• Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Towncar T,

Thanks for all of the information. Would you have any thoughts on how difficult is would be to get from Liverpool to Sheffeld and back in one day? I am a big user of Sheffeld steel wood lathe tools. This is probably a long shot from a timing standpoint, not to mention my wife's likely objection, but I would love to visit the Robert Sorby factory.

Not something that I would do, given your time constraints, but here are the facts:

Sheffield is just over 80 miles from Liverpool, but whichever route you take is prone to traffic jams. I don't know where the factory is, but I would guess you should allow 2 - 2.5 hours each way. By the time you factor in getting a hire car or whatever, you'd only have a very short time there, with a real risk of missing the ship.

Anyway, why miss out on everything that Liverpool has to offer to take a chance of waving the ship off as she passes the Mersey Bar? Save Sheffield for a longer land-trip when you can do it justice. JMHO:)

Towncar T,

I have enjoyed reading your helpful posts. I have a question...would you be able to give directions for getting to Speke Hall via bus? I don't really understand the directions on the National Trust site for Speke Hall. We are traveling on the Crown Princess in June.

Thanks,

Lisa

Right. I have contacted Merseytravel and here's the deal. It was actually very useful on a wider level.

To get to Speke Hall you need to walk across to the bus station at the new 'Liverpool One' shopping complex. (only a couple of hundred yards and right opposite the Albert Dock) You need to get the bus number 80A, which goes from stop number 7. The buses are every 15 minutes Monday to Friday but every half hour on Sundays, when I believe you will be visiting.

You should ask the driver to tell you when you get to the Speke Hall stop, which is actually called Speke Hall Drive. You will then have a 10-15 minute walk to the hall itself, which is well signposted.

Now here's the main thing. There is a special 'saver' ticket you can buy at the bus station called a 'Saveaway' ticket, which is valid for the trains, buses and even the ferries. Currently this costs only £3.30 per adult. You should buy one of these.

The bonus is then that you can not only travel on the buses around the city, but you can also use it to take the ferry tour, which I would heartily recommend. The only stipulation is that you MUST break your journey on the ferry (i.e. you can't just stay on and go all the way around.) However, this is no big deal, as you can get off the ferry at Seacombe and have a cup of coffee or something while you get some fantastic photographs of your ship across the river against the beautiful, World Heritage site that is the Liverpool waterfront. Then you just re-board the next ferry and continue your journey back to Liverpool via the tour route. The tour takes approximately one hour plus your coffee break. If you don't want to break your journey you will have to buy a full-fare ferry ticket, called a River Explorer, which is currently £6.50 and only entitles you to use the ferry.

For anyone reading this who is visiting mid-week, Saveaway tickets are only valid for travel after 9.30 Monday-Friday but are OK all day at weekends.

The Merseytravel information helpline is 0151 236 7676 and they are very helpful indeed.

Here is a link to their website (careful, because I think their bus timetables are out of date!)

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/

And here is a link to the ferries website, with more information about other linked attractions.

http://merseyferries.co.uk/

What about the Hop on Hop off Bus route for the Beatles Tour? Do you think they will be running their regular route with the Triathalon going on June 27th? I could not find any contact info to contact them to see it they will be running a Beatles route that day.

I spoke to the guy (Paul) from the HoHo bus company in Liverpool. He said that they will definitely still be running on the day of the triathlon but that he hadn't yet been advised of the road closures. He asked me to ring back nearer the time. If anyone wants any more info then the number to ring is 0151 203 3920

Towncar T,

Thank you for the info for Speke Hall. That is so helpful!! The ferry tour sounds wonderful, too. We will definitely give that a whirl.

Lisa

I think you will love Speke Hall and the river cruise is a blast, especially if you get it for free! Can you post this info on your individual cruise thread please so that everyone gets to know about it. :)

I think you will love Speke Hall and the river cruise is a blast, especially if you get it for free! Can you post this info on your individual cruise thread please so that everyone gets to know about it. :)

I will definitely do this. Thanks again!!

Not something that I would do, given your time constraints, but here are the facts:

Sheffield is just over 80 miles from Liverpool, but whichever route you take is prone to traffic jams. I don't know where the factory is, but I would guess you should allow 2 - 2.5 hours each way. By the time you factor in getting a hire car or whatever, you'd only have a very short time there, with a real risk of missing the ship.

Anyway, why miss out on everything that Liverpool has to offer to take a chance of waving the ship off as she passes the Mersey Bar? Save Sheffield for a longer land-trip when you can do it justice. JMHO:)

Thanks -- I knew this was a long shot.

Liverpool it is! Your previous information about Liverpool is really of value to us. Thanks again.

Towncar T,

I have enjoyed reading your helpful posts. I have a question...would you be able to give directions for getting to Speke Hall via bus? I don't really understand the directions on the National Trust site for Speke Hall. We are traveling on the Crown Princess in June.

Thanks,

Lisa

The easiest way of getting to speke Hall is by firstly getting to Liverpool South Parkway Station...This can be done via Lime St Mainline Station , or the Northen Line Mersey Rail (underground) or by bus 80/80a/86/86a.

From there get the bus 84, direct to the hall.

Dont forget your saveaway tickets...will save you money !!

http://www.merseytravel.net/pdf/tt_001/84%20Liverpool%20South%20Parkway%20-%20Speke%20Hall%20(from%2003%20April%202010).pdf

The easiest way of getting to speke Hall is by firstly getting to Liverpool South Parkway Station...This can be done via Lime St Mainline Station , or the Northen Line Mersey Rail (underground) or by bus 80/80a/86/86a.

http://www.merseytravel.net/pdf/tt_001/84%20Liverpool%20South%20Parkway%20-%20Speke%20Hall%20(from%2003%20April%202010).pdf

Yes, this is definitely another way of getting there. In my opinion though it's probably easier to just walk across the road to Liverpool One and get on one bus that goes straight there rather than walk right up to Lime Street Station (or get a train at James Street)and then have to change at Parkway station. The Saveaway is valid for buses, ferries and trains, so you can take your pick.:)

Tilly, I don't think the 84 goes all the way to the hall does it? They would have to get off at Speke Hall Drive and walk, just like the 80A wouldn't they? I got my info directly from Merseytravel helpline. I haven't been on a Liverpool bus since I used to get the 92B to school!!

Edited by Towncar T

Thank you for this info, too. You have both been very, very helpful.

Many of the longer and more interesting Princess tours are not offered on the date of our port stop in Liverpool and I can't help but think that it might be due to the Triathalon. This makes me worry that it would be risky to schedule them on our own. For example, I really want to see Conwy Castle and the Busy Bus tour that is on the calendar for that day, (we'll be in port 11am-9pm) is over 8 hours long. The similar ship tour is not offered. Any thoughts?

Many of the longer and more interesting Princess tours are not offered on the date of our port stop in Liverpool and I can't help but think that it might be due to the Triathalon. This makes me worry that it would be risky to schedule them on our own. For example, I really want to see Conwy Castle and the Busy Bus tour that is on the calendar for that day, (we'll be in port 11am-9pm) is over 8 hours long. The similar ship tour is not offered. Any thoughts?

North Wales is a lovely place, and I like it very much. However, it seems a shame to go all that way when Liverpool has so much to offer. North Wales also deserves more than the couple of hours that you would have there.

I doubt if tours would be cancelled because of the triathlon, because the buses could just pick you up a couple of hundred yards from where they would normally meet you.

I know I am biased, but I'd just enjoy the day in Liverpool and save North Wales for a trip when you have more time. JMHO:)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, this is definitely another way of getting there. In my opinion though it's probably easier to just walk across the road to Liverpool One and get on one bus that goes straight there rather than walk right up to Lime Street Station (or get a train at James Street)and then have to change at Parkway station. The Saveaway is valid for buses, ferries and trains, so you can take your pick.:)

Tilly, I don't think the 84 goes all the way to the hall does it? They would have to get off at Speke Hall Drive and walk, just like the 80A wouldn't they? I got my info directly from Merseytravel helpline. I haven't been on a Liverpool bus since I used to get the 92B to school!!

Sorry TC..

Liverpool South Park way is on the Merseyrail system , on the Northern Line, that is served in the City by Moorfields and Central stations...

Yes, it is also a main line station , which is a bonus..

The 84 is a brand new service, serving the hall..

It takes 13mins from Central to South Parkway...then the bus will be less than 5 mins..

Unlike you..I do use the busses in the city as well as drive...as lots of the people will not have a car...then, buses, trains and walking will be their main form of transportation...lol

The Saveaway, is a must for any independant tourist visiting our city...

Right. I have contacted Merseytravel and here's the deal. It was actually very useful on a wider level.

You should ask the driver to tell you when you get to the Speke Hall stop, which is actually called Speke Hall Drive. You will then have a 10-15 minute walk to the hall itself, which is well signposted.

Also TC...Speke Hall Drive..???? There is no such road or place...

Maybe Speke Hall Avenue or Speke Hall Road...Either way about a mile walk to the Hall

Sorry TC..

Liverpool South Park way is on the Merseyrail system , on the Northern Line, that is served in the City by Moorfields and Central stations...

Yes, it is also a main line station , which is a bonus..

The 84 is a brand new service, serving the hall..

It takes 13mins from Central to South Parkway...then the bus will be less than 5 mins..

Unlike you..I do use the busses in the city as well as drive...as lots of the people will not have a car...then, buses, trains and walking will be their main form of transportation...lol

The Saveaway, is a must for any independant tourist visiting our city...

Also TC...Speke Hall Drive..???? There is no such road or place...

Maybe Speke Hall Avenue or Speke Hall Road...Either way about a mile walk to the Hall

There you have it folks, from a genuine Liverpool bus user. Couldn't be more accurate advice.

As for the Speke Hall Drive thing, having googled it I think you are right. I just wrote down what the girl at Merseytravel told me. She probably just said it wrongly. One thing we haven't said is how good a place Speke Hall is to visit. It's a fantastic experience and a must for anyone with a sense of history.

Out of interest, Tilly. Would you know how much a return taxi ride to the hall would be from the Pier Head. That might be another way to go for a group of 4 or 5 who don't want to do the ferry trip.:)

There you have it folks, from a genuine Liverpool bus user. Couldn't be more accurate advice.

As for the Speke Hall Drive thing, having googled it I think you are right. I just wrote down what the girl at Merseytravel told me. She probably just said it wrongly. One thing we haven't said is how good a place Speke Hall is to visit. It's a fantastic experience and a must for anyone with a sense of history.

Out of interest, Tilly. Would you know how much a return taxi ride to the hall would be from the Pier Head. That might be another way to go for a group of 4 or 5 who don't want to do the ferry trip.:)

Speke Hall Drive doesnt exist...Just to put things right...I would also say that the walk ,from Speke Road/Boulevard & Speke Hall Road, is a long walk..

A taxi from the city centre, one way would be about £15.

Yes , Speke Hall is a great place to visit, not visited enough in my book , being a local resident to the hall, I get free admission...

Speke Hall is about the furthest out, in Liverpool , that I would suggest an independant day traveler would venture...Just because of it being where it is, a bit isolated, and the public transport not being great...

On an other point, those brave enough to go it alone, rather than go with an organised trip off the cruise, Liverpool is the place to do it...

I would combine a trip to Speke Hall with the following..

Penny Lane...Mendips....Forthlin Road...Strawberry Fields....St Peters Church Woolton....All the above are easily excessable by public transport..

Speke Hall Drive doesnt exist...Just to put things right...I would also say that the walk ,from Speke Road/Boulevard & Speke Hall Road, is a long walk..

A taxi from the city centre, one way would be about £15.

Yes , Speke Hall is a great place to visit, not visited enough in my book , being a local resident to the hall, I get free admission...

Speke Hall is about the furthest out, in Liverpool , that I would suggest an independant day traveler would venture...Just because of it being where it is, a bit isolated, and the public transport not being great...

On an other point, those brave enough to go it alone, rather than go with an organised trip off the cruise, Liverpool is the place to do it...

I would combine a trip to Speke Hall with the following..

Penny Lane...Mendips....Forthlin Road...Strawberry Fields....St Peters Church Woolton....All the above are easily excessable by public transport..

TC and Tilly,

Thank you for all your wonderful instructions and advice. We are looking forward to our day in Liverpool. We will be there the day of the triathalon. Will we still be able to take the bus out to Speke Hall?

Thanks,

Lisa

TC and Tilly,

Thank you for all your wonderful instructions and advice. We are looking forward to our day in Liverpool. We will be there the day of the triathalon. Will we still be able to take the bus out to Speke Hall?

Thanks,

Lisa

If you are on foor you will not have an issue with the triathlon..I would suggest that this is the best way to get about..

As I said previous, a saveaway ticket is your best and cheapest option to get about on public transport..

You can purchase these at James Street Station, and I think at the Ferry Ticket Office at the Pier Head..

Here is the link to the 84 bus from Liverpool South Park Way

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/pdf/tt_001/84%20Liverpool%20South%20Parkway%20-%20Speke%20Hall%20(from%2003%20April%202010).pdf

If I get a chance before cruising season starts, I am going to try to actually 'walk in the shoes' of a cruise-ship visitor to Liverpool. I believe that the cruise ships are having to sail at 5pm this season, rather than 7pm like last year (Maybe because of the tides?). I am going to see how much I can do starting at the cruise terminal at 10am and getting back on board no later than 4pm. I will probably do it one day during the Easter break. Watch this space!!

Hey Towncar - Did you get a chance to walk Liverpool? We are docking there June 27th at 11:00 on the Crown Princess. We have decided to take the Beatles Magical Bus Tour at 14:30. It's kind of right in the middle of the day. Do you have a good self guided walking tour or do you think we will have time to do a HOHO bus. I guess the HOHO bus only runs from 10:00-16:00. Or what about the evening. We don't leave until 21:00

Hey Towncar - Did you get a chance to walk Liverpool? We are docking there June 27th at 11:00 on the Crown Princess. We have decided to take the Beatles Magical Bus Tour at 14:30. It's kind of right in the middle of the day. Do you have a good self guided walking tour or do you think we will have time to do a HOHO bus. I guess the HOHO bus only runs from 10:00-16:00. Or what about the evening. We don't leave until 21:00

Humble apologies. I didn't get around to doing the walk. However, in my opening post I suggested a possible tour, which I re-post below. In my opinion, Liverpool is best enjoyed on foot by anyone who is fit and well. The HoHo bus is a good option for anyone who struggles to get about, but isn't as good as walking.

.................................................................................................

I am working on the basis that your ship docks at 7am, but that you won’t come ashore until at least 8.30 to 9am. Remember that Liverpool is a working city and that you’ll be arriving on a normal work day. The Pier Head where you dock is in the business district, so when you come ashore there will be lots of people arriving for work.

I am pretty sure that the first ferry tour is at 10am (before then it’s just a working ferry) and the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am. I’d suggest that you enjoy the waterfront, which is a world heritage site and hopefully the building work that has scarred it during the whole of 2008 will be completed by July.

If you look around you will see the Titanic memorial, on which can still be seen signs of bomb damage. It doesn’t have Titanic named anywhere on it. http://www.titanic-titanic.com/titanic_memorial-liverpool_engineers.shtml

The three buildings you see are called the ‘Three Graces’ and I believe that you can access the entrance hall of each. Don’t worry in case they are not open to the public. This is England. If they ask you to leave they’ll be very polite. The Liver (pronounced Lie –ver) building is my favourite. Check out the Liver birds on top. Legend says that if they fly away then a great catastrophe will befall the city. They’re still there despite Hitler’s best efforts.

For anyone, like me, with an interest in history, there’s an interesting plaque, built into a wall on the left of the Pier Head as you look towards the buildings. It commemorates more than a million American soldiers who passed through the port during the second world war on their way to free Europe. We owe those boys an immense debt and I often wonder how many of them didn’t make it home. The plaque is relatively small and you may have to look for it, but stop by, take a photo and remember what we owe them.

Although the Maritime Museum doesn’t open until 10am the buildings surrounding it are worth a visit themselves. This is the Albert Dock area. For anyone interested there is the Tate Art Gallery in the dock. This is one of the finest modern galleries outside London, so I’m told. Admission is free, but again it doesn’t open until 10am. Those of you more interested in art can substitute the Tate for the Maritime Museum. Or do both! http://www.tate.org.uk/liverpool/information/

After taking a look around the Pier Head and Albert Dock buildings, it should be time for the Maritime Museum to open at 10am. Again, admission is free, and inside you can find information and exhibits tracing the maritime history of this great city from its earliest beginnings right up to the present day. My favourite exhibit is the Titanic exhibition (remember Titanic was registered in Liverpool, the home of the White Star Line) or the ‘Liverpool in WW2’ area. You can spend up to two hours in here quite easily. There are also outside exhibits such as the Harbour Master’s house and many boats are open to the public. I suggest you stay here for an hour or so. For those who like the Beatles there is a Beatles Museum (entry fee applies) at the Albert Dock. There are also tours which leave from around here. Be aware that this is a tourist area so it will get busy in July. You can get more info, and even book a tour online at

http://www.albertdock.com/

After you have finished at the Maritime Museum, you should walk back to the Pier Head (you’ll only be a couple of hundred yards away) and take the Mersey Ferry tour. Check out the timetable, so you’re not waiting too long. You can find this and even buy your (cheap) tickets online at: http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/

The tour will take you about an hour. You can get a snack lunch onboard. After the tour you can then head up into Liverpool proper. Don’t forget you will still be right in front of your ship, so you can even go back on board, freshen up, have lunch and still have a full afternoon ahead.

A taxi up into the city centre will cost very little, as it’s only half a mile or so right up to say Lime Street Station. However, it’s much more interesting on foot. Remember that you are walking in the footsteps of your forefathers when you walk through Liverpool, as something like nine million people passed through the port en route to the new world.

Also look around you and try to imagine it as it was in 1941 after the German bombing campaign reduced the city’s buildings to rubble, but couldn’t crush it’s spirit. Just google ‘Liverpool blitz’ and you’ll see what I mean.

For an interesting walk into the city you should walk up Water Street. On your right you can see India Buildings, which housed the offices of some of the world’s biggest shipping lines. At the top of the hill, just before Dale Street, you can see the Town Hall. This is an interesting building. I’m not sure if it’s open to the public or not, but I don’t think so. Worth a photo, as it was built in 1754.

Carry on up Dale Street until you get right to the end. Stay on the right hand side of the road so that you can navigate your way across the roads around the entrance to the Mersey Tunnel. You want to cross over to the bottom of William Brown Street to see the magnificent buildings there. If you want more art galleries or museums then you have two of the best here. The World Museum would take you hours to get around as would the Walker Art Gallery (entry to both is free). Visit these if you wish, but DO NOT MISS St George’s Hall, which stands proudly at the top of the hill. The entrance is actually at the other end of the building in St John’s Lane. Go into the Heritage centre and follow the (free) guided tour through the law courts and the magnificent hall itself. It’s a real unmissable building. See what I mean at: http://www.stgeorgeshall.eu/

By now it will be mid-afternoon and I think your ship sails at 7pm. You can now decide between two alternatives. Those of you who enjoy shopping can head into the centre (a couple of hundred yards away) and visit the shopping centres in Church Street, Lord Street and the new ‘Liverpool One’ Centre.

Those of you still craving culture should jump a cab up to the Anglican Cathedral (no more than £2-3) and visit the first of our two cathedrals. After visiting the Anglican Cathedral, take a walk back along Hope Street to see the magnificent Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ The King (Paddy’s wigwam to the locals). This was finished in 1967 and mass was said here by Pope John Paul II in 1982.

After shopping or visiting the cathedrals, you will probably be ready to go back to the ship, hopefully with a hatful of memories of a wonderful city. I should know, I’ve been here over 50 years!!

All the activities I’ve scheduled for the morning are within a few hundred yards of the ship and are within easy, flat walking range. Everywhere I’ve mentioned is wheelchair accessible. Have a fantastic visit to my city, then go and tell the world!!

I not only get busses in Liverpool , but I do walk in our great city...

What TC has typed, is great, and I would advise printing it off and taking it with you...

Seems a bit out of date on some of the cab fares...

But some of the places I would suggest that you can see, and its only a short walk from the terminal is..

Liverpool Parish Church of Our Lady & St Nicholas..

google the name its right opposite the Pier Head/Liver Buildings

Water Street...Opposite the Liver Buildings...

Places to look at and go inside

India Building...Magnificent

Oriel Chambers...Often stated as the model building for skyscrapers

The Town Hall, and behind it Exchange Flags, and The Western Approaches Museum...www.liverpoolwarmuseum.co.uk

All the above are a few minutes walk from where you dock and well worth looking at...would be a shame to miss them

I not only get busses in Liverpool , but I do walk in our great city...

Seems a bit out of date on some of the cab fares...

I do get to walk around the city a lot, but I don't do cabs either. Haven't been in a cab in Liverpool since about 1978!!:o

I do get to walk around the city a lot, but I don't do cabs either. Haven't been in a cab in Liverpool since about 1978!!:o

So in my opinion , I would not comment on things I have not done..Can be misleading to others...

I think the lack of Princess tours to Wales and the Lake District of England for our cruise is due to our port time of 11:00-9:00. The July 17 British Isles cruise is in Liverpool from 7 a.m.-7 p.m., and has more day time for the longer tours.

So in my opinion , I would not comment on things I have not done..Can be misleading to others...

Yes you probably have a point. I'll leave public transport up to you then.You seem to know a lot about it and no doubt your knowledge will be very useful to our visitors.:)

We'll be on Maasdam, docked in Liverpool on 8 August 2010. We'd like to use a hop-on-hop-off bus. I see several operate in Liverpool. Can you advise on which is the best in terms of having a stop nearest the cruise ship dock where we can board when we get off the ship, and/or perhaps having live narration, more frequent buses, more comfortable seating, longer hours, or anything else that would help us decide which one to use?

Perhaps they are all equivalent -- but perhaps not. We loved sightseeing in Boston on the Boston hop-on-hop-off trolley buses, and although there were competitors, we felt that one was the best. We are hoping to make a good choice for seeing your city, too, and will appreciate any insights you have for us.

Thanks!