Crime in Barcelona

I'm really getting paranoid about our upcoming cruise out of Barcelona(Sept. 09) It seems that every time I read any post about the city, it claims they are watching you from the time you get off the plane.We are spending time before and after our cruise in Barcelona, and, I wonder if we should just spend all our time in the hotel room. I was born and raised in New York City, and I never had ANY problems walking the streets there.Are things really that bad?:confused:

Definitely go out and enjoy yourself. But stick to the basic rules in any location..

Pickpocketing is the main concern in Barcelona

Use a money belt

Keep wallets, etc. to a minimum and make secure

Don't wear unnecessary jewellry

Stay on main streets

Stay in at night if you are concerned.

Do not befriend any stranger

I have been there three times--love the city. Just be conscious about your belongings. I personally wear a little satin pouch inside my shirt which keeps me very un-paranoid, and I only take the minimum when I go out--room key, one credit card, and some cash.

The good news is that there doesn't seem to be violent crime, just the petty stuff. We walked all over the Barri Gotica and up and down Las Ramblas/Placa Catalunya late into the night and very early on a rainy morning with no issues whatsoever.

The stories I have heard have been about people who weren't paying enough attention. One lady on our cruise last year sat at an outdoor cafe having lunch with friends and put her purse at her feet--people at the nearby table "hooked" it and away it went. Another lady walking too close to the edge of the sidewalk with her shoulder bag on the outside got it snatched by someone driving by on a motorbike. Just be aware, be careful, and you will have no problems. Males should keep their wallets in their front pocket with a heavy rubber band wrapped around them. Woman should eschew a purse completely IMO. We did use a backpack with a lock on it for basics like map, water bottles, Kleenex, etc.--but nothing expensive in it. We also carried small umbrellas because of the drizzle and I said I was happy to have my "bopper" in case someone tried something! One place to be especially careful is watching the street performers on Las Ramblas--perfect set up for pickpockets while you are paying attention to something else!

It is a great place--go and enjoy it to the fullest--forewarned is forearmed!

Cathy

Are things really that bad?:confused:

No... if you use common sense and follow suggestions posted above, you should be fine. You won't be dodging pickpockets the whole time you are there...in fact if you have the experience that we did, you won't even notice any. Enjoy ... Barcelona is an amazing city and it's too bad that there is so much focus on this one aspect of it.

A couple of things. Yes, crime is high in Barcelona and the key is to be street smart as I am sure you do in NYC. My recommendations are to leave jewely in the hotel safe and to limit what you take with you on the street in terms of credit cards/money. I would get a wallet that is hidden. I use one that goes under my shirt. That is just the reality of the situation. With that said, Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit and there is much to see.

Keith

A couple of things. Yes, crime is high in Barcelona and the key is to be street smart as I am sure you do in NYC. My recommendations are to leave jewely in the hotel safe and to limit what you take with you on the street in terms of credit cards/money. I would get a wallet that is hidden. I use one that goes under my shirt. That is just the reality of the situation. With that said, Barcelona is a wonderful city to visit and there is much to see.

Keith

Keith:

Just a clarification. Pick pocketing is indeed a fine art in Barcelona. Muggings and other types of violent crime is lower there than in U.S. cities.

I've been to Barcelona at least 10 times and have never had anything stolen, but I certainly know many people who have not been so lucky.

Your advice is right on. If one is really worried, give them a decoy. A bit fat wallet in your back pocket.. with nothing of value in it.

I've read on these boards that pickpocketing is bad in Barcelona, Naples, Rome, etc. Is Greece and Turkey just as bad?

I swear I am not bringing a purse of any kind on my cruise. I don't know how I'm going to carry my essentials, but it's not going to be in a purse (or a backpack). I'm probably going to have stuff taped (with duct tape, of course) to my body under my clothes. I'm going to have to really love that souvenier to be willing to rip my change purse off my bare skin.

Years ago I bought one of those microfiber security bags from Megellans that has the wire in the strap and wire mesh in the body. It also has little hooks to clip the zippers closed. It takes forever for me to get into it sometimes, but it isn't going to be picked either. It has an adjustable strap and I wear it cross-body with the bag at the front when I'm organizing luggage, shopping, or eating. It's the only bag I take when I travel. Not much of a fashion statement, but it isn't ugly either. . .sort of nondescript.

p.s. I just tested it and my new Acer mini computer fits into it just fine! That's an added plus!

I've read on these boards that pickpocketing is bad in Barcelona, Naples, Rome, etc. Is Greece and Turkey just as bad?

I swear I am not bringing a purse of any kind on my cruise. I don't know how I'm going to carry my essentials, but it's not going to be in a purse (or a backpack). I'm probably going to have stuff taped (with duct tape, of course) to my body under my clothes. I'm going to have to really love that souvenier to be willing to rip my change purse off my bare skin.

In my opinon Naples is just as bad. Rome used to be as bad but has improved over the years. I have not seen problems in Greece or Turkey.

Keith

I'll happily bet that crime is much worse in NYC.

Used to be very bad particularly in the 1970's to 1990's but was actually considerably cleaned up and is much better now.

With that said, when walking around any big city one needs to be what I call street smart; basically being observant of those around them and taking precautions to minimize the chance of being robbed.

Keith

Yes, in general terms in Spain crime rate is much lower than un major american cities and compared to any other europen capitals. However, tourist everywhere are a prime target for pickpockets, and gypsies (fortune tellers type) who approach to you outside many churches in Spain. Beware, they usually have kids around who could open you bag while mum is reading the palmlo of your hand or trying to sell you flowers.

Anyway, try to act as a local, enjoy life. You will be going around touristical places, and it´s pretty safe. Nothing to feel concerned about. Only avoid some areas at night (Barrio Gotico) in some southern deserted streets. It´s hard to find a problem but simply avoid it. Walk along Ramblas, and do no get involved in the street gambling games. It´s a fraud and you will never win.

Barcelona police is particularly effective and friendly. Do not hesitate to contact them in case you need something. Avoid the western part of Parallel area. And the general tip is simply using common sense. No extra precaucions, no money hidden, no looking around in a suspicious way. Not in downtown Barcelona.

So many times I walk down La Rambla and see tourists with maps open, looking lost and with their bags unguarded. These tourists will almost certainly be noticed by all the wrong people and be an instant target. You can be a tourist, no problem, but what you must behave like is a savvy tourist and you will be much, much safer.

This topic comes up every month or so on the various ports of call boards, whether we are discussing Naples, Barcelona, Naples, Buenos Aires, Rio, or some city in the USA or some other city around the world.

The reality is that there is a fair amount of theft in Barclona as there is in several cities around the world. It happens to be a little more blatant in Barcelona, partly because of the Gypsies.

In general, tourists tend to be a prime target for these types of thefts around the world for a variety of reasons including the fact that many times they are distracted whether looking at a map or taking a picture or just unsure of themselves a they are finding their way around a city. Also, tourists tend to be carrying around more items.

So, when one travels they should be observant and take some extra precautions. And that is true whether you are in New York City, London, Paris, Barcelona, or in any major city.

And for those who don't think its a problem that's fine. Continue to do what you think is best.

I just know for my wife and myself that we will be more cautious in those places that we are less familiar with and in general we will be very observant while walking around any city and we have learned from our extensive travels that it is wise not to walk around with jewelry and to leave most items of value either back on the ship or in a hotel safe.

Keith

In general, Barcelona is a reasonably safe city to walk around in, even late at night. The biggest danger is petty crime—pickpocketing, bag snatching and assorted scams. Thieves tend to ply their trade in the busy tourist spots such as Les Rambles, the Barri Gotic, down by the port, on the metro and on the buses. A few precautions will help keep you out of trouble: Don't carry money, credit cards or documents in back pockets, breast pockets or backpacks. Leave valuables in a safe-deposit box at your hotel. Wear purses, bags and cameras slung around your neck or across your chest and keep them close to your body in crowds. Don't set them down at your feet or in adjacent seats in outdoor cafes or on trains and buses—keep your hand on them. Never leave any item of value unattended or inside a parked car.

If you should be the victim of a crime, report it at a police station—Comisaria de Policia—as you will need a copy of the report to make an insurance claim (don't expect that your property will be recovered). You can now make the report via the Internet, by clicking on "Denuncie per Internet" at the Mossos d'Esquadra (city police) Web site, http://www.gencat.net/mossos. This will open up a window where you can choose English as your language and then follow the instructions. Go to the nearest police station (there is a list on the site) the next day and pick up the report. Otherwise, you must go to the station in Raval (Nou de Les Rambles 76-80) dedicated to reports from foreigners. This is usually very crowded, and the wait is two to five hours.

We will be in Barcelona two-day pre-cruise in September as well. Born and raised in NYC, and have traveled to many major cities. Common sense and taking the necessary precautions is the same theme everywhere. We've already bought the "inside the shirt" wallets, and DW will make due without a pocketbook, I guess. We'll not wear any expensive jewelry, and be aware of our surroundings. But, we intend to enjoy ourselvs to the fullest.

Now, all that being said, can any of you with 'Barcelona experience' tell me what the police presence is like ? Is it conspicuous around the main tourist sights ? How helpful might they be "in case" ?

I swear I am not bringing a purse of any kind on my cruise. I don't know how I'm going to carry my essentials, but it's not going to be in a purse (or a backpack).

I take a small backpack to carry essentials, including a small amount of money (10-20 euros.) DH carries valuables (CC's, passports and more cash) in a neck pouch under his shirt.

We take public transportation (crowded buses, subways and trains) walk (day and nighttime) and have never experienced a problem throughout a number of land trips and cruise vacations. We stay aware of our surroundings and I keep a good hold on my backpack in crowds. I won't give up carrying a bag out of fear....and if someone does steal it from me, my losses will be small.

Now, all that being said, can any of you with 'Barcelona experience' tell me what the police presence is like ? Is it conspicuous around the main tourist sights ? How helpful might they be "in case" ?

There is not a huge police presence around as I recall. You may see one or two "on the beat" so to speak.

As someone else posted, you must go to the police station to report a theft. This happened to me in Barcelona......my wallet was stolen from my purse, which was kept well guarded by me EXCEPT for a few moments when I was buying a gelato.....the thief must have struck then. I never even felt it and didn't know the wallet was gone until a few minutes later when I got to the Picasso Museum and couldn't find it. :eek: Luckily, I had taken out all but a few things, so while I lost a couple of credit cards and some cash, my DL, passport, extra cash and credit cards were all in my safe back in my room.

The police were very helpful but it did take a while, then another hour or so to get the cards cancelled. Whoever stole the wallet had immediately run up some charges of over 1,000 euro at some "restaurants" -- apparently according to the police this is common. The thieves have accomplices that work in various restaurants and it's basically a cashout.

I do repeat what others have said. The crime is NOT violent. It is skilled pickpocketing. Do yourself a favor and put anything valuable in a money belt or neck wallet and you will have no cause to worry. I loved Barcelona and would go back in a minute despite the experience!

Where do you find these kind of wallets? Are they on a string? Would the string be conspicuous?

You can find them in any decent luggage store, or in the luggage departments of any major department store (with the TSA locks, passport protectors,etc.). I just happened to find ours on *Bay. They have plenty of storage space, feel very secure, are a good quality leather, and only ran me $10. each.

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php

Check out this product line for some "outside" purses and backpacks that provide additional security. I have a small size for just passports, credit cards and cash and also a larger bag that doubles as a "man purse" where we keep water and ponchos, umbrellas etc. Depending on the excursion, I choose the size that works for that day.

I also carry the silk pouch that is snapped around the strap of my undergarment. This is a great place to keep your room card while on the ship, and leave the purse in the room safe. As mentioned, you can find these in luggage departments, and outdoor stores like R*I, or go to your local A*A office and check out their travel goods.

Nothing is foolproof, but awareness of your surroundings is key. Someone mentioned a purse taken from under the table. If I need to place it somewhere, I put my leg through the purse strap and keep it tucked between my ankles...and I do this in the good ol USA, too.

Nothing is foolproof, but awareness of your surroundings is key. Someone mentioned a purse taken from under the table. If I need to place it somewhere, I put my leg through the purse strap and keep it tucked between my ankles...and I do this in the good ol USA, too.

Thanks for the link.

I do exactly that with my purse too. I am originally from Chicago and I learned to do that a long time ago there. Barcelona sounds far worse than Chicago though.

We were in Barcelona in November post-cruise and were staying at a hotel near the airport. On the shuttle bus that the hotel ran to downtown we were talking to a couple who had had someone spatter their coat with mud and offer to take them up to his apartment to clean it -- a local storekeeper shooed the guy off and showed them the way to a public restroom. The storekeeper indicated that the guy was harmless but a bit mentally disturbed. Stuff like that can happen anywhere, you always have to be aware of your surroundings.

On my 20th trip to Europe I was robbed in the Barcelona metro - they dipped into my purse and took a smaller coin purse that had some E's and a credit card. They actually threw away the purse with the credit card in a connecting passage where we found it in a trash can - praise God. I still love Barcelona but do be aware in the metro stations, esp. the big ones with connecting passages in the tourist part of the city. If you are entering or exiting the train and for some reason there is a jam up - be on guard - that is how they set me up. They work as a group - several days later we were down in the metro again and actually saw them setting up an elderly gentleman - we started shouting "Ladrones, ladrones" - they bolted. So do be on guard and carry a minimum amount of cash or credit cards.

Archived