

:)Hi Boeckli

Loved your photos of the Sun, would love to see your photos of the Dawn Princess and hear about your cruise on the Dawn (Cherry Blossom), we are booked in May Fijian Jewels C502.

Regards

Lee

Archived