Passport Question

Jefflaw77

I am taking a cruise from San Juan to New York. May 17 - May 24.. I am flying from NY to San Juan on the 17th. And will be disembarking in NY (where I live) on the 24th.

Based upon what i've read, TECHNICALLY, i will be able to go on this trip WITHOUT a passport, but will need a Drivers License ID and a VALID Birth Certificate. It seems as though that the cut off date is JUNE 1, 2009..

Since I am flying to San Juan, this is considered a Domestic flight, and thus will not need a Passport. I am getting on a Cruise in an American port, (San Juan) and going to a few caribbean islands BY SEA and disembarking (arriving) in a U.S. Port (New York) by sea, and won't TECHNICALLY need a passport for the dates of May 17 - May 24..

Can someone confirm that my interpretation of the new laws is correct. I know that it is strongly suggested to get a Passport, but I do not anticipate traveling outside of the Country for over a year or more after this trip..

If you can help, thanks..

jeff

"technically" you do not need a passport for cruise travel in the Caribbean. That being said, not getting one is a little foolish at this point, because you cannot travel by air back to the US. God forbid, you or someone you are travelling with become ill and need to go home by air (or any other emergency for that matter), you will not be able to come into the US/fly without one. It's very painless, takes 5 minutes at the post office and you'll receive it in less than 2 weeks. we got them for the kids in September and had them in our hands in just one week, and that was not express service, just regular. Get one and play it safe.

I believe that you're technically correct in this situation. But, here's the problem ... in the unlikely event that you would become ill, or have some sort of accident, in one of the foreign ports, and need to be hospitalized or fly home from that country ... you'd have a major problem. That's the main reason you're strongly encouraged (even required on some lines) to have a passport even if the law doesn't "officially" require one. Get one ... it's good for 10 years!!!

Technically correct, however after June 1 you are stuck and even though you have no intention of leaving the US (even for Canada or Mexico), if you decide on a quick trip you will need a passport. I would think it better to get it out of the way no and have no worries for the future.

Enjoy you cruise!

I did a cruise out of San Juan last year and saw quite a few people without passports. The reason I saw so many is that they all got stuck at customs. For some reason they were being especially critical of people who only had birth certificates, while the rest of us with passports just zoomed right through. Don't risk it...just get one.

Get the passport. As others have said, while your interpretation of the law is correct, you cannot fly home from any other port should the need arise. And not anticipating travel overseas for at least a year is really a non-issue as the passport is good for ten years. Plus, it's good to have one even here at home. I can think of three occasions when I used mine as proof of identity right here in the U.S. (once was for an I-9, of course). It's the single best piece of ID you can have, bar none.

And there's something magical about holding one -- it may be corny, but to me, every time I get mine renewed, it's a very exciting affirmation of my citizenship, like the full majesty of the American government stands behind me (sorta like those Veirzon ads, but without that geeky guy in front -- instead it's a geeky George W. Bush -- well, for a few more days, then it'll be a geeky Barack Obama -- but you get the idea). That's way cool.

The passport is good for 10 years so why cut corners now? If you have a passport no questions will be asked no matter how you travel or where.

Puerto Rico is a possession of the USA. Puerto Ricans are USA citizens just like the rest of us with all the rights and privledges. That is one of the great positive points in sailing out of Puerto Rico in that you will be in the USA. I love it when someone asks how so many Puerto Ricans moved to <USA city>. My response is that they probably came on an airplane.

I would think that if you have no passport you will not be allowed to get off the ship at any of the other ports....most islands now require passports to be able to enter. A passport is the best form of identification and always best to have one.

I would think that if you have no passport you will not be allowed to get off the ship at any of the other ports....most islands now require passports to be able to enter. A passport is the best form of identification and always best to have one.

Just got back from 2 weeks on the Sea Princess around the Caribbean, and didn't need our passports once, not even Caracus Venezuela.

The passport is good for 10 years so why cut corners now? If you have a passport no questions will be asked no matter how you travel or where.

Puerto Rico is a possession of the USA. Puerto Ricans are USA citizens just like the rest of us with all the rights and privledges. That is one of the great positive points in sailing out of Puerto Rico in that you will be in the USA. I love it when someone asks how so many Puerto Ricans moved to <USA city>. My response is that they probably came on an airplane.

Sounds like the overwhelming majority recommend getting the passport.

Now, not meaning to go off topic but it is somewhat off topic, I seem to recall Puerto Rico voting in the primaries but isn't it Article II that references PR cannot vote in the general Presidential election? And Guam doesn't vote in the general election either I don't think...

Now, not meaning to go off topic but it is somewhat off topic, I seem to recall Puerto Rico voting in the primaries but isn't it Article II that references PR cannot vote in the general Presidential election? And Guam doesn't vote in the general election either I don't think...

Yes, you are correct. Residents of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands may not vote for President -- to be exact, they have no representation in the Electoral College (unless they have residency in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia and vote by absentee ballot in that state). They can and do have primaries, in order to select delegates to the national nominating conventions, but they do not actually vote for president on election day. Incidentally, residents of the District of Columbia only got presidential-election voting rights with the 23rd Amendment in 1960.

The various Caribbean islands require a passport if you are entering via a commercial airline. Ship pax calling on the port are not required to have or show a passport - so far! However if you get the privilege of visiting the local constabulary under less than ideal conditions, you probably will be required to show a passport - strictly their decision.

The residents of PR vote in the primaries but not in the presidential election as is true of USVI, Guam and other territories. You have to have residency in one of the 50 states or DC to vote in the presidential elections as stated previously. They have non-voting members in the US House of Representatives to represent the territory. The residents of PR do not pay federal income tax, but their commonwealth tax is rather stiff.

We're doing a big family cruise at the end of February on the Crown, and nearly all of them had to get their passports for the first time. I had to get mine renewed (Cruise lines won't accept them unless you have at least six months of validity left when you sail). That said, I got mine turned around in less than three weeks, and everyone else got their brand new ones in about two weeks. This was all without paying the extra fees to expedite, so it's really the smartest idea to get them now. :)

Archived