Drive or fly from Maryland to Galveston and back

We leave in three weeks for our cruise out of Galveston. DH and I are trying to decide if we should forget flying and drive down from Maryland. The weather can change so quickly and I have a fear the flight will be cancelled and DH fears our car will break down. Time is not a problem as we are both retired. We figure it will take about 3 days to drive but would allow 4.

So, any thoughts. How do you decide if you will drive to port or fly?

That is quite a drive. I would consider flying in a day or two early. That way you have plenty of time if the weather changes. You won't be as exhausted from driving across the country, and it is probably cheaper to fly and get a hotel for one night than to drive and stay in several hotels, have to park a car somewhere, etc....

We always fly, but since we live in MI we understand the importance of flying out a day or two early. Since most of our cruises leave out of San Juan, flying is really the only way to get there!

I am fortunate that I can drive to all the FL ports, but if I had to make a long trip, I would absolutely fly. I agree with previous posters with the suggestion to fly in a day or two early. Galveston is a nice place to visit and escape the cold.

I would fly. Being in Maryland you can take advantage of Southwest's big operation out of BWI - there are a couple of nonstops to HOU and there are multiple one-stop flights and connection possibilities that you should be able to work around any difficulties, especially if you plan to fly down a day or two before.

Iv driven 2 days to get to Florida and found out hotels are more expensive than I budgeted for, and just overall cheaper to fly. We are flying next time. Come in 2 days early. Galveston needs the business. Harbor House is supposed to be open mid January or so. Several hotels are reopening again.

For me it's only a 9 hour drive to Galveston - we still opted to fly in a day early. We got there, got to enjoy a little bit of the area, and were truly able to enjoy the cruise because we were well rested from the trip, instead of having to use the first day of the cruise to recover.

There are some fun things to and see in the Houston and Galveston area, and the Galveston area especially needs the business. Fly in a few days early and do your part to help them recover from Hurricane Ike.

We leave in three weeks for our cruise out of Galveston. DH and I are trying to decide if we should forget flying and drive down from Maryland. The weather can change so quickly and I have a fear the flight will be cancelled and DH fears our car will break down. Time is not a problem as we are both retired. We figure it will take about 3 days to drive but would allow 4.

We love a road trip and are driving from Atlanta to New Orleans in March. It's a one day drive and I can go there and back plus pay parking for the week for less money and hassle than flying. We plan to arrive a day early, do a little site seeing and enjoy a great meal.

We'll be far more relaxed driving.

We love road trips too and that is why we were considering a drive to Galveston. However, I just did the math and with the unknown cost of motels, it just isn't cost effective. We'll be following our original plan and flying in 2 days early. We'll keep the drive as a back up plan if weather gets really unpredictable. Thanks for all of your wise info.

I live only 250 miles from Galveston, so I drive to the port. I do a road trip to Orlando every February and Indiana/Ohio every May. It is more enjoyable to drive, watch the scenery and avoid the hassle of flying. Plus I can take whatever will fit in the car and don't have to worry about taking my shoes off or any liquids before getting in the car. Since I am retired, I can take as much time as I want and stop anywhere I want on the way, which I do. I have a friend here that has family in Maryland and drives back at least once a year to visit. He is retired and takes his time. I flew when I had to because of work, but now it is time to lay back and relax.

I always fly ... oh hold on ... I live in England! :D

Joking apart - I would love to drive across the US, I might get round to it one day - maybe dine out with CC friends at each stop - what do you think of that as a road trip idea?

Actually we did a road trip with our kids and left from Maryland and drove to Yellowstone. Then we returned home. It was a great trip. Our only goal had been to see Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone, Old Faithful. So, I think your idea of a road trip across our country would be wonderful. The problem is it could take you forever because there is so much to see.

I always fly ... oh hold on ... I live in England! :D

Joking apart - I would love to drive across the US, I might get round to it one day - maybe dine out with CC friends at each stop - what do you think of that as a road trip idea?

I have friends that live in Florida and he cannot fly due to a medical condition. They drove across country to California to catch a roundtrip Hawaii cruise - stopping at various friend's homes along the way including mine. If you leave yourself plenty of time it can be a great idea. They were gone for over a month including the 2 week cruise.

I've recently been enthused about the idea because I read a book by English comedian Dave Gorman where he drives right across the US coast to coast in a vintage car (the same one as in Starsky and Hutch) and he only uses non-chain petrol, stays in non-chain hotels, uses independent shops etc.

It was fascinating and he met some wonderful people and saw some amazing sights.

http://www.davegorman.com/projects_america_unchained.html

Jane

x

We live in Wyoming and drive to the west coast, allowing 4 days just in case. DH likes to stop in Las Vegas on the way. (His favorrite place.:D) We get to see some awsome places. We stop the first night in Provo, UT, which is beautiful. However, my nephew has arranged a family reunion on the Enchantment of the Seas. Ft. Lauderdale is too far to drive, so we will fly in the day before.

Please fly. The drive home would be sooo long.

Archived