Appeal of Cabanas

odiesam

I admittedly have not sailed on a ship with cabanas yet but we are booked for a cruise on the Eurodam this April. So far I just don't "get" the appeal of the cabanas but maybe I am missing something. I enjoy the sun ( I know it is unhealthy) and I love the open air of an upper deck of the ship. I enjoy getting up to walk over to get myself a drink. Why do I need a cabana? Is it because the appearance of the cabanas means there are not enough chairs for normal loungers like myself? I also enjoy people watching from the spot of my deck chair which I would think you would lose with a cabana.

What am I missing?

Thanks for any thoughts on your exoeriences.

Hi there.

I personally don't see the appeal of cabanas, either. Perhaps for different reasons than you do, but I agree that they don't seem like the greatest idea to me. From what I've read here, most people are enjoying the Retreat cabanas (set apart from the hustle and bustle of the Lido) but many people have mixed feelins on the Lido cabanas. I will find out for sure in just a few days, but it seems that the Lido cabanas might be taking up deck space that could be put to good use. It doesn't seem to me they'd get much air, either. To each their own, but I have strong objections to cruiselines imposing a premium on what has traditionally been public outdoor space. (The Princess sanctuary rubs me the wrong way, too.)

If you want to be in the midst of activities and people watching, then a retreat cabana is definitly not for you. My oldest daughter's (23) first reaction when we got on the ship was that this was not good for people watching. But I can tell you that for my family the retreat area was our favorite place to relax, sun, shade, and read on the ship. We had a dedicated place to go each day and never worried about getting lounge chairs. I too am I sun person- my husband and son stayed inside and outside- and there was some indirect sun in there- and the "ladies" spent all of our time on the lounges and soft seating outside. We were there anytime that we weren't on land- either sea days- or before and after we went ashore when the sun was out. Actually, because of this place to go, we spent no time on our two SS verandas! We just enjoyed being pampered a bit and most all, having a dedicated, private place to go. This was money well spent for me- but it seems like it is a waste for you if you will never spend any time inside.

And as for the ones on land...we've been to a number of beaches in the Carib. Neither the Princess nor the HAL private beach does it for us. They would not make the top 5, and probably not even the top 10 on our list. Overcrowed and just so so. Cannot imagine paying for cabana of any sort in St. Lucia, Veradero, Cayman, etc. Who says the cruise lines can't invent demand. Apparently they are usually booked solid....probably one of the reasons for the stop! Could be why they tried them on board. Are the ones on board booked solid?

They generate revenue.

Becasue passengers book them. If and when passengers lose interest....they will vanish.

There are always passengers who want something that the majority do not have and they will book them. When and if they remain unbooked on a consistent basis they will vanish and be replaced by something else that interests passengers.

Do not confuse cabanas appearing empty with actually being unbooked. Quite the contrary! Last week, when you walked by the retreat, you would have assumed that most cabanas were empty all week. I can tell you that ALL cabanas were booked for the entire week when we arrived on the ship.

Different ideas for different people.... I would have paid NOT to have had to stay in one of the lido cabanas on the Eurodam. There was a steady procession of people passing by, they seemed slightly claustrophobic and there was continuous "elevator" music in the area. I would also not pay for a retreat cabana, and if I had, I would be one who would not be there much. There were so many areas of the ship that were less crowded, more open. We never had trouble finding a group of lounge chairs together in our choice of sun or shade, or in quiet areas with great views of the sea or activity. We were on the Eurodam Christmas cruise which was sold out.

Do not confuse cabanas appearing empty with actually being unbooked. Quite the contrary! Last week, when you walked by the retreat, you would have assumed that most cabanas were empty all week. I can tell you that ALL cabanas were booked for the entire week when we arrived on the ship.

Exactly. To be certain that you will have a cabana prior to sailing you must book for the entire week because that is the only way HAL offers them for pre-sale. At sailing any cabanas that aren't pre-sold for the entire week are THEN made available at daily rates.

In our case we definitely wanted a cabana for the two sea days. If we paid the daily rate--assuming daily rental was even available--we'd already be out half the weekly rate anyway. So, we went ahead and paid for a whole week even though we're not sure if we'll use it beyond the sea days. I'm glad that we did because all of the Lido cabanas sold out the first day they were available to be booked for our cruise (it's a charter so all the excursions, restaurants, cabanas, etc. opened up on the same day).

I agree with Whenzuc. They are of great value, nice ammenities. You can avoid the rush to get lounge chairs by the pool and it always available to you without any hassle. You have sun and shade. If you want an alcoholic or any drink the cabana attendant will get it or you can walk to the bar at the crows nest. I also found the Lido pool area to be crowded not so much by the pool cabanas but by all the table and chairs. They could take away some of the tables and put out more loungers. The Eurodam does have plenty of loungers around the lido deck and also on the deck above the retreat area ( a nice quiet area). You will definitley like the Eurodam and all it s features. Visit Jimmy at the piano bar, very good entertainer.

Archived