Spirit Air prices for FLL to DCA

sddsddean

Thought this was as good a board as any to put this question on. I'm trying to compare prices for FLL to DCA. Looks like only Spirit and US Airways do the direct flight. Problem is, I just cannot get on to Spirit's website. I've tried using both AOL and IE, but it just locks up my PC. Does anyone know a way round this or have the same trouble?

Simon

Just checked it out from my end as that is who we are flying to FLA with,

works fine..www.spiritair.com

Good luck.

Just tried your link (though its what I've been trying) and exactly the same result...locked up the server. I wonder if the site is configured so that it only accepts US/Canadian servers?

Simon

if you want to tell me the dates you need, i can at least see how much it will be...

Thanks Meg. Its still too far away to get proper prices, but I was just checking between the two on 'test dates'. I've tried a few consolidator sites and they come out within about $5-10 of each other, so I'll probably just go with US for ease...unless someone tells me there is a good reason for picking Spirit over US!

Simon

simon.....if it's a small price difference, i would pick USScare (OOPS...USAirways)......i've never flown spirit but some friends of mine have...it's 50-50. one said NO WAY--never on time and the other loved it....

you should have a lot of choices on US between DCA and FLL...and if worse comes to worse, at least US would be able to get you on another carrier, whereas spirit doesn't have any interline agreements.

AND....if something REALLY wacky happened, you could haul it on Super Shuttle, washington flyer or even the bus over to Dulles (bus is only 3-4 bucks, exact change, but it's the least travel friendly option..you'd have to hop the MEtro a couple stops, walk outside and 1-2 blocks to the bus, which mainly only goes to Dulles, WITH TRAVELERS and no room for luggage..:eek: it's a PITA but i've done it.....super shuttle costs more but isn't bad

so....happy planning.......

Do you have to fly to DCA? Baltimore (BWI) and Dulles (IAD) are both about 45 minutes from Washington DC. Just about every airline flys to one of those 3 airports and many fly non-stop to the FLL area. (Also try PBI or MIA from Florida if you can) so that gives you 3 airports in Florida and 3 airports in WAS area to choose from.

Metro runs buses to IAD and BWI to the Metro system if you need to go to DC for something. www.wmata.com is Metro's website.

Also try flying into one airport and out another such as fly into BWI and back to Florida from DCA, etc.

Megr1125 - Washington Flyer was $8 when I took it 2 years ago and Metrobus to Metro station is $2 or $3

Do you have to fly to DCA? Baltimore (BWI) and Dulles (IAD) are both about 45 minutes from Washington DC. Just about every airline flys to one of those 3 airports and many fly non-stop to the FLL area. (Also try PBI or MIA from Florida if you can) so that gives you 3 airports in Florida and 3 airports in WAS area to choose from.

Metro runs buses to IAD and BWI to the Metro system if you need to go to DC for something. www.wmata.com is Metro's website.

Also try flying into one airport and out another such as fly into BWI and back to Florida from DCA, etc.

Megr1125 - Washington Flyer was $8 when I took it 2 years ago and Metrobus to Metro station is $2 or $3

I was only going to DCA as I thought it would be easier to get into DC from there with us both hauling a couple of bags each. At the moment we are planning on using the Holiday Inn Capitol just behind the Smithsonian (as thats the sort of area we want to be in) and it looks easy to get the metro from DCA to almost beside the hotel. Tell me I'm wrong if you have abetter plan!

simon.....if it's a small price difference, i would pick USScare (OOPS...USAirways)......i've never flown spirit but some friends of mine have...it's 50-50. one said NO WAY--never on time and the other loved it....

you should have a lot of choices on US between DCA and FLL...and if worse comes to worse, at least US would be able to get you on another carrier, whereas spirit doesn't have any interline agreements.

AND....if something REALLY wacky happened, you could haul it on Super Shuttle, washington flyer or even the bus over to Dulles (bus is only 3-4 bucks, exact change, but it's the least travel friendly option..you'd have to hop the MEtro a couple stops, walk outside and 1-2 blocks to the bus, which mainly only goes to Dulles, WITH TRAVELERS and no room for luggage..:eek: it's a PITA but i've done it.....super shuttle costs more but isn't bad

so....happy planning.......

OK Meg, I'll stick with US unless we come up with a better plan re Steves post.

Simon

DCA is definitely much closer and convenient to downtown DC, especially if you are staying in the city and checking out sites. Driving time by car (no traffic--which rarely happens) from IAD to downtown would be at least 30 minutes and longer from BWI. DCA is a nice airport with Metrorail access (sorry, but Metro Bus at IAD is not the same). US Airways has several non-stop flights a day between DCA and FLL (and even some to PBI---West Palm Beach). While you do have extra charges on US Airways (luggage, beverages), you have more on Spirit. As another person said Spirit does not have interline agreements so if anything happens on them you would be stuck with them finding a solution on Spirit only. As for JetBlue & Southwest from IAD (and Southwest from BWI)--they used to have the least expensive flights between DC & FL, but no longer (I regularly fly between there and Orlando and always find Southwest more expensive).

Archived