• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

No problem Walter. Just keep popping in on this thread and we'll do our best to help.

Keep NJ warm. We'll be there in a few weeks' time.

T

Have a great holiday. The weather is just perfect right now. You better hurry as it doesn't stay this way for long:eek:

Walter

Have a great holiday. The weather is just perfect right now. You better hurry as it doesn't stay this way for long:eek:

Walter

No worries, Walt. We're only staying a few days (and really we're only landing in Newark and then crossing the Hudson) and then we're off to Southern California.:D

Walter - thanks for all the Liverpool info. We were there Aug. 31 during the Beatles festival and had a grand day, thanks to your suggestions. We started out walking early while the streets were empty and by the time we got out of St. George's Hall, the town was rocking!

Brigitte

Walter - thanks for all the Liverpool info. We were there Aug. 31 during the Beatles festival and had a grand day, thanks to your suggestions. We started out walking early while the streets were empty and by the time we got out of St. George's Hall, the town was rocking!

Brigitte

Er that would be Tom actually. Walt's my new buddy!!;)

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Come back soon!:)

T

• 4 weeks later...

There is a lot of talk in the press about Liverpool upgrading its facilities so that larger cruise lines can make Liverpool a port of embarkation. Currently there are no turnaround facilities at the new terminal and only some smaller cruise lines embark at the fairly shabby Langton Dock. The city has made a planning application for this to happen, but apparently Southampton has objected because Liverpool used government money to finance the new terminal. Hopefully, it will all be sorted out, as it would be great to see ships sailing from Liverpool waterfront on a more frequent basis. I don't think Southampton would suffer much, because of its proximity to London and the continent. Watch this space!!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Towncar T

Thanks so much for the info.

We are a family of 4 adults coming to Liverpool next June and want to also visit the Isle of Man. We will be flying into Heathrow on Monday June 7 and hoping to arrive in IOM by late afternoon. Options to get to IOM? B&B recommendations on IOM?

Heidi

http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket/Book-Now/

http://www.cronk-e-dhooney.com/accommodation

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g190929-d663633-r33562830-Albany_House-Peel_Isle_of_Man.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

The above links are places we have stayed in the IOM, and we usually travelby ferry from liverpool. You can. of course also fly.....

Towncar T

We are a family of 4 adults coming to Liverpool next June and want to also visit the Isle of Man. We will be flying into Heathrow on Monday June 7 and hoping to arrive in IOM by late afternoon. Options to get to IOM? B&B recommendations on IOM?

Heidi

Hi

Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a nice cruise through the Panama Canal. Sorry, but I can't help with the IOM. My recollections of our 1972 school trip there wouldn't be of much use to you I'm afraid. Looks like poet123 has given some useful links though.

T:)

• 2 weeks later...
Towncar T

Heidi

Hi

You cannot fly from LHR to IOM direct, but you can from London City/ Luton or Gatwick.

You will have to transfer and fly but you may get a good deal if you check the comparison sites ...

Got no info on B&B's on the island sorry

There is a lot of talk in the press about Liverpool upgrading its facilities so that larger cruise lines can make Liverpool a port of embarkation. Currently there are no turnaround facilities at the new terminal and only some smaller cruise lines embark at the fairly shabby Langton Dock. The city has made a planning application for this to happen, but apparently Southampton has objected because Liverpool used government money to finance the new terminal. Hopefully, it will all be sorted out, as it would be great to see ships sailing from Liverpool waterfront on a more frequent basis. I don't think Southampton would suffer much, because of its proximity to London and the continent. Watch this space!!:)

I also hope that something happens.

I feel that our city has so much more to offer in the way of culture, places to visit and see, and in truth just a whole lot more than Southampton can offer.

The ability for large cruise ships to dock nr the Peir Head is, to me, it a minor thing. Peel Holdings who own the land (they own the Port of Liverpool) have the money, and just like 12 Quays on the Wirral side, the investment happend and they now have a state of the art ro-ro terminal...

As TC says watch this space !!!!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I really hope that this does come to something. It would be great to be able to reach a cruise port within an hour of home. It would also be a boost to the tourist industry of not only Liverpool but the whole of the North West possibly as far as West Yorks. It would give visitors a whole new view of the UK.

Also it would open up cruising itinieries as they would not always be based on sailing times from the South East coastal ports.

It would be so much more convenient for cruisers travelling from all of the region and especially Scotland.

It would be a big boost for Liverpool but also the regional airports such as Speke, Manchester and Blackpool.

The possibilities are endless.....................

I really hope that this does come to something. It would be great to be able to reach a cruise port within an hour of home. It would also be a boost to the tourist industry of not only Liverpool but the whole of the North West possibly as far as West Yorks. It would give visitors a whole new view of the UK.

Also it would open up cruising itinieries as they would not always be based on sailing times from the South East coastal ports.

It would be so much more convenient for cruisers travelling from all of the region and especially Scotland.

It would be a big boost for Liverpool but also the regional airports such as Speke, Manchester and Blackpool.

The possibilities are endless.....................

I think it is inevitable that it will happen, even if not this time around. It makes so much sense. The city has so much maritime history, and there can't be many finer backdrops to a cruise terminal than the World Heritage Site that is the Liverpool waterfront. It will be another opportunity to show what a great city and region we have here in Liverpool and the north west of England.:)

• 1 month later...

Well I guess it won't be long until the big ships sail into Liverpool again, so I thought I'd just bump this thread up to let people know it's still here and we'll be happy to answer any questions about our city for anyone who's hoping to visit.

T:)

Wow, thanks Towncar T, for all the great information. I have just spent a little over an hour reading through the 6 pages on Liverpool and going to a lot of the sites that were recommended. Our group of 8 (of which I am the unpaid tour director getting to make all our arrangements) is sailing on Crown Princess June 23. We had already decided not to hire a private tour guide in Liverpool as it looked like a great place to just ENJOY. We will start with the HOHO bus and get off at the cathedrals and St. George's Hall for sure. After lunch it will be back to Albert Dock for the Beatles Story and possibly the ferry tour. Can't wait.

Thank you so much for all the info!!!! I am a big Beatles fan, saw them in Montreal in 1964... Going to Liverpool is a dream of mine and will finally make it there this summer on our cruise! .... if you see a 59 year old woman with a beatles t-shirt, beatles socks, sweater and cap and a husband in tow.... that will be me!

how much pounds should we bring for a good day of touring and souvenir shopping ?

:)

Wow, thanks Towncar T, for all the great information. I have just spent a little over an hour reading through the 6 pages on Liverpool and going to a lot of the sites that were recommended. Our group of 8 (of which I am the unpaid tour director getting to make all our arrangements) is sailing on Crown Princess June 23. We had already decided not to hire a private tour guide in Liverpool as it looked like a great place to just ENJOY. We will start with the HOHO bus and get off at the cathedrals and St. George's Hall for sure. After lunch it will be back to Albert Dock for the Beatles Story and possibly the ferry tour. Can't wait.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm glad this thread has started up again. I had a blast last year and met a few new CC pals in 'the pool' too. Liverpool is an incredibly welcoming city. Feel free to ask any questions and enjoy your day.

Thank you so much for all the info!!!! I am a big Beatles fan, saw them in Montreal in 1964... Going to Liverpool is a dream of mine and will finally make it there this summer on our cruise! .... if you see a 59 year old woman with a beatles t-shirt, beatles socks, sweater and cap and a husband in tow.... that will be me!

how much pounds should we bring for a good day of touring and souvenir shopping ?

:)

In all honesty, it depends how much of a shopper or a spender you are. You could actually have a great day without spending a penny, as many attractions are free, including one or two Beatles places. Most Beatles-related attractions have entry fees etc. Credit cards are widely accepted here now that we have moved into the 21st century.:rolleyes: Cash is only necessary for stuff like taxis or incidentals. 50 quid in your pocket and a VISA or Mastercard will be more than enough. Note that American Express cards are not as widely accepted as Visa or MAstercard.

Enjoy your day in 'the pool of life':):)

Hello again,

Hope you enjoyed your Panama Cruise Towncar aka Tom !

As you might remember we're on the Crown in August,and will be doing the Beatles taxi ride.Is there a great place you would like to recommend for a quick lunch?

LULUBELL aka margalit

Hello again,

Hope you enjoyed your Panama Cruise Towncar aka Tom !

As you might remember we're on the Crown in August,and will be doing the Beatles taxi ride.Is there a great place you would like to recommend for a quick lunch?

LULUBELL aka margalit

Hiya! I'd almost forgotten you were coming to Liverpool. It seems like an age since we were on Brilliance. My LA hat is still going strong and gets an occasional run-out on the golf course.

The Panama Canal cruise was spectacular, thanks, although I got sick in San Diego and didn't quite get better until we got home. Met some great people on the cruise.

As for lunch, I've met you and your family but I'm not sure what your taste is. Tell me what you'd like and I (or one of the other 'locals' who visit this thread) will sort you out nicely.

No offence, Poet, but I used to be a member of the Raquet Club in the 1980's and unless it is completely different it wouldn't be a great choice for these Californian free spirits!!!:):):)

Hiya! I'd almost forgotten you were coming to Liverpool. It seems like an age since we were on Brilliance. My LA hat is still going strong and gets an occasional run-out on the golf course.

The Panama Canal cruise was spectacular, thanks, although I got sick in San Diego and didn't quite get better until we got home. Met some great people on the cruise.

As for lunch, I've met you and your family but I'm not sure what your taste is. Tell me what you'd like and I (or one of the other 'locals' who visit this thread) will sort you out nicely.

No offence, Poet, but I used to be a member of the Raquet Club in the 1980's and unless it is completely different it wouldn't be a great choice for these Californian free spirits!!!:):):)

Why?.....we lunch there quite often,more recently than the 1980's:p and it is the epitome of "britishness" imo, and the Americans I have met..(quite a few) would love it. Not free spiritish, I accept, but still nice:D so I bow to your superior judgment on these particular cruisers:)

Why?.....we lunch there quite often,more recently than the 1980's:p and it is the epitome of "britishness" imo, and the Americans I have met..(quite a few) would love it. Not free spiritish, I accept, but still nice:D so I bow to your superior judgment on these particular cruisers:)

I also have lots of US friends who would love that sort of atmosphere, but my guess is that the boys will want something quick and easy. Anyway, I'd do the Panoramic any day before the Raquet Club, if only for the fantastic view.:)

I also have lots of US friends who would love that sort of atmosphere, but my guess is that the boys will want something quick and easy. Anyway, I'd do the Panoramic any day before the Raquet Club, if only for the fantastic view.:)

ooH yes, that too, not for me though....I am afraid of heights, and none too keen on lifts:o Pan Am is quite good on occasion too. As are Monro,

London Carriageworks, and Simply Heathcotes. I also didn't appreciate they are are all men;)

[

Edited by poet123

ooH yes, that too, not for me though....I am afraid of heights, and none too keen on lifts:o Pan Am is quite good on occasion too. As are Monro,

London Carriageworks, and Simply Heathcotes. I also didn't appreciate they are are all men;)

[

They're not all men. They're a couple with two lively teenagers as I recall. The places you mention are all really nice, but probably more suited to a nice dinner than a quick family lunch. Probably best to wait until Margalit tells us what sort of food they want and then we can work something out for them.:)