pros and cons to last second booking ?

cruzin w chris

we are seriously considering booking within the week for a mid feb cruise and we are wondering what the pros and cons are to doing this. thanks

Pros: You may end up getting a very good deal (last minute offers) if that particular cruise has not sold well.

Cons: There may be no good selection of rooms left.

Your only con is getting to the port. Since the airlines in the past 6 months have greatly reduced the number of flights each day, getting a flight could prove impossible, especially if you're from a smaller city.

A smaller con is even finding space available. February is a very big time to cruise, especially with President's week when there are tons of families on board, so finding anything available could prove tough

I keep looking at some of the current fares and wishing we had more time off to go, I'd book last minute in a second if we had the time and could find reasonable airfare.

Depending on where you are going, planning and shore excursions could be an issue. Lots of people research their destinations and book with the most popular/best tours and tour guides far ahead of time, so you might not be able to get the excurions you'd most like. I find I usually get a lot more out of a port (and a ship for that matter) if I have time to research and plan ahead for it.

If you are just going somewhere for the beaches though, that shouldn't be a problem. Just do a little research on the best beaches and take a taxi.

....oh and if you don't have time to buy a really big suitcase, finding room for me to hide in your luggage could be a problem as well :D

I booked a last-minute cruise for us the day before Thanksgiving. The cruise left Dec. 20 and returned Dec. 24. Airfares were high--over $300 (which is more than the cost of the cruise). I decided we would drive from Raleigh to Miami--about 13 hours total, depending on traffic. I figured out the amount of money we'd spend to park at the port ($20 a day), hotels on the way down and way back (I did not want to drive it all in one day), meals, etc. It was coming up less than half the cost of flying.

But a week before the cruise, I was checking airfares again and found a flight for less than $220. We had a much better time by not spending so much of our vacation on the road.

We're booked for another cruise in eight weeks. Once again, I waited until after the final payment date to book it. I found an acceptable airfare on Southwest--still more than I'd like to pay. Hotels in downtown Fort Lauderdale are booked up or else very expensive. I found a good rate for the Holiday Inn Express in Plantation through Hotwire.

So far, we're on the waitlist for second seating. We booked a guarantee cabin and don't have our assignment yet. The ship is our primary destination, so excursions don't really matter to us. So far, I don't see any showing up as waitlisted on Holland America's website.

If you are just looking to get away and the actual ports and cruise line don't matter, you should be able to get a great deal.

I went on my first Carnival cruise that way. Our TA called to tell me that she had a cabin available about 2 weeks before the cruise. We decided that we could enjoy ourselves no matter where the ship went because we just wanted to get away for a week. We wound up getting a cheap flight to LAX and got on the ship right from the airport. Maybe because we had no expectations except to enjoy ourselves and have some sunny warm weather, we had a great time and found that the Mexican Riviera is a wonderful area to cruise.

If you HAVE TO have certain things to make it a good cruise, then last minute might not work, like other posters said, you might not get a good location for your cabin, you might not get the seating you want (if you want traditional), airfare can cost more than the cruise, packing has to be fast, excursions might be booked. If you just want to have fun, then I advise that you go for it. Sometimes the best times in our lives come from surprises.

I hope you decide to go, have a wonderful cabin, and enjoy the whole experience...Marsha

Archived