Christmas on Celebrity?

terri23

We'll be on Infinity next year for Christmas and New Year's - does Celebrity decorate their ships and/or provide other holiday festivities? Can anyone back from a Christmas cruise this year tell me about the on-board holiday experience? I figure we'll decorate our cabin and put holiday music on the IPod, but would also like to know what to expect when we are "out and about".

There were decorated trees and wreaths scattered throughout the ship, and lots of poinsettias. Church services were held and carols sung late Christmas Eve. The children on board did some sort of special show but I didnt go so can't tell you much about that. They also had a visit from Santa. X gave each cabin a canvas tote bag as a gift. But I think you are on the right track inplanning to bring your own Christmas stuff with you.

The new decorations on the Solstice were stunning. Grand foyer in garlands, around MDR too. Trees & poinsettas scattered about ship.

A special five course Christmas Eve chef selection, with Buche de Noel for dessert. Caroling in foyer at 10pm, Tree Trimmer Buffet 11:30pm-12:45pm. Catholic Mass at midnight, Protestant service at 5pm.

On Christmas Day from 12-2 (we left Tortola at 1), a special Christmas lunch buffet in MDR with Ham and Turkey carving stations and a chocolate fountain as the desert table centerpiece. Holiday Show at 4pm. Visit from Santa (kids given a Fun Factory cover-up or hoodie) and every cabin received a gift from X (good quality tote bag). About the only thing missing was the snow.

We had snow on the Emerald Princess for Christmas last year. They hook up a machine on one of the top levels of the atrium and the flakes gently fall down and then melt. I'm not sure what they use to make them.

We were on Century this year, disembarking on Christmas Eve. The best thing about early December cruises is that you can enjoy the Christmas decorations without breaking the bank. As we were leaving, I noticed they were about to set up gingerbread houses in the Islands Cafe. Other than those, I did not notice any new decorations going up.

Overall, Celebrity does a nice job with decorations but nothing elaborate. This year the Century was decorated better than when we were on it for Christmas and New Year's in 2004.

The Christmas arrangements this year were very much the same as described by cruisesitch and Janet for last year's cruises. I'd say there was more prominence to the Hanukkah side of things on the Millennium this year, but otherwise very close to that described above.

Hello. We were on Constellation from 22nd Dec to 2nd Jan. This was the first time we had been away for Christmas and we were very disappointed in the lack of Christmas celebrations. There were a few Christmas trees and poinsettias in the main foyer and they had gingerbread houses in the buffet restaurant on Christmas Day but other than that it was bleak. There were Christmas songs sung at 8pm on Christmas Eve for 30 mins but these tended to be pop songs rather than carols. The Christmas service for all Christian religions at 9am on Christmas morning was a joke. It took 20 mins and we sang the first verse of Silent Night only. Even the priest was unenthusiastic, you felt he was doing a funeral service rather than a service of celebration. At 10am the children walked through the ship from the pool to the foyer to meet Santa and were given a gift of a towelling robe. This was okay but it would have been nice to have been given the photo with Santa rather than being asked $10 for it. Everyone did receive a tote bag which was great. Christmas Day dinner was lovely although not as traditional as we would expect. In fact the "English" Christmas pudding was served cold - how much research would it take to find out that it is served hot in England. Luckily a trip back to the kitchen microwave sorted this out!

I would agree that more prominence was given to Hanukkah on this cruise and that Christmas was sidelined. I would recommend taking lots of decorations to decorate your cabin and door, any particular Christmas food that you like and if religious your own priest!

That said, once the disappointment of Christmas was over, we did have a lovely cruise although we didn't think Celebrity was as good as hyped.

Enjoy your trip!

Hello. We were on Constellation from 22nd Dec to 2nd Jan. This was the first time we had been away for Christmas and we were very disappointed in the lack of Christmas celebrations. There were a few Christmas trees and poinsettias in the main foyer and they had gingerbread houses in the buffet restaurant on Christmas Day but other than that it was bleak. I would agree with this statement. I expected something more than "shopping mall" decorations. I wish I had brought a few things for our cabin. There were Christmas songs sung at 8pm on Christmas Eve for 30 mins but these tended to be pop songs rather than carols. The attempt to distribute song sheets was disorganized and seemed last minute. If they had really wanted a good turn out they might have left a copy in each cabin that morning. The Christmas service for all Christian religions at 9am on Christmas morning was a joke. It took 20 mins and we sang the first verse of Silent Night only. Even the priest was unenthusiastic, you felt he was doing a funeral service rather than a service of celebration. The priest was not prepared at Midnight Mass and wanted to blame the cruise line for not having his box with hosts, chalice etc, yet he was in his stocking feet and wore no Christmas liturgical vestments. No attempt was made to maximize involvement with those gathered, such as calling for readers or asking someone to pick some hymns and lead them. At 10am the children walked through the ship from the pool to the foyer to meet Santa and were given a gift of a towelling robe. This was okay but it would have been nice to have been given the photo with Santa rather than being asked $10 for it. Everyone did receive a tote bag which was great. Christmas Day dinner was lovely although not as traditional as we would expect. In fact the "English" Christmas pudding was served cold - how much research would it take to find out that it is served hot in England. Luckily a trip back to the kitchen microwave sorted this out! We were also greatly disappointed with the dinner and could not believe that Christmas music was not played at all in the dining room on Christmas day. What a sad omission and why was it not corrected?

I would agree that more prominence was given to Hanukkah on this cruise and that Christmas was sidelined. I would recommend taking lots of decorations to decorate your cabin and door, any particular Christmas food that you like and if religious your own priest!

That said, once the disappointment of Christmas was over, we did have a lovely cruise although we didn't think Celebrity was as good as hyped. I am surprised that you did not mention the sad little Christmas. Poorly rehearsed and staged, and almost laughable, but not in a good way;).

Celebrity, I hope that read these message boards and raise your standards, during the holiday season, to the degree that you raise your fares! It was enough of a disappointment for me that I would not be too quick to take another cruise on this line again.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for posting. I think your points are valid ones!

In fact the "English" Christmas pudding was served cold - how much research would it take to find out that it is served hot in England.

This was English Christmas pudding ala Constellation maybe.

The decoration on Solstice loocked nice and it was not overly exorbitant.

Archived