Smoking policy

pijod

I would add that any benefit to the cigar-smoker is probably marginal, IMHO......just about the worst thing that I can imagine is a cigar-smoker who had a large meal of beans or some other colonically active food.......;)

I know I'm going to regret jumping into the middle of a smoking thread, but I just couldn't let this pass...

You are mixing together two different concepts: discrimination against a *person* and discrimination against an *activity*. None of Azamara's rules in any way discriminate against a smoker. Smokers are welcome in any part of the ship, at any activities, etc. The only discrimination is against the *activity* of smoking. That activity is allowed in only two limited areas. But as long as smokers are not actively engaged in smoking at the moment, they are unrestricted in any way. This is vastly different from the historical discrimination you reference; that discrimination was against people based on race or religion, and was a permanent discrimination, not limited to short periods of activity. A better analogy is making love -- Azamara limits the areas where that's allowed (staterooms only), but allows the lovemakers among us to otherwise freely use the ship, as long as we're not actively making love.:)

Doug

I love your post! You made my day.

A better analogy is making love -- Azamara limits the areas where that's allowed (staterooms only), but allows the lovemakers among us to otherwise freely use the ship, as long as we're not actively making love.:)

Doug

WHAT????? That's it, I'm cancelling my cruise! My brochure doesn't say anything about that!:eek::eek::D

• 2 weeks later...

...Perhaps you'll even save enough money to take another cruise.....hope it works out that way for you.

You assume I need to save money to cruise. Hmmmm. Not the case actually. Quitting smoking has never been an economic necessity for me. (I am not bragging, just clarifying and stating a fact)

Thank you all for your congratulations. I am still smoke free.

• 1 month later...

LisiaMC and Doug: WELL SAID!

I have already lost one parent to lung disease and the other is on the way. Real sexy when your parents spend a year or two with 30% lung capacity pushing their oxygen machine around. I am sure this isn't how they had planned their golden years. Just struggling to breathe!

Honestly, I believe I should be able to breathe air free of cigarette smoke at all times. That should be my right. If you want to smoke...smoke, but you CANNOT dirty the air of others. You just cannot.

Look at the statistics of deaths while driving under the influence compared to those of second hand smoke. Very similar. If I lost a loved one to someone who was driving under the influence I would be livid, and who knows what I would do, but it wouldn't be nice. When I have to smell someones cigarette smoke because they cannot control their behavior or they just don't care, I am beginning to have the same challenges.

I have been working in the health and fitness industry for over twenty years. And I am astonished at the number of people who still want to say it just comes down to our genes and our lifestyle as little to nothing to do with it. Yes, there are cultures that smoke, and drink for that matter, and live to be centenarians. But, they smoked and drank less and their tobacco was of a better quality. You honestly think the Native Americans were smoking at the level and the low quality that the majority of the addicts smoke at today? Please don't compare apples and oranges. That whole concept of "it's in the genes" is what has made the US focus on drugs and procedurs as a healthcare model. Wow...that has really worked out well. As tax payers, we should NOT have to pay for those who consistently make bad choices with their health. It isn't ALL in the genes.

In closing: Conscientious Smoker is an Oxymoron. Once I smell your smoke, you are no longer conscientious. Smokers had a good run. But their days of getting their way are over.

It looks like there are some Phillip Morris and Big Pharma employees and share holders on this thread. They should be proud.

• 2 weeks later...
LisiaMC and Doug: WELL SAID!

I have already lost one parent to lung disease and the other is on the way. Real sexy when your parents spend a year or two with 30% lung capacity pushing their oxygen machine around. I am sure this isn't how they had planned their golden years. Just struggling to breathe!

Honestly, I believe I should be able to breathe air free of cigarette smoke at all times. That should be my right. If you want to smoke...smoke, but you CANNOT dirty the air of others. You just cannot.

Look at the statistics of deaths while driving under the influence compared to those of second hand smoke. Very similar. If I lost a loved one to someone who was driving under the influence I would be livid, and who knows what I would do, but it wouldn't be nice. When I have to smell someones cigarette smoke because they cannot control their behavior or they just don't care, I am beginning to have the same challenges.

I have been working in the health and fitness industry for over twenty years. And I am astonished at the number of people who still want to say it just comes down to our genes and our lifestyle as little to nothing to do with it. Yes, there are cultures that smoke, and drink for that matter, and live to be centenarians. But, they smoked and drank less and their tobacco was of a better quality. You honestly think the Native Americans were smoking at the level and the low quality that the majority of the addicts smoke at today? Please don't compare apples and oranges. That whole concept of "it's in the genes" is what has made the US focus on drugs and procedurs as a healthcare model. Wow...that has really worked out well. As tax payers, we should NOT have to pay for those who consistently make bad choices with their health. It isn't ALL in the genes.

In closing: Conscientious Smoker is an Oxymoron. Once I smell your smoke, you are no longer conscientious. Smokers had a good run. But their days of getting their way are over.

It looks like there are some Phillip Morris and Big Pharma employees and share holders on this thread. They should be proud.

my dearest zoolander,

do you REALLY think it's the smokers who are dirtying your air and killing with sidestream smoke?? smokers are an easy target because they're SO handy, and ya can SMELL em too!! better look at the transportation industry kid; and the coal burning electric plants and heavy industry. it's a sh*tp*it out there kiddo--do yerself a favor--MOVE TO ANTARCTICA QUICK!!! lighting up now. regards johnny

"my dearest zoolander,

do you REALLY think it's the smokers who are dirtying your air and killing with sidestream smoke?? smokers are an easy target because they're SO handy, and ya can SMELL em too!! better look at the transportation industry kid; and the coal burning electric plants and heavy industry. it's a sh*tp*it out there kiddo--do yerself a favor--MOVE TO ANTARCTICA QUICK!!! lighting up now. regards johnny"

Well, John, It may take a while for us to fix the pollution problems of the transportation and power industries; it will take us no time at all to fix any smoke-related issues that you cause on an Azamara Ship.

Wave bye-bye to the Pretty Boat, John........

my dearest zoolander,

do you REALLY think it's the smokers who are dirtying your air and killing with sidestream smoke?? smokers are an easy target because they're SO handy, and ya can SMELL em too!! better look at the transportation industry kid; and the coal burning electric plants and heavy industry. it's a sh*tp*it out there kiddo--do yerself a favor--MOVE TO ANTARCTICA QUICK!!! lighting up now. regards johnny

And that big smokestack on top of the ship.

"my dearest zoolander,

do you REALLY think it's the smokers who are dirtying your air and killing with sidestream smoke?? smokers are an easy target because they're SO handy, and ya can SMELL em too!! better look at the transportation industry kid; and the coal burning electric plants and heavy industry. it's a sh*tp*it out there kiddo--do yerself a favor--MOVE TO ANTARCTICA QUICK!!! lighting up now. regards johnny"

Well, John, It may take a while for us to fix the pollution problems of the transportation and power industries; it will take us no time at all to fix any smoke-related issues that you cause on an Azamara Ship.

Wave bye-bye to the Pretty Boat, John........

ya can rent a 3BR villa on st. barths wifa cook car pool ocean views for less than a balcny cruz for 2. AND SMOKE YER BRAINS OUT!! having fun here johnny

Why is it when someone ask a question on smoking policies it gets into such a heated discussion :confused::confused:

Just answer the question & move on.

Just the facts

cause ya can bring yerself up by putting other people down!!!! please have a little sympathy for us poor addicts. we just CAN'T stop. oh my johnny

Second hand smoke has been proven to be damaging to the health of non-smokers:

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

I'll highlight one section of this:

"The current Surgeon General’s Report concluded that scientific evidence indicates that there is NO RISK-FREE LEVEL OF EXPOSURE to secondhand smoke."

It is not simply a matter of cigarette smoke being distasteful to many. The fact is that second hand smoke is dangerous to the health of others. I do not think I will ever understand how one can feel entitled to endanger the life of another. It is like an alcoholic arguing that they can drink and drive if they darn well please.

Like another contributor to this thread, I am a Physician. I see literally dozens of people dying as a direct result of their cigarette smoking habit / addiction each and every month. This goes on month after month and year after year. Lung cancer, head and neck cancer and emphysema (to pick just a few diseases directly related to smoking) are not nice ways to die. A smoker can choose to potentially kill themselves by inhaling an astounding combination of toxins but I think the least they can do is leave me and my loved ones out of it by keeping their smoke to themselves.

Second hand smoke has been proven to be damaging to the health of non-smokers:

http://www.lungusa.org/site/pp.asp?c=dvLUK9O0E&b=35422

I'll highlight one section of this:

"The current Surgeon General’s Report concluded that scientific evidence indicates that there is NO RISK-FREE LEVEL OF EXPOSURE to secondhand smoke."

It is not simply a matter of cigarette smoke being distasteful to many. The fact is that second hand smoke is dangerous to the health of others. I do not think I will ever understand how one can feel entitled to endanger the life of another. It is like an alcoholic arguing that they can drink and drive if they darn well please.

Like another contributor to this thread, I am a Physician. I see literally dozens of people dying as a direct result of their cigarette smoking habit / addiction each and every month. This goes on month after month and year after year. Lung cancer, head and neck cancer and emphysema (to pick just a few diseases directly related to smoking) are not nice ways to die. A smoker can choose to potentially kill themselves by inhaling an astounding combination of toxins but I think the least they can do is leave me and my loved ones out of it by keeping their smoke to themselves.

i think most honest smokers would readily admit they are addicted for life and cant stop. i know i do.

it w/b nice that instead of banning us (and abandoning us) ya could SET ASIDE some ship's cabins for smokers and ONE lounge onboard for smokers(we like to drink too!!). i believe even a small town could allow ONE tavern/restaurant for smokers to have a respite from the onslaught. have a little mercy on us PLEASE.

BTW--if ya wanta take your mind offa us smoke devils, go to the u.s. govt. study on what's still in your TAP WATER when ya fill yer glass. i tell ya, sidestream smoke is a drop in the bucket compared to all the other dreadful things the govt is letting your body take in. ever read the dept. of agculture's study on cattle/poultry hormones and additives to animal feed? it'll scare ya right quick. ever read what's in your can of string beans??

we're in an industrialized society here folks, and the govt has ACCEPTABLE RISK LEVELS (death percents) for every bad thing your body is taking in. many are far worse than sidestream smoke. goin to he!! ina bucket. regards johnny

Jonny: You miss the point entirely.:mad:

YOU provide the second-hand smoke to others while others can choose to drink the water or eat the meat or whatever. There are plenty of cruise-lines that will provide you the smoking spaces you want, try one of them.

BTW--if ya wanta take your mind offa us smoke devils, go to the u.s. govt. study on what's still in your TAP WATER when ya fill yer glass. i tell ya, sidestream smoke is a drop in the bucket compared to all the other dreadful things the govt is letting your body take in. ever read the dept. of agculture's study on cattle/poultry hormones and additives to animal feed? it'll scare ya right quick. ever read what's in your can of string beans??

As I said in my initial post on the issue, I see people who are dying as a result of their smoking habit / addiction each and every day.

So far to my knowedge, I have yet to see a single person in my practice who is dying as a direct result of drinking their local tap water while eating a steak with a side of canned string beans. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the oncoming epidemic though.;)

Of course, bringing up these other issues is just a distration from the actual issue being discusssed here: second hand smoke. There are lots of things that endanger people's health. The fact is that tobacco use is the "SINGLE MOST PREVENTABLE CAUSE OF DISEASE, DISABILITY AND DEATH IN THE UNITED STATES. Each year, an estimated 443,000 people die prematurely from smoking or exposure to SECONDHAND SMOKE, and another 8.6 million have a serious illness caused by smoking."

(Source: http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/publications/aag/osh.htm ).

The second paragraph in the above link is also quite pertinent to the discussion at hand:

"The HARMFUL EFFECTS of smoking DO NOT END WITH THE SMOKER. More than 126 million nonsmoking Americans, including CHILDREN and adults, are regularly exposed to SECONDHAND SMOKE. Even BRIEF EXPOSURE CAN BE DANGEROUS because nonsmokers inhale many of the same carcinogens and toxins in cigarette smoke as smokers. SECONDHAND SMOKE exposure CAUSES SERIOUS DEATH AND DISEASE, including heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmoking adults and sudden infant death syndrome, acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more frequent and severe asthma attacks in children. EACH YEAR, primarily because of exposure to SECONDHAND SMOKE, an ESTIMATED 3,000 NONSMOKING AMERICANS DIE OF LUNG CANCER, more than 46,000 (range: 22,700–69,600) DIE OF HEART DISEASE, and about 150,000–300,000 CHILDREN younger than 18 months have lower respiratory tract infections."

It is hard to take those smokers who argue that second hand smoke is nothing more than a slight irritent to those non-smokers around them seriously.

The second paragraph in the above link is also quite pertinent to the discussion at hand:

"The HARMFUL EFFECTS of smoking DO NOT END WITH THE SMOKER. More than 126 million nonsmoking Americans, including CHILDREN and adults, are regularly exposed to SECONDHAND SMOKE. Even BRIEF EXPOSURE CAN BE DANGEROUS because nonsmokers inhale many of the same carcinogens and toxins in cigarette smoke as smokers. SECONDHAND SMOKE exposure CAUSES SERIOUS DEATH AND DISEASE, including heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmoking adults and sudden infant death syndrome, acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more frequent and severe asthma attacks in children. EACH YEAR, primarily because of exposure to SECONDHAND SMOKE, an ESTIMATED 3,000 NONSMOKING AMERICANS DIE OF LUNG CANCER, more than 46,000 (range: 22,700–69,600) DIE OF HEART DISEASE, and about 150,000–300,000 CHILDREN younger than 18 months have lower respiratory tract infections."

It is hard to take those smokers who argue that second hand smoke is nothing more than a slight irritent to those non-smokers around them seriously.

So what does this have to do with the op's question?

So what does this have to do with the op's question?

The question in the original post :

"Our question is about the smoking policy on the Journey."

This question was answered in less than ten minutes with the facts:

"Azamara Journey has two designated smoking areas. These areas are located in the aft section of the Looking Glass Lounge on the port side, and on the starboard forward section of the Pool Deck. Smoking areas have signs indicating that smoking is permitted there. All other areas of the ship are non-smoking. This includes Public Rooms, Restaurants, Pool Deck, Staterooms and Suites, Verandas and Halls.

Additionally, there is a non-smoking policy on all components of the land tour portion of all Azamara Cruises cruisetour products. For the comfort of all of our guests, we request strict adherence to these policies, and thank all of our guests for their cooperation."

Since then there have been multiple posts with frank misinformation such as:

"The reality is that cigarette smoke is less harmful than all the crap in the air one comes in contact with on a daily basis."

"Anyone ever have their cruise ruined by too much perfume??? It's more annoying than smoke, IMO."

"If one is predisposed to get lung cancer then one will get it whether one has smoked or not. There are people who HAVE smoked all their lives and never get lung cancer. Just as there are people who have NEVER smoked and gotten lung cancer."

"do you REALLY think it's the smokers who are dirtying your air and killing with sidestream smoke??"

"we're in an industrialized society here folks, and the govt has ACCEPTABLE RISK LEVELS (death percents) for every bad thing your body is taking in. many are far worse than sidestream smoke."

So in short, I am just trying to supply some factual information as I believe misinformation is dangerous and thus should be corrected.

EACH YEAR, primarily because of exposure to SECONDHAND SMOKE, an ESTIMATED 3,000 NONSMOKING AMERICANS DIE OF LUNG CANCER, more than 46,000 (range: 22,700–69,600) DIE OF HEART DISEASE, and about 150,000–300,000 CHILDREN younger than 18 months have lower respiratory tract infections."

Frisco...Who makes these "estimates" ? Most likely some anti-smoking organization..right?

FYI...I quit 10 years ago after smoking for thirty years...Hope it was in time! I am not advocating smoking anywhere and everywhereand anytime one wants but I think restrictions have gone way over the top.

For the life of me I can't understand how someone smoking on a balcony with a ship cruising at 15 knots can effect anyone,

On principle,I object to government telling owners of bars and restaurants that they cannot allow smoking in their establishment,if they so desire.

No one is forcing non-smokers to visit these smoking enclaves.

BTW..How many patients have you had pass away where YOU can directly attribute it to second hand smoke?

Archived