Cruising on a teacher's schedule stinks!

JazzCatDRP

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon last spring (my first cruise) and we both fell in love with Carnival...particularly the prices! We've both got the serious cruise itch again, but now I'm working a teacher's schedule with only the summer off. Of course the prices skyrocket in the summer months, and I don't think we can afford it. What a stinker!

My wife and I went on a cruise for our honeymoon last spring (my first cruise) and we both fell in love with Carnival...particularly the prices! We've both got the serious cruise itch again, but now I'm working a teacher's schedule with only the summer off. Of course the prices skyrocket in the summer months, and I don't think we can afford it. What a stinker!

You get three months off and are complaining..... .:rolleyes:

Most folks only get a couple of weeks. ;)

I know the feeling. I work for NBA-TV and I can only vacation between July and October, but with my son in school that leaves July. Very expensive.

You get three months off and are complaining..... .:rolleyes:

Most folks only get a couple of weeks. ;)

Haha...too true. Didn't think about that.

My wife gets six week's paid vacation, and man-oh-man, cruising would be so affordable if we could both go in say, February.

We cancelled our late Jan. cruise due to school schedules (my kids were living with their dad when we booked and moved back in with me March of last year). Couldn't get it worked out during any of the breaks without them missing at least 2 days, sorry, I'm 1 of those parents who feels that school comes 1st. My son's always had a hard time, so he can't afford to miss any school. So, we booked for May 23rd........the day after school lets out. The rates were wayyy cheaper than June & July. Probably harder for a teacher to do as they work even after school is out, but , ya never know, maybe you could work something out?:confused: Where we live, we have had teachers not even show up for open house due to trips, vacations, etc. Maybe if ya talked to someone ahead of time and told them you had a family vacation booked, they may work with you. Worth a try.:)

3 months off for the summer, 1-2 weeks off at Christmas, another week off around Easter...lot's of choices. If you're looking to go during the shoulder seasons when cruising is at it's cheapest, save up your sick days (which I'm sure your union allows you to do), and then make your reservation. Otherwise, please don't complain when you only work about 180 days per year compared to 240-250 for most of us.

I hardly ever take my DD out of school for Vac. BUT if it were for a family Vac that she would learn lots of things I would/ have done it! Also I have have my DD's teachers in the past have to be gone for a week Vac or even a 6 week maternity leave! So it is not unheard of!! and I did not think anything of it!! I met the Sub teacher and my DD did fine! So if you can take the time during the school year I would! As a teacher I am sure you would leave a lesson plan and the kids would be fine! JMO

....kinda like Dick Smothers........he said he couldn't understand.....why they held Christmas at a time of year when the stores were so busy....:D

3 months off for the summer, 1-2 weeks off at Christmas, another week off around Easter...lot's of choices. If you're looking to go during the shoulder seasons when cruising is at it's cheapest, save up your sick days (which I'm sure your union allows you to do), and then make your reservation. Otherwise, please don't complain when you only work about 180 days per year compared to 240-250 for most of us.

I'm not complaining about the days off, merely the timing of it. I get two personal days a year, and one sick day a month. Using sick days for vacation is strictly prohibited, and more than two consecutive sick days requires a doctor's note.

You think you have a problem. I am but merely a waitress... I am required to work New Year's Eve. So that takes care of most Christmas breaks. Not for you. You have at least 2 weeks off then. Spring break, at least a week. That is our prime time, so no breaks for me then. Hmm.. fall break- we are busy then, too. You probably have the week off. So.. that leaves summer. That's when we do most of our traveling. We book at least a year out..for Alaska 2010, we have already booked. The rates are cheaper booking early and in the beginning of their season. Sorry, I have several teachers in my family and they have tons more time off than I do. And I have worked for my company for 20 years now. Just have to do a bit of advance planning.

I would love having the freedom of all that time off to take a vacation. As it is, hubby gets four weeks (after 30 years of employment - and we're very thankful for each and every one :)) and has to coordinate his time off with the other people on the management team, so we don't always get when we want, either.

Talk about pricing, I thought teachers were given a discount by at least one of the cruiselines. Sure wish we got an employment discount.

My sister is a teacher and she takes cruise vacations in February. I know because we've sailed Carnival with her twice during that month.

JazzCat,

I understand about the timing co-inciding with the prices. Teachers don't exactly make the big bucks, ya know.

My SIL is a teacher and is coming on a cruise with us 1/18/2009. I know he plays by the rules and it wasn't exactly easy to do, but he got the time! I believe he used a combination of personal days, one school holiday, and the last day I believe he is taking a leave without pay. This was all approved by the principal. Not easy, not impossible, and probably won't happen again for some time.

He takes a summer job, BTW to support his family.

P.S. You could you lie and use sick days, but how would you explain your glowing tan???:cool:

I hardly ever take my DD out of school for Vac. BUT if it were for a family Vac that she would learn lots of things I would/ have done it! Also I have have my DD's teachers in the past have to be gone for a week Vac or even a 6 week maternity leave! So it is not unheard of!! and I did not think anything of it!! I met the Sub teacher and my DD did fine! So if you can take the time during the school year I would! As a teacher I am sure you would leave a lesson plan and the kids would be fine! JMO

Don't send DD to Canada... I've had friends there that have had a year off for maternity leave :p I would hate to think that anyone thought poorly of a teacher taking maternity leave :p

OP... it's really hard to have too much sympathy considering you have the entire summer to plan vacation!! LOL! There are some weeks that are cheaper than others... If I had the summer off, I would pay a little more for vacation!! LOL!! Good luck!

I work in fine dining and could go any time except for the Holidays. I work them all. But I have a kid in school so I also have to go mostly when it is more expensive. It kills me to see the deals in September :eek:. But I plan for when I can go.

Tom in Long Beach

• Administrators

I'm also a teacher, and have found some good deals, but you do have to do the homework. Often looking way in advance can help. Some years our spring break isn't coincident with Easter, and when that happens there are often good deals then. Thank you for choosing to teach -- as you can see, folks have varying opinions of teachers and many people have nothing good to say about teachers. Good thing the job has a lot of intrinsic satisfaction in what we do every day!

The quoted post hit a nerve because the author is clueless. Anyone who wants to flame or disagree go ahead but before you do you better get your facts straight.

You really should thank the teacher who "only" works 180 days a year for teaching you the skills you need to be able to read and write and use the computer. If you think teachers work only 180 days a year you are sadly mistaken. While they might be in class 180 days a year the work closer to 300. Weekends off? forget it, there are papers to grade. Breaks? sorry lessons to prep. Summers ? if they are lucky they can get away with maybe two or three weeks but that is about it.

Teachers are some of the hardest working, lowest paid workers in this country, if it weren't for the elementary school teachers who would raise the children of this country because a large percentage of parents aren't getting the job done.

Shame on anyone who begrudges a teacher wishing that they could cruise any time of the year to take advantage of specials and lower fares. An even bigger shame on anyone who suggest saving sick days to be out of the classroom. Teachers who care, and that is most of them, don't play the games, because they have to teach your children right from wrong.

If the cruise line were smart teachers would get the same rates on fares that the military does because they are almost as vital to the survival of this country as is the military.

BTW, if you can read this, go thank a teacher.

The quoted post hit a nerve because the author is clueless. Anyone who wants to flame or disagree go ahead but before you do you better get your facts straight.

You really should thank the teacher who "only" works 180 days a year for teaching you the skills you need to be able to read and write and use the computer. If you think teachers work only 180 days a year you are sadly mistaken. While they might be in class 180 days a year the work closer to 300. Weekends off? forget it, there are papers to grade. Breaks? sorry lessons to prep. Summers ? if they are lucky they can get away with maybe two or three weeks but that is about it.

Teachers are some of the hardest working, lowest paid workers in this country, if it weren't for the elementary school teachers who would raise the children of this country because a large percentage of parents aren't getting the job done.

Shame on anyone who begrudges a teacher wishing that they could cruise any time of the year to take advantage of specials and lower fares. An even bigger shame on anyone who suggest saving sick days to be out of the classroom. Teachers who care, and that is most of them, don't play the games, because they have to teach your children right from wrong.

If the cruise line were smart teachers would get the same rates on fares that the military does because they are almost as vital to the survival of this country as is the military.

I have to agree with you! Teachers do work 180 days while the students are there. We also work many many hours above and beyond what we are "paid" for. In my district we get paid for 7.5 hours a day. I work at least 10 hours a day every day. Then there are the teacher workdays and workshops that we have to go to. By the way the workshops we go to in the summer are unpaid.

But as MichellP stated there are deals to be had. I booked our Spring Break cruise in July. It is now at least $200 more than it was when I booked it. As for summer the deals are a little harder to get, but if you look you can usually find some. Either looking way in advance or last minute is the best way to go.

First and foremost, teachers earn every penny they are paid and then some. You could not pay me enough to do that job. I am surrounded by family that are or have retired from teaching.

Now that that is out..... you've got to be kidding. Yes, teachers work above and beyond the actual classroom time. But do you seriously expect anybody to believe that vacation time is limited to "if they are lucky they can get away with maybe two or three weeks but that is about it"? If any teacher is that inefficient in doing their work, then they would never succeed in private industry.

Please DO NOT take this a a slam on teachers. See the above caveats. Now I'll return to threads about cruising.

Ok I am teacher also and totally understand the stuggles with planning a vacation. My husband works for continental so we get the perk for flying free....yet it is on stand by, so whenever we have the time to fly anywhere, everything is crazy booked because it is usually a school break. We are cruising in April and have paid almost 500 dollars for our air fare to FL because we cant risk getting bumped and missing the ship. While my friends travel whenever I cannot, believe teaching has its perks, but the pay sucks and IT IS NOT LIMITED TO 180 DAYS, that is a ridiculous comment. I am stressing as it is about going away in APril, being that it is 2 weeks beofre the state test and I should really be here doing the Testing Academy some of students have signed up to do.....on their vacation. Please think before you speak concerning matters you are unsure about.

Teachers are special people....I'm married to an excellent one. I tried it myself, but it was definitely not for me. As far as cruising is concerned, we go on two to three cruises a year. Research is essential to finding the best deals. Get a separate e-mail account (Hotmail or Google or Yahoo) and sign up for every travel newsletter you can find. You'll be amazed at the deals you can get. Cruisecritic has a whole last minute deals section that offers wonderful bargains. This coming year should be exceptionally cheap, with the poor economy and several new ships. Last minute deals should be plentiful. Try different lines and older ships that might not be as popular as the newer, bigger ships. There is no such thing as a bad cruise, just some better than others.

I am going to jump in here. People do NOT know what a teacher is required to due UNLESS they are a teacher, or have a best bud that is. State to State. District to District. The rules are different. We have been teaching in this state for 18 years with about five weeks off (NO STUDENTS) in the summer. Most people do NOT know what goes on during a break that long. Believe me we are not sleeping in and vacationing away are days. If a teacher choses to have their pay divided between 12 months (we do) then they can. Many choose to be paid the months they are teaching. My dh has worked a 2nd job for years and years just so we can afford vacations like cruising for time to time. I know many other teachers hold 2nd jobs, too. Try being docked a 1/2 day pay just for using one of your personal days and see how much that adds up when you miss five school/working days.

It's just too bad we jumped on the cruise vacation wagon only a couple of years ago when we only had one child left at home. We might have saved a lot of money.

Okay I am off my bandwagon and heading to school/work now....

One more thing...I know that good teachers work more that 40 hours a week, but as a teacher you have great opportunities for extra work and extra cruise money. For instance, sign up to proctor the SAT and ACT given in your area. Teach or tutor SAT and ACT prep classes. Tutor one or two students for extra pay. Anything extra goes into the cruise fund to balance out the added cost of cruising in peak season. It will be well worth the effort, take it from one who knows.

A discount website shows that Holland America does offer teachers the same type of discounts that are offered to firefighters and military.

Archived