cuban cigars

game misconduct

Be careful, as lots are imatations. Im sure you are aware that it's illegal to bring them back to the U.S. so switch the bands or something so they dont look like Cuban if they say they are.

Maybe the others will have more specific stores they trust. I'm skeptical as I know personally I couldnt tell a cuban from another type of cigar, they could lie to me.

You don't say what ports you are visiting. You may want to go to the "Ports of Call" section and ask this question in the forum for your ports. Real cubans are still going to be expensive; know what you are buying because as already stated, there are lots of fakes out there.

this is just a warning. Its technically illegal for us nationals to buy Cuban cigars anywhere in the world. http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml

so don't charge them pay cash.......no reason to make it easy on the government for stupid rules....

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/ccigar2.pdf

its in the second paragraph

In all likelyhood, buying cigars with your credit card in a foreign port won't make a blip on the Treasury Dept's radar screen....as long as you keep it under $10 G's anyway. The Feds have far more important things to do these days.

If you can find a Casa de Habano, you shouldn't have any problems with counterfeit Cuban cigars. They are sanctioned by the Cuban national cigar industry so their stuff is first class. It's also pretty pricey.

The best way to make sure you're not buying cheap domestic cigars with a Cuban label is NOT to buy a Cohiba or Monte Cristo. Those 2 brands have the biggest name recognition and are the most frequently "faked". A Hoya de Monterey or a Partagas or any number of other brands are excellent cigars and are less likely to be counterfeit.

Hello, Smeyer, I followed the link you provided to the Cuban cigar update and unless I read it wrong, it confirmed what I always believed- you can buy them and smoke them while on vacation, but, you cannot import them back into the US. I only skimmed the link, but, that is what I read, do I need to go back and read it again? Thanks, Maureen

Hello, Smeyer, I followed the link you provided to the Cuban cigar update and unless I read it wrong, it confirmed what I always believed- you can buy them and smoke them while on vacation, but, you cannot import them back into the US. I only skimmed the link, but, that is what I read, do I need to go back and read it again? Thanks, Maureen

You need to read the section "Transactions involving Cuban-origin goods in Third Countries"

"The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no."

Here's the link: http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/ccigar2.pdf

So how much should I pay for a good cigar? Does anyone know if they are available along the Panama Canal route? Is Casa De Habano a store or a brand name? Are there other good brands besides cubans? I am not a regular smoker, but I enjoy a good cigar now and then.

Thanks for all the good info.

So how much should I pay for a good cigar? Does anyone know if they are available along the Panama Canal route? Is Casa De Habano a store or a brand name? Are there other good brands besides cubans? I am not a regular smoker, but I enjoy a good cigar now and then.

Thanks for all the good info.

Casa de Habano is a store - very upscale in fact- that is authorized to sell genuine Cubans. Expect to pay $25-$50 for most. (and I am not talking about a box....:eek:)

would Wal-mart (of all places), sell cuban cigars ?...would the Duty Free shop on the ship be an alternative ?

I can't say for sure on Carnival, but some of the RCI ships had some available in the cigar lounge, but I did not see any in the on-board shops. Your bet bet is to search for reputable dealer experience on the various port of call forums.

Mike

Last time I was on a Princess ship, they only sold non-Cuban cigars. Probably has something to do with the U.S. govt. pressuring them not to. The prices for the cigars they had for sale were very high. You'll do better at a reputable tobacconist on shore. Or, stock up before you leave!

Here is one in Puerto Vallarta:

http://travel.nytimes.com/travel/guides/north-america/mexico/puerto-vallarta/attraction-detail.html?vid=1154654671037

Here is an article by someone on a similiar itinerary from a cigar smoker's perspective:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Blogs/Blog_Detail/0,4695,181,00.html

La Casa del Habano is a franchise so, there are differences. One I saw in Cancun was not much more that a large closet in a mall. The one in Saint Maarten however, was awesome. Leather chairs, cuban coffee and a great hostess.

Brian

You may purchase Cuban cigars. You may not bring more that is reasonably consumable by one person. The limit I was told was 5 cigars. I flew in from Mexico and had no problem getting through Customs.

I'm sorry Ghia, but you're mistaken. If you're a Canadian or any other nationality, then you're okay. Any product made in Cuba or sold or distributed by the Cuban govt. may not legally be purchased by an American. You can do it, and it's easy to bring cigars, rum, etc. back to the US. It's just not legal.

Thanks for that link, Smeyer...I had no idea it was illegal for US Citizens to smoke cubans in another country.

There are many many great cigars that are not Cuban in origin, Alaska. Some of my favorites are Oliva, La Aurora, and Graycliff. If you want to check out some cheaply, try cigarbid. It's the ebay of cigars.

Has anyone had any experience buying through Puroexpress.com ?

Archived