Passports needed yet for cruises??

worry wart

It actually depends on the cruise company you are sailing with. Some of them have adopted passport requirements that take effect sooner than the US governments restrictions. Check with them- and do it early enough so you don't panic.

I used to travel with just my birth certificate. Last year I finally broke down and got passports for all 5 of us. I feel better now. I also feel more free- we're going to the Mediterranean in March!

You need one to fly.

If you should have an emergency and need to leave the ship to fly home, you need a passport.

Is it possible people have not yet gotten passports if they plan to travel?

Get a Passport ASAP.

If you're cruising from and to the U.S. (to Caribbean destinations), you don't need a passport until June 2009.

Won't be needed ( still recommended) then either under the same circumstances according to the new Western Hemisphere act thingy.

It actually depends on the cruise company you are sailing with. Some of them have adopted passport requirements that take effect sooner than the US governments restrictions. Check with them- and do it early enough so you don't panic.
Which cruiselines would that be? I know that Princess, HAL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Nowegian, Disney and MSC do not have passport requirements where the government does not. So I was curious to know which ones you are referring to. Thanks.

Archived