Should I be worried-- Has this happened to you??

pugmommy

I received my docs today from the online company that I booked though. This particular web site starts with an O and ends with a Z. (I'm not sure if I can say them). So, on the cover of my doc book is a red sticker that says "You are booked on a restricted price program-Qualifying identification is required for boarding". I looked at the restrictions page and YIKES- I am booked at the senior rate. The problem-- I am in my 30's. I know for SURE that I didn't state I was 55+ when booking my cruise. I got a really really good deal on this particular booking (i'm a solo cruiser but joining friends that are on board) and I booked it the day after Thanksgiving-- this is why I thought that the price was so good. At no point in the booking process did being a senior ever come up. I think I even gave them my date of birth when filling out the cruise passenger information come to think of it.

Any one ever have this problem?

TA's out there-- any advise? Should I call the web company or RCCL?

Thanks in advance for your help.

~pugmommy

I received my docs today from the online company that I booked though. This particular web site starts with an O and ends with a Z. (I'm not sure if I can say them). So, on the cover of my doc book is a red sticker that says "You are booked on a restricted price program-Qualifying identification is required for boarding". I looked at the restrictions page and YIKES- I am booked at the senior rate. The problem-- I am in my 30's. I know for SURE that I didn't state I was 55+ when booking my cruise. I got a really really good deal on this particular booking (i'm a solo cruiser but joining friends that are on board) and I booked it the day after Thanksgiving-- this is why I thought that the price was so good. At no point in the booking process did being a senior ever come up. I think I even gave them my date of birth when filling out the cruise passenger information come to think of it.

TA's out there-- any advise? Should I call the web company or RCCL?

~pugmommy

Yes...I had to pay the difference at the port. You need to call the company you booked through immediatly and get this corrected.

Good Luck!

You have to deal with the TA, because they own the booking. I am a TA and what I would do is do a three way call with the TA and RCCL and see if this can be straightened out. You will have to pay the higher price. I have seen this issue on here before with senior and residence rates to get the sale with the best price you are booked into a program you don't qualify for and then you are stuck with the higher price at the pier. You will be required to show proof of age when checking in to get the discount or have to cough up the difference. I would NOT wait until the pier to get this straightened out.

You have to deal with the TA, because they own the booking. I am a TA and what I would do is do a three way call with the TA and RCCL and see if this can be straightened out. You will have to pay the higher price. I have seen this issue on here before with senior and residence rates to get the sale with the best price you are booked into a program you don't qualify for and then you are stuck with the higher price at the pier. You will be required to show proof of age when checking in to get the discount or have to cough up the difference. I would NOT wait until the pier to get this straightened out.

Sue,

As a travel agent, if you were to book a incorrect restricted code, as happend to me, and it wasn't discovered until the day of the cruise. Would you pay the difference and are you covered by that from insurance or through RCL?

Thanks,

Knuckles

Sue,

As a travel agent, if you were to book a incorrect restricted code, as happend to me, and it wasn't discovered until the day of the cruise. Would you pay the difference and are you covered by that from insurance or through RCL?

Thanks,

Knuckles

Well, we in my office are very careful :p but if for some reason if it was done and not caught you bet we would do everything possible to rectify the situation without extra cost to the client. I am a brick and mortar store agent and as soon as we book either through our system (direct into RCCL's system) or on the phone with a RCCL agent we get written confirmations and read them WITH the client there (if possible) THOROUGHLY, it is very clear on the confirmation what if any promotions the cruise is booked with.

Well, we in my office are very careful :p but if for some reason if it was done and not caught you bet we would do everything possible to rectify the situation without extra cost to the client. I am a brick and mortar store agent and as soon as we book either through our system (direct into RCCL's system) or on the phone with a RCCL agent we get written confirmations and read them WITH the client there (if possible) THOROUGHLY, it is very clear on the confirmation what if any promotions the cruise is booked with.

Thanks for the reply and I didn't mean to imply you would make a mistake, but they do happen. I just learned the hard way to check everything myself.

On checking the site, when you make your reservation, it asks for a zip code, and if you are over 55. the default on the age is no, so unless someone clicked it to yes, it would not have given a senior rate.

To the OP, when you did this, were you also talking to the agent while on the website, or did you just book it on the site with no help. If you were speaking with an agent, then it is very possible they made a mistake, or wrote a birthday wrong, etc. If you booked it on your own, then it could be possible you clicked a wrong button.

Thanks for the reply and I didn't mean to imply you would make a mistake, but they do happen. I just learned the hard way to check everything myself.

No, I didn't take it that way, notice the smiley face, but can I ask you if you booked with an online company or a brick and mortar? Just curious, did they send or give you a written confirmation FROM RCCL?

Pumpkin- I too just went back through like I was booking a new cruise and there is just no way that I would have clicked over 55. I think of myself as a pretty smart gal and Im not dishonest and certainly would not have done it to try to get a discounted rate. I did go in on the web site a second time the next day just to make sure I liked the room I picked and I was quoted the same rate and again, did not change any defaults.

I was on the phone with O****Z just now but got disconnected. I'll try them again.

Knuckles- I read your post from earlier and I hope your TA helps you to get it all worked out. Best of luck to you! :)

Thanks again All!

~Pugmommy

**UPDATE**

I am on the phone with an O***Z rep and they have my correct dob of 1973 but still in their system they have me as a Sr. She is not sure where the problem happened but is talking with RCCL right now.

~fingers crossed~

~pugmommy

I had a sticker like that on my Celebrity cruise (also booked through a TA) and it was for a state that I didn't live in...I was prepared to pay the difference, but they never questioned me at the port...I didn't sign up for the cruise under the other state (I get good discounts in FL as it is)...but the age thing may make a difference...I would agree with others check with the booking agency...Good Luck!!!!

They are willing to give me the room but the difference is an additional #430.00 or give me a guarantee inside room for an additional $60.00

Any advise or ideas? ( The original price for the inside room on 10th floor was under $800.00)

When I booked my upcoming cruise two months ago, the ta gave me such a great price. Well, when we spoke a couple of hours later something was mentioned and I realized the ta didn't include my dh. He had me as a single. You know what they say...if the price is too good to be true.....

They are willing to give me the room but the difference is an additional #430.00 or give me a guarantee inside room for an additional $60.00

Any advise or ideas? ( The original price for the inside room on 10th floor was under $800.00)

go for the inside guaranty is my advice for the 60$ and maybe you will be upgraded. Wouldn't that be a Cinderella story. :D

I would do the guaranteed inside for $60. At least with a guarantee you have a chance of an upgrade.

i received my docs today from the online company that i booked though. This particular web site starts with an o and ends with a z. (i'm not sure if i can say them). So, on the cover of my doc book is a red sticker that says "you are booked on a restricted price program-qualifying identification is required for boarding". I looked at the restrictions page and yikes- i am booked at the senior rate. The problem-- i am in my 30's. I know for sure that i didn't state i was 55+ when booking my cruise. I got a really really good deal on this particular booking (i'm a solo cruiser but joining friends that are on board) and i booked it the day after thanksgiving-- this is why i thought that the price was so good. At no point in the booking process did being a senior ever come up. I think i even gave them my date of birth when filling out the cruise passenger information come to think of it.

Ta's out there-- any advise? Should i call the web company or rccl?

~pugmommy

never book with an online travel company and never never never never book online without talking to someone!

Cinderella story is so true Sue. I think that is where I am leading. I guess my fuel charge refund goes into my room after all! :)

~pugmommy

Be happy that it was fairly easy to solve, call them right now and grab that guarantee. They can disappear as fast as they appear.

Archived