Excursions - does this look sensible

uktog

I posted once before asking advice on excursions and you all rightly said, go away and think what you really want to do - well we have.

We are travelling on Infinity - 3 September stopping at Ketchikan, Skagway, ISP, and Juneau. It is a special trip - I would not want you to think money is not object but we may not ever be able to come back so want to get a real feel for everything and have a variety - rather than do Glaciers every stop. We also do not want to exhaust ourselves and love just walking around places so want a little time to do that

With the exception of Juneau where intend to use Captain Larry, we will book through the ship in advance of travel.

The plans are

Ketchikan Misty Fjord Cruise and flight

Skagway Whitehorse Pass on the train and Glacier Explorer by helicopter with 2 landings (question - can we fit both in we are there from 10-2100)

ISP - Some bear watching

Juneau - Captain Larry Whale watching and possibly also a trip up to Mendehall (can we be dropped off there by someone?)

Right folks - tear this to shreds!!!!! What would you do different - should we aim to land on more than one glacier etc etc

Thanks for the advice

Myself- I find the Misty Fjords flight/sail tour taking up way too much time and greatly prefer just the flight. Independent companies also are superior here- allowing you off the plane in the fjords and more personal tours. Going with the ship tour on the planes will be more shuttle like. Companies to consider- Southeast Aviation, Carlin Air and Island Wings. I have flown with them all and excellent operators. the train is 3 1/2 hours, you have plenty of time- IF YOUR schedule allows? You are late arriving for the 8:30am train, but there probably is a ship contracted rail- book the first available. Orca Enterprises does drop off at Mendenhall Glaicer- but this needs to be arranged and VERIFIED in advance. Then just take the $5 shuttle back to downtown. Check out the ranger board if you have spare time.

I posted once before asking advice on excursions and you all rightly said, go away and think what you really want to do - well we have.

We are travelling on Infinity - 3 September stopping at Ketchikan, Skagway, ISP, and Juneau. It is a special trip - I would not want you to think money is not object but we may not ever be able to come back so want to get a real feel for everything and have a variety - rather than do Glaciers every stop. We also do not want to exhaust ourselves and love just walking around places so want a little time to do that

With the exception of Juneau where intend to use Captain Larry, we will book through the ship in advance of travel.

The plans are

Skagway Whitehorse Pass on the train and Glacier Explorer by helicopter with 2 landings (question - can we fit both in we are there from 10-2100)

ISP - Some bear watching

Juneau - Captain Larry Whale watching and possibly also a trip up to Mendehall (can we be dropped off there by someone?)

Right folks - tear this to shreds!!!!! What would you do different - should we aim to land on more than one glacier etc etc

Thanks for the advice

If you prefer to book off the ship, you've picked some good excursions. We have done all of these tours except ISP (new port) and White Pass is definitely better off the ship -- IMHO it's way way too much hassle to arrange (if you can) independently to save a very very few dollars. The Misty Fjord tour depends on the cruise line. Some of the excursions land in the Fjord etc. just as the independents do and are in fact operated by some of hte same companies.

And no one will tear you to shreds:eek: For one thing, it's against policy ;) .This and all our forums offer an opportunity to exchange information and opinions and it's your vacation. As I've said time and time again, people have their own priorities and inclinations (and budget) when planning a trip and whether you book off the ship or take the time to research and do on your own, you will have a wonderful time in Alaska.. There is no "right" or "wrong" here! Take the opinions and advice and decide what is right for you.. We have booked independently quite a bit since I know a lot of folks in Alaska but have also done ships tours.

Well, all I have is one opinion and I would never think of shredding someone elses idea. I assume from your Sep 3 Infinity info that you are doing the RT from San Fran., which means you are probalbly from the bay area or want to see SF? We have considered that cruise a couple of times based on great prices here in No Calif. but always chose one way southbound from Seward to Vanc with at least a week to explore Alaska. That means you are not doing any pre or post time in Alaska. You also do not mention whether you are trying to see wildlife or more interested in trees and landscapes.

We were on the Summit on Sep 3rd this yr and went to the same ports. Since we had engine trouble, our schedule was adjusted, and we lost about 14 hrs of port time and had Hubbard Glacier right at formal dinner time. We did enjoy the Celebrity experience, the ports, especially ISP and Skagway which we had not seen before. We had rain in Juneau, but still saw whales with Capt Larry. Carol and the whole staff did great job taking care of us late arrivals, and took us out to Mendenhall for about an hour (plenty in the rain) then picked us back up to take our whalewatching tour. That took up most of our time in Juneau since we were six hrs late getting there.

Ketchikan, we did the Misty Fjords Flt with Southeast, which was nice. No wildlife although we did see some goats on flt in and they had bears most of the day where they landed. None for us. This is nice, lots of trees, nice peaceful landing area, but there are better flights. Creek Street is nice area to walk around. City tour and Saxman village are nice also, just make sure Saxman is open before you book with anyone.

ISP was the highlight of our cruise trips. We did the whalewatching which was right in the middle of our time , lasted 3+ hrs and was the best we have ever had, with a sunny day and tons of whales. We did not have time to go bear viewing here where results were mixed, some seeing four or five bears, some seeing one, and not close. Also did not see Hoonah, which we were really looking forward to, but no time.

Skagway, we rented car and drove White Pass to Emerald Lake, had lunch in Carcross. Beautiful drive, nice weather, no wildlife. Someone here should have copy of Infinity excursion booklet with times of tours. You need t allow time to be late, or get from one tour to the next, plus be back on ship 1/2 hr before sailings. Good luck and ask lots of questions. I have posted pictures from our trip for the same ports at

http://community.webshots.com/user/jqgof

Thanks for all the advice - we are from Scotland so long distance planning is fun! For most of the time, we will use the cruise ship to arrange things as I like someone else to take the responsibility. I have looked now at Island Wings for the Fjords so we have more time in Ketchikan itself. I am not sure if it is trees, nature or what we want - I think it is a real variety we are after and no doubt we will be posting again and again in the coming months

By the way thanks for all the comments re my invitation to "tear to shreds" - over here in the companies I work for that phrase is in fact a positive indication that one is looking for all the flaws to be found in their plans and that people should not hold back on their ideas.

Right now I am off to sort out our hotel in SFO ( a favourite city of ours) and Seattle (a new experience we are going to treat ourselves to at the end of our trip)

Thanks for all the advice and any more hints are very very welcome

The plans are

ISP - Some bear watching

Sounds to me like you chose wisely! I did the plane/boat combo to Misty Fjords= it was wonderful. I enjoyed the boat portion better.

In Skagway, the train was wonderful as well. My all time favorite shore excursion.

In Juneau I have visited Mindenhall Glacier. It's well worth the time. I was however part of a pre-packaged tour. If you go, I suggest skip the visitor's center and do the walk down to the lake's edge and waterfall.

For clairfication- the independents for Misty Fjord flightseeing allow you off the plane ON TO LAND, the ship booked tours almost always do not and only lake land, allow you off on the pontoons then back on the plane. As for being the same company ship or independent- none of my mentioned companies ship contract. Usual ship contractor is Taquan, Pro Mech.

If you are booking Misty Fjords or any tours independently, please clarify exactly what is being offered next year so you won't be disappointed! Same goes for ship tours.. They may modify them, even add new tours that may not be up on all websites now but will be by end of next month at least. Most have 800/888 numbers and email so it's not difficult to do. Ship tours also change so be sure to check cruise line website if you are planning to book these and don't go by what was offered last year.

Misty Fjords is lovely and a lake landing is gorgeous as is a "land landing"... it's very ethereal there, high cliffs, very dramatic scenery. If you do this either through the ship or independently you won't be disappointed.

For clarification, for our Misty Fjords flight with Southeast Aviation with the tour saver coupon in Sept, we DID NOT GET TO GO ON LAND!! We stood on the pontoons for about 5-10 minutes and off we went back to Ketchikan. With our flight with Island Wings in 2002, we did stop on a lake and walk around a small island.

Archived