Lipstick and Mineral makeup.....

onceagain

Can I carry them in my carry-on on a plane (specifically NWA)? I know they aren't liquid, but some here have talked about things taken that sounded ridiculous. No need to put them in a plastic bag, right? Thought I'd just pack my makeup bag in my carry-on.

Put your lipstick in the 3-1-1 bag, it's not worth the risk of losing it. It's not just liquid that needs to be in the quart sized bag, gels should be packed in there as well.

Edit to add, it's not up to the airline what constitutes a liquid or a gel, it's a TSA rule, the security agents work for them, not the airlines.

Solid lipstick is permitted.

Let google be your friend. go to www.tsa.gov and look it up. I'd also print up the page and bring it with me in case you get an idiot agent who doesn't know their own rules. If they give you a hard time, politely ask for a supervisor.

Solid lipstick is permitted.

Let google be your friend. go to www.tsa.gov and look it up. I'd also print up the page and bring it with me in case you get an idiot agent who doesn't know their own rules. If they give you a hard time, politely ask for a supervisor.

Jane110, I've searched and cannot find where it states lipstick is allowed out of the 3-1-1 bag, perhaps I'm missing it. I would hate to have to throw out my lipstick because it's not inside the bag, most of my lipsticks cost $20 or more.

Although, I've started saving the last bit of lipsticks when I know I'm traveling soon and take those along, just in case a TSA agent hasn't learned the rules thoroughly :rolleyes:

Happy K's,

I did an advanced search and used lipstick in my search. As of 2006 lipstick is allowed. It didn't say whether it had to be in the clear bag or not. However, I have been on many flights since 2006, both international and domestic, and always have a few lipsticks in my handbag (not in the plastic bag w/ liquids) and they have been seen by screeners when they opened my bag, and they've never been questioned. I understand your concern, my lipsticks also cost between $18 - $26 and I usually have about 4 in my bag with me.

This is from the TSA website. It's from 2006 and there hasn't been anyother updates since then about lipstick. It also says to call your airline if you have any more questions.

TSA: TSA Adjusts Latest Ban Without Compromising Security

... Clarifications include: aerosols prohibited, solid lipstick and baby food permitted. ...

to remove their shoes so they may be X-rayed with their carry-on bags to ...

www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2006/press_release_08132006.shtm - 12k

Archived