For Pete's Sake NCL! Change "freestyle" to ANYTHING else!

CruisinEurope

ok, now give us the name of one specailty dining room on one ship without a charge? Freestyle is a word, it doesn't mean Free, it means free to choose...You know that as well as most others...

Nita

Ok right back at you... F3 is coming up... no main dining room... so are you willing to believe that there will be COSTFREE choices to eat besides the buffet? As a betting man, I bet there is a free buffet ONLY and 14 other "FEE" restaurants. Conjecture only, but the trend is definitely pointing my way.

As for your question, I believe that Windstar has a free alternative restuarant.

Lastly, as for calling people illiterate, how offensive. To the poster who suggests that the complainers are meerly illiterate, your lack of business acumen is telling. In reality, if NCLs slogan is not communicating the message accurately, then the slogan is poor. Having a protest saying "no, see, this is what it REALLY means" is not a successful business strategy. NCL needs to rework the marketing, not the product. The product is great, but obviously, a non-trivial number of custmers are getting the wrong impression. NOT GOOD.

To me, I do not think it is inappropriate to point out that the slogan is misleading to a significant number of customers. We all see the same complaints over and over on this board. The slogan is the problem.

Ok right back at you... F3 is coming up... no main dining room... so are you willing to believe that there will be COSTFREE choices to eat besides the buffet? As a betting man, I bet there is a free buffet ONLY and 14 other "FEE" restaurants. Conjecture only, but the trend is definitely pointing my way.

As for your question, I believe that Windstar has a free alternative restuarant.

Lastly, as for calling people illiterate, how offensive. To the poster who suggests that the complainers are meerly illiterate, your lack of business acumen is telling. In reality, if NCLs slogan is not communicating the message accurately, then the slogan is poor. Having a protest saying "no, see, this is what it REALLY means" is not a successful business strategy. NCL needs to rework the marketing, not the product. The product is great, but obviously, a non-trivial number of custmers are getting the wrong impression. NOT GOOD.

To me, I do not think it is inappropriate to point out that the slogan is misleading to a significant number of customers. We all see the same complaints over and over on this board. The slogan is the problem.

I wasn't referring to luxury cruise lines, but mass marketed one. some luxury liners also offer free booze or at least free wine. The specialty dining charges refer to the lines most of us cruise..

As for the f-3 concept, this is something either you nor I have a clue about. You could be right, but we will know in 18 months, my bet is you are not right. What will be offered I have no idea but I do not think every restaurant will come with a price tag.

Changing the logo and marketing slogan would be a nightmare at this time. I am not going to go so far as to say, anyone who think "Freestyle" means free is illerate (I didn't know anyone said that) I will go along with a few others who feel anyone who thinks "freestyle" means "free" is very niave.

Nita

Frankly, I'm really tired of hearing this baloney. Those who interpret the word "freestyle" to mean free of costs, simply have no concept of the English language.

CG

So I'm not gonna get a 'free' cruise? ;)

If the F3s have only the buffet included with all other restaurants incurring a fee, that knowledge will be available to customers BEFORE they purchase the product - just as the restaurants currently available are described now. Anyone who gets on with other expectations will be responsible for their own ignorance.

As for the term 'illiterate' being offensive, I disagree. It is, in my opinion, exactly the correct term for describing people who cannot comprehend the actual definition of a word, whether by ignorance or by design. It is absolutely NOT NCL's fault that so many people misinterpret it; if you don't understand the English language, you should buy yourself a good dictionary. Is it the Vatican's fault that I don't understand Latin? My daughter has a friend that complains that she has to carry a dictionary to understand what's being said sometimes, and you know what? At 11 years old, she actually USES the dictionary to look up words she doesn't know and better herself. So by your argument, rather than follow the lead of a child, all the masses should be coddled by having ad campaigns 'dumbed down' to their substandard level of comprehension.

Truth be told, I actually do NOT believe that the problem is illiteracy (although wow, have any of these people heard of spell check?) or language barrier or any other comprehension issue. I think most of the whiners CHOOSE to misuse the word to 'support' their complaints. Apparently freedom of choice suits them when they want it to. :)

And then there are the folks who interpret "freestyle" to mean they can dress in shorts, tank tops and flipflops and barge into dinner straight off their day-tripping (without cleaning up and at least covering up some of the skin!).

People just have to read through the websites and brochures of the cruise lines they're interested in...if not boards like this one...before they book and go. Maybe they'd get a better understanding of what they're encountering. Or not.

I'll take that bet. Would love to know where you are getting your info as no one knows what's going on with the

F3's right now.

Lastly, as for calling people illiterate, how offensive.

There was more then one of us that said that. And, no matter how offended you may be, facts are facts. Anyone who truly believes that freestyle in any way indicates "free" is illiterate..plain and simple.

To the poster who suggests that the complainers are meerly illiterate, your lack of business acumen is telling. In reality, if NCLs slogan is not communicating the message accurately, then the slogan is poor. Having a protest saying "no, see, this is what it REALLY means" is not a successful business strategy. NCL needs to rework the marketing, not the product. The product is great, but obviously, a non-trivial number of custmers are getting the wrong impression. NOT GOOD.

Intelligent people have no issue with NCL's Freestyle slogan. What is so hard to understand about it? It's excellent in my opinion. Of course, I am of normal intelligence.

No, people's ignorance is the problem. And it's not a "significant number of customers". It's a few whiners who either 1) don't understand it in the first place and make no attempt to do some research prior to sailing or 2) understand perfectly well but use it as an excuse to complain. And for what it's worth, like CanadianTwosome, I think there are a lot more of the 2nd kind then the first.

CG

I think I read somewhere on these boards that only about 2% of cruisers actually read and post on the boards. JMHO, but I think some who post complaints or issues they have had on their cruises might just be looking for a place to vent their frustrations.

They probably do a search of how to complain online and land here thinking that is what the board was designed for.:eek:

I have no problem with the term "Freestyle". I know what it means and I love it. I just ignore those who either can't figure it out or choose not to in order to advance their own agenda. This doesn't include those who do understand what it's all about and simply don't like it. I have no problem with them since Freestyle's not for everybody.

I run a supermarket and when Kraft "Free" dressing came out, a gentleman complained that he was charged for it because it is supposed to be free. I thought he was joking and was kidding around with him until it became obvious that he was SERIOUS!!! He was very angry and upset and was going to report us to the BBB for misleading advertising.

These people are everywhere. :)

I run a supermarket and when Kraft "Free" dressing came out, a gentleman complained that he was charged for it because it is supposed to be free. I thought he was joking and was kidding around with him until it became obvious that he was SERIOUS!!! He was very angry and upset and was going to report us to the BBB for misleading advertising.

OMG!

That is HILARIOUS (and a bit sad too!)

Have never stepped foot on a NCL ship since Freestyle but never thought it meant everything was free. I also know if I want to get my choice of reservations in the restaurant I want to go to I need to call early to book it.

The way the NCL advertises their product is very clear to understand or I can go on the NCL CC site and ask questions and so far I have received some great information from CC.

Not sure how anyone can confuse Freestyle with anything else then what it means and this is from someone who has not been on an NCL ship with Freestyle...all though that changes as of 11/09 and by the way I like the name it is catchy.

its also a line from the First Back to a future....

what do you want?

Can I have a tab?

You haven't ordered anything so I can't start a tab?

well then can I have a pepsi free?

No you can have a pepsi but will have to pay for it....

[quote name='martinchem']How about Fee Style. I can remember when the mexican and italian restaurants didn't charge a fee to eat there![/quote]
I remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon and a loaf of bread cost a nickel. Maps were free at gas stations. Get over it.

[quote name='cheshiremackat']Ok right back at you... F3 is coming up... no main dining room... so are you willing to believe that there will be COSTFREE choices to eat besides the buffet? As a betting man, I bet there is a free buffet ONLY and 14 other "FEE" restaurants. Conjecture only, but the trend is definitely pointing my way.

[/quote]
Here's someone whining about something he's conjecturing. That may be the ultimate in half-empty thinking. Of course, some people specialize in that.

And price a Windstar cruise, pal, before comparing what you get with NCL.

Unbelievable.

First off, i am not a fan of Freestyle, just a personal opinion, does not work well with me. That being said though, people that actually equate the term "Freestyle" to mean "Free" cost wise, really do need there heads examined, and i second the poster that said they need to relearn english or at least stay away from any word longer than 4 letters all together.

Freestyle to me, common sense wise, and this is only going by the commercials i have seen for NCL means you are "Free" to wear what you want to where you want when you want. Which i do have to add, regardless of what everyone says as far as any sort of wait time, how "oh, when your go out to a local restaurant at home, you have to wait don't you". Well, this is a totally moot point in my book. Most of the people who complain about it are taking there first NCL cruise, and have only been on traditional type cruises in the past, given this, the waits are totally unexpected and can be frustrating.

One more touch on the being able to wear what you want when you want where you want. While im not saying these things are not documented on the NCL website and in brochures, they can be very confusing when you get on the ship and find out that its not ALL that way like the commercials lead you to believe. There are different rules for each dining venue. And again, coming from a traditional type of cruise, it can almost be overwhelming causing the enjoyment factor to drop.

Alright im done rambling, these are just MHO.

Happy Cruising!

• Administrators
There's a reason that lighters now have warning stickers on them that they get hot and can burn. There's a reason knife sets have warning stickers on them that they should be kept out of children's reach. There's a reason your blow dryer says "do not use in bathtub." There's a reason the Liquid PlumbR bottle has a label saying "do not use empty bottle to store beverages." There's a reason hair coloring says "not for internal use."

There's a reason thousands of lawyers have become rich off of advertising/product liability claims -- and a reason states and the federal government consider tort reform every year.

The reason is -- some people lack common sense. That's it, in a nutshell. When everything was being handed out, these people were behind the door for the common sense distribution. From time to time, these people pop up here on the boards.

For these people, it wouldn't matter WHAT NCL chose as the "catchphrase" for their style of "you choose" cruising -- SOMEONE is going to be a moron about it. If they called it "you choose cruising" -- someone would come here to whine about how they didn't realize that if they CHOSE the steakhouse, they'd have to PAY for the steakhouse.

There's no satisfactory-to-everyone solution here -- some people are flat uneducable. Anyone with half a grain of common sense knows that all 12 or so restaurants onboard couldn't seat everyone on the ship instantly when they "chose." NCL doesn't hide surcharges on restaurants either on their website or in their cruise materials and brochures -- but some folks can't be bothered to read. Doing a google search brings up tons of threads about all of this information -- but some people can't be bothered to hit the web until they RETURN from their cruise -- generating the common reply here -- "I'm SO sorry you didn't find this site BEFORE your cruise."

Heck, on the plus side, these people keep lawyers (and doctors! and sometimes funeral directors!) in business -- maybe they are an economic stimulus package? And they sure do make for interesting reading here from time to time!

Talk about taking semantics to the limit. I had no illusions that everything on the cruise would be free when I booked it. Anyone who books a cruise thinking that everything on board is free needs to read these boards.

[quote name='MichellP']There's a reason that lighters now have warning stickers on them that they get hot and can burn. There's a reason knife sets have warning stickers on them that they should be kept out of children's reach. There's a reason your blow dryer says "do not use in bathtub." There's a reason the Liquid PlumbR bottle has a label saying "do not use empty bottle to store beverages." There's a reason hair coloring says "not for internal use."[/quote]
Cr*p! And I was going to save time before going out tonight by drinking my hair color in the hope of covering my roots better from the inside out.:D:D:D

[quote name='CruisinEurope']I know that you all thought it was clever - and MOST of us get it.

However there are some that just ASSUME since the word "free" is in there - that everything must be FREE. Which, of course, is not what you were referring to.

You, of course, meant that we are

[B]free [/B]to choose when, where, and with whom we'd like to eat vs. being told when, where, and with whom to eat (like in summer camp, or the military, or high school for that matter) like on most every other cruiseline out there.

All those negative reviews out there from people b*$%ing that they have to PAY for their CHOICE of eating in a specialty restaurant that was - gasp! - advertised that way when they booked their cruise - - just ANNOY the living daylights out of me.

I mean - REALLY! (man, I think SNL could do a whole skit about this!)

You don't see nearly the amount of people moaning about other line's "free choice" dining option -- and I think this is because they more cleverly named it using things that don't use the word "free"

So - help me out here people, what should NCL rename "freestyle" cruising to so that morons won't think that it means the cruise is FREE?

I'll take the first stab:

NCL's "Myriad of Choices" dining (except, those that think "Freestyle" means $0, probably don't know what myriad means either so I guess we're back to the drawing boards....)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm[/quote]

How about finding something else to whine about.... its their logo so live with it

[quote name='mbisson']So I'm not gonna get a 'free' cruise? ;)[/QUOTE]

You haven't been able to win one in all these years.... you may just want to give it up... the only person unluckier than you buddy is ME!

[quote name='MichellP']There's a reason that lighters now have warning stickers on them that they get hot and can burn. There's a reason knife sets have warning stickers on them that they should be kept out of children's reach. There's a reason your blow dryer says "do not use in bathtub." There's a reason the Liquid PlumbR bottle has a label saying "do not use empty bottle to store beverages." There's a reason hair coloring says "not for internal use."

There's a reason thousands of lawyers have become rich off of advertising/product liability claims -- and a reason states and the federal government consider tort reform every year.

The reason is -- some people lack common sense. That's it, in a nutshell. When everything was being handed out, these people were behind the door for the common sense distribution. From time to time, these people pop up here on the boards.

For these people, it wouldn't matter WHAT NCL chose as the "catchphrase" for their style of "you choose" cruising -- SOMEONE is going to be a moron about it. If they called it "you choose cruising" -- someone would come here to whine about how they didn't realize that if they CHOSE the steakhouse, they'd have to PAY for the steakhouse.

There's no satisfactory-to-everyone solution here -- some people are flat uneducable.

Heck, on the plus side, these people keep lawyers (and doctors! and sometimes funeral directors!) in business -- maybe they are an economic stimulus package? And they sure do make for interesting reading here from time to time![/QUOTE]

I agree... so many people are just MORONS! They don't an ounce of sense.

When we cover civil law in class, we have a whole list of famous dumb lawsuits that we share. Some examples:

1.) the most famous being the lady who bought coffee through the McDonald's Drive through, put the cup between her legs and drove off. Of course it spilled and burned her and she sued McDonalds (and won) for not telling her the coffee was served hot. (look at the McDonald's menu or drive through window the next time you are there for the little sticker: "coffee, tea and hot chocolate are served HOT")

2.) the lady who sued the store after she fell from tripping over a child that was running around the store... of course it was her child.

3.) another lady who sued a restaurant because she slipped on some soda that was on floor... of course she had just thrown her drink at her boyfriend which created the soda on the floor....

4.) and my personal favorite.. this guy bought a Winnebego. Took it on his first long trip. Set the cruise control and got out of the driver's seat to go get a beverage. The Winnebego crashed and he sued the company because no where in his operators manual from the company did it say that he couldn't leave the drivers seat while the vehicle was in motion. (MORON...) Winnebego owners manuals now say in bold print, that you cannot leave the drivers seat.

and we wonder why the world is so messed up and why these morons whine over "freestyle" not really meaning free.

Archived