Carnival miracle bait and switch

firemankerry

I agree!! :DI just said that...!:)

Please re-read my post if you didn't understand .. Holy Smokes!:o Here we go again..:rolleyes:

Note my quote... "everything you hear"... I KNOW what CCL said!!

I know exactly who one of the "know it alls" you were talking about. And this "know it all" constantly throws out the contract/rules/regulations at a puking speed;)

The poster who thought he got a fuel credit(and started a thread on the topic) when he apparently got a Mexican tax credit really stirred up the pot. Some were off to the races when he said he got a partial fuel credit.

The poster who thought he got a fuel credit(and started a thread on the topic) when he apparently got a Mexican tax credit really stirred up the pot. Some were off to the races when he said he got a partial fuel credit.

There were others who said their TA called them before their cruise last week and told them they would get a partial credit......;)

I was one that received a credit last week and have no idea what it was for.........if it was a port tax refund I will never know

Shame on corporate carnival

For what? Representing their client. It is not corporate counsel's job to protect the passenger, there job is to represent their client CCL. I say corporate counsel did a great job on this one.

I havent read all the posts here, but this sounds to me like what started folks thinking they might get a partial fuel surcharge OBC on their cruise. Some did get a OBC and Carnival never said what it was for. They came back reporting a OBC appearing, so others expected it.

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. There was an itinerary change sent to some passengers late friday dec 12. Most passengers arriving at the dock were handed copies of the itinerary change while boarding. Cancellation was possible, but we had non-refundable airfare and hotels stays worth about $1,000.00. The official reason for the changes was that the ship would not travel at cruising speed even though on the return we were making 21 knots. The only compensation offered by carnival was a $50.00 room credit that most persons i spoke to thought was insulting. In addition, we were not refunded a fuel surcharge even though the distance sailed was cut in half. The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival

Those who cruise frequently know that ships itineraries can and do change regularly....for many reasons. They know that the passenger contract, terms and conditions very carefully lay this all out in plain English and when the reservation is made and deposited, they have agreed to the contract. It's not bait and switch......

There are valid reasons why changes are made. They don't do it just to tick off a shipload of passengers and make life miserable.

You had the option of cancelling - or using Carnival's Vacation Guarantee.... You opted to continue with the cruise.

So many don't bother to "know before you go" by reading the information contained on Carnival's website.....they'd rather complain after the fact. Here, from the website----smack on the front page under "Port Cancellation Policy":

Port Cancellation Policy

If Carnival Cruise Lines ("Carnival") has adequate notice prior to sailing that a vessel will deviate from the published itinerary, it will promptly -- upon making the itinerary change -- notify guests of the change through their travel agents or directly, in the case of a direct booking ("the Notice"). The Notice shall offer guests an opportunity to cancel their booking without penalty within 24 hours of the delivery of the Notice. Carnival shall not be liable to guests for any charges, fees or expenses paid or owed to third parties (such as air travel booked by a guest directly with an airline) in connection with a cancelled booking or substituted port. In the event a guest does not cancel his or her cruise on a timely basis, no additional compensation for the itinerary change will be offered to the guest at a later time.

In the event the itinerary change becomes necessary while the ship is at sea or when notice prior to sailing is not feasible, Carnival shall attempt to substitute an alternative port. Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the itinerary change to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. No compensation shall be provided to guests when an alternative port is offered.

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account.

Nothing herein shall affect the guest's ability to exercise the Vacation Guarantee on sailings where it applies.

See? Knowledge is power......read before you send your deposit......

If I had booked a Panama cruise, I know Id be dissapointed to do yet another W. Caribbean that I could have done from Galveston and not flown to Florida.

Disappointed? Sure, we all experience it to one degree or another. However, that's the way it goes sometimes. To accuse Carnival of "bait and switch" and demand more compensation is silly.

It's the sure sign of someone who just plops down the money without reading a darned thing about the cruise experience; what to expect, etc.

Perhaps next time OP will read or actually participate prior to cruising in Cruise Critic so he will be a little more informed.

The issue was that someone sailing prior to the refund, would receive a 'partial', altho' that hasn't happened..!:)

From most "know it all's" on the boards, anyone sailing during the date of the rebate would receive a 'partial' OBC... Didn't happen!:(

Thus, remember, everything you 'hear' on these boards may, or may not, be true...

Those sailing AFTER December 17 should receive their full refund..:p PLEASE, no 'flogging' if it doesn't happen!:rolleyes:

Well, I cruised on 12/14, received an email prior saying I would be credited for 17th and remaining days....and I was. It was in the form of OBC on my onboard account.

Carnival never said they would give partial OBCs. What you read were people on this board HOPING they would receive a partial, THINKING they are entitled. No, they are not entitled. When they purchased their cruise, they bought it knowing that they would be paying extra per day for fuel.

Well, I received an email the Tuesday before I sailed on the 14th saying my onboard account would be credited from the 17th to the end of the cruise and I was..........

For those of you who are complaining about going to Roatan, just don't complain. If you like to swim, snorkel, or scuba, you will LOVE IT. It is the best of both that I have ever done outside of Tahiti -and you can do it from the beach.

And if water sports aren't your thing, but beaching is, this is a great beach, doesn't cost you anything for a chair/lounge/or ??.

And besides, you are on a cruise, so lighten up and just enjoy. Remember you don't have to cook, clean, grocery shop, yada yada, and best of all, you are not at WORK!

Well' date=' I received an email the Tuesday before I sailed on the 14th saying my onboard account would be credited from the 17th to the end of the cruise and I was..........[/quote']

yay - lucky for you G'ma. :D But if you hadn't been told by Carnival (or your TA) that you would get that credit, would you be whining and complaining? No. You knew when you booked that you were paying extra per day for fuel.

Just because Carnival extended a credit to you (and assumably all others on your ship) doesn't mean that they extended any credit to others sailing before the magic 17th!

yay - lucky for you G'ma. :D But if you hadn't been told by Carnival (or your TA) that you would get that credit, would you be whining and complaining? No. You knew when you booked that you were paying extra per day for fuel.

Just because Carnival extended a credit to you (and assumably all others on your ship) doesn't mean that they extended any credit to others sailing before the magic 17th!

That's true. I had posted on an earlier thread discussing all this and mentioned that I'd received an email 4/5 days prior to this cruise and another later in the week for my Jan. 3 cruise.

Can't speak for others. Just sharing information.:o

One of the threads that this was discussed was http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=888333

We are well beyond our initial disappointment of the itinerary change and are again very excited about our 16 Jan Miracle cruise. The "rumor" about the stabilizers was a bit concerning.

The one thing I do wonder, but only out of curiosity, is that the Miracle started having the azipod propulsion problem when sailing out of New York. Then when it started to sail out of Fort Lauderdale there was no stated propulsion problem and no itinerary changes. Then, starting on 15 December there was once again a propulsion problem. I'm just a little curious. I do not have the requisite technical knowledge to understand whether or not this is a problem that comes and goes or what causes the problem.

Anyway we are looking forward to the three sea days and excursions in four ports. Plus we were able to upgrade to a 9A and a Cat 11 wrap around, so we are very excited.

To the OP, if I had found out while getting on the ship, I would have been, well let's say less than happy as well. Having full knowledge of the contract does not automatically prevent disappointment or disqualify someone from being disappointed. However, I would hope I would get past the disappointment, life happens, and enjoy the hell out of the cruise. JMHO

To the OP, if I had found out while getting on the ship, I would have been, well let's say less than happy as well. Having full knowledge of the contract does not automatically prevent disappointment or disqualify someone from being disappointed. However, I would hope I would get past the disappointment, life happens, and enjoy the hell out of the cruise. JMHO

The difference between you and the OP is that you would have been disappointed and probably said so, quite justified. I think most folks would be disappointed if their itinerary was changed last minute. However you would not have claimed "bait and switch." :eek:

The difference between you and the OP is that you would have been disappointed and probably said so, quite justified. I think most folks would be disappointed if their itinerary was changed last minute. However you would not have claimed "bait and switch." :eek:

Very true. It would be a stretch for me to think that the folks in Carnival management are sitting around thinking of ways to "disappoint" their customers.

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. There was an itinerary change sent to some passengers late friday dec 12. Most passengers arriving at the dock were handed copies of the itinerary change while boarding. Cancellation was possible, but we had non-refundable airfare and hotels stays worth about $1,000.00. The official reason for the changes was that the ship would not travel at cruising speed even though on the return we were making 21 knots. The only compensation offered by carnival was a $50.00 room credit that most persons i spoke to thought was insulting. In addition, we were not refunded a fuel surcharge even though the distance sailed was cut in half. The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival

Yeah, Carnival did it on purpose, shame on them.

It rained on my cruise, blame Carnival

There were morons on my cruise, blame Carnival

There were internal engine issues and Carnival took action to protect it's capital asset with zero regard to passenger itinerary preference, blame Carnival

There were internal engine issues and Carnival took action to protect it's capital asset with zero regard to passenger itinerary preference, blame Carnival

Obama got elected, blame Carnival.

When does it end?

The Carnival Miracle has had propulsion problems since August!!!!!

I agree with the OP, he/she has the right to be extremely disappointed.

Carnival KNEW about the issues that were present with the Miracle.

They CHOSE not to tell anyone about it until the "last minute".

They should not sell a cruise that they know they can't deliver on.

Write a letter to Carnival. Downplay the change of itinerary as much as possible, and highlight the poor communication that should have been possible.

Good Luck!

What were the new ports? Less or More? More sea days or less?

The number of days was the same - 8 to be exact. The new ports were Cozumel and Costa Maya (Mexico) and Roatan (Honduras).

The service on the cruise was excellent, as was to be expected. Most passengers booked the cruise because of the destination, and they were disappointed, although understanding.

What did seem to bother a lot of passengers is that the cruise fares for the Panama cruise were higher than the fares that Carnival charges for the cruises they offer that go to the destinations we actually ended up visiting. By that, I mean if we had booked a cruise to Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya, it wouldn't have cost us a much as we ended up paying.

Sort of like buying a Cadillac and being given a Hynundai, with a $50 credit.

Propulsion issue. One of the engines can only run at half speed or something like that. It's going into drydock for two weeks right after our sailing to fix the issue.

So it can't go fast enough to go as far south as Panama and get back in time, or so they say...

When we were at sea, and we looked off the stern of the ship, we could see that there was much more churn on the Miracle's starboard side than on the port side. For most of the cruise we were only travelling at around 12-15 knots. On the last day, we did get up to 21 knots as they needed to get the ship back to Port Everglades as fast as possible due to a medical emergency.

I understand why the poster would be disappointed...I would be too. But to blame Carnival for trying to "trick" them...that is ridiculous. If you check out cruising and get a few under your belt, you will realize that things happen. I have had ports changed, canceled, shortened and added. We have had delays leaving and arriving. That is just life. It is disappointing, but you are at the mercy of weather, other countries problems, and mechanical issues. They do the best to accomodate you and give you a great vacation. This always reminds me of people who get pissed off missing a port because of a hurricane or medical emergency. Do you call "bait and switch" for that? Anyway, enough of a rant. Look at your contract.

I agree with the OP, he/she has the right to be extremely disappointed.

Carnival KNEW about the issues that were present with the Miracle.

They CHOSE not to tell anyone about it until the "last minute".

The number of days was the same - 8 to be exact. The new ports were Cozumel and Costa Maya (Mexico) and Roatan (Honduras).

What did seem to bother a lot of passengers is that the cruise fares for the Panama cruise were higher than the fares that Carnival charges for the cruises they offer that go to the destinations we actually ended up visiting. By that, I mean if we had booked a cruise to Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya, it wouldn't have cost us a much as we ended up paying.

Sort of like buying a Cadillac and being given a Hynundai, with a $50 credit.

Some posters are simply not able to comprehend these concepts.

Having had the same type of experience on Carnival in Alaska (a more costly cruise than most) I refuse to book Carnival for anything more than the bargain cruises that they are. Then, if they pull a sneaky like they did on us in Alaska, we haven't lost much money to begin with.

Cheers, and better luck next time! We got our Alaska cruise right the second time... and the third time... with a fourth coming up soon!

As for those downing the OP, the OP's complaint may be another person's valuable lesson when they do their own research prior to cruising. :) My experience has definitely influenced friends/family when it comes to picking itineraries and ships for Alaska.

Archived