Chops OR Portofinos? Favorite?

I'd love opinions on which of the two I should book for our anniversary. I found a travel agent who will provide a free upgrade to a restaurant.

We had dinner at Porotofino's on the Explorer and it was phenomenal. I loved the seafood that was on skewers and hanging vertically. The desserts were awesome too! I had an assortment of desserts with chocolate stuff sticking out from here and there. What's not to like about that?

So which would you choose?

Hi Salsa Dancer,

DH and I just returned from Navigator of the Seas ~ we dined twice at Chops and twice at Portofino and agreed that we both preferred the food and service at Portofino.

We enjoyed the wine dinner very much and also the other night when we ordered off the regular menu. DH liked the seafood skewer, and I loved the risotto with tiger prawns appetizer, as well as the halibut with risotto for my entree. (I always make a point to order risotto when I am out, because it takes so long and so much stirring that I rarely make it at home!) But the highlight for me was the assortment of mini-desserts ~ yummy!

All that said, the service at Chops is more formal, so it might be a better choice for a special occasion like your anniversary. I am just not a big fan of the big entrees and big side items. On our second night there, they put us in a really cozy table for two in the corner of the back room of the restaurant. It was a small square table with banquette seating, very romantic.

All that said, I don't think that you can go wrong with either one, especially if it is a treat from your TA.

Also, don't panic if you try to book online or on the phone in advance and there is no availability. That was the case for me, but once we got on board, we practically had our choice of times each night.

Hi Salsa Dancer,

DH and I just returned from Navigator of the Seas ~ we dined twice at Chops and twice at Portofino and agreed that we both preferred the food and service at Portofino.

We enjoyed the wine dinner very much and also the other night when we ordered off the regular menu. DH liked the seafood skewer, and I loved the risotto with tiger prawns appetizer, as well as the halibut with risotto for my entree. (I always make a point to order risotto when I am out, because it takes so long and so much stirring that I rarely make it at home!) But the highlight for me was the assortment of mini-desserts ~ yummy!

All that said, the service at Chops is more formal, so it might be a better choice for a special occasion like your anniversary. I am just not a big fan of the big entrees and big side items. On our second night there, they put us in a really cozy table for two in the corner of the back room of the restaurant. It was a small square table with banquette seating, very romantic.

All that said, I don't think that you can go wrong with either one, especially if it is a treat from your TA.

Also, don't panic if you try to book online or on the phone in advance and there is no availability. That was the case for me, but once we got on board, we practically had our choice of times each night.

Thanks for your input. I love risotto, too. I did make it once at home...a recipe for lobster & champagne risotto for 25 guests! Wow, that was intensive with all of the stirring & pouring.

You must have had the same dessert assortment that I had tried--I think it was tiramisu, creme brule, panna cotta and something else???

I think I'll book Portofino's for this cruise and try Chops on the next one. The next poster said, "If you like steaks," which I do!

I wanted to post this question to both of you...do you recall what the dining upgrade charge is?

Thanks a bunch.

If you like steaks, it's Chops all the way!

Hi Yogi....I do love a good steak...with blue cheese....MMMM. I like the idea that Chops is more intimate and I imagine the beef is excellent. We buy great beef from a little country market in the boonies. We compare all steak to that place because they are so good. Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the upgrade $ is for Chops?

Salsa Dancer - Both restaurants are excellent and will give you the experience you are looking for to celebrate the important date. Our preference is Portofino. If I had to choose between the two Portofino would always be our choice... for the diversity of the menu, and the elegance of dining. Chops is a traditional Steak House with excellent steak which we find enjoyable as well. One thing that always makes me uncomfortable in Chops is the family style service. While I might enjoy having side dishes with my entree, they way they are served in Chops there is so much wasted food even when you specifically ask for a small serving.

I do not think you can go wrong with your choice with either of these restaurants.

Happy Anniversary! Enjoy your cruise.

Hi Yogi....I do love a good steak...with blue cheese....MMMM. I like the idea that Chops is more intimate and I imagine the beef is excellent. We buy great beef from a little country market in the boonies. We compare all steak to that place because they are so good. Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the upgrade $ is for Chops?

We were on Serenade this past Christmas. I believe Chops was 20$ and Portofinos $25. We liked them both. The steak at Chops is excellent, and we had the same steak at Portofinos.

Why not try both, particularly if you TA is picking up the tab for one of them!

It really is down to personal preference - I prefer Portofinos but DH's prefers Chops as he is a great meat eater. You wont go wrong with either of them though.

According the RCI's website Chops is $25 pp and Portofinos is $20pp

Hey Salsa Dancer! Great to see you somewhere other than the MI boards!

I am so glad you asked this question because DH and I are trying to decide which place to eat at as well. I think we are going with Portofinos.

We are doing the same sailing 1 month before you do. I can let you know how it was!

Stay warm!

I have a question......

We had Chops in Freedom last year and it was great as usual. At the end of the meal they brought is a small plate with a few Chocolate Covered strawberries and White Chocolate Strawberries. I am not a Chocolate person, but I do enjoy White Chocolate and those WC Strawberries were awsome. I am interested in trying Portofinos, but I am going back to Chops just for the WC Strawberries. (I am going to ask for a few..ok..several...to take to the room.)

Does Portofinos have that perk?

Archived