Smoking policy

pijod

We will be on the March 8 sailing of the Journey (we hope) It will mark one half year at sea for us. My wife has been ill so we have not cruised in over a year and a half. Our question is about the smoking policy on the Journey. My wife is extra sensitive these days and does not want the cruised ruined by smoking everywhere. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

You've picked one of the best cruise lines for enjoying an almost smoke-free cruise.

From Azamara's website:

Will smoking be allowed on these ships?

Subject: Smoking Policy

Azamara Journey has two designated smoking areas. These areas are located in the aft section of the Looking Glass Lounge on the port side, and on the starboard forward section of the Pool Deck. Smoking areas have signs indicating that smoking is permitted there. All other areas of the ship are non-smoking. This includes Public Rooms, Restaurants, Pool Deck, Staterooms and Suites, Verandas and Halls.

Additionally, there is a non-smoking policy on all components of the land tour portion of all Azamara Cruises cruisetour products. For the comfort of all of our guests, we request strict adherence to these policies, and thank all of our guests for their cooperation

DW smokes, I do not and wish she could stop. Nevertheless, we found that the Az policy was mutually acceptable. If you do go to the Looking Glass, enter and leave on starboard side and you'll be fine...the smoke seemd fairly well confined to the port side and mostly toward the rear of that venue. At the starboard forward pool area, it's a bit less of an issue, being outdoors, and I would say that again, the smoke was fairly limited to that area, depending on wind conditions and the number of smokers present, of course, but I believe (it's been a little over a year since we sailed on Journey, but we'll be sailing again in October) there were operable louvers in the window at the side of the pool deck that may help dissipate the smoke as well.

I think you'll enjoy a largely smoke-free environment on Az. For that matter (IMHO), I haven't had much to complain about with X either in this regard.

Cabo

Hello we are from Germany,

we booked the azamara journey and we found it crazy that we can not smoke on our own balcony.

On all other cruiselines it is allowd to smoke on it.

Inside no smoking is ok. but outside ?

One side of the ship for smokers and the other side for no-smokers is the better way.

Crepmen:mad:

Hello we are from Germany,

we booked the azamara journey and we found it crazy that we can not smoke on our own balcony.

On all other cruiselines it is allowd to smoke on it.

Inside no smoking is ok. but outside ?

One side of the ship for smokers and the other side for no-smokers is the better way.

Crepmen:mad:

I'm not sure you'll find much support on this particular board. Many people choose Azamara at least partially because of the very limited smoking.

A few other cruise lines also prohibit smoking on balconies, so you might want to check this if booking future cruises on other lines!

Lisa

The time i booked the azamara journey smoking on the balcony was not forbitten.

They chanced it after my booking and we get not all the money back.

We are free Germans and we dont like these.

Greatings from Germany Crepmen

I don't know when you booked, but our first Azamara Cruise was in January, 2008, and the current smoking policy was certainly in effect then, and well publicized. Your Nationality and politcal philosophy have no bearing on the issue; the rules are clearly stated and have been in place for quite some time.

My advice is to read the rules carefully and to follow them; otherwise you run the risk of standing on the dock and watching the ship sail over the horizon without you.....Azamara's smoking policy is one of it's strongest selling points to a lot of people and most passegers want the Line to continue to enforce it strictly.

It apparently has happened.

I don't know when you booked, but our first Azamara Cruise was in January, 2008, and the current smoking policy was certainly in effect then, and well publicized. Your Nationality and politcal philosophy have no bearing on the issue; the rules are clearly stated and have been in place for quite some time.

My advice is to read the rules carefully and to follow them; otherwise you run the risk of standing on the dock and watching the ship sail over the horizon without you.....Azamara's smoking policy is one of it's strongest selling points to a lot of people and most passegers want the Line to continue to enforce it strictly.

It apparently has happened.

Well said. :);):D

Crepmen:

I suggest you take a Star Clipper cruise. We were on the Star Clipper in Thailand in December '08 and it was full of heavily smoking Germans, over half the pax. They smoked all over the ship, even in prohibited areas and no one stopped them. I doubt I'll ever sail with them again because of all the smoking.

Hello, yes we cruised with the Star Clipper in 02.08 Thailand also.

But nobody smoked inside of the ship. Only outside.

And outside its ok.

I know no Cruiseline where we can not smoke on the own balkony.

Only Azamara and Celebrity.

But you can be sure - we don`t stand on the pier . Smokers are not killers.

Bye Crepmen

We were on the 12/18 Journey Panama Canal cruise. Although smoking in the Looking Glass was confined to a small area, by the end of the cruise, it had permeated most of the lounge. Part of the problem was that the ashtrays weren't cleared away on a regular basis, and they ran a single small air freshener a couple of times, which simply couldn't handle the job. We meant to comment on it to the front desk, but forgot to do so. With any luck, somebody else did.

Otherwise, it was simply blissful to be able to walk around the other public areas without getting a lungful. :)

And outside its ok

No it isn't. Read the rules again.

Actually, you obviously know two cruise lines that restrict smoking, and your friends here on the Boards have suggested several more, so you have broadened your knowledge base today.

Smokers are not killers.

Actually, they are. I suggest that you try a Google search for "Smoking as a Health Hazard" for starters. As a doctor, I can assure you that the evidence is overwhelming that Smoking is a very serious hazard to not only your health, but the health of those in your immediate vicinity.

All real, don't kid yourself about this one.

Hello, yes we cruised with the Star Clipper in 02.08 Thailand also.

But nobody smoked inside of the ship. Only outside.

And outside its ok.

But you can be sure - we don`t stand on the pier . Smokers are not killers.

Bye Crepmen

Oceania has the same smoking rules which is why we like them!

Regent is another line where you are not allowed to smoke on your balcony. I think Holland America, too, but not sure. Pretty soon it will not be allowed on any ship, in or out.

Unfortunately Holland America still permits smoking on balconies. We were on Westerdam in December, and it dampened our enjoyment of our balcony by having smokers on each side and below us. We are pleased with the policy adopted by Celebrity and Azamara.

Gerry

Hi Andy. I would that you were right, but I just checked the Princess site after I read your post, and they do permit smoking in Staterooms, balconies, essentially everywhere except food service areas. Here's a link to the source:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/care.jsp

I tried to cut and paste the quote, but their site wouldn't allow it.

I thought that this might be the case; we had wanted to take a cruise with some good friends of ours but the smoking policy turnned me off so we ended up on the Connie instead.

Best Regards,

Ed

I don't think I saw Crystal listed here yet. According to their website, they don't allow smoking on balconies, either.

"Smoking will no longer be allowed in Starlite Club (aboard Crystal Symphony) and on verandahs of all staterooms and Suites aboard both Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity."

http://www.crystalcruises.com/onboard.aspx?ID=6#id82

I had read recently that, at least amongst Americans, the higher the income, the lower the likihood of smoking-- the top segment in the poll reported only 1 in 10 people to be smokers: http://www.gallup.com/poll/105550/Among-Americans-Smoking-Decreases-Income-Increases.aspx

Do we think this is why it is primarily the higher end cruise lines who are most dramatically curtailing smoking on board? It is a trend I am happy to see, but given than less than 1 in 4 americans smoke, and possibly fewer than 1 in 6 with a lot of disposable income smoke, I'm surprised smoking is as permitted as it is on mainstream lines.

I had read recently that, at least amongst Americans, the higher the income, the lower the likihood of smoking-- the top segment in the poll reported only 1 in 10 people to be smokers: http://www.gallup.com/poll/105550/Among-Americans-Smoking-Decreases-Income-Increases.aspx

Do we think this is why it is primarily the higher end cruise lines who are most dramatically curtailing smoking on board? It is a trend I am happy to see, but given than less than 1 in 4 americans smoke, and possibly fewer than 1 in 6 with a lot of disposable income smoke, I'm surprised smoking is as permitted as it is on mainstream lines.

I just think that this is such a hot topic that no one wants to jump into anything until enough people scream and show more interest in this area.

Basing this on social or otherwise situations may not necessary be the answer, but rather just a trend of the times.

Hi Andy. I would that you were right, but I just checked the Princess site after I read your post, and they do permit smoking in Staterooms, balconies, essentially everywhere except food service areas. Here's a link to the source:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/care.jsp

I tried to cut and paste the quote, but their site wouldn't allow it.

I thought that this might be the case; we had wanted to take a cruise with some good friends of ours but the smoking policy turnned me off so we ended up on the Connie instead.

Best Regards,

Ed

Hi Ed !

You are correct. I'm surprised Princess still allows it (for reasons other than smoking that I do not care to re-hash), but their policy says they do. Thanks for sharing the information.

Archived