For Pete's Sake NCL! Change "freestyle" to ANYTHING else!

CruisinEurope

I know that you all thought it was clever - and MOST of us get it.

However there are some that just ASSUME since the word "free" is in there - that everything must be FREE. Which, of course, is not what you were referring to.

You, of course, meant that we are

free to choose when, where, and with whom we'd like to eat vs. being told when, where, and with whom to eat (like in summer camp, or the military, or high school for that matter) like on most every other cruiseline out there.

All those negative reviews out there from people b*$%ing that they have to PAY for their CHOICE of eating in a specialty restaurant that was - gasp! - advertised that way when they booked their cruise - - just ANNOY the living daylights out of me.

I mean - REALLY! (man, I think SNL could do a whole skit about this!)

You don't see nearly the amount of people moaning about other line's "free choice" dining option -- and I think this is because they more cleverly named it using things that don't use the word "free"

So - help me out here people, what should NCL rename "freestyle" cruising to so that morons won't think that it means the cruise is FREE?

I'll take the first stab:

NCL's "Myriad of Choices" dining (except, those that think "Freestyle" means $0, probably don't know what myriad means either so I guess we're back to the drawing boards....)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Frankly, I'm really tired of hearing this baloney. Those who interpret the word "freestyle" to mean free of costs, simply have no concept of the English language. And I couldn't care less about the whiners who keep insinuating that freestyle means free of costs. I don't think NCL should change a thing as "freestyle" has become their catch phrase and it's what they are known for.

One only needs to look the word up. The only definitions you can find are those referring to sport such as swimming, wrestling and surfing. Freestyle means that you are free to do whatever you want. Simply because "free" is in the word, doesn't imply that there is no cost, unless someone is truly uninformed. Does "freedom" mean that there is no costs? When the slaves wanted to be "free" did that mean that they wanted someone to give them away instead of having to pay for them?

People are free on NCL ships to CHOOSE where they want to eat. They can CHOOSE to pay extra, or they can CHOOSE to not pay extra....and that's exactly what the word "freestyle" means...the freedom to choose. To be honest, I believe that those that complain about this DO know what freestyle means, but they choose to use it as a way to blast NCL. It's actually much easier for me to believe that then to accept the fact that so many people are that illiterate.

CG

NCL's "Myriad of Choices" dining (except, those that think "Freestyle" means $0, probably don't know what myriad means either so I guess we're back to the drawing boards....)

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Good one! :D

How about 'Your style' instead

I know that you all thought it was clever - and MOST of us get it.

However there are some that just ASSUME since the word "free" is in there - that everything must be FREE. Which, of course, is not what you were referring to.

You, of course, meant that we are

free to choose when, where, and with whom we'd like to eat vs. being told when, where, and with whom to eat (like in summer camp, or the military, or high school for that matter) like on most every other cruiseline out there.

All those negative reviews out there from people b*$%ing that they have to PAY for their CHOICE of eating in a specialty restaurant that was - gasp! - advertised that way when they booked their cruise - - just ANNOY the living daylights out of me.

I mean - REALLY! (man, I think SNL could do a whole skit about this!)

You don't see nearly the amount of people moaning about other line's "free choice" dining option -- and I think this is because they more cleverly named it using things that don't use the word "free"

So - help me out here people, what should NCL rename "freestyle" cruising to so that morons won't think that it means the cruise is FREE?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

sorry, this is their logo, if people want to think Freestyle means free, they need to look at the entire word "freestyle" not the word "free". I really don't think anyone thinks everything is free, they just want to sound like they do. If NCL changes the slogan to something else, these same people will find a way to complain...

Nita

How about Fee Style. I can remember when the mexican and italian restaurants didn't charge a fee to eat there!

ok, now give us the name of one specailty dining room on one ship without a charge? Freestyle is a word, it doesn't mean Free, it means free to choose...You know that as well as most others...

Nita

Or how about those that think eat when you want means you can just walk up to any dining venue and walk right up to your table and eat. With Freestyle you CAN eat when you want, you just have to plan when to arrive at the dining venue of your choice at a time that will allow you to eat when you want. ie. If you want to eat at 7:30 you can, but it is up to you to get to the restaurant early enough to allow you the time to have been seated by 7:30. They never claim that eat when you want means you can just walk up to the door and be seated. If you want to eat at 7:30 it's up to you to plan on when to arrive to be able to be seated by 7:30. Do these people never eat out when at home? I don't know about anywhere else, but in Dallas if you go to a restaurant later than 5:30PM or 6PM any of the seven days in a week there will be a wait.

If anyone out there thinks "Freestyle" means all inclusive , they should not take a cruise .

They should stay away from deep water all together.

Theres also the sign above the railing gate on the promenade deck that says " exit here " what if they saw that ? :p

Those who interpret the word "freestyle" to mean free of costs, simply have no concept of the English language. And I couldn't care less about the whiners who keep insinuating that freestyle means free of costs. I don't think NCL should change a thing as "freestyle" has become their catch phrase and it's what they are known for.
I agree. Anyone who thinks that the word "freestyle" connotes "no charge" simply because of the first four letters of the word are illiterate, or self-delusional, or living in a world where the words "I want" rule everything in their lives.

FWIW, I think a lot of the problem comes in that, traditionally, cruising was a food-inclusive expierence. So the concept that half the food options on the ship are for an additional fee is radical. Yes, other lines have additional fee dining venues, but not as many as NCL.

For example, I did a spreadsheet comparing two NCL ships to a Princess ship. NCL has six "included" options (including the limited menu room service) and seven extra-charge options. The princess ship has seven included options (including room service that serves the dining room menu during dinner) and three additional charge options. Now the included options are about equal, but on NCL you have more choices overall, although over half are an additional charge.

Now I am behavioural psychologist by profession, so I look at people expectations and behaviour as a whole. And when you combine the tradition of cruising being a food-inclusive expierence with the realization that half the food options aren't included, I can see why some people would be disappointed.

I think blaming it on the word "freestyle" is a red herring for what is really going on.

If anyone out there thinks "Freestyle" means all inclusive , they should not take a cruise .

They should stay away from deep water all together.

Theres also the sign above the railing gate on the promenade deck that says " exit here " what if they saw that ? :p

Ohhhh! Good point!

Though - that would certainly WEED THEM OUT don'tcha think??!!??!! Darwinism at it's best!

:D

sorry, this is their logo, if people want to think Freestyle means free, they need to look at the entire word "freestyle" not the word "free". I really don't think anyone thinks everything is free, they just want to sound like they do. If NCL changes the slogan to something else, these same people will find a way to complain...

Nita

Nita, I'm being totally tongue-in-cheek here.

I know it's their slogan, and I actually quite like it myself. I know what freestyle means, and what the NCLs ships have to offer.

I am just SICK and TIRED of those morons that don't & whine and moan about something that:

1) they knew about when they booked the cruise (or SHOULD have if they bothered to research the vacation they were about to take)

2) they have a choice NOT to partake of

The term Freestyle is fine with me. There are way more people that think they can eat WHENEVER and EXACTLY when they want than those thinking everything is free.

I am so tired of that complaint. Not that I am tired of the "no booze" or service charges or fuel supplement, or that somebody else got a sale price, or the ship was rocking or.....

I don't think changing their moto Freestyle is a good idea but if I was NCL, I would mention very clearly on the website which restaurants are free, which are for a fee and how much pp. They should also adertise clearly (not in the FAQ section, maybe when you click on the restaurant picture to get more details) what is the dress code for each restaurant, day and night. Otherwise, people who just book and don't really research it might be disapointed from their simplistic adds (they're good, but it should be easy to find the truth about them).

I think it was more ''Freestyle'' when they had 2 restaurants included in the fare (Italian and Tex Mex) since it gave everybody, including those who can't splurge on extra-fee restaurants, more dinning options. I'm sure the Italian or Tex-Mex meals didn't cost them more to make than a DR meal. I don't mind paying extra for higher quality food like in Le Bistro, Cagney's or the Asian restaurant or for a prepared in front of you meal (Teppenyaki, Sushi Bar).

I'm still happy with NCL product.

They do indicate on the website which restaurants are pay. If you go to a specific ship and look at the restaurant descriptions, you will the phrase "Exceptional value,worth the price" at the end of each description.

For example, click here http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/publicRooms.html?shipCode=JEWEL

And scroll over each restaurant.

This is a whole campaign. Its not as easy as changing a slogan. The "freestyle" logo and slogan have been used for years taking them and changing the branding is not as easy as changing a name(or a corporate name for that matter). remember the new coke? More people like it as hate it.

No matter how its explained someone will complain. Some People aren't happy with "personal choice" on Princess either- since you have to make the choice before your cruise...

when you combine the tradition of cruising being a food-inclusive expierence with the realization that half the food options aren't included, I can see why some people would be disappointed.

I guess what I don't understand is why NCL seems to take the brunt of the bashing?? I have been on 4 cruiselines and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM have extra charge dining venues that you can choose to go to.

If I want an "adults" only environement on Disney, I will have to pay extra (Palo).

If I want a burger, shake and some onion rings on RCCL, I will have to pay extra (Johnny Rockets).

And so on.

I could validate the whining/complaining if EVERY venue was an additional charge but not when you still have multiple dining rooms, buffet and other food options that are FREE, including room service!

Nita, I'm being totally tongue-in-cheek here.

I know it's their slogan, and I actually quite like it myself. I know what freestyle means, and what the NCLs ships have to offer.

I am just SICK and TIRED of those morons that don't & whine and moan about something that:

1) they knew about when they booked the cruise (or SHOULD have if they bothered to research the vacation they were about to take)

2) they have a choice NOT to partake of

ok, crabby old me mis-understood...

Thanks,

Nita

Archived