Hotel in Fort Lauderdale

CRUZFOOLS

Depends what you are looking for. My husband and I stayed at a very nice hotel (the area looks a little run down...lots of motels), but it was about 15 minutes from the airport, and 10 minutes from Port. It is called Tropi Rock. NOT fancy, but the owner is super nice and it was budget friendly. We literally walked to a ton of places...it was a great location if you like walking. Las Olas Shopping Blvd was about 2 miles away. The beach (Ft Lauderdale Beach) was literally at the end of the street (5 min walk). Here is the website http://www.tropirock.com/

Also, if you do decide to go with Tropi Rock....print directions for the taxi drivers or take the hotel phone number because it isn't a huge resort. Don't pick this place if you are wanting luxury it is more homey and quiet.

We actually enjoyed Tropi/Ft Lauderdale more than our cruise!

You may also want to take out a forum on tripadvisor......especially if you are looking for a hotel with shuttle service, but if you are booking late, good luck.....those were booked up on us.

Either way...ENJOY!

If you want to be by happening things, stay by the main fort Laud beach or downtown. This is where the restaurants and bars are.

downtown: Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd

There is also a Hampton Inn on Andrews, but it's off the beaten track and I wouldn't feel safe walking to/from it at night.

beach:

Marriott Beachplace

Courtyard by Marriott

Hilton

there are lots of little motels.

there are also more expensive hotels like Ritz-Carlton, Atlantic, the Pillars.

Sheraton Yankee Clipper and the Bahia Mar are a bit of a further walk to the bars and restaurants.

I'm just beginning to do research but someone mentioned these: Holiday Inn Convention Center, Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, Renaissance (I think most are on or near 17th---don't know the area but am looking for info). We don't want to spend a fortune but don't want a dump either. We get there about 1:30 pm the day before our cruise. Need things to see and places to eat.

I'm just beginning to do research but someone mentioned these: Holiday Inn Convention Center, Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, Renaissance (I think most are on or near 17th---don't know the area but am looking for info). We don't want to spend a fortune but don't want a dump either. We get there about 1:30 pm the day before our cruise. Need things to see and places to eat.

they are all on 17th...the HI is actually a HI Express.....if you check out hotwire, the renaissance is the only 4 star in the port everglades/las olas area.

cab from the airport to the 17th street area is about 20 bucks or so...and cab fare from these hotels to the pier is around 10 or so....

if you are on 17th you can get on the sun trolley or water taxi pretty easily..

www.suntrolley.com

www.watertaxi.com

I keep checking all the info that you are sending. Also wanted to ask about Cocobelle Resort. The reviews on Tripadvisor dot com are really good and the prices are even better. Would it be that bad to stay there. It's not a highrise but if it's in an ok area and we are able to get to restaurants then it would be wonderful.

You asked for a hotel near "happening things". There are places to eat on 17th St. near these hotels but I wouldn't call them "happening", just convenient. (Of course, China Grill is happening, but it will cost you a small fortune). 17th St is next to the cruiseport and close to the airport, so the cab fare is less, but the beach and Las Olas aren't much further and are more "happening". But as someone mentioned, you can take the water taxi, cab, or suntrolley to get to these places from 17th St. Personally, I like to stay in an area where I will walk around at night and stop in different places, and it doesn't have to cost more money, as the 17th St hotels have raised their prices a lot.

I keep checking all the info that you are sending. Also wanted to ask about Cocobelle Resort. The reviews on Tripadvisor dot com are really good and the prices are even better. Would it be that bad to stay there. It's not a highrise but if it's in an ok area and we are able to get to restaurants then it would be wonderful.

I'm not familiar with this resort, but I checked out the location. It is about 8-10 blocks away from the main area of beachfront bars and restaurants (go south). Not a far walk, but I'm personally not very comfortable walking in that area at night, because there aren't enough people around. There used to be crime in the area, but I think most of it has been cleared up. Maybe you would want to walk down there and get a cab back. There is a cute little area just a block north of there with a few very casual restaurants and bars (Blue Fish, Primantes, Parrot Lounge, Kava Bar), t-shirt shops, and tattoo parlors. It looks seedy, but actually really nice people go there.

Another area to check out is Lauderdale by the Sea, which is just north of Fort Lauderdale. There are lots of motel resorts there and a nice beach. It has virtually no crime and is a cool place to hang out at night (Aruba, 3030 Ocean, Kilwins, Athena Cafe, Village Grill, Village Pump).

We stayed at the CocoBelle for just one night. For the price it is a very clean and well-kept motel. The pool was surrounded by greenery and was just outside our door and was very nice. They allowed an earlier check-in. During the day we felt safe walking in the area, 2.5 blocks from the beach and shops but we came back to the motel after an early dinner and did not bother going out for the evening. It was about a $22.00 taxi from the airport.

Need ideas on where to stay before our cruise in Fort Lauderdale. We're flying in the day before and would like to stay near happening things. Also, how far is it from the airport to the pier? Thanks

We stayed at Holiday Inn express 17th street and it was excellent.

Need ideas on where to stay before our cruise in Fort Lauderdale. We're flying in the day before and would like to stay near happening things. Also, how far is it from the airport to the pier? Thanks

We were there this past Feb and stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper, which was nice and right on the beach! Plus, you can hop on one of the "water taxis" and go all over. Not too mention, Los Olas is not far from there and is a really neat & "happening" place. Bars, restaurants, shops, etc on one side of the street and beach on the other. If going there, you can also visit the famous "Elbow Room" bar! Nice, fun town!

Stayed at both Holiday Inn Express Convention Center and Embassy Suites on 17th.

Would recommend either.

Obvious differences in the two properties but both are close to places are close to the airport, places to eat, sun trolley, and the port.

Bimini Boat yard & Bravo are across the street from HIEX . Open air shopping mall behind Embassy Suites and number of places to eat within a 2 block area.

HIEX has a OK breakfast bar in the morning but like all Embassy Suites they have the cocktail hour in the evening and full breakfast in the morning all served in a beautiful atrium.

These sound great. I was just hoping to get something cheaper than $208 (Holiday Inn Express) and Embassy Suites ($210) but will do what I have to do. This sounds like a good area where we can walk or get on the water taxi, go to restaurants, etc. Tell me more about Los Olas.

Depends what you are looking for. My husband and I stayed at a very nice hotel (the area looks a little run down...lots of motels), but it was about 15 minutes from the airport, and 10 minutes from Port. It is called Tropi Rock. NOT fancy, but the owner is super nice and it was budget friendly. We literally walked to a ton of places...it was a great location if you like walking. Las Olas Shopping Blvd was about 2 miles away. The beach (Ft Lauderdale Beach) was literally at the end of the street (5 min walk). Here is the website http://www.tropirock.com/

Also, if you do decide to go with Tropi Rock....print directions for the taxi drivers or take the hotel phone number because it isn't a huge resort. Don't pick this place if you are wanting luxury it is more homey and quiet.

You may also want to take out a forum on tripadvisor......especially if you are looking for a hotel with shuttle service, but if you are booking late, good luck.....those were booked up on us.

Either way...ENJOY!

Thanks Susie, for the recommendation -- just booked the Tropi Rock for March (pre-cruise). BTW, I live not too far from you -- this weather is making me wish our cruise was sooner!

Mary

These sound great. I was just hoping to get something cheaper than $208 (Holiday Inn Express) and Embassy Suites ($210) but will do what I have to do. This sounds like a good area where we can walk or get on the water taxi, go to restaurants, etc. Tell me more about Los Olas.

Try and get The Riverside on Las Olas. Totally agree that 17th Street isn't 'happening'. There is a lot to do but it isn't the place to be.

Either way...ENJOY!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Tropi Rock so much as we are staying there for 3 nights precruise in a few weeks. We also enjoy walking so plan to do a lot of that. Did you find any grocery stores or convenience stores nearby? What about a relatively close by Liquor store? Favorite restaurants? Thanks for sharing your experiences!:)

Either way...ENJOY!

Thanks for suggesting this place. DH and I will be staying there 3 nights before our cruises! :)

• 2 months later...

The Embassy does have a great free breakfast & the Managers reception from 5:30-7:30 each evening that has free alcohol. I always use that to justify the price. It's also very close to a grocery store & other restaurants.

Last February prior to our Emerald Princess cruise we stayed at the Extended Say on 17th street. Not fancy but certainly adequate and a great location. No airport or cruise port shuttle but a taxi is very inexpensive from the airport and to the cruise port. The prices are great. I just booked it for next February 25th before our Celebrity Equinox cruise. Used AAA and am paying $95.00 plus tax. The hotel is clean and a friendly staff. Hard to find a hotel in this area for that price in February.

Archived