Coast Guard Searching for Overboard Carnival Employee

Sherrybaby412

Such a sad thing, and to find out it might have been his own fault makes it even sadder. Amazes me what people will do.

Yes, but a large percentage of deaths can be attributed to things that people do to themselves... now that we have this young man's friends and probably friends visiting this site, i'm sure they would love and welcome our support and best wishes for finding him at this time... I'm sure it is very difficult for all of them... 25 is way too young, and you never think it can happen to you :(

Yes, but a large percentage of deaths can be attributed to things that people do to themselves... now that we have this young man's friends and probably friends visiting this site, i'm sure they would love and welcome our support and best wishes for finding him at this time... I'm sure it is very difficult for all of them... 25 is way too young, and you never think it can happen to you :(

Agreed 100%. Hope he is found, best wishes to his family and friends.

Antonio is a dear friend of mine. We met in 2002 while performing in a production of the musical Godspell directed by Jonathon Jimenez for the Youth Cultural Arts Foundation in Bellflower, California.

Antonio , Jonathon and I instantly became the 3 amigos. And would go onto to write produce cheoreograph and star in "A small town christmas" often rehearsing in Jonathons backyard and performing the show in an Local English Pub ....two years later we would go onto to perform the show with a full cast, in a real theatre and selling out every performance.

Antonio and my birthday are a day apart him feb 8th mine feb 9th. One year we passed the torch of celebration at midnite from the 8th to the 9th..... And for this to happen around midnite from the year 08 to 09 is so surreal.

Antonio and I even drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco to audition for American Idol season 4.

Antonio would then land a job dancing for Disney theme parks in southern california and then was hired as the lead singer for carnival cruise lines.

Thank you to all who are sending good energy to Antonio. We PRAY for him and we LOVE him!!!!!

Jules Sanchez

Jules -

I am sure I speak for many when I say that I am glad that you game to our message boards and posted.

I am very sorry for what you and all of your friends are going through right now.

Please let the crew know that you are in many peoples thoughts and prayers.

The coast guard has stopped the search. This is tragic and sad; from what I understand apparently he was not standing by the railing but rather on it? Unfortunately from the reports I've read it was an 8 story fall and hitting the water any other position besides feet first may have broken bones. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jan/03/coast-guard-calls-search-missing-cruise-ship-worke/

The coast guard has stopped the search. This is tragic and sad; from what I understand apparently he was not standing by the railing but rather on it? Unfortunately from the reports I've read it was an 8 story fall and hitting the water any other position besides feet first may have broken bones. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/jan/03/coast-guard-calls-search-missing-cruise-ship-worke/

That is what other passengers have said so far...

And I don't think there is any question that he sustained broken bones, from that height, with the weather conditions... which may explain why he couldn't get the life jackets thrown out... it's very tragic indeed... I know that everyone did all they could, it's just very sad a matter of a few seconds could have made such a difference... so sad :(

quoted from the article:

"Eyewitnesses said 25-year-old Antonio Matabang of California was off-duty

standing on a railing for a photo,

when he fell an estimated 82 feet into the ocean"

What the hell was he thinking? ===> Was he thinking?

I'm thinking there may have been alcohol involved to make a decision like that, in the first place..? :cool:

Antonio is a dear friend of mine. We met in 2002 while performing in a production of the musical Godspell directed by Jonathon Jimenez for the Youth Cultural Arts Foundation in Bellflower, California.

Antonio , Jonathon and I instantly became the 3 amigos. And would go onto to write produce cheoreograph and star in "A small town christmas" often rehearsing in Jonathons backyard and performing the show in an Local English Pub ....two years later we would go onto to perform the show with a full cast, in a real theatre and selling out every performance.

Antonio and my birthday are a day apart him feb 8th mine feb 9th. One year we passed the torch of celebration at midnite from the 8th to the 9th..... And for this to happen around midnite from the year 08 to 09 is so surreal.

Antonio and I even drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco to audition for American Idol season 4.

Antonio would then land a job dancing for Disney theme parks in southern california and then was hired as the lead singer for carnival cruise lines.

Thank you to all who are sending good energy to Antonio. We PRAY for him and we LOVE him!!!!!

Jules Sanchez

My condolences on the loss of your dear friend. Life goes on....it's so sad that in a flash of a second a life is gone. May your memories of him console your grief.

I lost my DH just a few weeks ago and I know how much it hurts.

Jules, thank you for finding Cruise Critic and posting... my thoughts and prayers are going out... I know this is a very hard time for you, all of his friends and family. I've visited his Myspace page and he seems like a very vibrant and fun person, always with a smile... it's such a sad situation, and I pray for the best.

Is there a link to his myspace page?

My condolences on the loss of your dear friend. Life goes on....it's so sad that in a flash of a second a life is gone. May your memories of him console your grief.

I lost my DH just a few weeks ago and I know how much it hurts.

Sorry for your loss - I lost my DH 3 years ago. You'll have plenty of ups and downs, highs and lows to go through over the next year, and of course I'm sure you already know it won't be easy. Take your time and allow yourself to grieve at your own pace. Even though "time heals all wounds" is a chiche, it's still true.

The same to Jules and all of Antonio's friends. Try to take life one day (one moment) at a time, remembering his spirit and honoring him by continuing to live your life as best as you can until we meet our loved ones again someday.

A fall of 82 feet to the ocean isn't easily survivable. It knocks you unconscious and/or breaks bones. 82 feet is a long way to fall into water. Even though they were right there, no one saw him after he fell in which leads me to believe he wasn't conscious and didnt' stand a chance.

Jules Sanchez

I am so very sorry.

One thing about the crewman that went over the rail that I do not understand...

He was with 'friends'...why the heck didn't they stop him...regardless as to whether he was just fooling around and lost his footing..or..if he wanted out and jumped....they could have grabbed him off the rails or kept him talking til security had been alerted etc.

Carnival made a point at the senate discussion about how railings were effectively too high to just fall over them. The 'friends' of this individual threw a lifebelt to him after he went over the side, so why didn't they stop him from going...or at least try to stop him?

They probably play around like that all the time, never giving a thought to the fact that they might go overboard.

I wish people would stop with the "Well, that's what you get for playing on the railing" crap. Can you honestly say you've never done anything a bit risky? We all do these things - each and every single one of us. Maybe you don't stop fully at a stop sign. Drive to the corner store after a beer. Smoke a cigarette at the gas station. Use your hair dryer in a wet bathroom. Lean out an open window to hang Christmas lights outside. Get up on a ladder to paint your shutters. Talk on your cell phone while driving.

Not one person on CC or anywhere else can honestly say they've never done something on the risky side, so who are you to judge this person? Just because you've presumably been lucky and haven't had anything happen to you doesn't give you the right to knock this guy. Have some respect, please. How many hundreds of times a day do you think someone leans or sits on the railing of a boat and absolutely nothing bad happens? His actions weren't a death sentence. What happened was a tragedy, plain and simple and it was pretty much out of everyone's hands.

My thoughts and sympathies are with all of his family, friends, and co-workers. Let's concentrate on this, as some have been, rather than specualating on what could have been done differently. It happened, and scolding this young man's memory isn't going to help anyone.

I wish people would stop with the "Well, that's what you get for playing on the railing" crap. Can you honestly say you've never done anything a bit risky? We all do these things - each and every single one of us. Maybe you don't stop fully at a stop sign. Drive to the corner store after a beer. Smoke a cigarette at the gas station. Use your hair dryer in a wet bathroom. Lean out an open window to hang Christmas lights outside. Get up on a ladder to paint your shutters. Talk on your cell phone while driving.

Not one person on CC or anywhere else can honestly say they've never done something on the risky side, so who are you to judge this person? Just because you've presumably been lucky and haven't had anything happen to you doesn't give you the right to knock this guy. Have some respect, please. How many hundreds of times a day do you think someone leans or sits on the railing of a boat and absolutely nothing bad happens? His actions weren't a death sentence. What happened was a tragedy, plain and simple and it was pretty much out of everyone's hands.

My thoughts and sympathies are with all of his family, friends, and co-workers. Let's concentrate on this, as some have been, rather than specualating on what could have been done differently. It happened, and scolding this young man's memory isn't going to help anyone.

oh my god, another one. who said, "thats what you get"? dont make stuff up so you can stand on your soap box and point fingers at everyone else, geez!:rolleyes:

Jules Sanchez

I am so sorry for your loss and the loss of everyone else that cared about this young man.

By the looks of his MySpace page it looks like his contract was up 1/12/09 so he was probably getting excited to leave the ship. As a Stage Manager on a ship in the past I can tell you how close everyone is...my thoughts go out to his family, friends and to his fellow cast & crew mates.:(

My my

Archived