• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Yes that's right it's on Paradise Street opposite McDonalds just before the start of Liverpool One. I'm sure that at least one of the pubs on Mathew Street will also sell Scouse but don't hold me to that.

Debbie:)

:rolleyes:Paradise Street. Forgive me. I've only lived here 51 years!:rolleyes:

TOWNCAR T--I have been keeping up with this thread (silently) ---the more that you post, the more that I know we are going to have a very full day when we come into Liverpool.

A couple of questions--first we are docking on August 31, so we plan to spend the early morning on a ferry, a regular one---not the one for tourists. Is there more than one ferry route and if so which do you suggest we take round trip to end up back where we started from? Second, many cities offer a "hop on/hop off" bus that routes itself pass key tourist site so that you may a single fare and basically stop at what interests you and you get to go at your own pace. Does such a service exist in Liverpool? Finally, so many suggestions have been made that of course seeing everything is not possible. Assuming after the ferry we had from 10am-4pm with a break for lunch, and further assuming that a little Beatle tourism would go a very long way, what would you say are the not to be missed attractions for a first time visitor with limited time?

Since you have taken such a keen interest in all of us visiting your city, you probably have a list of all the ships calling at Liverpool this year (this list being apart from ships commencing or terminating cruises in Liverpool). But on the off chance you don't, here is the list for this season as compiled by your local port authority. http://www.portofliverpool.co.uk/assets/pdf/Cruise-Leaflet2009.pdf

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

TOWNCAR T--I have been keeping up with this thread (silently) ---the more that you post, the more that I know we are going to have a very full day when we come into Liverpool.

A couple of questions--first we are docking on August 31, so we plan to spend the early morning on a ferry, a regular one---not the one for tourists. Is there more than one ferry route and if so which do you suggest we take round trip to end up back where we started from? Second, many cities offer a "hop on/hop off" bus that routes itself pass key tourist site so that you may a single fare and basically stop at what interests you and you get to go at your own pace. Does such a service exist in Liverpool? Finally, so many suggestions have been made that of course seeing everything is not possible. Assuming after the ferry we had from 10am-4pm with a break for lunch, and further assuming that a little Beatle tourism would go a very long way, what would you say are the not to be missed attractions for a first time visitor with limited time?

Since you have taken such a keen interest in all of us visiting your city, you probably have a list of all the ships calling at Liverpool this year (this list being apart from ships commencing or terminating cruises in Liverpool). But on the off chance you don't, here is the list for this season as compiled by your local port authority. http://www.portofliverpool.co.uk/assets/pdf/Cruise-Leaflet2009.pdf

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

As it happens, I didn't know about all those cruise ships. I only got interested when I saw the Crown Princess thread and that sort of grew. I am not any sort of guide. I'm just a regular cruiser like most people on CC. I like it when someone helps me out with a destination (like people have with your own great city) and so I thought I'd just do what I can to help visitors to Liverpool.

Anyway, as far as the HoHo bus goes, here's a post that I made on a Crown Princess thread that might help.

If you stroll slowly then I guess you could make the walk to the HoHo bus last two minutes! Really, it stops right in front of the Liver Buildings, which will be pretty much the first thing you will see when you step off the ship (It's the building with the big birds on top)

Here's a map of the route

https://media.city-sightseeing.com/images/library/media/inventory/24/Doc/tour-map.pdf

Here's a link to the HoHo information page:

http://www.city-sightseeing.com/index.phtml?command=search&clear-search=true&destinations=liverpool

HEADS UP!! This company is the same company that runs the HoHo buses in London, Belfast, Glasgow & Edinburgh as well as 80 places all over the UK and Europe. If you keep your ticket from the first place that you ride, it entitles you to a 10% discount in other places. I can't find this on their website, but that's what they told us in Cadiz and it was printed on the ticket.:)

Correction: The 10% discount is on the FAQ section on the website

As for the 'must-sees' that's difficult, as it depends on your personal taste and how much 'Beatle' stuff you want to do.

Personally I'd say that St George's Hall is my number one. It's a wonderful building. If Jean the guide is on she may do you a (free) personalised tour. She's great and very knowledgeable, and likes Americans. Yanks get a warm welcome all over Liverpool, as the city has very long and close ties with the USA. There's a great book by Ron Jones called 'The Liverpool Connection' that details the long association between Liverpool and the USA.

Then there's the ferry. (By the way there's only one route. It takes about 20 minutes return before 10am, after which it's a 50 minute round-trip sightseeing cruise). It departs right alongside your ship. You can't miss it.

Then there's the Maritime Museum and the Albert Dock area. There is plenty to see and do there, including a Beatles' Museum if you're that interested. If you want a taste of the Beatles without paying for a museum or tour, then Matthew Street is well worth a visit.

I had meant to write I know that it's difficult to answer a question regarding choice of sightseeing when you don't know someone's preferences but you answered my question the way I intended, which was I wanted it based on your point of view. And I know you are doing this thread simply how of personal interest as you so stated at it's start. I just thought you would love to see how popular Liverpool has become as a port of call by seeing a list of ships calling.

Finally, I recall from an earlier post that you will be traveling to my native city (New York) this fall and if I can answer any questions I would be most happy to. Also if you are a theater goer, I have access to a lot of electronic discount coupons for tickets at 30%-60% off full price tickets for almost anything you'd want to see on or off Broadway. Please feel free to write me directly at Steven804 @ nyc.rr.com :) and put "cruising soon" in the subject line to avoid my spam filter.

I had meant to write I know that it's difficult to answer a question regarding choice of sightseeing when you don't know someone's preferences but you answered my question the way I intended, which was I wanted it based on your point of view. And I know you are doing this thread simply how of personal interest as you so stated at it's start. I just thought you would love to see how popular Liverpool has become as a port of call by seeing a list of ships calling.

Finally, I recall from an earlier post that you will be traveling to my native city (New York) this fall and if I can answer any questions I would be most happy to. Also if you are a theater goer, I have access to a lot of electronic discount coupons for tickets at 30%-60% off full price tickets for almost anything you'd want to see on or off Broadway. Please feel free to write me directly at Steven804 @ nyc.rr.com :) and put "cruising soon" in the subject line to avoid my spam filter.

Steven. You are absolutely right. I was delighted to see the details on all those ships. I believe this number is bound to increase, as they put in better facilities to make Liverpool an embarkation port for larger ships. Currently there are no baggage handling facilities other than those at Langton Dock, which is pretty grotty and can't handle the bigger ships. Thanks for the link.

Yes we will be in NYC (again!) at the end of October to start our celebrations for 25 years of marriage. Last year we went to see the Radio City Christmas show, but we are too early for it this year. I may well email you and take you up on that kind offer.

Tom:)

I posted this on another thread to help with some ideas when visiting Liverpool for a day. As Liverpool is becoming an increasingly popular cruise destination I thought I'd give it its own thread. It's my home city and I'm very proud of it. I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Liverpool as best I can. In the meantime, here are some suggestions:

First of all, I am not a tour guide. I’m just someone that loves the city of Liverpool. I have lived and worked here virtually all of my life. I am also passionate about cruising and hope to help some of my fellow cruisers to enjoy my city. There is a good informative website at http://www.visitliverpool.com/

I am working on the basis that your ship docks at 7am, but that you won’t come ashore until at least 8.30 to 9am. Remember that Liverpool is a working city and that you’ll be arriving on a normal work day. The Pier Head where you dock is in the business district, so when you come ashore there will be lots of people arriving for work.

I am pretty sure that the first ferry tour is at 10am (before then it’s just a working ferry) and the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am. I’d suggest that you enjoy the waterfront, which is a world heritage site and hopefully the building work that has scarred it during the whole of 2008 will be completed by July.

If you look around you will see the Titanic memorial, on which can still be seen signs of bomb damage. It doesn’t have Titanic named anywhere on it. http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_memorial-liverpool_engineers.shtml

The three buildings you see are called the ‘Three Graces’ and I believe that you can access the entrance hall of each. Don’t worry in case they are not open to the public. This is England. If they ask you to leave they’ll be very polite. The Liver (pronounced Lie –ver) building is my favourite. Check out the Liver birds on top. Legend says that if they fly away then a great catastrophe will befall the city. They’re still there despite Hitler’s best efforts.

For anyone, like me, with an interest in history, there’s an interesting plaque, built into a wall on the left of the Pier Head as you look towards the buildings. It commemorates more than a million American soldiers who passed through the port during the second world war on their way to free Europe. We owe those boys an immense debt and I often wonder how many of them didn’t make it home. The plaque is relatively small and you may have to look for it, but stop by, take a photo and remember what we owe them.

Although the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am the buildings surrounding it are worth a visit themselves. This is the Albert Dock area. For anyone interested there is the Tate Art Gallery in the dock. This is one of the finest modern galleries outside London, so I’m told. Admission is free, but again it doesn’t open until 10am. Those of you more interested in art can substitute the Tate for the Maritime Museum. Or do both! http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/information/

After taking a look around the Pier Head and Albert Dock buildings, it should be time for the Maritime Museum to open at 10am. Again, admission is free, and inside you can find information and exhibits tracing the maritime history of this great city from its earliest beginnings right up to the present day. My favourite exhibit is the Titanic exhibition (remember Titanic was registered in Liverpool, the home of the White Star Line) or the ‘Liverpool in WW2’ area. You can spend up to two hours in here quite easily. There are also outside exhibits such as the Harbour Master’s house and many boats are open to the public. I suggest you stay here for an hour or so. For those who like the Beatles there is a Beatles Museum (entry fee applies) at the Albert Dock. There are also tours which leave from around here. Be aware that this is a tourist area so it will get busy in July. You can get more info, and even book a tour online at

http://www.albertdock.com/

After you have finished at the Maritime Museum, you should walk back to the Pier Head (you’ll only be a couple of hundred yards away) and take the Mersey Ferry tour. Check out the timetable, so you’re not waiting too long. You can find this and even buy your (cheap) tickets online at: http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/

The tour will take you about an hour. You can get a snack lunch onboard. After the tour you can then head up into Liverpool proper. Don’t forget you will still be right in front of your ship, so you can even go back on board, freshen up, have lunch and still have a full afternoon ahead.

A taxi up into the city centre will cost very little, as it’s only half a mile or so right up to say Lime Street Station. However, it’s much more interesting on foot. Remember that you are walking in the footsteps of your forefathers when you walk through Liverpool, as something like nine million people passed through the port en route to the new world.

Also look around you and try to imagine it as it was in 1941 after the German bombing campaign reduced the city’s buildings to rubble, but couldn’t crush it’s spirit. Just google ‘Liverpool blitz’ and you’ll see what I mean.

For an interesting walk into the city you should walk up Water Street. On your right you can see India Buildings, which housed the offices of some of the world’s biggest shipping lines. At the top of the hill, just before Dale Street, you can see the Town Hall. This is an interesting building. I’m not sure if it’s open to the public or not, but I don’t think so. Worth a photo, as it was built in 1754.

Carry on up Dale Street until you get right to the end. Stay on the right hand side of the road so that you can navigate your way across the roads around the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel. You want to cross over to the bottom of William Brown Street to see the magnificent buildings there. If you want more art galleries or museums then you have two of the best here. The World Museum would take you hours to get around as would the Walker Art Gallery (entry to both is free). Visit these if you wish, but DO NOT MISS St George’s Hall, which stands proudly at the top of the hill. The entrance is actually at the other end of the building in St John’s Lane. Go into the Heritage centre and follow the (free) guided tour through the law courts and the magnificent hall itself. It’s a real unmissable building. See what I mean at: http://www.stgeorgeshall.eu/

By now it will be mid-afternoon and I think your ship sails at 7pm. You can now decide between two alternatives. Those of you who enjoy shopping can head into the centre (a couple of hundred yards away) and visit the shopping centres in Church Street, Lord Street and the new ‘Liverpool One’ Centre.

Those of you still craving culture should jump a cab up to the Anglican Cathedral (no more than £2-3) and visit the first of our two cathedrals. After visiting the Anglican Cathedral, take a walk back along Hope Street to see the magnificent Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ The King (Paddy’s wigwam to the locals). This was finished in 1967 and mass was said here by Pope John Paul II in 1982.

After shopping or visiting the cathedrals, you will probably be ready to go back to the ship, hopefully with a hatful of memories of a wonderful city. I should know, I’ve been here over 50 years!!

All the activities I’ve scheduled for the morning are within a few hundred yards of the ship and are within easy, flat walking range. Everywhere I’ve mentioned is wheelchair accessible. Have a fantastic visit to my city, then go and tell the world!!

Town Car T,

Thank you for all the information you have provided. We will be in Liverpool on July23rd. My 15 year old son would like to go to the Liverpool Football Club. What would be the best way to get there (other than the ship's tour). We would like to combine this with multiple other places that you have suggested.

Best regards,

Linda

Town Car T,

Thank you for all the information you have provided. We will be in Liverpool on July23rd. My 15 year old son would like to go to the Liverpool Football Club. What would be the best way to get there (other than the ship's tour). We would like to combine this with multiple other places that you have suggested.

Best regards,

Linda

In my own view, the best and definitely the quickest way would be by taxi. There will doubtless be several black cabs waiting at the Pier Head, and there are taxi ranks dotted around the city too. It would only cost a few pounds, as it isn't actually very far out of the centre. Have you checked out the opening times/tickets etc. on the Liverpool FC website?Enjoy your trip!

There is a slavery museme in the docks free, that is very good. There was a war one but that might have finished.There is a duck tour from the dock,must do that, will take you around liverpool and into the water. We also have an open bus tour. Try not to eat in the Albert Dock, very pricy and mostly mediocre.Lots of good places in liverpool one. (the new shopping aera, brilliant ) Didn't like the tate myself.It's very easy to get lost in the shopping aera,i do and i've been in liverpool all my life,but it's new and a bit cofusing. Just make your way to the bus station and Albert Dock is over the rd from there. Liverpudlians are very friendly and will always help you. We love our tourists.

Although I am not a fanatic fan, my travelmates are and as luck would have it we will be in Liverpool on August 31st. Thanks for the info Towncar T!!:D

No problem Steven. I'm not a fanatic either, although I do like their music. If your friend wants any info regarding venues or anything then just ask.

T:)

In my own view, the best and definitely the quickest way would be by taxi. There will doubtless be several black cabs waiting at the Pier Head, and there are taxi ranks dotted around the city too. It would only cost a few pounds, as it isn't actually very far out of the centre. Have you checked out the opening times/tickets etc. on the Liverpool FC website?Enjoy your trip!

Towncar T,

I purchased tickets on the internet for 2 p.m. How long would you allow for a taxi ride? Tickets were 11 GBP for myself & husband and 6.50 for < 16 years.

You have been a wealth of knowledge. Thank you once again.

Linda

Towncar T,

I purchased tickets on the internet for 2 p.m. How long would you allow for a taxi ride? Tickets were 11 GBP for myself & husband and 6.50 for < 16 years.

Linda

Taxi ride from the centre of the city will be no more than 15 minutes, even if the traffic is heavy. In reality, it's more like 5 minutes. A good plan might be to get a black cab from Lime Street Station after seeing St George's Hall, as it's right across the road from there and there is always a line of black cabs waiting for fares. They're right up the side street between the station and the Empire Theatre, which you will see across the road too. Black cabs have a meter that shows the fare, so very little chance of getting ripped off. You can also hail a black cab in the street if its light is on. Most cabs are driven by locals, so you will be guaranteed a laugh on the way to the stadium. Be ready for some banter if the driver is an Everton fan! :)T

Towncar T,

Linda

By the way, if your son is a Liverpool fan then there is a big Liverpool FC souvenir/merchandise store in the new Liverpool One shopping centre, which is a 5/10 minute walk from the ship. Hope you enjoy your day in Liverpool.

I'll be in your part of the world too, as we sail out of San Diego in November on our Panama Canal cruise. Maybe I'll ask you for some tips?;)

Just a word to the wise 31st August is a public holiday here in England so expect everywhere to be very busy, but very fun!:D

Keep up the good work T!

Cheers Debs:)

Gotta spread the word. Liverpool is a great city and the people are as good as it gets. I want our visitors to go back home and tell their friends what a wonderful city we have. But most of all I want them to enjoy their time here. If I/we can do just a little bit to make that happen then that will be fantastic!:):):)

Cheers Debs:)

Gotta spread the word. Liverpool is a great city and the people are as good as it gets. I want our visitors to go back home and tell their friends what a wonderful city we have. But most of all I want them to enjoy their time here. If I/we can do just a little bit to make that happen then that will be fantastic!:):):)

Amen to that brother T:D

Liverpool has been a sleeping giant for quite some time compared to our neighbours down the M62 and it is heartening to see the changes that are taking place.

I'm proud to tell people I'm from Liverpool and it's great to see other people, whether from the UK or abroad, being able to appreciate where that pride comes from.

By the way, if your son is a Liverpool fan then there is a big Liverpool FC souvenir/merchandise store in the new Liverpool One shopping centre, which is a 5/10 minute walk from the ship. Hope you enjoy your day in Liverpool.

I'll be in your part of the world too, as we sail out of San Diego in November on our Panama Canal cruise. Maybe I'll ask you for some tips?;)

Absolutely Towncar T if easier, my e-mail is Allington1@sbcglobal.net

Just came across a good shop on the Albert Dock for anyone wanting a souvenir photograph of Liverpool, old or new. It's situated on the same row as the Tate and has a great selection of prints and photos of Liverpool. I bought a really nice canvas print for my office wall.:)

If you want a fantastic photo of your ship set against the backdrop of the world-famous Liverpool waterfront, then you might want to jump on the Mersey ferry to take your photo from across the river. But remember, after 10am the ferry does the 50 minute sightseeing cruise as opposed to the regular 20 minute return crossing before 10am.:)

Was very disappointed that this was closed the last time we were on a cruise that visited Liverpool.

Having visted war rooms in Dover Castle and Malta, and just recently seen where convoys departed from (Halifax and Sydney) on 'our side of the pond', we're really looking forward to visiting the Liverpool control centre of the Atlantic Convoys.

http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/

Was very disappointed that this was closed the last time we were on a cruise that visited Liverpool.

Having visted war rooms in Dover Castle and Malta, and just recently seen where convoys departed from (Halifax and Sydney) on 'our side of the pond', we're really looking forward to visiting the Liverpool control centre of the Atlantic Convoys.

http://www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk/

Yes, this does seem to have some strange opening hours. I'll try to find out some information on this place and post it on this thread. I'm not sure what's happened, but last time I went it was also closed.

T:)

Hi Tom,

Just wanted you to know that I tried a recipe of Scouse that I found on the internet and it was sensational. I am a little too Irish so I just had to add some green peas so I guess it was more like an Irish stew but it was delicious.

Kay

Hi Tom,

Just wanted you to know that I tried a recipe of Scouse that I found on the internet and it was sensational. I am a little too Irish so I just had to add some green peas so I guess it was more like an Irish stew but it was delicious.

Kay

Well, as there's no definitive recipe for scouse then I guess green peas is ok. I must confess I've never seen it with green peas, but one restaurant in Liverpool makes it with red wine and garlic and calls it scouse, so I suppose anything goes! Glad you liked it.:)

T

I went down to see the Crown Princess today. Here's a photo I took from the other side of the Mersey. All the people that I met from the ship said how impressed they'd been with Liverpool. That was nice to hear.:):)

DSCF1180.jpg.e5157c7dfc2eae09b8fd18b97cea48b4.jpg

Edited by Towncar T