Formal wear rentals?

Buddy2004

We will be on the Diamond princess this coming February and my husband would like not to take a suit as we are going to be staying in Australia for another couple of weeks. Does any one have any thing good or bad to say about renting with Princess.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

:)

Hi There,

last Christmas when my bags were nicked in Miami, Princess gaveme a rental and the ships tailor fitted to me, quality was better than I would have thought I would have been given on a cruise ship,

yours Shogun

My DH is a "plus size" and he was very pleased with the tux he rented on the Diamond. He would recommend getting measured at a regular tux store because he had his alterations lady measure him and the tux was huge on him. Princess had extra tuxes on board, and they made the exchange quickly and efficiently. He is renting a tux again for our TA as we'll be doing a land trip in Italy after the cruise.

We will be on the Diamond princess this coming February and my husband would like not to take a suit as we are going to be staying in Australia for another couple of weeks. Does any one have any thing good or bad to say about renting with Princess.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

If you plan on staying in Sydney for any time at all, I highly recommend the Hotel Coronation - it is not 4 star but it has a great location within walking distance of most all of the Sydney sights - about a 15 minute walk to Darling Harbor and about a mile or so to the Opera House and Circular Quay. They also have a great restuarant with large portions, great food and reasonable prices. Tell them Ron and Connie sent you.

OH, I guess I didn't answer your original question but I would trust Princess to provide him with a good fit!

Ron

I rented last year on the Star P. Worked out pretty good. I sent the rental company my measurements and the tux was in my cabin when we arrived on the ship. As there were two formal nights on this cruise the rental came with two starched shirts. Will do it again. :):)

The pants did come a tad long (probably my mistake):(:(, the cabin steward said he'd get them shorted but never did get it done. Not a big problem as the safety pin that attached the tux to the hanger helped greatly. Best of all the rental saved room in my suitcase for other more needed clothing. And the tux itself was in excellent condition.

SAS

We have used the cruiseline rental company and it worked out great. We had the measurements taken at a local tux shop ( offered to pay them a small fee for the service, but they declined) and faxed them over.

The tux was waiting in the room when we arrived and after the last formal night the steward wisked it away. We would use them again. :)

If you plan on staying in Sydney for any time at all, I highly recommend the Hotel Coronation - it is not 4 star but it has a great location within walking distance of most all of the Sydney sights - about a 15 minute walk to Darling Harbor and about a mile or so to the Opera House and Circular Quay. They also have a great restuarant with large portions, great food and reasonable prices. Tell them Ron and Connie sent you.

OH, I guess I didn't answer your original question but I would trust Princess to provide him with a good fit!

Ron

Thanks to all for replies. I think renting will be the way to go.

Just a question about hotel, Ron. I read about it on trip advisor but the only thing I was worried about is the pub downstairs. Prices were very good. We are booked at the Cambridge comfort inn at moment. But still watching prices. Do you have any other suggestions for up in Cairns?

Thanks,

KIM

I am a size 52 and have a 19" neck so prefer to bring along my own tux or dinner jacket. Most everyone seems to have gook luch renting but a word to the wise, try it on as soon as it arrives while there is lots of time to make changes before the first formal night.:)

Thanks to all for replies. I think renting will be the way to go.

Just a question about hotel, Ron. I read about it on trip advisor but the only thing I was worried about is the pub downstairs. Prices were very good. We are booked at the Cambridge comfort inn at moment. But still watching prices. Do you have any other suggestions for up in Cairns?

Thanks,

KIM

No, we did not venture to Cairns. The Pub is on the main floor and the restaurant on the third - we had a suite ($109 US) above the restaurant and had no noise problems. As I mentioned it is not a 4 star but is clean, the people very friendly and the food very good (much better than anything we found in Darling Harbor and half the price).

Ron

My DH is in the 52-54 size range, and he was afraid the tux wouldn't fit, but once they made the exchange it fit fine and looked great. It was so nice to have it waiting in the closet when we arrived and to have our steward take it away on the last night. It was in a nice garment bag and ready to go. As another poster noted, try it on right away in case there's a problem. My DH's shirt was big enough for both of us to fit in together and came down to his knees. We even got a big laugh out of the steward who came to make the exchange. As my husband opened the door he told the steward he could come in if he promised not to laugh--but he did.

Husband usually takes his tux on cruises. However, we did a Mediterranean cruise last September with a few land days. We rented the tuxedo through the ship rental company and the fit was perfect. My husband did take his self tie tie (it's his preference) and some studs he prefers, but they did not take up much space in the suitcase and he was able to personalize his rental.

Thanks in advance,

Kim

My son-in-law and I rented for our Med cruise last August on Emerald. Both suits fitted perfectly and I would not hesitate to do this again. You have to provide a lot of measurements so these need to be accurate. Rent and enjoy !

We will be sailing out of Southampton, UK on the Grand in July. Does Princess do tux rental overseas.

This is the web page that was in the princess cruise answer book.

www.cruiselineformal.com

email: custservice@cruiselineformal.com

I believe you can rent from all over world.

Thanks for the info Ron.

Kim.

We are also considering renting a tux for my husband (more room in the luggage for shopping!) - my question is this - if he has a tux for formal nights, will he be okay in Dockers and a nice golf shirt on the other nights? We would rather not pack a sport coat if it's not necessary.

Thanks!

We are also considering renting a tux for my husband (more room in the luggage for shopping!) - my question is this - if he has a tux for formal nights, will he be okay in Dockers and a nice golf shirt on the other nights? We would rather not pack a sport coat if it's not necessary.

Thanks!

Absolutely!

Have a great cruise.

Mike:)

Yes, you can rent in Europe and pretty much wherever the ships sail.

My DH and DSs have done it many times and been satisfied with them.

Now that so many of the airlines charge major baggage fees, we've found it's much better to rent them vs. buying our own.

Tips:

Get your measurements done professionally at a local tux shop.

Try on the tux as soon as you get it. (Your cabin steward will take it if any corrections need to be made.)

Iron your tux shirt if needed. Many of them are pretty wrinkled.

Rental program is very good and leaves lots of room for other things and helps keeps you in the 50 pound limit. It is there when you arrive and they take it the day after the last formal night. When we went to Hawaii and again when sailing from Sydney for 31 nights DH rented the tux but also brought along a silver andblack silk "T shirt". That helped since there were more than 2 formal nights on these cruises.

Donna

I did the rental on our 14 day Panama Canal cruise last April and loved it. We did the measurements here at home, I put them on the web page for the rental and the tux and all the extras were hanging in the room when we got there. The shirt sleeves were a bit short and I probably should have traded them but didn't bother - but if there are any issues as others have said, check it out early so you can get then fixed as soon as you get on the ship.

The best part was having it left in the cabin, leaving it in the cabin when we left, and all the extra space in the suitcase!

Archived