Looking for NEWS on VOYAGER-Galveston!!!

TEXASMUNK

Hi, Just wondering from anyone who just returned from Voyager. If you sailed her earlier this year or last year, have the menus in the dining room changed? Also curious where the Voyager docked in Cozumel?

Thanks for any info on anything new. Did they still have the chilli cook off by pool?

Just returned on Sunday and we also sailed last February. The menus seemed much the same to me, I don't recall any major changes. We docked at International Pier in Cozumel.

For those wondering about the late departure this past Sunday, I really don't know if this is related and I've been meaning to check the boards to see if there are any details about this posted... It would appear there may have been some type of accident or incident on board early Sunday prior to our debarkation (we were in the 9:15 group). We saw several ambulances on the pier from our balcony as we were waiting for our call; by the time we made it to the gangway there was one left and a person was being loaded. Shortly after a group of 4 - 5 "official" looking types went aboard where they had brought the person out. That all being said, it's possible that IF there was an accident (and I am only speculating based on what I saw) I imagine that would warrant an investigation prior to departure. It was about 10:30 - 10:45 when they went aboard.

As to the ship condition, service and such, we had an awesome cruise, the ship was beautiful as it was back in February and although there may be some very minor wear in some of the carpets I didn't notice anything that was in disrepair or dirty or any of the other things I've been seeing on the boards. The food was very good in all venues, personally I love the buffet especially for breakfast and love the omelets. They changed the cheese they use on them, they used to use the white grated stuff that in my opinion didn't have much flavor. They are now using a sliced yellow (american?) that is yummy!!

We went into this cruise with low expectations in that we anticipated a hairy embarkation, which is was (and there was a motocycle rally going on in Galveston that caused traffic getting in and back to the parking lot a ZOO). We expected possible lower levels of service due to changes in staff but didn't experience that in any way, all of the service personnel were wonderful. Our waitress in the main dining room was nothing to write home about, she did her job, we got our food as ordered, but she just didn't have that typical wonderful personality as all our others have, the assistant waitress (who started at our table 2 days into the cruise as the first guy got intoxicated in Cozumel and kicked off! :eek:) was super friendly and very good at her job. I don't often hug or get over friendly with my wait staff but she grabbed me and hugged me before we left the last night, she was just a sweet girl. It is unfortunate I don't remember her name (I'm terrible with names). Our room steward was very good, had our robes and coupon books in our room upon arrival, changed out all the yucky soda for Coke Light (Diet Coke!) in our fridge as requested and just did a great job sneaking in and out to keep the room tidy when we were out.

Loved Portofino's as usual (they did have the mystery dinner, we didn't attend as we've done it before), as well as Johnny Rockets (had an awesome waiter there the first sea day, again, can't remember his name :(). We had Johnny Rockets 3 times, the second time they had run out of all cheeses except cheddar and they only had chocolate malts, may have had something to do with just coming in from Europe, not prepared for all us burger eating Texans! Word was 75% of the ship were Texans, yeee hahh!!

We attended the holiday ice show, it was very good, a combination of the ice skaters and singers and dancers (singers/dancers were on the stage, not the ice).

Didn't attend any evening shows except the piano player, he was good, very high energy.

Missed the parade (which was the last night which seemed wierd), saw some karaoke but the nights I attended there was a lady running the show.

Can't think of anything else but if anyone has particular questions let me know.

Those things didn't stop us from having a wonderful vacation. We did enjoy seeing Derek. He usually does Kamikaze Karaoke which is fun and he had regulars that knew what to do and say. I know someone complained that he should have been at the Schooner bar because it's bigger and they might have a point but the P&W was fun anyway and he did attract people passing by. We also loved our cruise director, Eric (can't remember his last name but will look it up for my recap). He didn't even seem to mind the goofy elf costume for one of their taped pieces. The activities director, Tracy, was also good and they had a funny rapport.

glad to hear Derek was good. Have you seen him before on the Rhapsody?

Hi, Thanks for the info. How was the pool area? Was it crowded and did they have buffets and events by the pool? Last time the had a bbq by the pool and chilli cook off that offered some nice alternatives to the lunch buffet. Also, what did you think of the murder mystery dinner last time, did you think it was worth it? Any info on the meet n mingle or the past passenger luncheon? Also any info on your day in Costa Maya or Roatan would be great. Thanks : )

Hi, Thanks for the info. How was the pool area? Was it crowded and did they have buffets and events by the pool? Last time the had a bbq by the pool and chilli cook off that offered some nice alternatives to the lunch buffet. Also, what did you think of the murder mystery dinner last time, did you think it was worth it? Any info on the meet n mingle or the past passenger luncheon? Also any info on your day in Costa Maya or Roatan would be great. Thanks : )

Pools were not overly crowded, we don't hang by the pool a whole lot but when we did go on sea days there were always loungers available (maybe not right by the pool but still on deck 11 in the pool area). They did have a buffet lunch one day, it was the same day as the chili cookoff and they had a late night pool buffet (we missed that, too old to stay up that late!).

We really enjoyed the murder mystery dinner, it was interactive and we had a lot of fun.

We don't attend the meet and mingle, we attended the diamond/platinum lunch on Saturday, it was very good, same menu (fillet or fish). My only disappointment with that was we didn't get the big slice of flourless chocolate cake like last time, pout! It was on the menu and I was all excited but then when it came time they brought some icecream/berry thing and said because chocolate cake was being served at dinner they decided to change it up. So then I was excited to have it for dinner but it ended up being some other type of chocolate cake, pout again!

Costa Maya we did the mini rhino tour, hubby had an awesome time driving they did a LOT of off road stuff in mud and narrow trails, a real "guys" type of excursion. I enjoyed riding along and then driving back to the pier from town. We spent about 45 minutes at a beautiful private beach area as part of the tour and I enjoyed that a lot.

This was our first visit to Roatan, it is a beautiful island. We did a private horse back riding trip there that was awesome, only 35.00 for the riding and for additional 20.00 we were picked up from the pier got to spend the remainder of our time at a beach before being returned to the trip. I don't know if I'm allowed to give out private company names here but you could do a search on horse back riding in Roatan and look for the word Dorcas in the name. Small family operation with well cared for horses and good tack. If you don't ride or want a very quiet ride ask for Trigger, the pokeyist horse in the world! All the horses were very well behaved though.

The speculations about the late departures have made for some interesting reading :) All I can tell you is that the reason for the late departures is less -exotic- than late flights or accident investigations.

Good to know! I do hope that those that were removed by ambulance are ok, regardless of the cause!

Pools were not overly crowded, we don't hang by the pool a whole lot but when we did go on sea days there were always loungers available (maybe not right by the pool but still on deck 11 in the pool area). They did have a buffet lunch one day, it was the same day as the chili cookoff and they had a late night pool buffet (we missed that, too old to stay up that late!).

We don't attend the meet and mingle, we attended the diamond/platinum lunch on Saturday, it was very good, same menu (fillet or fish). My only disappointment with that was we didn't get the big slice of flourless chocolate cake like last time, pout! It was on the menu and I was all excited but then when it came time they brought some icecream/berry thing and said because chocolate cake was being served at dinner they decided to change it up. So then I was excited to have it for dinner but it ended up being some other type of chocolate cake, pout again!

I don't know if I'm allowed to give out private company names here but you could do a search on horse back riding in Roatan and look for the word Dorcas in the name. Small family operation with well cared for horses and good tack. If you don't ride or want a very quiet ride ask for Trigger, the pokeyist horse in the world! All the horses were very well behaved though.

a chili cook off? wow I have not been on Voyager out of Galveston, was on her bringing her TO Galveston last year. Who is in the cook-off?

have never been on a cruise that did anything but the normal appetizers & punch (except the one did have alcohol drinks). does VOS always have the lunch? will be on her in March, looking forward to something different.

you can post a private company name, just not the name of a travel agent. I have gotten the name of several wonderful companies on CC & the excursions have been fantastic.

a chili cook off? wow I have not been on Voyager out of Galveston, was on her bringing her TO Galveston last year. Who is in the cook-off?

have never been on a cruise that did anything but the normal appetizers & punch (except the one did have alcohol drinks). does VOS always have the lunch? will be on her in March, looking forward to something different.

you can post a private company name, just not the name of a travel agent. I have gotten the name of several wonderful companies on CC & the excursions have been fantastic.

Ok, I swear they advertised it as a cookoff but really it was just a couple of guys cooking chili up on deck so I may have misread the description or they may call it that. It's not passenger participation or anything (I don't believe).

They do have a drink/punch reception in the evening for all past guests, then they have the diamond/platinum members lunch. I have only been platinum on the last two cruises and both were on Voyager and both offered that very nice lunch. Not sure if they do it on all ships and all sailings (like maybe not on shorter cruises or something, others may be able to jump in on that).

Thanks for the info on that, the name was El Rancho Barrio Dorcas, they have a cruise special for 20.00 extra you get transfer from/to the ship, and time at Foster's beach after the ride. They were very prompt on picking us up for the return to the ship at the time we requested.

Is it true, VOS NYE 12/28 has such an early 1st seating time? Yick, bring back 6 pm. Is this true! Help!

You could try switching to late seating, seemed there were a lot of empty seats in the dining room at late seating. Of course 8:00 is pretty late to eat, we were so tired by the time dinner was over we didn't feel like doing much afterwards.

Hi, When I was on Voyager in Feb of this year, they had the cookoff by the pool and I believe it was on one of the days at sea around lunch time. We walked over after it had already started....drawn in by the smell of all the cooking. There were passengers stationed by each of 3 large vats of chili and each had a different recipe and with the help of one of the RCI staff they made each made a different recipe. Then when it was all over I believe they judged it somehow and then they had everyone form a line and you could try all or any for lunch.... it was a fun idea and something different which is why I was wondering if they still were doing it.

Why do they have a 5:30pm first dinner seating instead of 6pm? Seems too early! Do they offer anytime dining??

It was too early. I was tempted to change it after the first night like 2 of our tablemates but our boys decided they liked having the rest of the evening for their activities. It was especially hard to get to on the first night after a late Muster drill and after being on the islands.

I don't think there was ever much trouble finding deck chairs although I usually stayed in the Solarium away from the music because I was reading. We forgot all about the chili cook-off and the BBQ. I guess I should have used the highlighter I brought, lol. We did watch the parade but doubt any of our photos turned out since they moved so fast.

Ok, I swear they advertised it as a cookoff but really it was just a couple of guys cooking chili up on deck so I may have misread the description or they may call it that. It's not passenger participation or anything (I don't believe)..

On my cruise, late last March it was pax participation and they gave the winners a prize. Since they helped the pax and provided all the ingrediants, it was a little hokey, but still fun. We just happened to be on the pool deck during the chilli cookoff, but only had the nachoes which we liked as lunch. The line for chilli was long and we just didnt want to bother.

We are booked on the Voyager for the March 1st sailing.

I have late seating, and I like the idea of the 8:00 seating time instead of the 8:30.

This will be my first cruise (out of 5) where we did not sail out in the summer.

In March, I realize it may still be pretty chilly outside. Are there fewer people on the pool or sun decks for the sail away during the cooler months? Do more people just go to their balconies?

I have late seating, and I like the idea of the 8:00 seating time instead of the 8:30.

This will be my first cruise (out of 5) where we did not sail out in the summer.

In March, I realize it may still be pretty chilly outside. Are there fewer people on the pool or sun decks for the sail away during the cooler months? Do more people just go to their balconies?

Think March may be a nice time to sail...not Summer Hot, and no hurricanes to worry about. Warm enough to enjoy the outdoors and pools.

Note to all...I did hear back from the CL tonight...he is alive and well. In fact he is working out our Portifino rez so that makes us very happy.

Always fun to email folks at sea.

Please give our best to Martin in the CL. :)

We did Voyager last January. It was 40-50 in Galveston and cool the first day at sea. By the second day it was up to 75-80 and the pool area was full. We did the Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel itinerary and found the weather great, even for snorkeling. We did virtually the same itinerary on Mariner in May and by that time it was uncomfortably hot, especially in Labadee. I would have no worries about going in March.

Hi, When I was on Voyager in Feb of this year, they had the cookoff by the pool and I believe it was on one of the days at sea around lunch time. We walked over after it had already started....drawn in by the smell of all the cooking. There were passengers stationed by each of 3 large vats of chili and each had a different recipe and with the help of one of the RCI staff they made each made a different recipe. Then when it was all over I believe they judged it somehow and then they had everyone form a line and you could try all or any for lunch.... it was a fun idea and something different which is why I was wondering if they still were doing it.

WOW, great idea. I will definately watch out for it.

Note to all...I did hear back from the CL tonight...he is alive and well. In fact he is working out our Portifino rez so that makes us very happy.

Always fun to email folks at sea.

that's great news. Yep it was interesting communicating with the Jewel CL before our TA--she was in Europe & I was in TExas!!!!

Merry Christmas all

that's great news. Yep it was interesting communicating with the Jewel CL before our TA--she was in Europe & I was in TExas!!!!

Merry Christmas all

The hotel director and DW traded emails a few times last March working on some of the Horns delivery items.

Hoping it is the same Hotel Director we will have...

Archived