For Pete's Sake NCL! Change "freestyle" to ANYTHING else!

CruisinEurope

[quote name='Luv4dacruise']First off, i am not a fan of Freestyle, just a personal opinion, does not work well with me. That being said though, people that actually equate the term "Freestyle" to mean "Free" cost wise, really do need there heads examined, and i second the poster that said they need to relearn english or at least stay away from any word longer than 4 letters all together.

Freestyle to me, common sense wise, and this is only going by the commercials i have seen for NCL means you are "Free" to wear what you want to where you want when you want. Which i do have to add, regardless of what everyone says as far as any sort of wait time, how "oh, when your go out to a local restaurant at home, you have to wait don't you". Well, this is a totally moot point in my book. Most of the people who complain about it are taking there first NCL cruise, and have only been on traditional type cruises in the past, given this, the waits are totally unexpected and can be frustrating.

[COLOR=red]Really? I had been on four traditional cruises before my first NCL cruise and I wasn't remotely surprised. I walked up to the dining room and saw the familiar podium that appears at most restaurants I've ever eaten at - and there were staff members there asking how many people were in the party and then seating them. Seemed pretty straightforward to me. :) It took me about 20 seconds to understand that eating on that ship would be like eating in a restaurant as opposed to my previous traditional cruises. [/COLOR]

One more touch on the being able to wear what you want when you want where you want. While im not saying these things are not documented on the NCL website and in brochures, they can be very confusing when you get on the ship and find out that its not ALL that way like the commercials lead you to believe. There are different rules for each dining venue. And again, coming from a traditional type of cruise, it can almost be overwhelming causing the enjoyment factor to drop.

[COLOR=red]Again... really? The only 'problem' I had with this on my first NCL cruise was that I slightly overpacked for my husband, since when he realized he didn't need a dress shirt every night he took advantage of it. I still pack exactly the same way for myself since I love wearing all my nice clothes and formalwear whenever I can. I can't imagine finding out that you packed a couple extra dress shirts actually causing the enjoyment factor of any cruise to drop! It's not like packing for a traditional cruise experience would leave you unable to comply with the dress code on NCL.[/COLOR]

Alright im done rambling, these are just MHO.

Happy Cruising![/quote]

The bottom line is that people need to take responsibility for themselves. There are now two threads going in which advertising is being blamed for people having unrealistic expectations, and as I said in the other one, I hope anyone who honestly believes everything they see in commercials has got a good, reliable financial planner. Advertising shows the best possible scenario while maintaining enough truth to comply with legal requirements. It's DESIGNED to convince people to purchase a product.

Here are a few more 'gems' (thanks for the chuckle, by the way, MichellP):

100% beef does not mean 100% meat
Disposable diapers do NOT absorb 'everything'
Electronic pet nail files WILL freak out some animals
0% financing does not mean you pay the sticker price
Fat free does not mean healthy (or low calorie)
Sugar free - see fat free
Food served in restaurants rarely looks like the food pictured in their advertising
ALL restaurants have waiting periods at peak times, even though NO restaurant ads EVER show people waiting (this includes all restaurant advertising from fast food to 5 star)

So... do I get to complain to the supplier about any of these things? Personally I don't think so, since I'm intelligent and aware enough to know that advertising is advertising and real life is real life. :)

[quote name='sottovoce']I remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon and a loaf of bread cost a nickel. Maps were free at gas stations. Get over it.[/QUOTE]
good for you and I can remember when hubby went to work for the phone company. He was told, after about 8 years he would be making $15,000 a year. I had no idea what we would do with all that money; after 8 years he was making more than that, it still barely paid the bills....LOL

[quote name='DAGVBSB']I agree... so many people are just MORONS! They don't an ounce of sense.

When we cover civil law in class, we have a whole list of famous dumb lawsuits that we share. Some examples:

1.) the most famous being the lady who bought coffee through the McDonald's Drive through, put the cup between her legs and drove off. Of course it spilled and burned her and she sued McDonalds (and won) for not telling her the coffee was served hot. (look at the McDonald's menu or drive through window the next time you are there for the little sticker: "coffee, tea and hot chocolate are served HOT")

2.) the lady who sued the store after she fell from tripping over a child that was running around the store... of course it was her child.

3.) another lady who sued a restaurant because she slipped on some soda that was on floor... of course she had just thrown her drink at her boyfriend which created the soda on the floor....

4.) and my personal favorite.. this guy bought a Winnebego. Took it on his first long trip. Set the cruise control and got out of the driver's seat to go get a beverage. The Winnebego crashed and he sued the company because no where in his operators manual from the company did it say that he couldn't leave the drivers seat while the vehicle was in motion. (MORON...) Winnebego owners manuals now say in bold print, that you cannot leave the drivers seat.

and we wonder why the world is so messed up and why these morons whine over "freestyle" not really meaning free.[/quote]

except that the McDonalds coffee was kept at a temperature hotter than any other coffee....

[url]http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm[/url]

I love the freestyle concept but I have definitely seen that some people do complain about the pay venues and wanting to dine when and where they want exactly at the moment they want. They caomplain just as much about As you Wish on HAL so I don't think there is anything you can call it that won't have somebody complaining about something.

Oh and HAL has a no charge specialty dining venue, Canaletto on the Eurodam.

• Administrators
[quote name='Zeta3']I love the freestyle concept but I have definitely seen that some people do complain about the pay venues and wanting to dine when and where they want exactly at the moment they want. They caomplain just as much about As you Wish on HAL so I don't think there is anything you can call it that won't have somebody complaining about something.

Oh and HAL has a no charge specialty dining venue, Canaletto on the Eurodam.[/quote]

True, very new, and probably short-lived, on Canaletto. Both the Eurodam and X's Solstice, for instance, now have several themed restaurant venues, a'la NCL -- and it won't be surprising if after a little bit, surcharges are applied to them, as NCL has done.

We liked AYD dining on HAL, and had no problem managing it, but we were NCL veterans. I imagine we are in the "adjustment" years where cruiselines and cruise passengers figure out what each wants, and decide if that's a good choice for them.

I can't believe people go on vacation and all they can do is B!$%h about every little thing. What joy it must be to sail with them. People...you are on vacation. Shut the he$$ up and enjoy your freaking cruise! Ok, now I feel better :D.

But seriously I never looked at the word "Freestyle" as if I would be receiving free stuff. It's called research. Read...read...read. It's amazing what kind of information you can find just by reading.

[quote name='DAGVBSB']I agree... so many people are just MORONS! They don't an ounce of sense.

When we cover civil law in class, we have a whole list of famous dumb lawsuits that we share. Some examples:

1.) the most famous being the lady who bought coffee through the McDonald's Drive through, put the cup between her legs and drove off. Of course it spilled and burned her and she sued McDonalds (and won) for not telling her the coffee was served hot. (look at the McDonald's menu or drive through window the next time you are there for the little sticker: "coffee, tea and hot chocolate are served HOT")

2.) the lady who sued the store after she fell from tripping over a child that was running around the store... of course it was her child.

3.) another lady who sued a restaurant because she slipped on some soda that was on floor... of course she had just thrown her drink at her boyfriend which created the soda on the floor....

4.) and my personal favorite.. this guy bought a Winnebego. Took it on his first long trip. Set the cruise control and got out of the driver's seat to go get a beverage. The Winnebego crashed and he sued the company because no where in his operators manual from the company did it say that he couldn't leave the drivers seat while the vehicle was in motion. (MORON...) Winnebego owners manuals now say in bold print, that you cannot leave the drivers seat.

and we wonder why the world is so messed up and why these morons whine over "freestyle" not really meaning free.[/quote]

And this is why I am loving living in Europe! When this happens here, everyone says "TOUGH SH*$ you MORON!" and leaves it at that.

No lawyers, no stupid lawsuits...

Though - I did like the post about morons being a potential economic stimulus package.... except that I think THEY would have to PAY the companies for being morons instead of winning anything in lawsuits :D

Ill give another vote for "fee style". Its simple, to the point and accurate. There will be no more confusion.

Remember the only person deciding the who, when and where to eat is the person in the front of the restaurant who hands out the pagers.

[quote name='Brad1185']Ill give another vote for "fee style". Its simple, to the point and accurate. There will be no more confusion.

Remember the only person deciding the who, when and where to eat is the person in the front of the restaurant who hands out the pagers.[/quote]

You cancelled a cruise over a $14.95 "steak charge"

Really?

I guess the biggest problem I have with those people who just don't get Freestyle is that they did not have enough common sense to reseach online what they should expect on the cruise , but they sure found this website to ***ch about it when they got back. THOSE are the idiots I never get used to.

[/QUOTE]
I hate seeing this case references as a frivolous lawsuit. She won because she received third degree burns on her thighs and required skin grafts. Coffee is hot, yes. But does anyone expect it to be hot enough for third degree burns? Is it normal to expect that if you spill coffee on yourself that you will need skin grafts to repair the burns?

I actually really hate warning labels that warn of obvious hazards, it degrades the meaning of warning that are important and tends to make people discredit warnings in general. I could write a paper on it. Oh wait, I have. Several. ;) Just not posting my CV on a message board.

"YourStyle" would be a much more pleasing terminology. I've been on about 10 NCL cruises, I enjoyed them all, recommend them, but it disturbs me to have to pay additional money after I've paid for the cruise. As it happens I think the food, service and selections are great but they have 3 "free" restaurants and promote all the other additional charge locales. Cruise on Oceania and eat where you want, when you want and NO extra charges for either specialty (Italian or Steak House).

[quote name='martyweed'] Cruise on Oceania and eat where you want, when you want and NO extra charges for either specialty (Italian or Steak House).[/quote]
And pay three times as much per day for your cruise. They should feed you for a week before and after your cruise at the prices they charge.:rolleyes:

[quote name='sottovoce']And pay three times as much per day for your cruise. They should feed you for a week before and after your cruise at the prices they charge.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

you are right, this is a little point many overlook>>> I like the idea someone had on another website, just allow an extra $100 for specialty dining when you cruise NCL or similar lines, You will still be $$$S ahead.

Nita

[quote name='martyweed']"YourStyle" would be a much more pleasing terminology. I've been on about 10 NCL cruises, I enjoyed them all, recommend them, but it disturbs me to have to pay additional money after I've paid for the cruise. As it happens I think the food, service and selections are great but they have 3 "free" restaurants and promote all the other additional charge locales.

[COLOR="Red"]No one if forcing you to pay extra to eat. You said yourself that there are at least 3 included venues to eat, so paying extra is a choice, not a requirement. So I really have no idea why you are disturbed. If you had to pay for all your food on a cruise, then I would certainly agree with you.[/COLOR]

Cruise on Oceania and eat where you want, when you want and NO extra charges for either specialty (Italian or Steak House).[/quote]

You are joking right? LOL I think I'll stick with NCL, eat every night in a specialty restaurant and still spend a 2/3's less then I would on Oceania.

CG

[quote name='CruisinEurope']You cancelled a cruise over a $14.95 "steak charge"

Really?[/quote]

Read closer. He cancelled a cruise cause of a $3.95 room service charge. No wonder he writes in his posts about NCL nickle and diming...this guy really does count his nickels and dimes. LOL

CG

[quote name='newmexicoNita']you are right, this is a little point many overlook>>> I like the idea someone had on another website, just allow an extra $100 for specialty dining when you cruise NCL or similar lines, You will still be $$$S ahead.

Nita[/quote]
That's what I do. I don't see why it's so difficult to budget that way. If the total isn't an attractive price, then don't book it. But if it is, go for it.

[quote name='mbisson']I'm gonna play devils advocate---not only wasn't the cruise 'free' but it lacked 'style' (how come the complainers never atta the 'style' part of the word?) ;)[/QUOTE]

good question, now someone will post next week that their cruise wasn't free and lacked style..

Nita lol

[quote name='Brad1185']Ill give another vote for "fee style". Its simple, to the point and accurate. There will be no more confusion.

Remember the only person deciding the who, when and where to eat is the person in the front of the restaurant who hands out the pagers.[/quote]

Wow, no wonder you don't like Freestyle if you believe a total stranger handing out a signal device has any control over your life or your choices. I suppose that sort of thinking would certainly explain why so many refuse to take responsibility for their own choices and behaviours, though... 'The beeper girl made me do it'... sure... has a nice ring to it. :p

[quote name='Brad1185']The problem is what's included is so bad that paying extra becomes the only real choice.[/quote]

:p LOLLLL . Thank God theres people like you in the world. If not I'd think I was crazy.
If they add anymore charges on the lines you ARE sailing your going to have to find a new way to vacation.
You cant cancel them all , can you ;)

[quote name='Brad1185']The problem is what's included is so bad that paying extra becomes the only real choice.[/QUOTE]

amd Brad. which NCL ship did you sail or are you sailing? It looks like you have sailed Celebrity, HAL and RCI. Of course RCI just announced they were going to start charging for late night room service..you don't like that? What do you want for your buck? Maybe it is time you find a good travel agent that would gladly sell you a wonderful All Inclusive. You wouldn't have to worry about any additional charges, of course if it really a good one it will cost you considerably more than a cruise..

Nita

[quote name='Brad1185']The problem is what's included is so bad that paying extra becomes the only real choice.[/quote]
Oh, please. NCL's main dining room food is comparable with other mass-market cruise lines we've sailed: HAL, Celebrity, etc. Anyone who thinks differently has been fooled. One can only wonder what drives people to write such silliness over and over and over. We had beef Wellington, prime rib, rack of lamb, lobster tail, and more in NCL's main dining room last month. All prepared very well.

I disagree completely. That's not 'the' problem, it's YOUR problem (and you are absolutely entitled to your opinion). It's certainly NOT mine. I find it difficult to pick nights to go to the specialties because I feel like I'm missing something in the main dining rooms.

On the Star last year, I had prime rib in the main dining room, and the difference between that beef and the beef I had at Cagney's was, in my opinion, not particularly noticable. I would be able to make a better comparison if I'd eaten prime rib in both venues and was able to compare the same presentation, but the point is, to me it's not so much a 'quality' thing as it is an 'options' thing. Dining at Cagney's is not just about getting a steak, it's about having an assortment of good cuts to choose from. Generally to provide a menu in the main dining room that will appeal to 'most' passengers, there is ONE beef selection per evening (and one chicken, one vegetarian, etc). To be able to offer prime rib and filet mignon every night, NCL has provided a place where you can go and find it. For those who would love to see an assortment of sushi on the menu, there's a place for that. The same goes for all of the other specialty venues. Each one has something that would be difficult to implement into a daily menu designed to appeal to 'most' people.

As I said above, I didn't see much difference (if any) in the quality of the food between the main dining room and the specialties. Because of that, I always find it difficult to understand the concept that someone is 'forced' to eat at the specialties to get 'decent' food... it's not that much better - it's not even 'better' unless you have a particular affinity for the type of food offered - Asian, French, Italian, etc...

For me - and based on the opinions I see posted most often a lot of others - this 'problem' you're referring to is not a problem at all. :)

Archived