Cabin: inside category K with 4 people?? (plaza on sapphire)

boomvan

Well, you choose to live in a place that can be 53 degrees below zero; I fail to see what that has to do with it. I'd be interested to know if your girlfriend agrees with your "perspective"; you're asking her to share a tiny room with three people to whom she is not related? You came on here to ask our opinion, which we've all given, and you've dismissed any concerns with snarky requests for donations. Fine, do what you want, but don't come back on here and complain afterwards.

Who's being snarky???

I think it is doable as it is only 7 days out of your lives. Is it preferable, probably not, but doable to say the least. My grandmother (different country) had a house about the size of a normal cruise cabin that she rented out and a family of four lived in it. So if they could live in that 24/7, you can do a 7 day cruise. All about prespective and going into the situation in a positive manner.

My husband, 16 year old son and myself were just in the same type room of the CB and I could NOT imagine having four adults in one room.

Wow you must have a very forgiving girlfriend, I would have to hurt my husband if he had ever suggested this. Can not wait to read HER trip report on this ;)

I agree with rdsgirl couldn't your parents afford their own room??

An inside stateroom of that level are not expensive at all :)

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll let you know how it goes.

We have been a couple for many years, we are a close family, and we all used to live together anyhow.. Im not concerned, just wanted to know about the bed situation really...

30 days to go...

Happy cruising!

Tim

I agree. Yuck. I don't think I could ever do that. I'd rather not go than share a cabin with my in-laws. You'd think his parents could cough up enough to get their own cabin or help pay for one for the younger ones.

Also, remember that if you put the 2 twin beds together, someone is going to have to hop, or step across, those that are in the queen bed (twins pushed together) to get to his bunk bed ladder. Make sure you chose someone for that bunk bed that doesn't need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night or at least 3 of you will wake up every time. The fourth person may wake up once they hear the loud toilet. ;)

Good luck. You're brave...very brave!:eek:

Wow! Thank you for all the replies!

A seperate inside room would be around $800, and I cant justify adding that much more to this already expensive vacation..

:)

I guess I don't understand where you are coming up with the $800 difference. From what I have seen (and booked) the difference is more like $150. I have 2 insides booked for the 1/17 sailing on the Sapphire.

Oh well, to each his own. Best wishes to your girlfriend.

Well, you choose to live in a place that can be 53 degrees below zero; I fail to see what that has to do with it. I'd be interested to know if your girlfriend agrees with your "perspective"; you're asking her to share a tiny room with three people to whom she is not related? You came on here to ask our opinion, which we've all given, and you've dismissed any concerns with snarky requests for donations. Fine, do what you want, but don't come back on here and complain afterwards. (because you are going to bite her head off, knock her out, slam her against the wall, call her names, or just be overall, downright, unbelievable, rude?)

What's wrong with asking (I think it was in jest). Hey, there might be good, kind-hearted people out there. Well, we know who they are NOT.

I guess I don't understand where you are coming up with the $800 difference. From what I have seen (and booked) the difference is more like $150. I have 2 insides booked for the 1/17 sailing on the Sapphire.

Oh well, to each his own. Best wishes to your girlfriend.

I am booked via a Princess employee travel program. Rates are discounted for parties of 3+, but there are no changes or upgrades allowed. I would have to cancel the entire itinerary (75% fee) and rebook for two parties of 2, which does not provide a discount, which I can not absorb those costs at this time.

This is my 3rd cruise with Princess. I am familiar with the availabilty of spa's/gym showers and the restrooms... all of which have been very adequate..

The comment about taking donations was not serious.. I wouldn't accept money from anyone I dont know personally...

Anyways I have learned all I need to know so I thank everyone for thier comments and I wish everyone a happy new year!

To the OP -- if you're serious about doing this, and it looks like you are, then please have a talk amongst the 4 of you before the cruise to discuss expectations and groundrules. You may think it will all fall into place, and maybe it will, but I wouldn't take the chance of ruining your vacation. I would especially set up a routine for before dinner--- maybe 2 of you could get ready and leave the cabin , then the other 2 could get ready and meet you on deck. Just a suggestion, but you get the drift. Two other areas to consider would probably be the AM expectations (do some of you like to sleep late?) and late night rules if some of you stay out late. Those may not be the problem areas for the 4 of you, but it should get you started. All too often, people assume that others do things the same way they do, and it can lead to arguments and hard feelings when they don't.

We usually get an inside cabin for the three of us, but I'm talking about three people who weigh under 150 pounds each (and one of us is under 70 pounds). If any of you are on the large size, you may have trouble manuevering around the cabin when the bunk beds are down (the cabin steward does the turn down service while you're at dinner and replaces them into the wall or ceiling in the morning when cleaning the cabin).

Another problem is dealing with the bathroom when you all are trying to get ready at the same time. Unless you're used to this back home and on a good schedule....

And as pointed out, two of you will need to sleep in the bunk beds. I would suggest the younger unless your parents are spry and eager. It would be difficult to move the lower beds together when the bunk beds are down (with their ladders in place). Just not too practical.

Your luggage may not be so difficult, especially if you only bring a couple of large bags. On the Island Princess, we were able to stash two large suitcases and two large plastic crates (for drinks, snorkeling gear, etc) under the beds. Just remember you can do a load of laundry onboard so you don't have to bring your whole wardrope.

Our first Princess cruise was booked as an employee discount (wish she still worked there), but couldn't you get another cabin for your parents that is paid as a non-employee discount? Maybe with the way the economy is doing, there will be a cancellation of a booked cabin. And since you're talking about late January, the demand won't be as high as the holiday time or spring break. I can't see it costing as high as $800/person for an inside.

Another thought. Keep the cabin you have booked for three a get another inside as a single. Then, once onboard, have one party move over to the single.

I know you will be paying double for the second room, but you will be keeping the inexpensive room for three and no cancellation charges.

boomvan - It appears that some don't understand the luxury of just having the opportunity to get away and have an enjoyable experience at certain times in our lives. In my opinion, it is not up to any of us to question your parents' financial condition or contributions, etc. I am sure you have considered all of the circumstances and think you have been gracious in your replies. Happy New Year, best of luck making the arrangement work for the 4 of you, and have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

boomvan - I will be cruising on the Sapphire in March with 4 adults in an outside room. Please let me know how it goes for you; any pointers on what worked and what didn't would be appreciated. After I booked this cruise (3 of us, inside again) we decided to ask our son's girlfriend to come, since she will also be on spring break. It will be her first cruise and she is very happy and excited to come, even if she is in our room. :eek: Now the 4 of us will be sharing an outside cabin. Yes, it will be cozy; ideal situation, probably not, LOL, but it's only for a week. We only use the room for sleeping and changing clothes for dinner anyway. We're just happy to be going on a cruise!:D

Hubby, son (23), and I did an inside cabin last year on the Dawn. It was fine. I kept saying to myself (and them) that we would all be in a room the size of my son's bedroom, 10'x11'. lol Our cabin was a little bigger than than my son's room, but I wanted us to get used to the idea of being in cramped quarters.

I'm the early riser in the group and was out by 6am at the latest (set out my warm-up clothes the night before). I would walk at least a mile, maybe have a cup of tea, enjoy the scenery, explore the ship, read, and/or people-watch. I would return to the room around 8:30 to shower and dress. They would start waking up by then and we would go to breakfast by 9:30.

Our son usually came to the room later than us. I did tell him before the cruise that he wouldn't be sleeping in until noon (typical college kid lol). The poor stewards have enough to do without waitng for people to get out of the room at noon or later. Our son wasn't too noisy and didn't turn on the cabin lights when he came in later than us; he used a small flashlight if he needed to. We kept a battery-operated candle in the bathroom so we didn't have to turn on the bathroom light and wake people up during the night. (The light switch was on the outside of the bathroom door) I'm usually the only one who gets up during the night to use the bathroom. (Sorry about the flushing guys:rolleyes:) We were creative in dressing for formal nights. I found that by opening the door to the closet, I could dress in the area between the open closet door and the cabin door leading to the hallway. Hey, it worked for me.:) On this next cruise, I might try the spa showers in the early morning. On formal nights I might suggest them to the guys.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys will work things out. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE! Come back and tell us all about it.

boomvan - It appears that some don't understand the luxury of just having the opportunity to get away and have an enjoyable experience at certain times in our lives. In my opinion, it is not up to any of us to question your parents' financial condition or contributions, etc. I am sure you have considered all of the circumstances and think you have been gracious in your replies. Happy New Year, best of luck making the arrangement work for the 4 of you, and have a great cruise!

Well said! It's amazing how judgmental people can be! We're in the group that's lucky to be going on vacation and grateful to go, any way we can. I'd definitely do what you're doing rather than miss a cruise!

Good hints from Starshine! Also, when dressing for dinners, girls typically take longer getting ready, so maybe your girlfriend and mom could get the room first, then you and your dad can get ready next...

I also agree about keeping the beds in twin configuration - that makes it much easier to attach the ladders for the upper bunks (which fold down from the wall. The steward will fold them up during the day).

Have a wonderful cruise! :)

Maybe not ideal, but we all do what we have to do. Years ago, money was short for us ...we went camping with my wife's parents..in a tent a lot smaller than a ship's cabin, we fell over each other in that tent and had many laughs....it was one of our fondest memories. The OP was only asking about the bed configurations and I'm hoping this cruise will be one their best fond memories of their life. Happy cruising!

• 2 weeks later...

Boomvan- So how was your cruise? How was it with 4 in the cabin? Just curious.

Hello,

I booked a trip for 4 of us, my girlfriend, myself, and both of my parents. We have an inside Category K room on the Sapphire.

The booking confirmation - bed configuration says "Convertible twins"

What does this mean? How do they fit space for 4 people in these rooms?

I have sailed with Princess before, in these same rooms, but it was only 2 of us before..

Bunk beds?

Can it partially be made into a queen bed?

I just want to know what I'll be facing once I get there...

Mexico - Sapphire Jan 31

Thanks,

Tim

Archived