Carnival miracle bait and switch

firemankerry

When we were at sea, and we looked off the stern of the ship, we could see that there was much more churn on the Miracle's starboard side than on the port side. For most of the cruise we were only travelling at around 12-15 knots. On the last day, we did get up to 21 knots as they needed to get the ship back to Port Everglades as fast as possible due to a medical emergency.

I'm sure the 21 knots put a strain on the already messed up propulsion system. Propulsion problems does not mean no propulsion. I'm amazed at how many people think that when something happens to their vacation that a company is trying to screw them instead of that there is a legitimate problem. Drydock isn't cheap and cancelling cruises to do an emergency one in a couple of months is costing Carnival a lot more money than doing the itinerary the OP wanted. Let's be logical here.

The Carnival Miracle has had propulsion problems since August!!!!!

I agree with the OP, he/she has the right to be extremely disappointed.

Carnival KNEW about the issues that were present with the Miracle.

They CHOSE not to tell anyone about it until the "last minute".

They should not sell a cruise that they know they can't deliver on.

Write a letter to Carnival. Downplay the change of itinerary as much as possible, and highlight the poor communication that should have been possible.

Good Luck!

After 62 cruises on Carnival, I can say with authority, that Carnival is always looking for ways to anger their passengers. Their decision makers have several meetings a month trying to come up with new ways to make their cruises as annoying and disappointing as possible.

So many ways to do it - so few ships.

That's why they will never be the largest and most successful company in the cruising world....they just don't give a darn about their passengers and their comforts.

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. ........The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival

to be blunt,

QUIT WHINING this stuff has been hashed out here before and guess what, WE CAN"T DO ANYTHING FOR YOU. And noone else will as Carnival did what was their policy and within their contractual requirements to you. Learn to enjoy the cruise and not the ports.

I'm sure the 21 knots put a strain on the already messed up propulsion system. Propulsion problems does not mean no propulsion. I'm amazed at how many people think that when something happens to their vacation that a company is trying to screw them instead of that there is a legitimate problem. Drydock isn't cheap and cancelling cruises to do an emergency one in a couple of months is costing Carnival a lot more money than doing the itinerary the OP wanted. Let's be logical here.

Sooo should that be the customers problem:confused: It amazes me how some people think that when mechanical problems happens to a Carnival ship that the customer should have to pay the price:rolleyes:

Is that logical?

I did not say it's the cruiser's problem, but Carnival does spell out itinerary changes VERY CLEARLY in the contract. The one's surprised are those that don't read it. What's logical is that not EVERYTHING is someone's fault. We are so used to suing/whining/complaining til we get something for things that are totally out of someone's control that some think they DESERVE something in return. This victim mentality about EVERYTHING drives me crazy. Did the OP ever say who he booked through? If it was a TA, then he needs to go back to them and ask why they didn't tell him. It seems everyone that booked directly through Carnival knew ahead of time.

Sooo should that be the customers problem:confused: It amazes me how some people think that when mechanical problems happens to a Carnival ship that the customer should have to pay the price:rolleyes:

Is that logical?

No kidding! I can't believe the flaming. While I wouldn't call this situation "bait & switch", the itinerary change was extreme and evidently Carnival handled it poorly enough to upset at least some pax. There's a big difference between a last-minute itinerary change due to weather and one due to a long-term mechanical issue. I don't blame the OP for being disappointed; they should have been notified well in advance. And to blast the OP for not scrutinizing their cruise contract and sucking it up, or for not living here on CC and knowing as much as some posters evidently do :rolleyes: is not exactly in the spirit of the season, is it??

Im always amazed because I think everyone is nice until I come to Cruise Critic. It's like few (there are some exceptions) here can stand to show a little sympathy. It is true that Carnival has the right to change ports, but can you really not understand why the OP would be upset.

Im sorry but I disagree. I would have been upset had I flown to Florida and paid for airfare and hotel and then done yet another Western Caribbean when I looked forward to Panama. Panama is on my wish list and to me would be a special cruise, otherwise I would just go out of Galveston.

Carnival KNEW about the issues that were present with the Miracle.

They CHOSE not to tell anyone about it until the "last minute".

Oh please. Here is the communication Carnival sent out 12/12/08 for this 12/15/08 cruise: https://www.bookccl.com/irman/replacement_cruises/deployments/mi121508gst.pdf

If you booked with them it went to you, if you booked with a TA it went there.

I get disappointed too when a scheduled port is cancelled. THe OP is entitled to be disappointed. But "last minute" ? Three days is not "last minute"

Im always amazed because I think everyone is nice until I come to Cruise Critic. It's like few (there are some exceptions) here can stand to show a little sympathy. It is true that Carnival has the right to change ports, but can you really not understand why the OP would be upset.

Im sorry but I disagree. I would have been upset had I flown to Florida and paid for airfare and hotel and then done yet another Western Caribbean when I looked forward to Panama. Panama is on my wish list and to me would be a special cruise, otherwise I would just go out of Galveston.

Yes there are certainly a few scrooges on board here at CC. But you're not one........Merry Christmas Firefly333 :)

Oh please. Here is the communication Carnival sent out 12/12/08 for this 12/15/08 cruise: https://www.bookccl.com/irman/replacement_cruises/deployments/mi121508gst.pdf

I get disappointed too when a scheduled port is cancelled. THe OP is entitled to be disappointed. But "last minute" ? Three days is not "last minute"

LOL! That certainly is enough time to change all your plans:D:rolleyes:

Yes there are certainly a few scrooges on board here at CC. But you're not one........Merry Christmas Firefly333 :)

Merry Christmas back at you. Glad you are not among those getting up on their high horses and quoting rules at the OP. Changing a panama canal cruise to Western Caribbean, hello folks, this is more than just changing or missing a port. OP said he had already paid $1000 for the flight and hotel so he couldnt cancel last minute.

I hope everyone has a Happy Holidays and if they are expecting something from Santa, they all get their wish. Sounds like everyone is cranky and needs a cruise. Be of good cheer, its Christmas Eve. Have a great Holiday Mike.

I did not say it's the cruiser's problem, but Carnival does spell out itinerary changes VERY CLEARLY in the contract. The one's surprised are those that don't read it. What's logical is that not EVERYTHING is someone's fault. We are so used to suing/whining/complaining til we get something for things that are totally out of someone's control that some think they DESERVE something in return.

I'm used to getting what I pay for........is something wrong with that:confused:

That is what I would deserve.....nothing more and nothing less.....

The Panama cruise is priced higher then the Western itinerary.......

We were on the Dec 15th cruise that was to sail to Panama. Because of Cruise Critic, we were well informed that the itinerary was changing and what to expect. I am like many on this board, a cruise is a cruise. It would have been nice to go to the places that we had initially chosen. But who am I to complain about going to beautiful tropical islands???!!! However, we want to plan the Panama, Belize, Costa Rican itinerary for next year (our annual family cruise). While on board we heard from several cruise staff that Carnival was NEVER returning to Panama. The rumors included: Safety issues and Carnival parting ways with Panamanian authorities. Does anyone know if this is true. We have found that the best way to grieve the end of our cruise is to PLAN ANOTHER CRUISE.

Thanks!!!!

1) The cruise line has the legal right to change itineraries - there isn't any debate about it. It is in the legal fine print.

2) The Panama Canal / Southern Caribbean itineraries have a premium price (over and above the cost of the extra day of an 8 day v. 7 day cruise). This premium was several hundred dollars per person over a standard Eastern / Western trip on newer vessels. For a party of nine, which we are, this amounts to several thousand dollars.

I was formally notified on Monday by Carnival of the substitution of Tortola for St. Lucia on our January 8th cruise (16 days out). It was done by an automated telephone call. In that call it was never mentioned that we have other options such as being able to receive a full refund if so desired, change ships w/o paying a premium price, etc. The only thing the call said was that each cabin would receive a $50 OBC. The timing of the call (very close to our departure date), the way that the wording of the call was formulated (stating that the issue is only only a small propulsion problem) and carried out by Carnival (automated v. having a live person making the call) was CLEARLY a calculated decision to ensure a minimum # of cancellations which would have affected their bottom line.

One of the primary reasons I selected the Southern itinerary was to go to St. Lucia - a port not on the usual 7 day cruise itineraries out of Florida where we live. I paid a premium price for this cruise (far more than the $50 per cabin OBC) and although I realize that the propulsion issue is beyond Carnival's control I can say that I am NOT happy with the way that the situation was handled. Carnival knew this issue a long time ago and could have contacted their customers sooner and given them more options to switch onto different ships. etc. I actually called Carnival on Monday to find out what other options we have at this time. It would cost us (party of nine) a LARGE amount of money to switch onto the Glory, Liberty, etc. even though we paid a premium several months ago for the Southern trip.

So regardless of the legalize of the contract where Carnival is correct, I am not happy at the moment.

:mad:

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. There was an itinerary change sent to some passengers late friday dec 12. Most passengers arriving at the dock were handed copies of the itinerary change while boarding. Cancellation was possible, but we had non-refundable airfare and hotels stays worth about $1,000.00. The official reason for the changes was that the ship would not travel at cruising speed even though on the return we were making 21 knots. The only compensation offered by carnival was a $50.00 room credit that most persons i spoke to thought was insulting. In addition, we were not refunded a fuel surcharge even though the distance sailed was cut in half. The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival
Firemankerry is right except while in Belize the caper said we were leave St. Kitts at 5pm.Then Sunday night the cruise director who isw the worst I ever had seen said the show for the night was Sammy davis/Frank Sinatra which we had seen 2 days before and it was the Beetles show. Monday afternoon a Miracle happened. After a passenger became sick and needed attention the Starboard Enging came alive and worked normal. Several of the passenger I talked to wanted to file class action suits againest Carnival. This was our 13th and no doubt last trip with Carnival.We were lied to from the getgo. I never saw so meny upset people. One couple were going to get married in Panama. All the guests met in panama. The future bride and groom ended up in Mexico with 25.00ea.and a cruise line that could care less. I am going NCL from now on. Thank you

The number of days was the same - 8 to be exact. The new ports were Cozumel and Costa Maya (Mexico) and Roatan (Honduras).

The service on the cruise was excellent, as was to be expected. Most passengers booked the cruise because of the destination, and they were disappointed, although understanding.

What did seem to bother a lot of passengers is that the cruise fares for the Panama cruise were higher than the fares that Carnival charges for the cruises they offer that go to the destinations we actually ended up visiting. By that, I mean if we had booked a cruise to Cozumel, Belize, and Costa Maya, it wouldn't have cost us a much as we ended up paying.

Sort of like buying a Cadillac and being given a Hynundai, with a $50 credit.

What fare structure does Carnival use for the Miracle to go to the ports that you went to? That is the fare structure to compare against not what some other ship does. Ships often run the same itineraries with different price structures.

Forget the fuel surcharge it applied to all cruises that began before December 17th. Carnival had no obligation to take it off even if fuel prices are down.

Carnival miracle sailed on december 15. The original ports of call were panama, costa rica and belize. There was an itinerary change sent to some passengers late friday dec 12. Most passengers arriving at the dock were handed copies of the itinerary change while boarding. Cancellation was possible, but we had non-refundable airfare and hotels stays worth about $1,000.00. The official reason for the changes was that the ship would not travel at cruising speed even though on the return we were making 21 knots. The only compensation offered by carnival was a $50.00 room credit that most persons i spoke to thought was insulting. In addition, we were not refunded a fuel surcharge even though the distance sailed was cut in half. The ship is pristine and the crew was wonderful except for the captain who should have spoken to us about the reasons and maybe offered an apology. Shame on corporate carnival

Yes have heard about the propulsion problems on the Miracle.

But Carnival should have notified everyone prior to sailing---not when you were boarding.

I, too, would have been disappointed.

I would rite a letter to the CEO

I think the point of the original post is that Carnival knew of this problem months ago yet still had the itinerary offered that they knew was unlikely to be able to be met. Same thing with our Southern itinerary. We paid for St Lucia, and booked druing the non-hurricane season to maximize the potential to go. Yet a problem that existed months ago, long before we booked, is now keeping it from happening. We have had ports changes or canceled for other reasons but nothing like this. And the $50 on-board credit is an insult to say the least. They're saving a lot more than that by shortening the itinerary.

We'll still have a great time but Carnival handled this all worng and it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I diagree:

Three days is absolutely last minute in that this precludes any chance of re-scheduling vacations, airline tickets, childcare, other transportation, etc.

Additionally, the communication that WAS sent fails to notify pax that per Carnival's Port Cancellation Policy they ARE allowed to cancel without penalty within 24 hours of receipt of the notification. Ethically, This should have been included.

Many of us schedule a Western Caribbean Panama itinerary specifically for the Panama Canal excursions, so anything (short of weather and such) that impacts that port IS legitimately disturbing.

We've ruled-out the Miracle for cruising and will either look at the newer Carnival Freedom for Panama itinerary or at Princess's 10-day Panama itinerary (Princess now includes "Cancel for Any Reason" coverage in their Berkley Trip Insurance - I wish Carnival would do this with their Berkley Policies!).

ken

Is that logical?

Quite honestly there is no place for logic on board a cruise ship, not in that sense anyway.

When you are on a cruise ship, you are basically on a self sustaining entity, it's own country in a manner of speaking. You are kinda at the whim of the captain. So let's say the capt went with the public consensus and pushed the engine to get to those faraway ports....the engine completely blows, now you are stranded in faraway waters....let's hear the BS complaints from that one. Is the capt supposed to order the oars brought out and paddle the boat around to all the ports then??

Quite honestly there is no place for logic on board a cruise ship, not in that sense anyway.

When you are on a cruise ship, you are basically on a self sustaining entity, it's own country in a manner of speaking. You are kinda at the whim of the captain. So let's say the capt went with the public consensus and pushed the engine to get to those faraway ports....the engine completely blows, now you are stranded in faraway waters....let's hear the BS complaints from that one. Is the capt supposed to order the oars brought out and paddle the boat around to all the ports then??

I could understand if the mechanical problems happened during this cruise. And even then they should be reimbursed for the difference in the itinerary........

But from what I am reading this problem was ongoing since August.......

Big difference......Carnival is the only one to blame for pushing the engines IMO.......

I think the point of the original post is that Carnival knew of this problem months ago yet still had the itinerary offered that they knew was unlikely to be able to be met. Same thing with our Southern itinerary. We paid for St Lucia, and booked druing the non-hurricane season to maximize the potential to go. Yet a problem that existed months ago, long before we booked, is now keeping it from happening. We have had ports changes or canceled for other reasons but nothing like this. And the $50 on-board credit is an insult to say the least. They're saving a lot more than that by shortening the itinerary.

We'll still have a great time but Carnival handled this all worng and it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

I was on the 11/29 departure - our itinerary was not changed. While I sympathize with the OP and others who have had itinerary changes-I do not believe that Carnival knew way ahead of time that they would have to change - otherwise, they would have had to change ours also - I would guess the problem got worse. I know I would have been disappointed if I couldn't go to Costa Rica and Panama, but I would have been more disappointed about losing one of those sea days! Also - I don't know if this is normal, but there was a tremendous vibration when we were in the dining room - our table was way aft against the window.

Carnival just sent us a change to the cruise we just bought on 12/20 for departure 2/17. Roatan taken off and Grand Cayman replacing it. Shore excursions still cannot be booked, probably because Carnival doesn't know where they might end up. Since this "propulsion" problem surfaced months ago, the cruise should have been listed with an asterisk, "subject to change due to mechanical probs". Don't think we would have booked knowing that. We understand shifting islands for weather problems or unexpected mechanical probs, but knowing months in advance they should have warned anyone taking a Miracle cruise. This was to be our first on Carnival and we picked it expressly for the itinerary. We have sailed with Princess and Holland America and journeyed around the Caribbean running from "Lefty Lenny".

Odds that the Miracle itinerary continues to change or will we have to help paddle?

Archived